Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

Was in a rush because it was 1 pm and we were all starving. I figured a pizza would
feed all four of us so I sectioned it off. To the left is Italian sausage no big deal. The main portion is obviously cheese and pepperoni.

The main point of the post was the top middle piece. I had been wanting to try this so this was the quick beta test. Leftover spaghetti sauce with meat balls from spaghetti from a local Italian joint. It was phenomenal. Would slam ultra hard with the whole pizza made from that which I will do in the future and post the results.

df0aa3615cee771f41fec32232a23f8d.jpg

Damn good pizza day with the old man and the kids and cousins.

Think I have basically nailed the flammenkuchen. Gonna @  @sidis on this one, cause I think he knows what I am talking about. Paired with a schlossberg alsace grand cru riesling. My dad grinched a slice before I could even pop off a photo on the first one. 

6-EA22234-780-D-4-A9-F-8449-09-AE52-A881

0376-B10-C-561-A-4-AFC-93-C8-D3573-A086-

Reheating a slice of buffalo chicken when we got home cause reasons.

4510-B218-F3-B9-4-EA5-B9-AD-3-E2-E3-DBB4

45-A95-B4-D-DD14-45-BA-AABD-9-F834727178

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Fixed four pizzas last night in our Ooni Koda.  Man, if there's one thing I'm learning is to do it right, you need to have lots of flour on hand.  I'm also learning that all that flour ends up everywhere... and don't wear a black t-shirt.

Hahaha my wife busted me scratching my balls last time I made pizza.  Had on black gym shorts and there was flour all over my crotch.

10 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I don’t know bro.  The black olive one looks raw on top.  And the pepperoni one looks burnt around the crust.  I think you can do better

I did get one portion of the crust a bit on the burnt end, but in comparison to some of the hockey puck slices I turned out in the beginning these were great.  And I don't mind a little bit of char because I am not a pussy. 

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I did get one portion of the crust a bit on the burnt end, but in comparison to some of the hockey puck slices I turned out in the beginning these were great.  And I don't mind a little bit of char because I am not a pussy. 

They look good man...I was just fuckin with ya.

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Still need a turning peel which would make moving the pies around the oven a lot easier. 

You’re running a pizza oven without a peel?  How are you getting them in and out?  Seems like that would make a huuuuge difference.  I have the Weber one and I love it.  It folds in half to easily wash in the dishwasher and store in a normal drawer

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I just got my koda 16 and I love it as well.

Have you settled on a dough?  For dough I'm replicating Varasano's instructions with an Italian yeast starter and it's coming out great.  If you haven't read his blog it is a great resource for homemade pizza, especially if you have a high temp oven like an Ooni.

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm#Tier 1

The turning peel is a great tool by the way. Highly recommend.

Edited by Dontshootrude
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, RMac5 said:

@Anastasis is your ooni gas fired or charcoal/wood?  I see one listed that is multi fuel, that might be a cool option too.

I thought about an Ooni pro but the reviews I read are that the pizza cooks so fast and the fires burn so clean and hot that you can't taste the difference between propane and wood. I couldn't justify the extra cost compared to the Koda 16.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

That obnoxious Maltese guy basically uses the recipe I used forever for pizza dough.  I personally like Trader Joe's if you let them sit in the fridge for 3-4 days.  But if I make it myself:

8c flour (unbleached if you can)

2 tsp salt

Then proof 2 packets or 5 tsp yeast in 20-24 (2 1/2 - 3 cups) water at 110F for 5 min.  I usually go with 6 tsp because I like how it affects the flavor and it's fun to see a beachball- sized ball of dough.

Mix everything and knead.  Let proof for 3 hours or so, punching down once.  Then use it.  I've not noticed proofing for 2 days or 3 makes much additional difference other than the dough gets sticky as hell.

This recipe takes about 10 minutes work and makes 4 pizzas that fit my Roccbox perfectly.  Half the recipe if you only need to make 2.

If you own a KitchenAid with a dough hook, be careful.  You can use it but it can "overknead" the dough.  It can also fry the mixer, as this dough starts out pretty dense.  I have the Pro one with the big motor and it really struggles.  So I mix the ingredients by hand, then put them in the KitchenAid for 2 minutes on 1, max.  Then I do a minute or two more hand kneading.

Anyone use their ovens with wood?  The Roccbox gets MUCH hotter using oak in the wood attachment, but it takes a lot longer to get to temp.  I think it's a bit harder to use overall with wood, and I really can't tell much difference in the end product other than the backyard smells great.  3-4 minutes isn't really time to imbue a lot of oak smoke flavor to the pizza.

Also, anyone tried these?  They used to be $10 - now they've had the "pandemic" markup like everything else related to baking.  Basically you grab the edge of the crust in two places and spin the pizza in the oven by pushing on one side and pulling on the other.  Reviews are pretty good

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPS-022-Alfrescamore-Pizza-Spinners/dp/B00N0L5Q6O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

61x0Bva4bYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Liquor and Poker

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

If you own a KitchenAid with a dough hook, be careful.  You can use it but it can "overknead" the dough.

Yeah, I think this was the problem I was having.  Just was not getting good dough out of the mixer.

I just buy the whole foods dough.  One container makes 2 14" pies. 

1 hour ago, Dontshootrude said:

It's been a while since I've posted here and I remember that for whatever reason imgur hates Texas football.

Reuploading the pics.

IMG_3215.jpg

20200919_185045.jpg

20200919_174512.jpg

You're gonna love that thing.

One tip if you want to do a longer bake.  After you get the stone nice and hot, you can press in the dial and turn it back towards the off position.  There is about a quarter turn there where you can get the fire very low for longer cooking without turning everythign into a hocky puck. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I really can't tell much difference in the end product other than the backyard smells great.  3-4 minutes isn't really time to imbue a lot of oak smoke flavor to the pizza.

Pizza Studio Tamaki throws in a handful of chips direct on the fire as a "finisher" when the pizza is nearly cooked; it gives a distinct smoke flavor. This is a Tokyo pizza place that received a Michelin Bib within a year of opening, and the best pizza I've had anywhere.

Absolutely great read on Tokyo/Japan's evolution of Neapolitan pizza-making, Tamaki and his techniques get a lot of coverage. Warning, longcat, but if you love pizza, you'll love this article:

https://www.eater.com/2017/2/21/14670944/best-pizza-tokyo-guide

On 10/3/2020 at 2:00 PM, luke duke said:

A turning peel =/= a regular peel.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:00 PM, Landomatic said:

Oh really?  What’s the difference?  I use one peel for inserting, turning, and removing

On 10/3/2020 at 4:22 PM, Anastasis said:

There are different peels for all three movements. 

Ya'll talking about this thing?  Looks like a gimmick to me, but what do I know?  Everyone I've ever seen make pizza uses a regular peel to to turn it.

18 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Also, anyone tried these?  They used to be $10 - now they've had the "pandemic" markup like everything else related to baking.  Basically you grab the edge of the crust in two places and spin the pizza in the oven by pushing on one side and pulling on the other.  Reviews are pretty good

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPS-022-Alfrescamore-Pizza-Spinners/dp/B00N0L5Q6O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

61x0Bva4bYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Well, these seem like they would just make too much common sense.  We can't have that, now can we?

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I just buy the whole foods dough.  One container makes 2 14" pies. 

Been using the Central Market dough (pictured below) the last few times.  One ball makes about one 16" - 18" pizza.  It's 14 oz and the Whole Foods one is 22 oz.  When it was really hot there for a while, I scaled back to just making one pizza each time to keep it cool.

Anyway, after a few tests, I think I like the Whole Foods one better.  The best Central Market one I had was the better of the two, but a couple of them have been worse and one even had to be thrown away because it didn't rise at all, so there's apparently some kind of consistency issue there.  Never had any consistency issues with the Whole Foods one.

large_46c3715c-c762-428e-b01c-15b058ae48