2020 Texas Rangers Offseason

CowtownHorn

Who cares anymore. The way you win in this league is to either spend like the LA and NY teams, or be so good at drafting and development that you can stock the roster with good, cheap players AND have enough on the farm to trade for what you are missing.  Like Houston has done. Think about Correa, bregman, springer, gurriel, all coming up at the relative same time, plus Alvarez, and what they had that they used to get McCann, verlander, and cole. 

Texas isn’t willing to spend and has zero track record of draft/development. Shit show. 

Per Levi

Out on Donaldson now too.  

I know next year they'll be average.  About like last year. 75 or 80 wins.  There will be good runs and good weeks but I almost think I would lean to trading everyone not named Gallo, Solak, Guzman and Willie and see if you could rebuild.

14 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Per Levi

Out on Donaldson now too.  

I know next year they'll be average.  About like last year. 75 or 80 wins.  There will be good runs and good weeks but I almost think I would lean to trading everyone not named Gallo, Solak, Guzman and Willie and see if you could rebuild.

if the asking price for Doucherson is as high as what is being reported, good.

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Wow this season is going to suck. At least we'll suck in an air conditioned park?

I'm 100% convinced this ownership only cares about the bottom line.  They know they will get an attendance boost year 1 regardless just because of the novelty of the new park.  I don't think they give 2 shits if this team wins as long as they aren't 'worst team in the league' bad.

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

why is that a wrong statement?  you want to give up what few prospects they do have and further deplete the system for a guy that can up and leave in a year or two?  thats asinine. 

Our farm system is shit either way. Go get a proven all star and show some semblance of give a damn.

I’d like to see how he plans to compete without the ability to develop prospects, low balling free agents, making questionable (at best) trades, and handing out albatross contracts after one year of success. How do you defend the guy? Because he struck gold once with josh Hamilton?

not defending past mistakes.  but trading the farm for 2 years of bryant is a bad move.  i wouldnt say that he low-balled rendon.  if they really put out 6/200 with an option for a7th, thats far from lowballing.  who have they lowballed recently?  asking because i cannot remember.  i remember the plan a few seasons ago was keeping the powder dry waiting for kershaw to come home, but that ship has sailed.  i think they want big free agents but arent going to go about it dumb like they did in the past (i assume the albatross you mentioned was Choo).  giving donaldson 75mil would have been as bad as choo, just less years.  and choo didnt have one year of success.  i guess i just defended a past mistake.

spending stupid money is bad.  trading away the farm is bad.  jd has been around long enough to do both and i am hoping that he learned a lesson and can build something.  that said, would have loved to have matched the angels offer and gotten rendon.  hurts to lose that one if he was really even interested in coming here.

I understand the ownership may be hamstringing him, but fair or not, sports are a what have you done for me lately business. 

Since Nolan left Jon Daniels has not made any GM moves that have given the appearance of hope for the future. If you don’t have results you sure as shit better have the appearance of hope.

JD has been pretty good at picking up value veterans that outperform out expectations. He's had some good prospects. My main beef with him is he tends to repeatedly produce the same kind of player, big power, shitty defense, terrible plate discipline. You need guys who play defense and get on base a lot and don't kill rallies with strikeouts. And you need some talented starting pitchers under the age of 45.

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

JD has been pretty good at picking up value veterans that outperform out expectations. He's had some good prospects. My main beef with him is he tends to repeatedly produce the same kind of player, big power, shitty defense, terrible plate discipline. You need guys who play defense and get on base a lot and don't kill rallies with strikeouts. And you need some talented starting pitchers under the age of 45.

Those kinds of players cost money. 

I think the main reason we're crying about losing out on Rendon is because that carrot was dangled out to us and then snatched away. What a shock, right? I don't think it's a big loss. He's probably one of the most overrated underrated player in the league. He kinda sucks on D, he's not young, he's a real good hitter, not elite, there's likely not a great deal more upside from here, only his eventual wearing out. He would have been a good piece in the starting 9, but not for the cost. Let the Angels eat it.

They drafted two college third basemen, 1 and 2, this year. They are expected to be ready by 2021, 22. Who knows, they may be ready earlier with some luck. What were they going to do with the other 6 years of Rendon's massive contract? I think Solak and some combination of guys can hold down the corner for a year or two.

Edited by DougO

22 minutes ago, DougO said:

I tend to agree.  I was very happy with their perceived shift in the last draft and hopefully it continues.

3 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

I understand the ownership may be hamstringing him, but fair or not, sports are a what have you done for me lately business. 

Since Nolan left Jon Daniels has not made any GM moves that have given the appearance of hope for the future. If you don’t have results you sure as shit better have the appearance of hope.

What moves did he not make to give you hope for the future?

55 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I tend to agree.  I was very happy with their perceived shift in the last draft and hopefully it continues.

From what I've read, Walker (as well as Jung and Wenzel) are supposed to be more contact first/Plate discipline types. Rather than just pure power

With Gallo playing a full year, getting any improvement in our SP outside of Lynn and Minor, the Rangers will probably be around 85 wins. Not enough to compete for the ALW, but possibly a WC spot. Especially if something serious happens to the Astros that might hamper them next year. And it looks like the Yankees will probably destroy  the WC hopes of the Red Sox and Tampa Bay.

Minor Lynn Gibson lyles and allard isn’t a dogshit rotation if the front two hold form. They aren’t a last place team. All you internet gm’s must have forgotten how hard it was to get to a playoff team.  And we are only what, 3 years removed from competing for the playoffs? Good Christ. 

18 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

From what I've read, Walker (as well as Jung and Wenzel) are supposed to be more contact first/Plate discipline types. Rather than just pure power

With Gallo playing a full year, getting any improvement in our SP outside of Lynn and Minor, the Rangers will probably be around 85 wins. Not enough to compete for the ALW, but possibly a WC spot. Especially if something serious happens to the Astros that might hamper them next year. And it looks like the Yankees will probably destroy  the WC hopes of the Red Sox and Tampa Bay.

Jung and Wenzel are both guys that can go 20 HR/40+2B/80+BB/<80K's at the plate.  They're not pure bombs away 3B, but they are going to hit to the gaps and hit for contact, and they're not going to strike out 140x per year.  

• Like 1

Feeling good so far about this offseason. Trying to make sense of where we stand and what's left to do. A few questions for you guys. I don't live in Dallas, so I'm a little out of it on current thinking.

1) What role does Nick Solak have this year? Does he start out splitting time with Odor? Can he play third base if we don't add someone via free agency?

2) With our starting five seemingly set as Kluber, Minor, Lynn, Gibson, and Lyles, will any of the younger guys like Allard, Burke, or Jurado be on the opening day roster? I guess maybe Jurado would be bullpen?  

3) Is Danny Santana our opening day CF unless we add someone else via free agency or trade?

4) Our returning bullpen guys are Chavez, Leclerc, Brett Martin, and Montero right now? Joely Rodriguez has been added. Anyone else?

5) Any chance Pence gets resigned?

Remaining priorities seem to be the following. This seem right?

1) Fill out the bullpen

2) Starter at 3B

3) Starter at 1B

4) Catcher upgrades over Mathis, Kiner-Falefa, and Trevino

5)  Upgrade centerfield

Edited by PappyVanVinceYoung