Matthew Rhys as Perry Mason HBO

Michael Knight

I can't believe they cast a Russian spy as Perry Mason

The first look at the new Perry Mason is out. Debuting in 2020 on HBO, the limited series is set in 1931 Los Angeles. While the rest of the country struggles through the Great Depression, the City of Angels has oil, the Olympic Games, talking pictures, evangelical fervor, and a child kidnapping gone very, very wrong.

Based on characters created by author Erle Stanley Gardner, the series follows the origins of American fiction’s most legendary criminal defense lawyer. When the case of the decade breaks down his door, Mason’s relentless pursuit of the truth reveals a fractured city and just maybe, a pathway to redemption for himself.

Perry Mason stars Matthew Rhys, John Lithgow, Tatiana Maslany, Chris Chalk, Juliet Rylance, Shea Whigham, Nate Corddry, Veronica Falcon, Andrew Howard, Jefferson Mays, Robert Patrick, Stephen Root, Gayle Rankin, Lili Taylor, and Justin Kirk

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The two reviews I read also indicated it was mediocre (maybe misguided?) but I went ahead and watched it and loved it. Most of the blurbs in the new previews talk about the look, and it is a beautiful production. I look forward to the rest of the season, and wonder how the transition will be made from private dick to attorney (if that’s even in the plans). 

Couldn’t be further from Burr’s Perry Mason character and TV show. 

If you're really interested in Perry Mason's background check out the old Warren William films from the 30's. He made 4 of them.

The 50's TV version with Raymond Burr was a much different character.

Edited by RPM

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

This was prominently on display during a season of Bosch, IIRC.

It's in the Bosch intro, too. That was the first time I heard the name. I'd seen it before in old movies but thought it was in San Francisco. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Never saw the tv version.  Loved the first episode.  I'm a sucker for Noir (does this count?) though, so I'll love most things set in this era.  Very L.A. Confidential feel.

You really should watch a few episodes. Raymond Burr was iconic and the scripts were well written. For a version closer to the HBO show, watch the Warren William Perry Mason films. He's already a defense lawyer and he's shady as they come. Just the guy you want to hire.

This is an excellent series. True, it got a little strung out in Ep 2, but a lot of shit happened they had to explain. That takes a few pages to do.

I'm really interested in the way they recast the roles (or did they? I haven't read the books) with Perry as a P.I., Paul Drake as a black cop, Della is not Perry's secretary and

Spoiler

apparently Perry was discharged for a homosexual encounter in the Army. 

i'm picking up too much of a comedy vibe to compare it to true detective.  doesn't have the suspense or creepiness that show has.   was the restaurant really called ptomaine tommy's?  

was disappointed he got steamrolled so badly by the movie exec.  seems like a seasoned detective would have had a better plan than that.  if he wants to be our hero and protagonist he's going to have to show more street smarts than that.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

i'm picking up too much of a comedy vibe to compare it to true detective.  doesn't have the suspense or creepiness that show has.   was the restaurant really called ptomaine tommy's?  

was disappointed he got steamrolled so badly by the movie exec.  seems like a seasoned detective would have had a better plan than that.  if he wants to be our hero and protagonist he's going to have to show more street smarts than that.

Yeah, he has good instincts just needs to work on his follow through. Either a character flaw or something that will evolve. Through two episodes he doesn't seem to have very good people skills.