Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

Okay, redemption on the pepperoni comparison wars battle royal test thingy.

Here are the four I ended up going with.  Kind of a long story on how I landed there, but all are pretty readily available from either Whole Foods or Central Market from what I can tell.

A)  Fiorucci (sliced by the deli)
https://www.fioruccifoods.com/products/pepperoni/

B)  Molinari and Sons (came in a stick, sliced by me)
http://www.molinarisalame.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=17

C)  Vermont Smoke & Cure (came in a stick, sliced by me)
https://store.vermontsmokeandcure.com/collections/summer-sausage-smoked-pepperoni/products/uncured-smoked-pepperoni

D)  Dietz & Watson (came pre-sliced in a package)
https://www.dietzandwatson.com/product/Sliced-Pepperoni-2

NkGnHB.jpg

jK8KNq.jpg

Pizza #1 - Left side: Fiorucci, Right side: Molinari and Sons

t7z2m4.jpg

Pizza #2 - Left side: Vermont Smoke & Cure, Right side: Dietz & Watson (toothpicks were just there to indicate the center since they looked so similar)

ZesT7Q.jpg

Pizza #1 out of the oven...

q1kKGp.jpg

Pizza # 1 cut...

zTq44A.jpg

Pizza #2 out of the oven...

HWCmc6.jpg

Pizza #2 cut...

KbiWzv.jpg

Results:

1. Molinari and Sons
  2. Fiorucci
  3. Dietz & Watson
  4. Vermont Smoke & Cure

Number 1 and 2 were very close and honestly, could have probably been a tie.  Both cupped up nicely and had great (and similar) flavor.  I think I just prefer the smaller cut over the larger one.

Number 3 wasn't too far off.  Didn't cup much and flavor wasn't quite as rich, but for pre-packaged, pre-sliced, it was certainly a very worthy opponent. 

Distant 4th place shouldn't really have even been in the same contest.  There was a little bit of cupping (not as much as 1 and 2) but the flavor was way off.  Tasted more like an over processed beef stick than real pepperoni.  Do not recommend.

Conclusion, I don't think I've ever really met a pizza (especially pepperoni) that I haven't liked. The worst I've ever had was still pretty damn good.

That and, I'll put my homemade pizza up against any pizza in town.  In fact, I may never order another delivery pizza again.  We got Zalat (widely considered the best in DFW) delivered the other night and their pizza can't carry my pizza's jockstrap.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I don’t know if it’s because I’m on limited calories and anything tastes good but this Costco crust absolutely blew me away. WTF. If this is semi healthy eating ice found my cheat meal. It was so crunchy unlike my attempt at cauliflower pizza crust that ended up like mashed potatoes. And it had a solid flavor. Would recommend for anyone trying to limit calories and carbs.

016a4acf0975d7b02340fc0306fcf11e.jpg

612b44834cd0bda27035157e2b3ef846.jpg

ed9d25c5e0353654127c29ba6b493ad9.jpg

Only 500 calories for half of a medium sized pizza loaded with chicken and pepperoni ain’t fucking bad for a great cheat meal.

ce4422a84618d709fa14ae5af757e74a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

A local guy told me he used one of these Baker Stone ceramic pizza ovens so I looked around and low and behold thanks to google and facebook’s amazing stalker algorithms a random look at all Facebook marketplace items a few days ago yielded this fucking beauty new in a box unopened for $75. I was moments away a few days prior to buying a brand new one for $145 shipped. It seems super promising. It advertises that it can reach much much higher temps than my 600 deg F max electric pizza oven. The concept of routing all of the heat from a gas grill thru the bottom and around the sides of all of the enclosed ceramic plates means it should blast the pizzas with tons of convective, radiant and forced conduction heat with the super close gas flame burning the dough like the Ooni’s of the world. I imagine it could be rigged with its own gas tube mechanism or whatever it’s called under it with a huge flame producing way more BTUs if one were so inclined to reach the 900 deg F of the world but I’m gonna guess that I’ll be able to hit a sweet 750 which should make perfect pizzas for my kind of style of desires crust. I don’t know how this thing isn’t super popular. I am patiently waiting the delivery of 12 bags of 00 flour to make what should start being next level pizzas as far the quality I’ve been able to produce. I haz excite. Borat like.

c1d53f2d5a5e4a1806f5ef0627c19122.jpg

17e7ed2b6a582aba8dfc071308f8e489.jpg

b00ce87b6738c798c58bf5bd3335493e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A local guy told me he used one of these Baker Stone ceramic pizza ovens so I looked around and low and behold thanks to google and facebook’s amazing stalker algorithms a random look at all Facebook marketplace items a few days ago yielded this fucking beauty new in a box unopened for $75. I was moments away a few days prior to buying a brand new one for $145 shipped. It seems super promising. It advertises that it can reach much much higher temps than my 600 deg F max electric pizza oven. The concept of routing all of the heat from a gas grill thru the bottom and around the sides of all of the enclosed ceramic plates means it should blast the pizzas with tons of convective, radiant and forced conduction heat with the super close gas flame burning the dough like the Ooni’s of the world. I imagine it could be rigged with its own gas tube mechanism or whatever it’s called under it with a huge flame producing way more BTUs if one were so inclined to reach the 900 deg F of the world but I’m gonna guess that I’ll be able to hit a sweet 750 which should make perfect pizzas for my kind of style of desires crust. I don’t know how this thing isn’t super popular. I am patiently waiting the delivery of 12 bags of 00 flour to make what should start being next level pizzas as far the quality I’ve been able to produce. I haz excite. Borat like.

c1d53f2d5a5e4a1806f5ef0627c19122.jpg

17e7ed2b6a582aba8dfc071308f8e489.jpg

b00ce87b6738c798c58bf5bd3335493e.jpg

Username checks out
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got my confirmation on delivery of my koda 16 for next tuesday.

Thinking the pizza schedule looks like:

Wed: Neapolitian pizzas, Margherita, Marinara with anchovies and garlic, Pepperoni, cheese, cacio e pepe.

Thursday: Detroit style pepperoni and cheese

Friday: NY style cheese and pepperoni

Saturday: White pizzas TBD

Sunday: Flammenkuchen

About to go balls deep in some carbohydrates. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Just got my confirmation on delivery of my koda 16 for next tuesday.

Thinking the pizza schedule looks like:

Wed: Neapolitian pizzas, Margherita, Marinara with anchovies and garlic, Pepperoni, cheese, cacio e pepe.

Thursday: Detroit style pepperoni and cheese

Friday: NY style cheese and pepperoni

Saturday: White pizzas TBD

Sunday: Flammenkuchen

About to go balls deep in some carbohydrates. 

Can I come over?  Sounds like an awesome week.  I’ll wear a mask 🙏

And what is this cacio e pepe pizza you speak of???  Or are you just saying it will have cheese and pepper?  Sorry if I’m not following your comma usage.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Can I come over?  Sounds like an awesome week.  I’ll wear a mask 🙏

And what is this cacio e pepe pizza you speak of???  Or are you just saying it will have cheese and pepper?  Sorry if I’m not following your comma usage.

Just bring the boat man, and we'll figure the rest out from there.

The cacio e pepe is something I got out of the Mastering Pizza.  Recipe below should be large enough to read if you click through it. Book goes into a longer back story, but I thought it looked interesting as an experiment.  Might turn out to be a total disaster.

42-AF3-FAC-107-C-42-F9-B50-B-BAE7-CB5-B8

Similar recipe:

Another:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cacio-e-pepe-pizza

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Figured out Central Market had all the pizza supplies I needed so tried out a 50-50 mix of 00 and bread flour this time. I think the biggest differences that it impacted were it’s pliability and taste not necessarily so much the chew like I expected. It was less pliable than pure 00 so this mix could use a high hydration than 66%. Taste was closer to typical pizza crust tastes. Also tried a new pizza cutter and some random pepperoni I liked bc of the size. Also learned that with my baking method of pre cooking the crust and sauce I can place the cheese and pepperonis much earlier when using pepperonis because all of the water they release help the cheese not burn and also makes it take longer for them to crisp up.

b4b7a895bb880a93315712ad677b9e01.jpg

3c86c52768c3f749211971c06ed6b259.jpg

fa9b329b6fade007fcc470bb897d3cb3.jpg

482b2ca1bfb171d05c353063c9e9a372.jpg

a381e550f9e4780d60a6dcb7508507bc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Just bring the boat man, and we'll figure the rest out from there.

The cacio e pepe is something I got out of the Mastering Pizza.  Recipe below should be large enough to read if you click through it. Book goes into a longer back story, but I thought it looked interesting as an experiment.  Might turn out to be a total disaster.

42-AF3-FAC-107-C-42-F9-B50-B-BAE7-CB5-B8

Similar recipe:

Another:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cacio-e-pepe-pizza

Yeah, that looks..............weird.

Report back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, that looks..............weird.

Report back.

I mean, it's just grated cheese, cracked pepper and olive oil.  All texture and crust, with just a bit of topping flavor.  If you're a minimalist, might be right up the alley.  I'm big on the taste and texture of the crust, so looks good to me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I mean, it's just grated cheese, cracked pepper and olive oil.  All texture and crust, with just a bit of topping flavor.  If you're a minimalist, might be right up the alley.  I'm big on the taste and texture of the crust, so looks good to me.

Man idk man that’s pretty whacky crazy stuff 

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

41 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Man idk man that’s pretty whacky crazy stuff 

Perhaps it was the cooking a pizza covered in ice cubes part that threw me off

Can somebody point this beginner to a good dough recipe I can make in my bread machine (dough cycle) but that doesn't have to rise overnight?  No doubt I've asked this before.  I absolutely do not like to bake.  I do have some 00 as well as bread and all-purpose flours.

Almost everything I've tried seems to come out too dense, and it's always difficult to get thin enough without using a rolling pin, which is almost surely part of the problem.

On a side note, the frozen dough from "New French Bakery" at HEB does not suck at all.  Still, it's not perfect, and I'd rather pay 50 cents for dough than $2.50 or whatever, not to mention conquer one of the glaring shortcomings in "things I know how to do in the kitchen".

Can somebody point this beginner to a good dough recipe I can make in my bread machine (dough cycle) but that doesn't have to rise overnight?  No doubt I've asked this before.  I absolutely do not like to bake.  I do have some 00 as well as bread and all-purpose flours.

Almost everything I've tried seems to come out too dense, and it's always difficult to get thin enough without using a rolling pin, which is almost surely part of the problem.

On a side note, the frozen dough from "New French Bakery" at HEB does not suck at all.  Still, it's not perfect, and I'd rather pay 50 cents for dough than $2.50 or whatever, not to mention conquer one of the glaring shortcomings in "things I know how to do in the kitchen".

I think I posted a recipe up thread from a place in NY that is really good. Roberta’s.

ETA: Here it is again.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016230-robertas-pizza-dough

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

I think I posted a recipe up thread from a place in NY that is really good. Roberta’s.

LMAO -- I am literally making that pizza as I type.  Seemed reasonable, a 3-4 hour rise, so I started the dough cycle at about 1:45 PM.  It wasn't too hard to turn out, but I did cheat and use a rolling pin towards the end.  I just don't want to tear the dough.

LMAO -- I am literally making that pizza as I type.  Seemed reasonable, a 3-4 hour rise, so I started the dough cycle at about 1:45 PM.  It wasn't too hard to turn out, but I did cheat and use a rolling pin towards the end.  I just don't want to tear the dough.

You’re probably not proofing it long enough if you can’t get it thin without tearing.

• Like 1

Well, that turned out pretty well.  Certainly the best dough I've made.  Seemed a little sticky -- does that mean I should cut back a bit on the water?  After coming out of the bread machine dough cycle I covered it in a damp towel for 4 hours and then baked at 500 F on a screaming hot cast iron skillet.  Would overnight in the refrigerator change the texture, or just build more flavor?

It wasn't Holy Grail level of crust, a little dense, but I did use a rolling pin.  I think as I get better pushing it around it might be a little lighter.

My sauce needs work, I just used Muir Glen whole peeled tomatoes, olive oil, salt and oregano.  Needed a little sugar, and probably basil.  Onward.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Well, that turned out pretty well.  Certainly the best dough I've made.  Seemed a little sticky -- does that mean I should cut back a bit on the water?  After coming out of the bread machine dough cycle I covered it in a damp towel for 4 hours and then baked at 500 F on a screaming hot cast iron skillet.  Would overnight in the refrigerator change the texture, or just build more flavor?

It wasn't Holy Grail level of crust, a little dense, but I did use a rolling pin.  I think as I get better pushing it around it might be a little lighter.

My sauce needs work, I just used Muir Glen whole peeled tomatoes, olive oil, salt and oregano.  Needed a little sugar, and probably basil.  Onward.

Try not to let time be your guide for proofing so much as volume. Watch to see how much the dough rises. 4 hours could be plenty or not enough.

My dough usually at least doubles when using dry yeast.

If your dough is sticky when shaping crusts be sure to flour your table and keep some on hand to keep your hands from sticking as you stretch. Usually a light dusting is plenty.

Thee are lots of good videos on YouTube showing techniques for stretching crusts. You don’t need a rolling pin, and you won’t get the kind of crust you want rolling it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 11:18 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Dense crust most likely from the rolling pin.  Only time I’ve ever used a rolling pin was my first time doing a pizza and it was super dense.  Haven’t used one since and have had much better results.  Treat that dough like your bitch and don’t worry about tearing it.  If you tear it, just pinch it back together and keep going.  Just don’t overthink it and you’ll find it’s really quite forgiving.

I think you’re close on the sauce, but don’t overthink that either.  My go-to sauce is just a can of SM tomatoes, few cloves garlic, handful of basil leaves and salt to taste in a blender.  Super simple and rave reviews every time.

19 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

My go-to sauce is just a can of SM tomatoes, few cloves garlic, handful of basil leaves and salt to taste in a blender.  Super simple and rave reviews every time.

Say I used 28 oz tomatoes -- roughly how many cloves of garlic?  I'd probably end up freezing half that sauce, but it seems impossible to get good whole peeled tomatoes in any smaller size.  I was planning on freezing what I didn't use the other night, but it just really wasn't that interesting, so down the drain it went.

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Say I used 28 oz tomatoes -- roughly how many cloves of garlic?  I'd probably end up freezing half that sauce, but it seems impossible to get good whole peeled tomatoes in any smaller size.  I was planning on freezing what I didn't use the other night, but it just really wasn't that interesting, so down the drain it went.

Yeah, on a 28 oz can, which is all I ever use, I use 3-5 whole cloves garlic, depending on the size of the clove.

I've only ever used Cento or Alessi brand that I can recall.  And I think that's just because Central Market carries Alessi and Whole Foods and my local Italian grocer both carry Cento.  I keep about 6 cans on hand most of the time because that's what I use for all red sauce for pasta.  So, wherever I happen to be shopping if I need them, that's what I get.  Can't tell the difference between the two brands at all.  Honestly, from everything I've heard and from what I can tell, as long as they're San Marzano, that's all that matters.  San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes for just about everything.

And yeah, that 28 oz can makes way too much sauce for one or two pizzas.  But I've never tried to freeze it.  I just save whatever's left in a jar or some kind of container and refrigerate it until next time.  I pretty much make pizza at least once a week these days and one batch of sauce will last a few weeks until I need to make more.  And I can never tell the difference in taste from the first time I make it until the last time I use it.  So, if there's any kind of "freshness" factor, I can't detect it at all.  If anything, it may ferment and actually taste a little better as time goes on.  I just look at it like having a jar of my own homemade sauce on hand at all times.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

My wife just informed me we have a basil plant on the front porch.

For fuck's sake, thanks for the heads up.  Would have been nice to know a few days ago.

Brilliant.  At the rate I go through basil, I may need to look into this.  I use basil in damn near everything I cook.

My wife just informed me we have a basil plant on the front porch.
For fuck's sake, thanks for the heads up.  Would have been nice to know a few days ago.

I bought a couple basil plants at Home Depot back around May (trying to get off the grid I guess) for my wife to plant in a whiskey barrel. Those things are each two feet tall now, and we have more basil than we can possibly use.

I bought a couple basil plants at Home Depot back around May (trying to get off the grid I guess) for my wife to plant in a whiskey barrel. Those things are each two feet tall now, and we have more basil than we can possibly use.
Yeah, that was me l my experience the one time i bought basil. Grows like a fucking weed.

17 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
17 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Yeah, that was me l my experience the one time i bought basil. Grows like a fucking weed.

Really?  Texas climate?  Year round or is it seasonal?  How much watering?  Shade vs. sunlight?  I need to seriously check into this because I go through basil like water.  But I also have about as brown a thumb as you can get, so I've always worried about being able to keep it alive.  I have a planter on my front porch that currently has nothing in it (because there's no water to it and the bush that was in it died).  May be a good place for some...assuming I can remember to water it.

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Experimental pie. I’ve never tasted one before.  Might be a total flop. 

my oven is on the ups truck for delivery today you impatient bastards. 

So, what time you thinkin?  You know, just so I can try to plan the rest of my day.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, Landomatic said:

I've only ever used Cento or Alessi brand that I can recall.  And I think that's just because Central Market carries Alessi and Whole Foods and my local Italian grocer both carry Cento.  I keep about 6 cans on hand most of the time because that's what I use for all red sauce for pasta.  So, wherever I happen to be shopping if I need them, that's what I get.  Can't tell the difference between the two brands at all.  Honestly, from everything I've heard and from what I can tell, as long as they're San Marzano, that's all that matters.  San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes for just about everything.

Sure as I say that, I stumbled across these at Whole Foods.  Now, they don't say "San Marzano" anywhere on them, just "Southern Italy" so that gave me pause.  However, I love all the Rao's products that I've ever tried, so I thought I'd give them a shot.  I'll report back once I get around to using them.

818Xa8lC-rL._SX679_.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

However, I love all the Rao's products that I've ever tried, so I thought I'd give them a shot. 

Yeah, Rao's pasta sauces are legit.  $6-$8 a jar is a little . . . jarring . . . so I'll default back to Muir Glen most of the time, but Rao's is a step above.

I've done blind taste tests on whole peeled tomatoes and Muir Glen even beats legit San Marzano for most people.  They really know what they're doing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, Rao's pasta sauces are legit.  $6-$8 a jar is a little . . . jarring . . . so I'll default back to Muir Glen most of the time, but Rao's is a step above.
I've done blind taste tests on whole peeled tomatoes and Muir Glen even beats legit San Marzano for most people.  They really know what they're doing.
Costco sells Raos sauce. Something like $9 for 2 of them.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Really?  Texas climate?  Year round or is it seasonal?  How much watering?  Shade vs. sunlight?  I need to seriously check into this because I go through basil like water.  But I also have about as brown a thumb as you can get, so I've always worried about being able to keep it alive.  I have a planter on my front porch that currently has nothing in it (because there's no water to it and the bush that was in it died).  May be a good place for some...assuming I can remember to water it.

Water fairly regularly, but don't drown it. Medium sunlight (mine gets sun from mid-morning to about 3:00) It's not very cold tolerant. Mine usually wilts and dies at the first frost. I usually have enough by late September or so to make a kick ass batch of pesto before the end of the season. As someone else said, clip the flowers off and it will keep growing. 

Yeah, I like Rao's.

I make two batches of dough.  Donkey'd one of them by forgetting the salt.  Had it measured out, just forgot to add it before I spun up the mixer. I didn't realize until after I had made the dough balls, so I just tried to incorporate it.  Note to self: don't make dough during a conference call. More difficult than posting on teh internet. 

The other batch turned our pretty choice, so we'll see how this goes.  I am worried that they ones I had to work a bit are not going to stretch real nice.  

Fuck I am full.

Took a bit to dial in.  Probably just cause today was hot as fuck the oven heated up pretty high.  I got up to 900.4 deg @ the stone on one reading.  After a few pies I figured out to turn it all the way up between cooks to reheat the stone and then turn it down as low as it would go when the pie was in.  A few of the early ones got kinda crispy (first pie was no more than 45 seconds to cook), but by the end I had it pretty dialed in. I used the ooni recipe for the crust and was not very happy with it.  I fucked up the small dough balls, which isn't really the recipe's fault, and like I suspected they did not stretch real well.  But the other dough balls didn't either.  The dough I did last week or whenever @ 70% was much easier to stretch.  Think that I will try to split the difference next time at 65%. 

Oven set up:

75-EDA50-A-D7-A5-4-F8-E-A6-E4-9-FB229-D6

First pie out, simple cheese:

526264-FF-81-F1-4-A4-D-A9-D2-C87098-D0-D

Another one for the kids:

E9-B60-C02-C19-D-4747-B632-4-A8693-B2-FD

4-A6-EA445-52-DF-40-F6-AFAC-5-F9170-E479

Margherita:

05-BC3985-46-E9-49-FE-B124-7-FA84-B88-EB

2817343-F-0-CB3-4-D17-A5-AB-D4-E69-EF968

A combo:

E7-AE2859-26-CF-4-CCB-B2-E8-A59-B977-D44

Marinara with anchovies:

643539-D6-D5-E8-4503-B9-A4-BA9-EC262745-

Cacio e pepe:

2-EDFE5-B6-14-C0-4815-B987-68179-A2669-B

290-C73-B2-0266-4-DBB-988-A-609-B78595-B

The cacio e pepe was interesting.  Very very rich.  Would go a lot easier on the pecorino next time. All in all a successful first run.  Gonna probably do Detroit tomorrow.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Fuck I am full.

Took a bit to dial in.  Probably just cause today was hot as fuck the oven heated up pretty high.  I got up to 900.4 deg @ the stone on one reading.  After a few pies I figured out to turn it all the way up between cooks to reheat the stone and then turn it down as low as it would go when the pie was in.  A few of the early ones got kinda crispy (first pie was no more than 45 seconds to cook), but by the end I had it pretty dialed in. I used the ooni recipe for the crust and was not very happy with it.  I fucked up the small dough balls, which isn't really the recipe's fault, and like I suspected they did not stretch real well.  But the other dough balls didn't either.  The dough I did last week or whenever @ 70% was much easier to stretch.  Think that I will try to split the difference next time at 65%. 

Oven set up:

75-EDA50-A-D7-A5-4-F8-E-A6-E4-9-FB229-D6

First pie out, simple cheese:

526264-FF-81-F1-4-A4-D-A9-D2-C87098-D0-D

Another one for the kids:

E9-B60-C02-C19-D-4747-B632-4-A8693-B2-FD

4-A6-EA445-52-DF-40-F6-AFAC-5-F9170-E479

Margherita:

05-BC3985-46-E9-49-FE-B124-7-FA84-B88-EB

2817343-F-0-CB3-4-D17-A5-AB-D4-E69-EF968

A combo:

E7-AE2859-26-CF-4-CCB-B2-E8-A59-B977-D44

Marinara with anchovies:

643539-D6-D5-E8-4503-B9-A4-BA9-EC262745-

Cacio e pepe:

2-EDFE5-B6-14-C0-4815-B987-68179-A2669-B

290-C73-B2-0266-4-DBB-988-A-609-B78595-B

The cacio e pepe was interesting.  Very very rich.  Would go a lot easier on the pecorino next time. All in all a successful first run.  Gonna probably do Detroit tomorrow.  

Dude...your "fucked up" ones look better than most people's best ones.  New oven looks pretty pretty bad ass.  I am definitely putting a pizza oven in the new outdoor kitchen plans.  Awesome work!

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Dude...your "fucked up" ones look better than most people's best ones.  New oven looks pretty pretty bad ass.  I am definitely putting a pizza oven in the new outdoor kitchen plans.  Awesome work!

The ooni is legit.  I need a turning peel, cause you got to keep it moving or it burns up pretty easy. Lots of variables to tinker with, temp control, dough, and stretch.  I am pretty comfortable with my sauce.  The dough recipe I used last week was from mastering pizza, and it had a much longer ferment.  I think that I am going to go back to that recipe for time being.