Xfinity mobile

Pancho

Anyone have this?

Unlimited data for $45 per month, and I think they use Verizon’s towers for WiFi.  Can’t seem to find how their speed when playing videos compares to AT&T though.  

Got rid of everythang else ATT except my cell, and I’m willing to switch too if this is a good enough deal like it seems. 

Should add, it’s 45 for people who are already xfinity customers 

All MVNOs are subject to a lower class of service than the underlying carriers. The real world impact will depend on where you are and what the situation is. 

The whole idea around the MVNO is that the carriers have idle capacity on their network. They sell this idle capacity at a cheaper rate but also give it a lower class of service as to not interfere with their native traffic. The contract can also state a limit on the throughput/bandwidth even when there's no congestion. The larger MVNOs will have more leverage to negotiate better class of service but the traffic will always by 2nd class at best.

If there is any network congestion, the MVNOs traffic will be throttled to make room for the native carrier's traffic. Also a network switch has a limit on the number of connections that it can handle at any one time.  For example, if that number is 1000 and there are 1200 people trying to connect at the same time to that switch, the lower class of service traffic will also be blocked from connecting to the switch which mean no call until the ports free up. Think immediately at the end of a UT football game when every makes a phone call to connect with others. You may wait some time before you are given a port on the switch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

is this english?

I don't fucking know. But, for example, Google Fi does not count/charge for data used through wifi. They only charge for data that's used through 3g or 4g or whatever. Wondering if Verizon is the same. 

Edited by Chopper

10 minutes ago, Chopper said:

fify

For example, Google Fi does not count/charge for data used through wifi. They only charge for data that's used through 3g or 4g or whatever. Wondering if Verizon is the same. 

i could tell you, but it won't make any sense until you sober up.

Because packets sent via wifi couldn't even be easily counted by a wireless provider, I doubt that they count that against your data.  No one does that.

For the record, it's all the same internet.  It's whether you connect via the provider's cellular radio or someone else's (your) wifi that determines whether you are charged for data.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Because packets sent via wifi couldn't even be easily counted by a wireless provider, I doubt that they count that against your data.  No one does that.

Do Verizon cell phones use wifi for voice calls, like Google Fi or Republic Wireless, or is their voice service cell-tower dependent? 

i believe all the major carriers support wifi calling. i know vz, at&t, and tmo does.  i would be really surprised if sprint does not.  not sure if that capability is extended to mvnos. however since moving to lte, it's all going over IP anyway. so mvnos "should" offer wifi calling.

Edited by crash_davis

15 hours ago, Chopper said:

Do Verizon cell phones use wifi for voice calls, like Google Fi or Republic Wireless, or is their voice service cell-tower dependent? 

To clarify the previous posts, the default mode of voice calling on any carrier is using cellular radio transmission, i.e. "minutes."

If your provider and your phone are capable, you can use wifi calling, which uses the internet, connected to through a wifi connection, to transmit voice much as a VOIP phone does.  Wifi calling uses neither "minutes" nor "data."