Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

Those pizzas remind me of Sarah Huckabee Sanders (no cr).

But they look really tasty.

Agreed. I prefer an oval pizza. One end usually ends up fatter after getting it on the peel and launching it.

Not my pizza, but I prefer small slices like this. The kids waste less and the grownups get more variety before filling up.

e6ea88b0228ace656d873afd4a66288f.jpg

I'm with you Luke Duke.  I don't aim for an oval pizza, but a perfectly round homemade pizza looks like you cheated on the crust with something that was pre-made.  

On the 00 flour issue, I've used it on many occasions but I've concluded that it does not make a meaningful difference.  AP works just as well for me.  IMO, the keys to a good pizza dough are kneading it long enough (see Alton Brown's pizza dough episode) and letting rise slowly in the fridge overnight and then letting it rise again before you cook it.  And make sure you put enough salt in the dough. 

On 4/6/2020 at 2:55 PM, Landomatic said:

Looks amazing.  What did you cook it on/in?  My next step of this whole thing is to try to nail down the perfect wood fired pizza oven solution.  I'm convinced the regular oven isn't where it's at for the level I want to be at.

On 4/6/2020 at 5:25 PM, Landomatic said:

Thinking something along these lines...

https://www.kettlepizza.com

thankfully BA tested just about every way to cook a pizza

On 4/6/2020 at 10:05 AM, 52-80 said:

I have italian buffalo mozarella and DOP san marzano tomatoes and 00 flour, so i can tackle "real" neapolitan pizza next, but that was a good weekday substitute

so for years i've put off trying to make this at home for having held it sacred -- believing i needed the perfect flour milled by somebody's grandpa named giancarlo and tomatoes grown in the shaded foothills of mount vesuvius.

wrong.

it is stupid simple to do.  extremely quick to prep.  and nearly impossible to fuck up.

and because the dough is so thin - it cooks quickly and easily without needing a stone oven or fancy cooking implements.  i had a shallow metal baking tray heated in the oven.  slid the pizza on it at max temp (450f).  after a few minutes when the basil wilted just so, she was done.

this is going to be weekly food going forward

• Like 1

Finally got myself a pizza stone and a peel.  Both helped a ton.

Full disclosure, I intended to make the dough and sauce from scratch, but took the shortcut of jar sauce and a ball of pre-made dough last night due to the NFL Draft.

Major progress from my first attempt, but I have a ways to go until I'm what I'd consider to be really good at it.

Sausage and Pepperoni

xTkxg1.jpg

½ Pepperoni ½ Cheese

GA7iY3.jpg

I put the cheese over the meat on the first one and the meat over the cheese on the second one.  No difference in the end result that I could tell.

Final product - Sausage and Pepperoni

mY589f.jpg

½ Pepperoni ½ Cheese

7zL1jG.jpg

I just used that cookie sheet to serve it.  Did not cook it on it.

Homemade pizza is fun.  I could really get into this.

• Like 5

On 4/24/2020 at 7:12 AM, Landomatic said:

Finally got myself a pizza stone and a peel.  Both helped a ton.

Full disclosure, I intended to make the dough and sauce from scratch, but took the shortcut of jar sauce and a ball of pre-made dough last night due to the NFL Draft.

Major progress from my first attempt, but I have a ways to go until I'm what I'd consider to be really good at it.

Sausage and Pepperoni

xTkxg1.jpg

½ Pepperoni ½ Cheese

GA7iY3.jpg

I put the cheese over the meat on the first one and the meat over the cheese on the second one.  No difference in the end result that I could tell.

Final product - Sausage and Pepperoni

mY589f.jpg

½ Pepperoni ½ Cheese

7zL1jG.jpg

I just used that cookie sheet to serve it.  Did not cook it on it.

Homemade pizza is fun.  I could really get into this.

T-minus 3 weeks until his pizza tools are for sale.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

T-minus 3 weeks until his pizza tools are for sale.

Haha right!?  That’s how I manage to stay married.  I just swap out everything else...a lot.  And even then, it’s touch and go without her having a make out girlfriend here and there 🤷‍♂️

I tried the crazy crust pizza in an iron skillet. Easy and comes out like a good pan pizza with a good crisp on the crust. Looks like pancake batter and looks thin but it cooks great in the iron. Cup of flour, two eggs, 3/4 cup of milk and some salt. 425 in the oven. Little effort and good pan pizza result. 7b3a87916088fca27843e769947bfb2e.jpg
73fcc5cc3431ad5a550c3ade8480dede.jpg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Then it would just be half pepperoni. Not half cheese, half pepperoni. What you have there is a cheese pizza, half pepperoni. 

Sorry dude...I’ve never delivered pizzas so I guess I’m just not down with the lingo.  You do you though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

9fd02e6cb7df626399f35c04bd573a15.jpg
Getting better...
Need to find better flour. Fuck you guys. Now I’m hooked.

Dude that's awesome.  I will happily accept partial responsibility and share in your addiction with you.

Crust...dry?  Hard to tell from the pics and you didn't really elaborate.  The crust is by far the most challenging thing about this new addiction of ours.

Dude that's awesome.  I will happily accept partial responsibility and share in your addiction with you.
Crust...dry?  Hard to tell from the pics and you didn't really elaborate.  The crust is by far the most challenging thing about this new addiction of ours.

Yep the crust was a little dry. I’ll try the butter brush next time.
-John L

6 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Yep the crust was a little dry. I’ll try the butter brush next time.
-John L

Also, I found that something as simple as putting plastic wrap on the bowl when you set the dough out to rise makes a huge difference.

But yeah, butter makes everything better.

Also, I found that something as simple as putting plastic wrap on the bowl when you set the dough out to rise makes a huge difference.
But yeah, butter makes everything better.

I did the plastic. I may have left it in the oven a bit longer than necessary.

Try this super easy dough mix for deep dish - the recipe specifies detroit style pan but works well with the cast iron skillet method, as well.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/detroit-style-pizza-recipe.html

• For the Dough:
  • 300g bread flour (10.5 ounces; about 2 generous cups)
  • 5g instant yeast (0.15 ounce; about 1 teaspoon), such as SAF Instant Yeast
  • 9g salt (0.3 ounce; about 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt or 1 tablespoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt)
  • 220g water (7.75 ounces; about 1 cup minus 1 1/2 teaspoons)
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed

Combine flour, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine, then add water and stir with a wooden spoon until a rough ball of dough has formed. Set aside for 10 minutes. Turn dough out onto a countertop and knead until a smooth, silky ball has formed, about 10 minutes. Transfer dough to a bowl, form a tight ball, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place until dough has roughly doubled in volume, about 2 hours.

For thin crust, NY style, I love this recipe:

https://feelingfoodish.com/the-best-new-york-style-pizza-dough/

Best tip for deliciousness - don't use SKIM mozzarella. Use whole. Also pepperoni - cut your own. I find that if you get a stick of DeLallo and cut it relatively thin, it curls up perfectly. Boar's head is good but doesn't curl. There's another brand I like, as well - Vermont Smoke & Cure. You can buy that on Amazon. 

Getting better.  I'll put the taste this round up against just about any.  Overall, just amazing flavors.

The part I fucked up on both was the shape.  I had the dough almost perfectly symmetrically round on both before I went to slide them into the oven.  Getting much better at the initial shaping with more practice.  But both stuck to the peel and got deformed on the slide in.  Had what I thought was a lot of cornmeal on the bottom of the first one.  Put a ton more on the second one.  Both got borked.  And yes @DDD Dad I still have my peel and stone...fucker.

First one - Classic Margherita

I'll admit I've never really appreciated the brilliance of a margherita before.  Or maybe I've just never really had a good one.  This was one of the best bites of pizza I've ever had.

Brushed the raw dough with EVOO and lightly sprinkled with salt.  Laid on some sliced peeled san marzano tomatoes from a can.  Used a paper towel to remove as much moisture as possible.  Added a few chunks of buffalo mozzarella and a few torn pieces of fresh basil.  Overall a very rustic feel.  Baked on a hot stone in 500* oven for about 10 minutes.  Drizzled with a little more fresh EVOO and a little finishing salt after pulling it.  Amazing.

xnr35o.jpg

Second one - Classic Pepperoni (didn't do half and half so @WhatTheBuck would stop breakin my balls)

Same EVOO and salt on dough as above.  Had some homemade sauce leftover from last week.  Sprinkled with grated low moisture mozzarella and laid on some pepperoni.  Cook time and temps about the same as above.  Drizzled with a little more fresh EVOO just like above but skipped the finishing salt because pepperoni is salty already.  Pretty damn good...but not as good as the Margherita.

wHBIHj.jpg

Overall, both slammed and went and stuff and I'm looking forward to giving it another shot soon.

haPdtN.jpg

Not sure what I need to do on the sticking to the peel thing.  I couldn't have used more cornmeal...especially on the second one.  I've seen both metal and wood peels used.  Haven't researched the purpose for either.  Is the wood the way to go?  Is one for the insertion and one for the extraction?  Does it have something to do with temperature or how long you allow it to sit on the peel before inserting?  Maybe just not enough flour when I originally shaped it?  Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance assholes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

how long you allow it to sit on the peel before inserting?  

Are you building it on the peel? The peel should only be for inserting. Build it on a well cornmealed wood surface, dust the (wood) peel with flour, and in 2 motions slide it under the pizza, move it to oven, and do a forward move with backward jerk to slide it off. Shouldn't be on the peel more than seconds. If it sits long enough to wet the layer of flour or cornmeal, it'll stick.

Metal peels are extraction only but are totally unnecessary.

Lazy alternative, build it on a sheet of parchment paper. Slide it in and cook on the paper. It won't stick to the paper when cooked.

22 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Are you building it on the peel? The peel should only be for inserting. Build it on a well cornmealed wood surface, dust the (wood) peel with flour, and in 2 motions slide it under the pizza, move it to oven, and do a forward move with backward jerk to slide it off. Shouldn't be on the peel more than seconds. If it sits long enough to wet the layer of flour or cornmeal, it'll stick.

Metal peels are extraction only but are totally unnecessary.

Lazy alternative, build it on a sheet of parchment paper. Slide it in and cook on the paper. It won't stick to the paper when cooked.

Yes, I've been building on the peel in an attempt to keep it from getting deformed while moving it to the peel.  I figured one trip off the peel would beat one trip on and one trip off.  But the moisture thing makes sense and it felt like that's what happened.  Will try it the other way next time.  Thanks.

That parchment paper thing sounds nice and all, but I just can't bring myself to fly in the face of authenticity that much.

I only have a metal peel and I use parchment paper. Honestly it's pretty flawless and unless one likes the taste of cornmeal I'm not sure I see any advantages to doing it another way. I've been making a lot of pizzas for the kids during shut down. I was able to score a 5# bag of shredded whole milk Grande mozz from a cheese store in Wisconsin online and got some DeLallo sticks shipped directly from DeLallo. I've been using the Serious Eats Detroit recipe for round and square alike because it's damn easy.

49870465171_7a2ff5d111_c.jpg

49859411406_66c2097de6_c.jpg

49859720587_40d02402c2_c.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

I was able to score a 5# bag of shredded whole milk Grande mozz from a cheese store in Wisconsin online and got some DeLallo sticks shipped directly from DeLallo. I've been using the Serious Eats Detroit recipe for round and square alike because it's damn easy.

49870465171_7a2ff5d111_c.jpg

giphy.gif

Also, what's a DeLallo stick?

Edited by DDD Dad

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Yes, I've been building on the peel in an attempt to keep it from getting deformed while moving it to the peel.  I figured one trip off the peel would beat one trip on and one trip off.  But the moisture thing makes sense and it felt like that's what happened.  Will try it the other way next time.  Thanks.

That parchment paper thing sounds nice and all, but I just can't bring myself to fly in the face of authenticity that much.

Try semolina flour mixed with regular flour on your peel (rather than corn meal).  

Pepperoni pizza for the boys. It slammed hard.  Other dough in the background was a margherita for my daughter and me (no pics of any kind).  Homemade dough following the Paul Hollywood recipe except added about a teaspoon of garlic powder to the dough.  All tasty. 

C8134D8D-3B7D-48C7-BEDB-FCC6E33C260E.jpeg

B4D5198E-C4E1-411C-B40F-3ADF203068BF.jpeg

• Like 3

I present to you...the tale of two pizzas.

Pizza #1 - Classic Margherita

Damn I'm starting to get this shit down.  Everything looking and tasting amazing.  Slid right on and off the peel.  Perfectly cooked.  Tastes fantastic.  Getting cocky.  Walking around the kitchen puffing my chest out.  Fist bumping myself.  What's up now bitches!?!?

8Xj9Fw.jpg

SEIxRd.jpg

pDiYEC.jpg

Pizza #2 - Spicy Sausage Half Pepperoni (did I get it right @WhatTheBuck?)

Wait for it...

FPe63Z.jpg

F7Julr.jpg

5e1MVR.jpg

Fuck me.  Still got a lot to learn.

• Like 2

You can get cast iron pizza pans.  My FIL gave us one a few years ago and it's work pretty great.  You don't have to use a stone with it.  My wife lets it heat up in the oven and then puts the dough on it and makes the pizza.  The crust turns out pretty great.

Edited by kevwun

21 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I present to you...the tale of two pizzas.

Pizza #1 - Classic Margherita

Damn I'm starting to get this shit down.  Everything looking and tasting amazing.  Slid right on and off the peel.  Perfectly cooked.  Tastes fantastic.  Getting cocky.  Walking around the kitchen puffing my chest out.  Fist bumping myself.  What's up now bitches!?!?

8Xj9Fw.jpg

SEIxRd.jpg

pDiYEC.jpg

Pizza #2 - Spicy Sausage Half Pepperoni (did I get it right @WhatTheBuck?)

Wait for it...

FPe63Z.jpg

F7Julr.jpg

5e1MVR.jpg

Fuck me.  Still got a lot to learn.

It’s why I build my pizza on the peel. Maybe that’s wrong, and it hasn’t always been perfect but I’ve mostly avoided this result.  Mostly. 

5 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

It’s why I build my pizza on the peel. Maybe that’s wrong, and it hasn’t always been perfect but I’ve mostly avoided this result.  Mostly. 

Yeah that wasn’t the problem.  I built it on the counter and got it moved to the peel pretty easily (just like the first one).  The issue was getting it from the peel to the oven.  Only difference between the first one (which slid right off) and the second one was the weight of the ingredients (much more on the second one) and that dough on the second one had sat stretched on the counter a lot longer so maybe it was flimsier?

It was a fucking disaster.  I’m sure I could have fixed it by either baking the crust a little before topping it, or going the parchment paper route...or both.  But I’d like to figure out how to get it right without those two cheats.