2020 Texas Rangers Offseason

CowtownHorn

2 hours ago, ss13 said:

Just in case anyone was wondering, Lyles will be awful this season. Career 5.11 ERA coming to the big boy league after 11 decent starts rarely works. 

Perhaps. Sometimes things just click later in your career, though. Plus, this is a project that we've often gone into the season hoping for something to slot into the #2 starter role.

He debuted in 2011, he is what he is. 

Willie’s injury guarantees Heineman’s role on the team as our 4th OF. And I’d be surprised if ol’ boy IKF ain’t taking fly balls out in LF tomorrow. 

Edited by ss13

3 hours ago, ss13 said:

Joey & Choo only wear their flaps against lefties, bet he will too now. 

Damn, appears he used to. 

Gallo, who also hits left-handed, wears a flap that covers the right side of his face when he’s facing left-handed pitchers. Calhoun used to wear a similar flap, but stopped last season.

“The first thing I thought when he was hit was ‘man, I wish he was wearing his flap,’” Gallo said.

Edited by ss13

14 hours ago, ss13 said:

^ Make that 0-5, a cool .103 now with a sterling .291 OPS. I’m thinking him turning down a AAA assignment ain’t a real big issue. 

Scott Heineman to first!!!

I just noticed that ESPN stats listed him as first base not OF. I didn't realize he played 4 games there last year. I don't remember him playing any time there this spring training, but I haven't had as much time to watch/listen to the games. Anyone know?

On 2/20/2020 at 8:33 PM, ss13 said:

Don’t really agree with this, working a guy at 1B won’t fuck up his OF. And he’ll really be the 5th OF if Solak can fake CF. 

• The Rangers used outfielder Scott Heineman at first base last year to increase his versatility. This spring, the focus will be on outfield, since Heineman has a chance to make the team as a fourth outfielder.

TR’s Notes

• Like 1

All sorts of fun news in here. 

There is a possibility that both catcher Jeff Mathis and pitcher Jesse Chavez will not be ready for Opening Day.

News of their injuries, roster moves involving top Minor League players and a suspension for injured pitcher Yohander Méndez were all part of a busy, rain-soaked Wednesday morning in Rangers camp.

The day ended with the Cactus League game being called after five innings, a 6-4 loss for the Rangers against the Giants.

The details on the injured players:

Mathis: The 36-year-old suffered a pulled left hamstring during one of his at-bats against the White Sox on Tuesday. He has had an MRI, and the Rangers have yet to get the results.

Mathis is the second Rangers catcher to go down this spring. Catcher Jose Trevino is sidelined with a hairline fracture on his right index finger. Trevino is expected to be re-examined on Monday, but both catchers are questionable for the start of the season.

That could leave an opening for one of the non-roster invitees in camp: Blake Swihart, Nick Ciuffo or Tim Federowicz.

Chavez: Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said the 36-year-old right-hander is not going to be ready for the start of the season. Chavez had elbow surgery on Aug. 13 to remove a bone chip and wasn’t able to completely build up his arm in the offseason. He has been dealing with some shoulder weakness in Spring Training and needs more time to prepare for the season.

“We are not going to rush it,” Daniels said. “We are going to give him a couple of weeks to build up his strength before we get him back on a mound. The end of April would be a positive outcome to have him back in games.”

Méndez: He was placed on the suspended list for violation of his contract by seeking unauthorized outside medical care. Daniels offered no more details. Méndez has been sidelined since the beginning of camp because of left shoulder inflammation. He will remain at the Rangers’ complex to continue his rehab work.

Willie Calhoun: The Rangers are expecting Calhoun to be discharged from the hospital and be back in camp as early as Friday. He is expected to start the season on the injured list with a fractured jaw, and he has not completed the concussion protocol.

But the Rangers remain encouraged by the progress he is making after being hit in the mouth by a 95 mph fastball on Sunday.

“He is in good spirits and seems to be in a good spot physically and mentally,” Daniels said.

Just go ahead & put Mathis on the 60. He still gets to collect all his $, & we get his 40 spot. Come on, Swihart. 

And Mendez is a stupid mother fucker, but we could also steal his 40 spot too.