Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

Made dough for the first time on Thursday. Made a personal pizza Friday, tried a thin crust thing on Sunday that sorta kinda worked, then the leftover was mashed into a cast iron today for lunch. Far and away the best result. Once it sets up well and releases on the bottom, take out of the pan and onto either another pre heated upside down cast iron for pizza stone effects or just straight into the grate of its not leaking anything. bc8daab135cf173c2670479f025d6072.jpg587946faa24a7910c5c894df7e3877b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Made dough for the first time on Thursday. Made a personal pizza Friday, tried a thin crust thing on Sunday that sorta kinda worked, then the leftover was mashed into a cast iron today for lunch. Far and away the best result. Once it sets up well and releases on the bottom, take out of the pan and onto either another pre heated upside down cast iron for pizza stone effects or just straight into the grate of its not leaking anything. bc8daab135cf173c2670479f025d6072.jpg587946faa24a7910c5c894df7e3877b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Looks good. Dough recipe used?
  • Like 1

Thanks, I'm a total noob when it comes to baking and flour and dough etc etc. This is a wet dough. The day after I made it, it was not terrible to work with, sticky but I was able to form a small circle and do a mini pizza as a test run, about 8 inch pie. Couple days later I tried a bigger pie shape and couldn't get the thing to stop sticking to everything so I worked with a lot of flour on the table and hands and dough etc etc and eventually got a bigger thing made. Had a lot of trouble with the shape and getting it off the board onto the cooking sheet. It was not good in texture or shape or flavor and just boring. Made me start to doubt doing non deep dish ish pies with the tools I have. Today the remainder kept falling apart and wouldn't stretch out into a pie shape without ripping. All I wanted was a twelve inch pie. Was not happening. I said fuckit, doused the thing in olive oil, smashed it into my cast iron out of frustration, used a plate to smash further into the pan and into the edges, and just covered it with sauce and toppings and cheese. far and away the better pizza. I think I'm gonna bail on trying to make a "normal" pizza until I get a pizza stone/steel and a peel. Trying to hack what I have on hand to do the job has been a mess lol. Gonna stick to the cast iron deep dish format and just play with topping combinations and layers.

Is it worth the time and is it better than just buying the pre-made dough from the deli..... not sure yet. I'll keep trying but it's a work in progress.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html

Ingredients

• 22.5 ounces bread flour, plus more for dusting (630g; about 4 1/2 cups)
  • .5 ounces sugar (15g; about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
  • .35 ounces kosher salt (10g; about 1 tablespoon)
  • .35 ounces instant yeast, such as SAF Instant Yeast (10g; about 2 teaspoons)
  • 1.125 ounces Extra Virgin olive oil (32g; about 3 tablespoons)
  • 15 ounces lukewarm water (420g; about 1 3/4 cups)

Directions

1. 1.

Combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in bowl of food processor. Pulse 3 to 4 times until incorporated. Add olive oil and water. Run food processor until mixture forms ball that rides around the bowl above the blade, about 15 seconds. Continue processing 15 seconds longer.

2. 2.

Transfer dough ball to lightly floured surface and knead once or twice by hand until smooth ball is formed. It should pass the windowpane test. Divide dough into three even parts and place each in a covered quart-sized deli container or in a zipper-lock freezer bag. Place in refrigerator and allow to rise at least 1 day, and up to 5. Remove from refrigerator, shape into balls, and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours before baking.

Edited by cam4mav

On 4/6/2020 at 2:40 PM, wild_turkey said:

Made another pizza this weekend and used 00 flour this time. I’m convinced that’s the way to go, not sure why it took me so long to realize that.

It’s hard to tell from the photo but the toppings are sautéed garlic, pancetta, prosciutto, Roma tomato slices, and chopped basil.

fae0754a82067d891f88322e27c1556b.jpg

I'd eat the everlivin' muther fuck outta that!

4 hours ago, cam4mav said:

take out of the pan and onto either another pre heated upside down cast iron for pizza stone effects 

Easier way, just leave it in the original pan but move the pan to the stove for a few min. Trick from the Serious Eats pan pizza recipe.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Easier way, just leave it in the original pan but move the pan to the stove for a few min. Trick from the Serious Eats pan pizza recipe.

I actually tried that previously and burnt the everlivin' muther fuck outta it.

Prob fine if I don't walk away from it next time like I miiiiight have before.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a convert to the pizza on the grill.

Even with with very thin crust neapolitan pizza, my oven and stone (mostly worthless) combo couldn't generate and store enough heat for charring the crust.  Pizza tastes great - just missing that nice look and crunch. 

So now I heat the stone on the grill, start the pizza on there for a few minutes until the crust builds structure, then remove the stone and slide the pizza directly on the grill.  NIce marks and firm almost like a flatbread

Fired up pizzas on the BGE last night. First try making dough from scratch. Temps got REALLY hot for the last two (700 degrees). I made the mistake of stepping away from the last one for 2-3 minutes. When I came back it looked like an asteroid.

The dough turned out well. I used Roberta’s recipe.

I'm a convert to the pizza on the grill.

Even with with very thin crust neapolitan pizza, my oven and stone (mostly worthless) combo couldn't generate and store enough heat for charring the crust.  Pizza tastes great - just missing that nice look and crunch. 

So now I heat the stone on the grill, start the pizza on there for a few minutes until the crust builds structure, then remove the stone and slide the pizza directly on the grill.  NIce marks and firm almost like a flatbread

What temp were you setting your oven at and how long were you preheating your stone?

Just now, luke duke said:

What temp were you setting your oven at and how long were you preheating your stone?

maxed out oven beyond indicated 480F

stone is a thin clay type (?).  heated it for atleast 30min, and infrared gun measured surface of stone at 550F...  i just dont think it has enough thermal mass, and would much rather have a pizza steel if they were easier to find

for the grill im using Weber Q electric, which gets hotter than the oven and the smaller volume better gets up to temp

38 minutes ago, luke duke said:

I’ve had this one since 2012 and I’ve been very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E19MW/

That's a nice thick boi.  Looks twice as tall as mine.  But against the idea of having to run the oven an hour to warm that thing up, I'm planning to get an Ooni or similar when I get back to my house

Sunday Brunch breakfast pizzas.  I shit you not, no exaggeration, this was legit top 5 things I've ever cooked in my life.  The whole thing was mostly a stab in the dark on my part.  I guess the result was just kind of a planets aligned thing, but holy crap they were great.  Highly recommend giving it a shot sometime.

Pizza Dough (and mimosas):  I just used a pre-made Whole Foods dough, which is what I normally use.  I love making pizzas, but I do not enjoy the dough from scratch part, especially given that my dough doesn't turn out any better than some pre-made ones I've found...

lE2jka.jpg

Pizza #1 - Bagels and Lox interpretation:  Cooked the dough for a few minutes with a light brushing of olive oil and a dash of salt.  I wanted to be sure the dough would cook through, and since most of the ingredients either didn't require cooking or would be pre-cooked, I didn't plan on this staying in the oven for the normal time of a pizza.  Started with a generous schmeer of mascarpone.  Could have probably used cream cheese here too, but the mascarpone was great...

sCOETU.jpg

Added the capers and scrambled eggs, which were pretty normal other than I purposely undercooked them just a little because I knew they would cook more in the oven.  Back in the oven to finish...

exSFa0.jpg

Pulled from oven when the crust looked done then added the lox, very light sprinkling of diced scallions, and some roe.  Finished product...

EU5SLK.jpg

Pizza #2 - Bacon, Sausage, Egg and Cheese:  Again, precooked the crust just slightly after EVOO and salt.  Pulled it and added the cheese plus eggs, bacon and breakfast sausage, then sprinkled on some more cheese...

CyY4I9.jpg

Finished product...

QEXcEY.jpg

Plated and served...

PCFprl.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Wife wanted to try something a little different last night.  I was hoping she meant anal, but she meant pizza flavor.

Chicken Pesto - It was really good, but I'm more of a traditionalist...

KFZTgc.jpg

Pepperoni - Just to satisfy my more traditionalist taste...

PzRMQe.jpg

• Like 4

Last night I got drunk after a lovely day with the family at the zoo and playing some 2k with the boy. I got hungry about midnight and had a dough in the fridge from my serious eats detroit style recipe. I put it in the cast iron skillet for a couple of hours and then topped the dough with sauce, fresh grated parm and some oregano. Heavily cheesed it with whole milk fresh mozz and then used a cut proof glove and a mandolin to slice some DeLallo pepperoni. No idea why I thought this was a good idea but it worked and I didn't sever anything. Oven at 540 and out came the pizza after 13 min or so. It was fantastic. It doesn't look like much and it might have been the booze but damn it was good. 

50034727516_ce6faa772c_b.jpg

• Like 2

I asked for a BJ from my wife for Father's Day.  She got me an Ooni Pro instead.  Looks l like I will get to join this thread soon enough

Does anyone have a sourdough starter they'll let me cheat off of?

Edited by Spur08

I asked for a BJ from my wife for Father's Day.  She got me an Ooni Pro instead.  Looks l like I will get to join this thread soon enough

Does anyone have a sourdough starter they'll let me cheat off of?

Sure. I’m in Dallas though.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:32 PM, Spur08 said:

Sweet. I'm in Prosper. What part of Dallas? I might make a trip to Jimmy's in the near future to get some goods

Lakewood.  PM me if you're serious and I'm happy to share.  Prosper is a long way.

7 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Daughter (no pics, at least now, there were some on TOS) got me a gift card for father's day.

Good girl.  You musta raised her right.  Hope you’ll be able to use it sometime soon.  I mean, I guess you can use it now, if you just want to order some groceries.

Is the meat counter closed?

It’s been a few weeks since I have been but the meat counter was open. They just weren’t doing made to order sandwiches. I think you can call ahead for sandwich pickup.

That said the entire market is kinda scary in COVID times. Very much like a N.Y. bodega. Cramped aisles and people are not necessarily good about distancing. I got creeped out the last time i was there. Definitely not wanting to hang around any longer than necessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

It’s been a few weeks since I have been but the meat counter was open. They just weren’t doing made to order sandwiches. I think you can call ahead for sandwich pickup.

That said the entire market is kinda scary in COVID times. Very much like a N.Y. bodega. Cramped aisles and people are not necessarily good about distancing. I got creeped out the last time i was there. Definitely not wanting to hang around any longer than necessary.

Yep this for sure ^

And last I checked, there were no sandwiches at all.

Most of the fun for me was just the wandering around looking at all the authentic Italian shit, sometimes talking with other people doing the same, taking my time, maybe have a glass or two of wine while I shopped, make a whole thing of the experience.  No way in hell I’m doing that now, so what’s the point really?  Aside from the sandwiches and maybe one or two other things, I see no real reason to go in without the full experience.  Sucks

I've mentioned this before, and it gets shrugged off but I think it's a big deal. Does anyone else get turned off by the smoke taste when they cook on their ceramic? Is it noticeable? To me this is not a taste I want in a pizza. I've definitely enjoyed pizzas from wood and charcoal ovens at restaurants, but in my round Primo (basically identical to a large BGE), it's too much. This is not what I want in a pizza. I prefer the oven. I do know how to make a clean fire, no wood, lump charcoal only. Any thoughts, tips or tricks...do others experience this? 

I've mentioned this before, and it gets shrugged off but I think it's a big deal. Does anyone else get turned off by the smoke taste when they cook on their ceramic? Is it noticeable? To me this is not a taste I want in a pizza. I've definitely enjoyed pizzas from wood and charcoal ovens at restaurants, but in my round Primo (basically identical to a large BGE), it's too much. This is not what I want in a pizza. I prefer the oven. I do know how to make a clean fire, no wood, lump charcoal only. Any thoughts, tips or tricks...do others experience this? 

No.

Maybe you have too much residue in your cooker?

I’ve never had that issue with pizzas.

What lump are you using? They do vary in their smoke flavor. How much lump are you using?

You say you know how to make a clean fire, but do a test - next time let it burn 15min more than you think it needs before you cook your pizza, see if you have the same taste.

7 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

In addition to the above suggestions, I'm guessing it has something to do with the amount of time you're having to cook it.  According to my "spent way too much fucking time on this" research, grills are actually one of the worst ways to cook a pizza.

A good pizza is cooked with pretty even heat from the bottom (the stone) and the top (the lick).  That's why real pizza ovens have a dome shape to them, to create that lick of heat on the top, which many people think an egg would create.  However, they're not taking into account the fact that, no matter how hot you get your egg, the second you open the lid to put down your pizza and every time you open it after that to check it (which you have to do with a pizza...this ain't BBQ), you lose that lick.  So, your pizza has to sit through a reheat on top while it continues to cook from the bottom.

An ideal wood fire pizza is cooked at about 700 degrees and takes 3-5 minutes.  But, it also needs to have that temp hold there, especially over the top (because the sone will hold it on the bottom).  With an egg, or any other regular grill, you can't do that because of having to open the lid.  That's why there are some different mod kits (mentioned in this thread).  They allow you to keep the lid closed and check from the open side so the heat on the top and bottom hold...like a real pizza oven.

So, in short, you may prefer the taste of your regular oven pizza simply because it's actually a much better way to cook a pizza than on a grill.  It can hold the heat, both bottom and top, much better than an egg, even if you can get the egg hotter.  That said, a pizza cooked right using a real fire would be superior to a regular oven pizza.  But the only way to achieve that is with...A) a real pizza oven or B) a mod kit for your grill.

There are a ton of real pizza ovens out there and I'm still researching them, but that might be my next investment.  Otherwise, here are a couple mod kits I've seen that get pretty good reviews.

This site has one for eggs.  I think someone on this thread might have one, so I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on it...

https://www.pizza-porta.com/

This site does one for kettles and regular grills...

https://www.kettlepizza.com/

I've also seen people make their own out of sheet metal and shit like that if you're into that sort of thing.

All that being said, I think you have to be really into making pizzas to invest in any of this shit.  These mod kits are upwards of $500 and a real pizza oven is all that and then some.  I might do it because I'm really into it and find myself doing pizza about once a week these days.  But otherwise, you can make some really great pizza in your regular oven.

tl;dr - Despite what egg fanbois who think eggs can do everything the best try to tell you, they are not a good way to cook a pizza.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Definitely not too smokey. Maybe a touch more than a real wood fired pizza but not smoked smokey. I wouldn't want that. I get mine up to about 500 at the grate put the stone in and let it heat up for about half an hour then go. Works for me. 

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

In addition to the above suggestions, I'm guessing it has something to do with the amount of time you're having to cook it.  According to my "spent way too much fucking time on this" research, grills are actually one of the worst ways to cook a pizza.

A good pizza is cooked with pretty even heat from the bottom (the stone) and the top (the lick).  That's why real pizza ovens have a dome shape to them, to create that lick of heat on the top, which many people think an egg would create.  However, they're not taking into account the fact that, no matter how hot you get your egg, the second you open the lid to put down your pizza and every time you open it after that to check it (which you have to do with a pizza...this ain't BBQ), you lose that lick.  So, your pizza has to sit through a reheat on top while it continues to cook from the bottom.

An ideal wood fire pizza is cooked at about 700 degrees and takes 3-5 minutes.  But, it also needs to have that temp hold there, especially over the top (because the sone will hold it on the bottom).  With an egg, or any other regular grill, you can't do that because of having to open the lid.  That's why there are some different mod kits (mentioned in this thread).  They allow you to keep the lid closed and check from the open side so the heat on the top and bottom hold...like a real pizza oven.

So, in short, you may prefer the taste of your regular oven pizza simply because it's actually a much better way to cook a pizza than on a grill.  It can hold the heat, both bottom and top, much better than an egg, even if you can get the egg hotter.  That said, a pizza cooked right using a real fire would be superior to a regular oven pizza.  But the only way to achieve that is with...A) a real pizza oven or B) a mod kit for your grill.

There are a ton of real pizza ovens out there and I'm still researching them, but that might be my next investment.  Otherwise, here are a couple mod kits I've seen that get pretty good reviews.

This site has one for eggs.  I think someone on this thread might have one, so I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on it...

https://www.pizza-porta.com/

This site does one for kettles and regular grills...

https://www.kettlepizza.com/

I've also seen people make their own out of sheet metal and shit like that if you're into that sort of thing.

All that being said, I think you have to be really into making pizzas to invest in any of this shit.  These mod kits are upwards of $500 and a real pizza oven is all that and then some.  I might do it because I'm really into it and find myself doing pizza about once a week these days.  But otherwise, you can make some really great pizza in your regular oven.

tl;dr - Despite what egg fanbois who think eggs can do everything the best try to tell you, they are not a good way to cook a pizza.

Definitely not a fan boy.... don't even have an egg. I prefer the pizza from my cooker to the oven.  Is it the best way to cook?  No. But it's the best I have. 

I only do pizza 2 or 3 times a year so the mods or a dedicated oven aren't worth it to me. Maybe it would be like an if you build it they will come thing, but I doubt it. 

11 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

What lump are you using? They do vary in their smoke flavor. How much lump are you using?

You say you know how to make a clean fire, but do a test - next time let it burn 15min more than you think it needs before you cook your pizza, see if you have the same taste.

I use kingston briquettes with lighter fluid. 

Ok no I don't. Various kinds. Most commonly Royal Oak lump. 

I think there may be something to having it in there too long. Great post above, Lando. That's exactly what I do in my oven to get the heat regulated. Heat up the steel/stone for an hour give or take, and then use the broiler on top. I may try again soon with letting the fire go longer and making everything hotter. 

8 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Ok no I don't. Various kinds. Most commonly Royal Oak lump. 

I think there may be something to having it in there too long. Great post above, Lando. That's exactly what I do in my oven to get the heat regulated. Heat up the steel/stone for an hour give or take, and then use the broiler on top. I may try again soon with letting the fire go longer and making everything hotter. 

Royal Oak is real oak wood and imparts an oaky flavor. Great for steaks, probably not so great for pizza. Cowboy brand lump charcoal is low quality but it also has no flavor. I'm sure there are better options but I'd try changing your charcoal and see if that fixes the problem. 

• Like 1