Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

7 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Ok. I can always mail some to you. Shouldn’t take more than a day to get to you and if I chill it first it should be fine.

I'll hold off for now.  I'm headed to the lake house early next week and would rather not worry about missing it in the mail.  I'll re-engage in a few weeks

• Like 1

Wouldn’t the same be true in an oven with regards to losing heat because you have to open it to move it around or are you heating up a stone then using the broiler and cooking it in one go without any movement or door opening?

14 hours ago, dad said:

Wouldn’t the same be true in an oven with regards to losing heat because you have to open it to move it around or are you heating up a stone then using the broiler and cooking it in one go without any movement or door opening?

No, because the heat from an oven comes from the top.  So, you've got your stone cooking the bottom which loses essentially no heat when the door is opened.  Then you've got your oven cranking out heat from the top which continues when the door is opened.  The oven only loses ambient heat when the door opens and pizzas don't need much ambient heat for cooking, just the top and bottom.  Most pizza ovens don't even have a door on them...the heat comes from the top and bottom.  On a grill, you lose the top heat every time you open it look.

In addition to that, as you mentioned, you don't really need to open the oven while cooking a pizza (assuming your oven has a window and a light).  I think I average opening mine once during about a 10 minute cook, and that's to give it a turn to ensure its all cooking evenly.  Otherwise I just watch it through the window.  And I don't use the broiler.  I tried that once and it cooked the top way too fast, leaving the dough uncooked.  But I'm sure every oven is different.  And I put my top rack as close to the top as it will go.

I think pizza is kind of the opposite of BBQ...very hot and very fast and you have to look a lot to know when to turn it and pull it.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 1

I did it.  I finally did it.  I finally made the perfect pizza.  Best pizza I've ever eaten and it's not even close.  Magical...
Dough, brushed lightly with EVOO.  Slight sprinkling of coarse sea salt.  Light spread of homemade sauce which was 1 can peeled san marzano tomatoes, handful of basil, small handful of garlic cloves (4-5ish), salted to taste.  Then light sprinkling of shredded mozzarella , some pepperoni, some chunks of fresh mozzarella, a few leaves of fresh basil, and a light sprinkling of fresh grated parmesano reggiano...
bjcL0J.jpg
Finish with a little kosher salt...
IFHPOY.jpg
Amazing flavor.  Plated with a little fresh ground red pepper flake and some freshly grated parm...
PVqQOG.jpg

Stopped by Jimmy’s yesterday to pick up provisions for the weekend. Will be making sourdough dough pizzas for daughter’s birthday Sunday on the BGE. Grabbed a few balls of frozen dough just in case things go sideways.

Going in there during COVID times freaks the fuck out of me. Very uncomfortable having to continually step away from people who are oblivious to distancing.

Anyway in addition to the 00 flour and backup dough I grabbed some sliced hot soppressata and pepperoni, fresh mozzarella, and Mutti sauce.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Stopped by Jimmy’s yesterday to pick up provisions for the weekend. Will be making sourdough dough pizzas for daughter’s birthday Sunday on the BGE. Grabbed a few balls of frozen dough just in case things go sideways.

Going in there during COVID times freaks the fuck out of me. Very uncomfortable having to continually step away from people who are oblivious to distancing.

Anyway in addition to the 00 flour and backup dough I grabbed some sliced hot soppressata and pepperoni, fresh mozzarella, and Mutti sauce.

Yeah, I can't bring myself to do Jimmy's yet.  You can get most all of the great ingredients Jimmy's has at Central Market and/or Whole Foods and we get that delivered weekly.

That said, Jimmy's dough is great.  Be sure to remember to move it from the freezer to the refrigerator and to set it out on Sunday.  Otherwise your plan B will be as fucked as your plan A.  I'm sure your plan A will work out though...I have faith in you.  Looking forward to seeing pics.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:51 AM, Landomatic said:

I did it.  I finally did it.  I finally made the perfect pizza.  Best pizza I've ever eaten and it's not even close.  Magical...

IFHPOY.jpg

Oh my god. It's like i've watched my own son grow up. I've watched your first pizza attempts on here when you were but a wee little lad. They weren't great but I was proud of you for trying. Now you're stunting on hoes. How does one replicate this dough and baking method? I need this in and around my mouth.

Edited by dad

Just now, Spur08 said:

How was Jimmy's?  Well stocked?  I'm thinking in a month or so I'll make it down there.

As always, yes. 

just be aware it’s like a NYC bodega. Very tight aisles and people often on top of each other. Very difficult to social distance even when people are trying to be considerate. 

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

As always, yes. 

just be aware it’s like a NYC bodega. Very tight aisles and people often on top of each other. Very difficult to social distance even when people are trying to be considerate. 

I used to make regular trips there when I lived in Uptown back in the day.  

My list includes the spicy sausage, any other meats I can find, the biggest can of San Marzanos I can find, back up dough balls, olive oil(s), and a variety of their frozen pastas (mainly lobster ravioli if they have it).

I used to make regular trips there when I lived in Uptown back in the day.  
My list includes the spicy sausage, any other meats I can find, the biggest can of San Marzanos I can find, back up dough balls, olive oil(s), and a variety of their frozen pastas (mainly lobster ravioli if they have it).

The soppressata was excellent.

I like the Mutti pizza sauce, which is what I used Sunday. Managed to make good dough on my own so so still have 4 frozen balls.

The frozen ravioli are great.

Have a family up from Texas this week, and the husband and I both like to cook. I made some crust dough on Thursday, and last night he made a tomato sauce, I made an Alfredo, he made Italian sausage, we thin sliced some wagyu that he made on Wednesday, I picked some basil and spinach from the garden, chopped some red onion and tomato, one pack of store bought pepperoni, had one of the ladies grate bowls of mozzarella and cheddar, and we went nuts and made 10 pizzas of all sort. 

this is what remains. 

B758AB9F-D458-4AFF-8495-D1098571905B.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’d eat that. Looks good.  What kind of meat, prosciutto?

First one was sopressa and the second prosciutto. I really suck at making circles with dough (as pictured) but the flavor was pretty good. Used Lando's sauce recipe from above. Simple and delicious. It was a fun pizza night. Played nintendo 64 with the gf and destroyed pizza just like old times

Edited by Zepol87
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

First one was sopressa and the second prosciutto. I really suck at making circles with dough (as pictured) but the flavor was pretty good. Used Lando's sauce recipe from above. Simple and delicious. It was a fun pizza night. Played nintendo 64 with the gf and destroyed pizza just like old times

I worked at a restaurant in college that served up some big ass pizzas so I learned how to do it with ease, but it's really not very hard. I found this video that's exactly how I learned to do it. Once you get really good you'd be amazed at how much people are impressed by it lmao. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

First one was kind of the shape of Australia so thought that’s what you were going for,  second one not sure.  Mouth and stomach don’t care about the shape however. 

3 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

If you're drunk or high enough they all look round.

Pics of gf?

Edited by DDD Dad

On 7/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, Landomatic said:

Dough, brushed lightly with EVOO.  Slight sprinkling of coarse sea salt.  Light spread of homemade sauce which was 1 can peeled san marzano tomatoes, handful of basil, small handful of garlic cloves (4-5ish), salted to taste.  Then light sprinkling of shredded mozzarella , some pepperoni, some chunks of fresh mozzarella, a few leaves of fresh basil, and a light sprinkling of fresh grated parmesano reggiano...

bjcL0J.jpg

Finish with a little kosher salt...

IFHPOY.jpg

Amazing flavor.  Plated with a little fresh ground red pepper flake and some freshly grated parm...

PVqQOG.jpg

That is a solid effort.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:47 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Have a family up from Texas this week, and the husband and I both like to cook. I made some crust dough on Thursday, and last night he made a tomato sauce, I made an Alfredo, he made Italian sausage, we thin sliced some wagyu that he made on Wednesday, I picked some basil and spinach from the garden, chopped some red onion and tomato, one pack of store bought pepperoni, had one of the ladies grate bowls of mozzarella and cheddar, and we went nuts and made 10 pizzas of all sort. 

this is what remains. 

B758AB9F-D458-4AFF-8495-D1098571905B.jpeg

Here’s a money shot of some of the wagyu

(Also posting on streak thread because why not)

839F6CB5-8696-4A11-9832-F009F01B4FE5.jpeg

I’ve come far in converging on the optimal solution on sauce, cheese mixture, dough prep quantities, olive oil timing and bake method. This shit is fun. Can’t wait to host people and blow them away. Adding grilled chicken pieces has taken it next level. Waiting on arrival of 00 flour today to see what difference that makes.

1a1c2d8d2df9a0e088b65699f499762b.jpg

37f1168f254d83a8685eb9218197fe47.jpg

28189806f742080bdb1cf79e92cda016.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dad said:

I’ve come far in converging on the optimal solution on sauce, cheese mixture, dough prep quantities, olive oil timing and bake method. This shit is fun. Can’t wait to host people and blow them away. Adding grilled chicken pieces has taken it next level. Waiting on arrival of 00 flour today to see what difference that makes.

Spoiler

1a1c2d8d2df9a0e088b65699f499762b.jpg

37f1168f254d83a8685eb9218197fe47.jpg

28189806f742080bdb1cf79e92cda016.jpg

Hd Waiting GIF by moodman

NSIAP but highly recommend all home pizza makers get the Pizza Camp cookbook. Dude simplifies everything and has some great pizzas. I use the egg for my pizzas but he explains how to cook in a normal oven for the nice char. 549947e4aca56f2e6878534e744bf0ca.jpg

Made his mushroom pizza and added some morels that I found at a farmers market. Baked at around 750 degrees for 6 minutes on the egg.

fa080af29c9a2dd5df4e7f7d15ba66b1.jpg
34a2adbe298e09c3fdb6810098921741.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

Hd Waiting GIF by moodman

For the most part I followed this dude's dough recipe. I used Rao's home made marina sauce. I found today that breaking up the fresh mozzeralla into smaller pieces helped with the final product being more elasticy cheese whereas before I was using larger chunks which while melted, were still just a melted solid chunk so your bite can feel that slight difference. The tip the chef made about pre-cooking the crust with the sauce before hand has made a big difference in the final cheese product not being over-cooked and having released too much of its oils. I found that adding too much olive oil before baking all around the crust made it harder and less likely to puff up into larger lighter bubbles. Fresh Parmesan cheese on the sauce adds a nice saltiness. Not to say I'm an expert or anything but the results have been really impressive for just a few iterations. I'm cooking on a Black and decker pizza oven but I'd like to try a pizza stone in the oven, it's just so much more work than using the smaller oven.  

29 minutes ago, NoName said:

any recs on buying pepperoni? i want some #pepcups so prefer the smaller ones that crisp up really well...

due to the rona and where i live probably buying online if that matters.

I've used the Hormel cup and crisp pepperonis from Kroger and they've been solid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dad said:

Waiting on arrival of 00 flour today to see what difference that makes.

45 minutes ago, dad said:

I used Rao's home made marina sauce.

I think a homemade sauce will move the needle muuuuuch more than 00 flour.

That’s certainly not to say that I don’t use jar sauce sometime (Rao’s is also my go-to).  I also don’t make my own dough anymore because I don’t enjoy that part and my dough wasn’t thaaaaat much better than the store stuff.

So, in other words, what the hell do I know?

it is fun as fuck though.  My favorite thing to cook.  Glad you’re enjoying it.

Edited by Landomatic