2020 Texas Rangers Offseason

CowtownHorn

We should put a choo choo train in center. And come up with a clever name for the left field seats. And put some weird incline in center that features a flag pole. Then we should remove that hill and flagpole in a few years. And we should install some cameras in the outfield to start stealing signs.

I hate this stadium. Especially when compared to the Temple. Yes, a/c will be nice. 

On 1/31/2020 at 3:58 PM, ss13 said:

Here’s my next plan for a minor league deal. 

Those defensive #s aren’t lying, but dude can mash. Bring him in for cheap, let’s see what happens. 

Nah... Spy, he is the worst OF I've ever seen, and I'm old enough to have borne witness to the Rico Carty circus during the Rangers infancy.  Good luck with that, Cleveland.

If I'm JD, I am closely monitoring what is going on in Tampa.  It seems to me the front office brain drain is finally showing cracks in their usual solid judgment.  Too many OFs, 1Bs and DH types, something has to give.  They don't seem to have much faith in Nate Lowe, who is light-years better than Guzman.  And with the puzzling acquisition of Margot, perhaps Arozarena may be available.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Nah... Spy, he is the worst OF I've ever seen, and I'm old enough to have borne witness to the Rico Carty circus during the Rangers infancy.  Good luck with that, Cleveland.

Ask the 3 others posters in the Sea thread how fully aware I am of his defense last season. But he was decent before that, & Maz/Choo have made our eyes bleed for years anyway. 

And minor league deals are never a bad thing. Cle guaranteed though. 

I’d put in a waiver claim here if he gets to us. Just DFA’d by LAD to clear room for their new guys, has two minor league options remaining. Doesn’t play CF though. 

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=664247#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL

Garlick, 28, was far more successful than White last season. A 28th-round pick back in 2015, Garlick showed well in his brief MLB debut in 2019, slashing .250/.321/.521 with three homers in 51 trips to the plate. He saw time in both outfield corners during that stint. Garlick spent the majority of the year in Triple-A ball, where he was excellent. His .314/.382/.675 showing (23 HRs) in 304 PA was 45 percent better than the league-average line, per FanGraphs’ wRC+ metric.

Edited by ss13

11 hours ago, ss13 said:

I’d put in a waiver claim here if he gets to us. Just DFA’d by LAD to clear room for their new guys, has two minor league options remaining. Doesn’t play CF though. 

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=664247#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL

I hear Garlick has a tough time picking up the offspeed pitches...

spacer.png

Wilson:

Those holding their breath for the springtime addition of a big bat or center fielder need to go ahead and enjoy air again.

General manager Jon Daniels said that the Texas Rangers are not involved in any meaningful trade talks for an impact hitter, presumably third basemen Nolan Arenado or Kris Bryant, and that they are not planning to add a center fielder.

The Rangers, Daniels said Wednesday, are preparing to enter the regular season with the players they have in spring training.

“There’s nothing that is front-burner right now that I’m expecting to come to a head this spring,” Daniels said. “There will be a lot of conversations, I’m sure.”

A deal could come at the end of spring training or early in the season after teams gain a grasp as to how they stack up. It might not be until June or July before the Rangers get deeper into talks with another team. 

Daniels said the Rangers didn’t like the kind of deals it would take to sign the last batch of center fielders.

They spoke to Billy Hamilton about a non-roster deal, and Jarrod Dyson on a major-league deal. The Rangers did not pursue Kevin Pillar. All three have signed in the past week, thinning out an already depleted free-agent list.

Danny Santana is expected to play the most games in center field.

“We have to decide how we’re going to go about it,” Daniels said. “I think Danny comes in with the expectation he’ll get the bulk of the playing time out there, but we also like him in that versatile role. There’s a little bit of give there. We have to make a call.”

Third base has been addressed with the acquisition of Todd Fraizer, and catcher has as well with Robinson Chrinos. But, unlike Arenado or Bryant, neither is a logical fit at No. 4 and No. 5 in the lineup. 

Santana/Solak/Heineman/Adolis Garcia will get the majority of CF work. 

The real takeaway here is they want Solak as far from the dirt as possible. 

When the Rangers officially began spring training Monday with the first full-squad workout, Nick Solak was a center fielder.

It says a lot about the team’s plans.

The Rangers are open to Solak doing more than just working in center field. They are open to him winning the starting job there. In fact, they may just prefer it. It would allow them to turn Danny Santana into an every-day utility player who would get starts at several positions, including some in center field every week.

“Center field is [Solak’s] top priority,” manager Chris Woodward said. “If he shows well, he could get a lot of playing time there. We look at Danny right now as the everyday center fielder, but if Nick hits like we anticipate and continues to have the progression of quality at-bats, I’ll want to get him in the game more. In the infield, it just doesn’t fit as well. Danny is so good at moving around. A guy like that is priceless. And he likes it. I think 55 percent of him wants to play one position, but there is a big part of him that likes playing somewhere new and fresh every day.”

Solak had an .884 OPS in 33 games for the Rangers after a late-season callup. While Solak’s strongest position is probably second base, the Rangers are committed to Rougned Odor, at least to start the year. With the anticipation that Solak will again hit, the challenge is to find him enough regular playing time to keep him in the majors to start the year. The Rangers believe playing the outfield suits his fielding skills better than the infield. The Rangers also signed veteran Todd Frazier to play third base, though Frazier has expressed a willingness to play first when needed. If Santana is used as a utility infielder, Frazier would likely only have to slide across to first against left-handed pitching.

Getting Solak into the lineup regularly would give the Rangers the extra right-handed bat they’ve been seeking. With Robinson Chirinos, Elvis Andrus, Frazier, Solak and the switch-hitting Santana, the Rangers could start five right-handed hitters against lefty pitchers.

On 1/29/2020 at 2:35 PM, ss13 said:

Eli White would be first up from AAA if it was longer than a couple games. 

Scratch that, the Duffy signing has moved him permanently. 

Eli White is no longer being considered as a utility player. The Rangers have been impressed with the progress he is making offensively and want to anchor him in center field. Woodward said that if White’s bat keeps improving, he can be an “elite” center fielder.

TR’s Notebook

Jesus Christ, that Houston Astros offseason thread is just an embarrassment of aggyness.   It's amazing how easy it is for those guys to stand on their soap box and rail against the CFB cheaters in Norman and the SEC.  But once they're forced to confront their own cheating, they suddenly don't think there's anything wrong here and their true nature comes out.    

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Jesus Christ, that Houston Astros offseason thread is just an embarrassment of aggyness.   It's amazing how easy it is for those guys to stand on their soap box and rail against the CFB cheaters in Norman and the SEC.  But once they're forced to confront their own cheating, they suddenly don't think there's anything wrong here and their true nature comes out.    

its gotta be hard to come to grips with the fact that of the 3 world "championships"

world series - blatant cheating

1st NBA title - Jordan needed to retire

2nd NBA Title - Jordan didn't come back until halfway through the season.

legitimately could be 0-fer but can give them 1/2 of one.  Michael Jordan should never have to buy a meal or drink in the city of Houston ever again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

its gotta be hard to come to grips with the fact that of the 3 world "championships"

world series - blatant cheating

1st NBA title - Jordan needed to retire

2nd NBA Title - Jordan didn't come back until halfway through the season.

legitimately could be 0-fer but can give them 1/2 of one.  Michael Jordan should never have to buy a meal or drink in the city of Houston ever again.

The Astros cheating their way to a World Series win is a legit gripe.  Belittling the Rockets championships is just petty aggy shit, and this coming from a Mavs fan.  Dallas fans have plenty to be proud of without stooping to "what if" asterisk bullshit.  No one knows what would have happened if Jordan played and was in top form those two seasons.  The Rockets were the best in the NBA is it existed those two season.  Hats off to them.  That said, their fans can suck it.     

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

The Astros cheating their way to a World Series win is a legit gripe.  Belittling the Rockets championships is just petty aggy shit, and this coming from a Mavs fan.  Dallas fans have plenty to be proud of without stooping to "what if" asterisk bullshit.  No one knows what would have happened if Jordan played and was in top form those two seasons.  The Rockets were the best in the NBA is it existed those two season.  Hats off to them.  That said, their fans can suck it.     

OK, i'll give them 1.