Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

Between cooking in my oven and cooking on my charcoal grill with a wood chunk in there, I definitely can taste the difference.  Don't know about Ooni, but burning charcoal and wood, even for just a few minutes, adds something.

I think the Ooni cooks in like a minute though.

I’m the market for one too and not sure which one to get.

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

You should go with something along these lines (looks like it's on sale right now)...

https://www.bbqguys.com/chicago-brick-oven/cbo-1000-built-in-wood-fired-commercial-outdoor-pizza-oven-kit-cbo-o-kit-1000

b5e478f74ed807abac2a6b3c1cd0b3f5.jpg

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

I think the Ooni cooks in like a minute though.

How are you going to enjoy standing outside, drinking beer if the pizza is done in 1 minute.  My Weber doohicky gets it done in about six minutes, turning it every two.  But there's still time to pause between turns to have a refreshment.

9 hours ago, pops said:

Been looking at that. Do you just open the vents all the way and let it get as hot as possible?   Use a stone or just put it straight on the kit?

Vents open all the way.  Charcoal around the outside perimeter of the kettle.  Use a lot of charcoal, but keep it around the outside.  I use a small chunk of pecan in there too.  Put the oven on and let it come up to temp.  This part takes a while.  If the little thermometer is above 600, I assume the stone is way hotter (yes, I use the stone that comes with it).  Best results have been leaving it on for six minutes with a quarter to a third of a turn every two minutes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so it's set. Wife is getting me an Ooni for my birthday in six weeks or so. I'm being tasked with letting her know what exactly to get. Wood-pellet, gas-powered or multi-fuel? Is the 12 enough or is there a compelling reason to go with the 16? Not sure I want to tell my wife I want a $799 machine (this will be bought with the Partners Card but still don't need to go overboard if not necessary).

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

Alright, so it's set. Wife is getting me an Ooni for my birthday in six weeks or so. I'm being tasked with letting her know what exactly to get. Wood-pellet, gas-powered or multi-fuel? Is the 12 enough or is there a compelling reason to go with the 16? Not sure I want to tell my wife I want a $799 machine (this will be bought with the Partners Card but still don't need to go overboard if not necessary).

I was looking at this as well, just out of curiosity.  My guess is that gas or multifuel would be the way to go, with a natural gas hookup if that's an available source.  I know little Weber topper will accommodate larger than a 12" pie, which has been nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

FYI, Ooni just announced a price increase to their email list.

My opinion only, go with the 16.  Ability to cook slightly larger pizzas is important to me, but I got mouths to feed over here so the difference between cooking 3 or 4 pizzas vs. 5 or 6 adds up. The Karu looks very nice but that is a lot of jack when you add in the gas adapter. Koda is gas only, and I got no problem with that as it is simple as anything to fire up. Hardest part is looking to get the right temp at the stone, then controlling the temp, and keeping the pizza moving to prevent burning. 

https://ooni.com/blogs/news/a-note-on-pricing-from-founders-kristian-tapaninaho-and-darina-garland?

But as we’ve made the most of our new reality, we’ve also been dealing with new challenges. You have no doubt noticed that shipping times for many brands, including ours, have grown lengthier and harder to predict since the pandemic began. Disruptions to the global supply chain have been a major factor in that, and over time, shipping containers have also become few and far between. 

We pride ourselves on being upfront with our community, which is why we wanted to let you know ahead of time that as of October 1, 2021, we will be forced to raise prices on the Ooni Koda 12, Koda 16, Fyra 12, and Karu 12 ovens.

Increasing costs for raw materials and manufacturing, as well as ever-more-astronomical shipping rates, are the main factors driving this decision. We have borne these skyrocketing costs as long as we could, but acting responsibly is part of our duty to our employees and partners, and for Ooni, unfortunately, increasing our prices is the responsible thing to do.

We personally don’t love getting blindsided by changes, which is why we’ve built in a grace period for anyone who has been thinking of purchasing a new Ooni oven. Prices will remain at current levels through the end of this month, to allow our community time to make any necessary purchases at our longstanding prices. It’s our way of showing appreciation for the support and trust you’ve placed in Ooni.

Price_Increases_Table2021_480x480.png?v=

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/17/2021 at 10:23 AM, C-Man said:

I asked my wife and she confirmed that 12 inches isn’t big enough

Tried something new here going for a NY style.  Cooked the pizza initially on a pizza screen like this.  Right in the oven on the screen, no need to launch off the peel. Once bottom firmed up a bit, took the pizza off the screen and finished right on the stone.  High heat to prep stone, and then very low heat using the "low heat" trick on the ooni regulator to finish.  Saw this on a couple ooni videos and greatly simplifies the entire process, and elevates the crispiness of the crunch.  This is the best thin crust that I have done in my oven.  Cheese out now, waiting on the daughter to get home to throw on the second.

91CvPE96KbS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

5-BD2-F5-ED-C2-D1-4257-8285-75-E6-B2-EA1

E6-D97-DBB-ED46-469-D-8635-EB95-FC363-C7

4332-D95-B-2-C90-443-B-8-FAF-0078-CDF472

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

On 9/23/2021 at 11:06 PM, Anastasis said:

~900F. 

Is the oven big enough to turn the pizza inside?

when the stone is at 900, what is the average cook time, and what is the temperature of the stone immediately following pie removal?

Trying to get an idea how it compares to a commercial pizza oven. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 9/25/2021 at 7:26 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Is the oven big enough to turn the pizza inside?

when the stone is at 900, what is the average cook time, and what is the temperature of the stone immediately following pie removal?

Trying to get an idea how it compares to a commercial pizza oven. 

With a turning peel, yes.  I can turn a 16" in there but it is tight.  Or you can just pull it out and turn it on the peel and put it back in. 

cook time anywhere from 60 seconds to a few minutes depending on style and temp.  Haven't measured stone temp right after a cook.  I just crank it back up while I take one inside and start prepping the next. 

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

With a turning peel, yes.  I can turn a 16" in there but it is tight.  Or you can just pull it out and turn it on the peel and put it back in. 

cook time anywhere from 60 seconds to a few minutes depending on style and temp.  Haven't measured stone temp right after a cook.  I just crank it back up while I take one inside and start prepping the next. 

I think it would be worth it to see how much heat transfer from your stone to pizza (record time).  Assuming the ideal is NY style, it should be thin but hold integrity when holding slice horizontal from the crust. 

When we used stone ovens, they took 4 hours to get to a usable temp, and you were constantly monitoring the stone for heat loss (sometime stopping and allowing a reheat). All was the quest to prevent the white bottom crust. Everything is a factor though. From rest time of dough to topping temp. It’s easy to adjust the toppings to keep from burning, but difficult to dial in the crust. Once you know time and temp it should remain consistent and allow you to adjust from there. 

BIL has one now so will experiment with him when I visit. Great little product. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 8:46 PM, Anastasis said:

Gentlemen, we have reproducibility. 

For large pizzas in the ooni I am going to strongly recommend a pizza screen.  No launch, full 16" of crispy under bottom. 

41587899-C385-48-CF-9-F3-B-B9-FB72264-F6

6-F9-E4-CFE-475-B-4-AB2-9-D28-AC99711-D2

CB8-BBD63-33-CD-4-D7-C-96-FC-1-FEE24-F70

looks awesome, definitely buying one or two of these screens. Also glad to see the video about the low zone. Sometimes the thing runs so damn hot that the toppings just get blasted to death before everything else is done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ooni is coming for my birthday in a couple of weeks or Xmas. We plan to take advantage of the Partners Card discount at certain retailers. Sur La Table and Crate & Barrel are included. I'd kind of decided I wanted the 16-inch gas/pellet combo Ooni but neither carries that model. They have the 16-inch gas-only or the 12-inch combo. Or we could bite the bullet and not save the 20% and get the 16-inch combo Ooni at Wlliams Sonoma, which is not taking part in Partners Club card for 2021.

Thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Ooni is coming for my birthday in a couple of weeks or Xmas. We plan to take advantage of the Partners Card discount at certain retailers. Sur La Table and Crate & Barrel are included. I'd kind of decided I wanted the 16-inch gas/pellet combo Ooni but neither carries that model. They have the 16-inch gas-only or the 12-inch combo. Or we could bite the bullet and not save the 20% and get the 16-inch combo Ooni at Wlliams Sonoma, which is not taking part in Partners Club card for 2021.

Thoughts?

Honestly I don't see how much added benefit you get from the pellets.  I wouldn't think the crusts would be in there long enough for the wood smoke to have much impact.

I'm jealous.  I have wanted one of these for a while but have nowhere to put it.

On 10/21/2021 at 2:47 PM, C-Man said:

Thoughts?

I have the Pro which is a discontinued (I think) dual fuel.  Wife bought it for an anniversary present bc she thought I'd love a wood fired pizza oven.  I've never used anything other than the gas.  FWIW I have 2 young kids so don't have the time for a stick burner or komado style smoker either.  I prefer charcoal to gas, but we grill 3-4 times per week on a propane Weber because it's convenient.  YMMV

1 hour ago, drt said:

I have the Pro which is a discontinued (I think) dual fuel.  Wife bought it for an anniversary present bc she thought I'd love a wood fired pizza oven.  I've never used anything other than the gas.  FWIW I have 2 young kids so don't have the time for a stick burner or komado style smoker either.  I prefer charcoal to gas, but we grill 3-4 times per week on a propane Weber because it's convenient.  YMMV

I have a BGE, a propane Weber grill and a Klose 24x40 (or 48) smoker. I like to use the BGE the most but I can't figure pizza out like I'd like hence the Ooni coming on-board.

I was mainly interested in the dual because it was the same price and give you flexibility. But when you're talking about 20% of $599 or whatever but you can only get the gas-only, it feels like a no-brainer IMO. Feel like that is being confirmed.

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I have a BGE, a propane Weber grill and a Klose 24x40 (or 48) smoker. I like to use the BGE the most but I can't figure pizza out like I'd like hence the Ooni coming on-board.

I was mainly interested in the dual because it was the same price and give you flexibility. But when you're talking about 20% of $599 or whatever but you can only get the gas-only, it feels like a no-brainer IMO. Feel like that is being confirmed.

Call it and go with gas.  The pizzas spend anywhere from 1 to just a few minutes in there. Gas is super easy with these ovens.  I could maybe see going purist with the wood fire if I had one of those big ass ovens in the backyard and building the fire was part of the zen process. But even the wood fired ooni's are not that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pizza screen has been a game changer for me. Probably 9 of the 10 best pizzas I’ve ever cooked have been since I bought two screens. The launcher was fun but the toppings would get screwed up in the launch, also I would end up with quite a bit of corn meal on my crusts. Turning it is also so much easier now. 

Also, Ooni pro tip, don’t run it at full blast. My pizzas are turning out way better running at around 500-600 degrees instead of 900. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I love having a fire burning,  have one going pretty often in the fire pit. Bought a wood fired pizza oven a few months ago, pretty fun to play with. As stated above, the dough is the tricky part,  I need more practice for sure.  Will post pics of the oven in just a second. My very first pizza was a total disaster, fucker didn’t launch, got all waded up, it launched perfectly in the trash can though.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, Ooni has 20% off sitewide through Cyber Monday (1 week from now). Not the best deal you'll find if you're willing to watch Slickdeals and wait, but probably the best price you'll find before Christmas if you want one now.

Be aware the "dual fuel" ones are not ready for dual fuel out of the box, you need to buy the gas burner separately, which is another $100.

• Hook 'Em 1