2020 Texas Rangers Offseason

CowtownHorn

7 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

No. Will be used for concerts, XFL, soccer, high school sports, etc. Plus, there’s still the existing business offices located where center field used to be.

Turning the outer bits into hotel and convention space. They are actually building a cool little complex out there. 

Would be super if they could find a way to run the DART out there. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2019/12/18/first-look-globe-life-park-arlington.html#g/465117/2

Edited by Gucci_Suit
Autocorrectedness

18 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Turning the outer bits into hotel and convention space. They are actually building a cool little complex out there. 

Would be super if they could find a way to run the DART out there. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2019/12/18/first-look-globe-life-park-arlington.html#g/465117/2

DART will never run out there. Arlington is nothing more than an entertainment town. Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Cowboys Stadium, Rangers. These places love their parking revenue. And they will fight and block any attempt to get any sort of public transportation to it. It sucks but that is the way they want it. I think Arlington is the largest city by far in this country with zero public transportation.

All the more reason why the Rangers would have been great for downtown Dallas. Besides being biased being a Dallas area resident, it's centrally located to way more people than Arlington and so many more alternatives to get to the ballpark. Trying to fight to Arlington in rush hour traffic during the week is a fucking beating and many won't even attempt it. Especially if we suck. Hell even on a weekend it's a beating getting to Arlington from many parts of the Metroplex.

Cowboys playing out there is fine because it's just 8 games a year and those are events you usually plan months in advance. I love the Mavs/Stars being in downtown because you can go on a whim. Ride the DART rail there and back for $5. Attendance would be much better even when we suck.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 12:39 AM, FondrenRoad said:

What happened to that Tarkenton claim?  700k or something?  Gone?  Your edit practically produced a whole new post.  

Regardless, plenty of squads could pay one player. Dallas paid them all. The comparison you're looking for is total payroll. Staubach was dropping back in air conditioned comfort. 

To be honest though, QBs are mostly overrated, so Landry was right to pay Staubach less and the O Line a little more.  Even in the 90s, Aikman was an above average QB.  Maybe even average. That offensive line was one of the best of all time. There were probably 10 to 15 QBs in the league that could have won the super bowl behind it. Hell, Trent Dilfer won one not long after that with a slightly worse O line and a better defense. And Dilfer sucks as a QB.

Not sure what happen to it. I must have pasted over it by mistake. But point still remains, Dallas did not pay well and they were known for their hard-line approach to salaries. Tex made the famous comment in one of the strikes about how the players did not understand that the team was ranch owners and the players were just cattle.

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

DART will never run out there. Arlington is nothing more than an entertainment town. Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Cowboys Stadium, Rangers. These places love their parking revenue. And they will fight and block any attempt to get any sort of public transportation to it. It sucks but that is the way they want it. I think Arlington is the largest city by far in this country with zero public transportation.

All the more reason why the Rangers would have been great for downtown Dallas. Besides being biased being a Dallas area resident, it's centrally located to way more people than Arlington and so many more alternatives to get to the ballpark. Trying to fight to Arlington in rush hour traffic during the week is a fucking beating and many won't even attempt it. Especially if we suck. Hell even on a weekend it's a beating getting to Arlington from many parts of the Metroplex.

Cowboys playing out there is fine because it's just 8 games a year and those are events you usually plan months in advance. I love the Mavs/Stars being in downtown because you can go on a whim. Ride the DART rail there and back for $5. Attendance would be much better even when we suck.

Yep, I get all that, and you’re right. 

I live in Austin, but my in-laws live central Dallas. I would see 10-15 more game a year if I could get on the train with my kids and be in Arlington in 30ish minutes or less. They may miss out on my $40 parking, but they’d get much more in tickets and concessions. Daddy can drink quite a bit. 

they could even charge me a game day surge charge. I don’t care. I just don’t want to drive. 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:20 AM, Vic Mackey said:

SIAP but did you know they're going to tear out a parking lot and build a giant conference center just west of the ballpark? It just makes the lack of DART even more painful. I'm a full season ticket holder and park near Subway southeast of the ballpark. $15 a game sucks and I know it's going to rise even more. As much as I love the Rangers and going to games, at some point I fear I'm going to go broke before I even make it to the seat. Parking, food, drinks, beer, etc. Thank god I don't have kids because it would be game over for me.

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Humperdinks shuttle

A whole of this. I'm pretty there are some other places too. I parked in the On the Border Parking lot once and had a couple of drinks and asked the bartender. He said they don't care unless it's a Friday or Saturday night. Just order something and let them know. 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:20 AM, Vic Mackey said:

Always heard it was Grand Prairie refusing to allow DART to lay tracks across GP. I don't think it's an Arlington thing and, yes, it is (or at least was back in the early 2000's) the largest US city without public transportation.

21 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Yep, I get all that, and you’re right. 

I live in Austin, but my in-laws live central Dallas. I would see 10-15 more game a year if I could get on the train with my kids and be in Arlington in 30ish minutes or less. They may miss out on my $40 parking, but they’d get much more in tickets and concessions. Daddy can drink quite a bit. 

they could even charge me a game day surge charge. I don’t care. I just don’t want to drive. 

Same

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

SIAP but did you know they're going to tear out a parking lot and build a giant conference center just west of the ballpark? It just makes the lack of DART even more painful. I'm a full season ticket holder and park near Subway southeast of the ballpark. $15 a game sucks and I know it's going to rise even more. As much as I love the Rangers and going to games, at some point I fear I'm going to go broke before I even make it to the seat. Parking, food, drinks, beer, etc. Thank god I don't have kids because it would be game over for me.

This is me.... 4 tickets @ say $40 ... then parking, couple a beers, coupla cokes, hot dogs for 4......$250 to go to a midweek game is the dealbreaker .... not the 16 minutes MLB is adamant about shaving off of a game.

I wonder what the Reds price on Nick Senzel would be, rumored to be dangled on the trade market. Played infield and outfield for the Reds last season, came up the ranks as a 3rd baseman, the type of high average hitter (theoretically) the Rangers could use.

TR has a pretty good write-up. It’s gonna be Pillar. 

The Rangers were interested in free agent Nick Castellanos as their first baseman, but he signed with the Reds.

The Rangers were interested in center fielder Starling Marte, and he was traded from the Pirates to the D-backs.

That leaves Texas examining its options at both positions with two weeks to go before pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training. The Rangers have Danny Santana to play center and Ronald Guzmán coming back as their first baseman, so the need does not seem dire.

But there is also the possibility of Santana fitting better as a multi-positional utility player and Guzmán needing at least a right-handed platoon partner at first. The Rangers are also not ready to lock in Guzmán at first against any pitcher.

Regardless, Texas may not be done building its team, especially after Monday’s developments with Castellanos and Marte.

“You can always get better,” Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. “There are certainly some areas that at a minimum add depth, if not an upgrade. But we feel good overall about what we have been able to do.”

Here are the Rangers' possible options at both positions still available:

Kevin Pillar (CF)
Put him at the top of the list at this point. Pillar, 31, is a seven-year veteran who hit .259 with 21 home runs, 88 RBIs and a .432 slugging percentage for the Giants and Blue Jays last season. He also stole 14 bags, although his career on-base percentage is .296. Pillar can handle center field, although not as good as he once did with Toronto.

Billy Hamilton (CF)
Another player being discussed by the Rangers, Hamilton is the ultimate “speed merchant,” a center fielder who can run it down as good as anybody but who has never taken off offensively. But Texas doesn't need him at the top of the lineup; the Rangers could bat Hamilton ninth and benefit from the speed/defensive elements.

Jackie Bradley Jr. (CF)
Boston's center fielder is signed at $11 million for this season. Bradley has been an All-Star and an American League Gold Glove Award winner, and the Rangers are interested if the Red Sox are willing to trade him. That may be on hold until Boston determines if it is going to move Mookie Betts.

Nick Senzel (UTIL)
The Reds took Senzel as the second overall pick in the 2016 Draft out of the University of Tennessee. Senzel was an infielder at the time, and the Reds switched him to center last season. He is described as a “good baseball player,” but center field is not his best position. Cincinnati does have an excess of outfielders, though, so Senzel could fit as another utility player.

Scott Heineman (1B/CF)
This guy has everything the Rangers need except Major League experience. Heineman is a right-handed hitter who can play first and center. He has played in 149 games at Triple-A the past two seasons and hit .307 with 19 home runs, 82 RBIs, 20 stolen bases, a .371 on-base percentage and a .463 slugging percentage. That would work nicely at the Major League level. Right now, Heineman is the No. 4 outfielder on the Rangers' 40-man roster, but the lack of big league experience is a drawback.

Nick Solak (2B/3B/CF)
Second base is Solak's best position, but third base is a possibility against left-handers, which would allow Todd Frazier to shift to first base. Solak has also played center in his Minor League career, but that possibility would seem more like part of a utility role than a full-time position for him.

Adolis García (OF)
This right-handed-hitting outfielder was acquired from the Cardinals this winter. He was a star in Cuba and hit 32 home runs at Triple-A Memphis last season. He also strikes out a lot, but he can play all three outfield spots.

Mitch Moreland (1B)
Like Guzmán, Moreland is a left-handed bat in need of a right-handed platoon partner. The difference is that Moreland has a proven track record and has a tendency to show up in the postseason almost every year. The Rangers have his phone number and know where to find him.

Yasiel Puig (CF/1B?)
Need a right-handed bat? Here he is. Puig hit .267 with 24 home runs, 84 RBIs and a .458 slugging percentage last season. He stole 19 bases and is just 29 years old. He hasn’t played center field since 2016 and has never played first base, but Puig could really shake things up in Arlington.

That is a depressing list after the start of the off season declarations. If I hadn’t had my hopes up then it’s still a better team than last year. Probably a .500 club.

And selfishly I love having the team in Arlington. I can hop on 30 and be there in less than 25 minutes from Fort Worth. I very rarely go to Stars and Mavs games.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ss13 said:

TR has a pretty good write-up. It’s gonna be Pillar. 

Pillar is a guy I actually had in mind if he could be had at a reasonable price tag. He has some bat, though streaky, good base runner, used to be a great defender, probably still above average, which would make him the best Rangers outfielder, defensively. Seems like a player who would be a great clubhouse guy, high effort player.

4 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Can he still play SS? Other than Andrus, the only other players still on the roster who played there last year is Santana at 6 games. And I can't think of anyone in the minors if Andrus is injured.

I’m pretty sure there will be people playing SS in the minor league system. 

Fuck yeah, I really, really, really like this deal 

The Rangers have reached a deal with infielder Matt Duffy, per Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports. It’s a minors pact with a $1MM salary if Duffy cracks the MLB roster. He can also earn up to $1.5MM in incentives.

Duffy, the 2015 Rookie of the Year runner-up in the National League, only just turned 29 years of age. He was an above-average offensive performer as recently as 2018. And Duffy is a versatile defender who could help fill out the infield mix in Texas.

Trouble is, Duffy has had a tough time staying on the field and consistently producing at the plate. He missed all of 2017 and made it into just 46 games with the Rays last year. Duffy wasn’t effective when he did play in 2019, turning in a .252/.343/.327 batting line. He also hasn’t graded as well in the field as he once did in San Francisco.

It’s an easy risk for the Rangers to take, particularly after the team missed on its top infield targets. Duffy could see action as part of the mix at third base and/or supplement the OBP-challenged Rougned Odor at second. At times, Duffy has shown just enough pop and plenty of glove while reaching base at a strong clip. If he can rediscover some of that mix and stay on the field, he could be a bargain for the Texas org.

He also would be our backup SS over someone like IKF. 

• Like 3

Here’s my next plan for a minor league deal. 

Domingo Santana, OF/DH – .253/.329/.441 (107 wRC+) in 507 plate appearances

The youngest player on this list (27), Santana has flashed tantalizing potential at times – especially during a 3.3-fWAR season with the Brewers in 2017 – but hasn’t been able to put it together on a regular basis. He got off to a hot start as a Mariner last year before tanking in the second half, in part because of a nagging elbow injury. And Santana earned good defensive grades as recently as 2018, but he was among the game’s very worst fielders last season (minus-17 DRS, minus-16.1 UZR). Whether he’ll be limited to mostly DH duties in 2020 remains to be seen, and that’s if he even gets a major league opportunity. No one has been connected to Santana in the rumor mill since the Mariners non-tendered him almost two full months ago.

Those defensive #s aren’t lying, but dude can mash. Bring him in for cheap, let’s see what happens. 

The Athletic ranks Adrian Beltre as the 52nd best baseball player of all time.  Great read if you have a sub.

Here's my favorite part.

And Beltré in Texas? Oh, it was beautiful. It was glorious. Over the next seven seasons, he hit .308/.360/.517, won three more Gold Gloves, played in the World Series, etc. And when people started adding up all the numbers through all the years, wow, it was like compound interest. Where did these numbers come from? He hit 477 home runs; only Mike Schmidt and Eddie Mathews among third baseman had more. He hit more doubles (636) than any third baseman except George Brett.

He finished with more hits (3,166) and RBIs (1,707) than any third baseman, period.

And all the while, he played third base like a dream. Beltré is 10th all-time in defensive WAR — that’s at any position — and among third basemen, it’s Brooks Robinson, Adrián Beltré and everybody else.

But when you think about Beltré now, when you remember him, no, that’s not the stuff you remember most. No, it’s the joy. All that joy. Where did it come from? Until he got to Texas, people knew of him only as an enigma, a great defender, a hitter who didn’t walk, a guy who had one incredible season in the mid-2000s.

Long live Adrian Beltre