Matthew Rhys as Perry Mason HBO

Michael Knight

So here is my theory......  probably glaringly obvious, but...

Spoiler

Sister Emily, or whatever, staged the kidnapping and the dead baby wasn't their baby.  It was some dead baby from the morgue that died of natural causes.  She has the baby stashed somewhere so she can bring it out and "resurrect" it.  She sees herself losing control of ministry to the money men and she is taking it back.  I can't figure out why the aggressively evil dirty cop is involved.

• Like 2

Ok, Lithgow sucks on the gas pipe; is Perry now going to reveal to us that he went to law school after WW1?  The team is in place with Della (L) and Paul Drake waiting in the wings.

I've read all of Rex Stouts, Raymond Chandlers,  Dashiel Hammetts (not the Black magazines), Ross McDonalds, John Sandfords, and Michael Connellys--but not a single Earle Stanley Gardner- so I don't know if the present series has anything to do with the original books, but, I'm mildly curious.

Just ordered the Kindling edition of The Case of the Velvet Claws.  Apparently the first of 55 cases.

Edited by idahorn
sp
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, idahorn said:

Ok, Lithgow sucks on the gas pipe; is Perry now going to reveal to us that he went to law school after WW1?  The team is in place with Della (L) and Paul Drake waiting in the wings.

There's that whole Bar exam thingy. I haven't read the ESG novels, but I've seen 1930's pre-code Perry Mason movies with Warren William. He was a shady lawyer that you wanted on your side. 

This is a re-imagining of the character. I'm not hating it. Mason's just a PI instead of a lawyer. He may never become a lawyer in this version, who knows? But Lithgow dying would certainly be a catalyst for him to suddenly graduate from law school on the GI Bill in the S2 premiere. Drake having been kicked off the force for cooperating with Mason will suddenly be available for PI work.

The band is getting together.

Edited by RPM

8 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So here is my theory......  probably glaringly obvious, but...

Reveal hidden contents

Sister Emily, or whatever, staged the kidnapping and the dead baby wasn't their baby.  It was some dead baby from the morgue that died of natural causes.  She has the baby stashed somewhere so she can bring it out and "resurrect" it.  She sees herself losing control of ministry to the money men and she is taking it back.  I can't figure out why the aggressively evil dirty cop is involved.

Spoiler

Just finished this weeks episode, had pretty much the same thought after Sister Snakefood started up again with the resurrection talk. So, why is this a plot line? It has to be related. I'm thinking Robert Patrick may be the one that hatched this thing up for whatever reason?

6 hours ago, RPM said:

There's that whole Bar exam thingy. I haven't read the ESG novels, but I've seen 1930's pre-code Perry Mason movies with Warren William. He was a shady lawyer that you wanted on your side. 

This is a re-imagining of the character. I'm not hating it. Mason's just a PI instead of a lawyer. He may never become a lawyer in this version, who knows? But Lithgow dying would certainly be a catalyst for him to suddenly graduate from law school on the GI Bill in the S2 premiere. Drake having been kicked off the force for cooperating with Mason will suddenly be available for PI work.

The band is getting together.

Perry was an officer in the flashbacks, so he went to college already?  Don't know how it worked back then.  

Also:

Spoiler

I heard a short podcast on NPR last week (with one of the writers?) talking about the history of the character and they implied at the end that Perry will either be an attorney or on his way by the end of the season.

FWIW, IMDB says John Lithgow is in 6 of the 8 episodes this season. Flashbacks?  Noir usually doesn't have a soap opera-ry scene where someone quickly gets rescued after a cliffhanger suicide attempt.  They usually cut to the funeral or someone finding the body.

When did they start having bar exams? Did people still “read” for the bar in CA in the 30’s?
The California Bar was formed in 1927, they show takes place in 1932. I cant figure out when the first actually California bar exam was.

The California Bar was formed in 1927, they show takes place in 1932. I cant figure out when the first actually California bar exam was.

I did a little digging after that post. It looks like there were oral exams up through 1917 with the voluntary associations in the state. Found that in a bar journal celebrating 75 year anniversary of the bar.

Mason could have gotten a battlefield commission or gone to college.  Seems like the story about how his dad wanted him to see what someone who worked behind a desk looked like might be a hint that he went to college before the war.

In the first episode, when Mason walks into his house, I thought I saw a quick shot of a diploma on his wall- May have already gone to law school.

i agree that Della Street is hot- just had a feeling they were going to make her a lesbian early in the season.

Mason’s “heavy” girlfriend is an interesting choice.

Like Drake, wish he was more involved.

2 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

In the first episode, when Mason walks into his house, I thought I saw a quick shot of a diploma on his wall- May have already gone to law school.

i agree that Della Street is hot- just had a feeling they were going to make her a lesbian early in the season.

Mason’s “heavy” girlfriend is an interesting choice.

Like Drake, wish he was more involved.

They could have done a better job casting Mason’s friend with benefits. The actress looks at least 15 years older than Rhys. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

28 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Wut? Rhys is 45. You think she looks 60+?

Veronica Falson is 53. But a very rough, Vic Mackey specia,l 53 years old. 

I guess they were going for a Salma Hayek type, and she's way too expensive/probably wouldn't do the show so they went with Falcon. She's a good actress and doesn't distract from the show. Just a minor quibble on my end. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Veronica Falson is 53. But a very rough, Vic Mackey specia,l 53 years old. 

I guess they were going for a Salma Hayek type, and she's way too expensive/probably wouldn't do the show so they went with Falcon. She's a good actress and doesn't distract from the show. Just a minor quibble on my end. 

I guess they were going for the hard drinking/hard living look and nailed it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So back in the 1920 - 1930's you could become an attorney if you apprenticed under a practicing attorney for 2 years? What a country! 

I was wondering when Hollywood's most famous attorney was going to be in the court room. 

best episode of the season.  writers take note, that's how you do it.  

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So back in the 1920 - 1930's you could become an attorney if you apprenticed under a practicing attorney for 2 years? What a country! 

I was wondering when Hollywood's most famous attorney was going to be in the court room. 

That's how it worked until the process was standardized with law schools.  You "read the law" with an attorney for a couple of years and then went out on your own.  By this time, there was a bar exam at least.

Edited by kevwun