Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I think a homemade sauce will move the needle muuuuuch more than 00 flour.

That’s certainly not to say that I don’t use jar sauce sometime (Rao’s is also my go-to).  I also don’t make my own dough anymore because I don’t enjoy that part and my dough wasn’t thaaaaat much better than the store stuff.

So, in other words, what the hell do I know?

it is fun as fuck though.  My favorite thing to cook.  Glad you’re enjoying it.

I actually did my first one with a home made sauce using this stuff, olive oil and salt but honestly I thought that pizza hut sauce was better so I figured maybe I needed to find a good store bought sauce b/c i'd never be able to channel my inner italian grandma sitting on the stove for 8 hours stirring sauce. I think making the dough is one of my favorite parts. I get the use and justify the mixer and I am fascinated with figuring out how to make it the lightest, fluffiest, crunchiest, bubbliest pizza crust. I just realized I have a bunch of brisket I think i'll see how that tastes but not sure how it'll pair with tomato sauce.. Out of pesto but I want to do some kind of chicken pesto cheese pizza, i think that'll be good

17 minutes ago, dad said:

I actually did my first one with a home made sauce using this stuff, olive oil and salt but honestly I thought that pizza hut sauce was better so I figured maybe I needed to find a good store bought sauce b/c i'd never be able to channel my inner italian grandma sitting on the stove for 8 hours stirring sauce. I think making the dough is one of my favorite parts. I get the use and justify the mixer and I am fascinated with figuring out how to make it the lightest, fluffiest, crunchiest, bubbliest pizza crust. I just realized I have a bunch of brisket I think i'll see how that tastes but not sure how it'll pair with tomato sauce.. Out of pesto but I want to do some kind of chicken pesto cheese pizza, i think that'll be good

This is the sauce I've found to be the best (Jimmy's recommended to me).

large_70ebd185-3a22-474f-930f-825f445e72

I put a can of crushed tomatoes into a pot and start adding sugar, onion , garlic, pepper, whatever I feel like until it tastes good. 

my upthread pizza night included mixing the tomato sauce and Alfredo into a pink sauce that works great for some pizzas. 

of course with the best pizza of them all, the margherita, you don’t need sauce at all. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I put a can of crushed tomatoes into a pot and start adding sugar, onion , garlic, pepper, whatever I feel like until it tastes good. 

This is true.  You also can even just get canned marzano tomatoes and just stick a hand blender in there to chop it up, add some chopped basil and/or oregano and some salt, and voila!

2 hours ago, dad said:

46 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

This is true.  You also can even just get canned marzano tomatoes and just stick a hand blender in there to chop it up, add some chopped basil and/or oregano and some salt, and voila!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do.  No 8 hour Italian grandma cooks for me.  I use a regular blender, can of peeled SM tomatoes, handful of basil, some garlic, some salt and boom.  Great sauce every time and super easy.

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

This is the sauce I've found to be the best (Jimmy's recommended to me).

large_70ebd185-3a22-474f-930f-825f445e72

1 hour ago, dad said:

Ordered from amazon. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too.  Thanks, @DDD Dad.  I am not above using a jar sauce from time to time.

Damn I fucking love making pizzas.  Maybe we all missed our calling.  Of course, I'm sure if I had to do it for a living it would be a beating like pretty much everything else.

• Like 2

Kind of thinking of asking my $10 if he wants to make them for people around the neighborhood for $10 a pizza and he gets to keep the money. Teach him how to be a freaking pizza master, manage money and just grind in general. I used to mow yards, he can do what he likes doing, baking stuff with his dad.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, dad said:

Kind of thinking of asking my $10 if he wants to make them for people around the neighborhood for $10 a pizza and he gets to keep the money. Teach him how to be a freaking pizza master, manage money and just grind in general. I used to mow yards, he can do what he likes doing, baking stuff with his dad.

Am I too old to try the same thing in my neighborhood?

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Am I too old to try the same thing in my neighborhood?

Obviously I meant my 10 year old but perhaps that was a Freudian slip of me seeing this as a business opportunity. LOL no you're not too old, there are TONS of people selling food on FB marketplace. But I think i've seen you post in other threads and you seem like a rich guy who isn't about to waste time slinging pizzas on FB marketplace lol. 

5 minutes ago, dad said:

Obviously I meant my 10 year old but perhaps that was a Freudian slip of me seeing this as a business opportunity. LOL no you're not too old, there are TONS of people selling food on FB marketplace. But I think i've seen you post in other threads and you seem like a rich guy who isn't about to waste time slinging pizzas on FB marketplace lol. 

Haha not a rich guy.  But I’d do it because it’s fun.  If I enjoyed my real job as much as I like making pizza, I probably would be a rich guy.

• Like 1

I think a homemade sauce will move the needle muuuuuch more than 00 flour.
That’s certainly not to say that I don’t use jar sauce sometime (Rao’s is also my go-to).  I also don’t make my own dough anymore because I don’t enjoy that part and my dough wasn’t thaaaaat much better than the store stuff.
So, in other words, what the hell do I know?
it is fun as fuck though.  My favorite thing to cook.  Glad you’re enjoying it.
I also use Raos, but i think the best is roasting cherry tomatoes with some garlic. Blend them up with olive oil and a little salt. Tastes fantastic and is more of a spread than a sauce, which i prefer.
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:14 PM, Landomatic said:

Me too.  Thanks, @DDD Dad.  I am not above using a jar sauce from time to time.

Damn I fucking love making pizzas.  Maybe we all missed our calling.  Of course, I'm sure if I had to do it for a living it would be a beating like pretty much everything else.

dude i really want to get an ooni or rockbox pizza oven (honestly, the Ooni after seen Kenji's video on them - that wide opening is money) for exactly this.

there are some kids in our area  that are making and delivering neopolitian style pizza i found on instagram and its amazing, im sure it's hard to roll out but they are doing it out of a backyard before flipping over to a food truck style setup.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 2

On 7/15/2020 at 12:14 PM, NoName said:

any recs on buying pepperoni? i want some #pepcups so prefer the smaller ones that crisp up really well...

due to the rona and where i live probably buying online if that matters.

this is the stuff they use in columbus, oh, to make pizza that looks like this, just have to find a place to buy it:

http://www.ezzo.com/

AR-310229945.jpg

hormel is selling cupping pepperoni so i grabbed a bag of that at HEB, haven't tried it out yet

Edited by elfenix

Mutti's is good (and, Jimmy's also has Don Pepino's, which is also tasty), but, I like to get Cento Tomato Puree (you can find it at Wal-Mart), and add salt and sugar.  Thin crust dough (Basic recipe w/ Italian sourdough yeast, w/ a little neutral yeast for some extra spring), Johnsonville Italian Sausage, and the highest quality/ highest fat Mozzerella I can find (currently, using cheese from Business Costco fwiw, or, in a pinch, regular Costco Mozz cheese, or, Sargento/ Kraft from the grocery stores).  Longer you let the dough ferment/ condition, better it is- up to a point.  High Temp bake/ pizza stone in oven.  Pretty good for home-made pizza.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

this is the stuff they use in columbus, oh, to make pizza that looks like this, just have to find a place to buy it:

AR-310229945.jpg

hormel is selling cupping pepperoni so i grabbed a bag of that at HEB, haven't tried it out yet

I'm so ridiculous. Just ordered 2 sticks. Approx cost ~ $42. I'll do a comp with the DeLallo when I get it. 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 9:57 PM, LosIllini said:

Mutti's is good (and, Jimmy's also has Don Pepino's, which is also tasty), but, I like to get Cento Tomato Puree (you can find it at Wal-Mart), and add salt and sugar.  Thin crust dough (Basic recipe w/ Italian sourdough yeast, w/ a little neutral yeast for some extra spring), Johnsonville Italian Sausage, and the highest quality/ highest fat Mozzerella I can find (currently, using cheese from Business Costco fwiw, or, in a pinch, regular Costco Mozz cheese, or, Sargento/ Kraft from the grocery stores).  Longer you let the dough ferment/ condition, better it is- up to a point.  High Temp bake/ pizza stone in oven.  Pretty good for home-made pizza.

All that fancy shit and you're using Johnsonville sausage?  I only use Johnsonville if I'm really in a bind...like if the store is out of every other much better option.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:53 AM, Baboontyme said:

On 7/16/2020 at 4:50 PM, DDD Dad said:

This is the "stick" I was trying to remember from up thread.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:32 PM, elfenix said:

AR-310229945.jpg

On 7/16/2020 at 9:57 PM, Baboontyme said:

I'm so ridiculous. Just ordered 2 sticks. Approx cost ~ $42. I'll do a comp with the DeLallo when I get it. 

What's the go-to for slicing this stuff?  Regular handheld mandoline get it done?  Or am I going to need to invest in a commercial grade meat slicer...along with my new pizza oven and all the other shit my dumb ass will "need" for this new hobby of ours.  I swear, homemade pizza is like a Barbie for grown men.

40 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

What's the go-to for slicing this stuff?  Regular handheld mandoline get it done?  Or am I going to need to invest in a commercial grade meat slicer...along with my new pizza oven and all the other shit my dumb ass will "need" for this new hobby of ours.  I swear, homemade pizza is like a Barbie for grown men.

I use...a sharp knife. And a cutting board. 

It doesn't have to be razor thin to cup up. 

Mandolin
  • Haha 1

I would think rocker type would make the cleanest cuts. Sometimes those stupid wheels get gunked up and ruin nice clean cuts. What I've done a few times was cut mine on the wood peel, is that a no no for any reason? I don't think a bunch of lines into the wood should do anything to it. Enough corn meal/flour and you're good to go. Also heard something about regularly oiling wood peels but haven't researched that nor see a true need. 

Rockers work best when equal or larger than the size of your pie, otherwise they suck.  

Find a restaurant style wheel cutter with a 6 inch wheel (not basic 4inches everyone has).  Keep sharp.  With pie on a proper cutting surface, slam wheel down hard enough to cut through the pizza dough all the way to the pizza pan or cutting board before you being your roll forward and back.  The slam ensures a clean cut every time  

Rockers work best when equal or larger than the size of your pie, otherwise they suck.  

Find a restaurant style wheel cutter with a 6 inch wheel (not basic 4inches everyone has).  Keep sharp.  With pie on a proper cutting surface, slam wheel down hard enough to cut through the pizza dough all the way to the pizza pan or cutting board before you being your roll forward and back.  The slam ensures a clean cut every time  

Or just buy an Oxo cutter. Works great. Have never felt lacking in the pizza cutting dept.
  • Like 1

I also use Raos, but i think the best is roasting cherry tomatoes with some garlic. Blend them up with olive oil and a little salt. Tastes fantastic and is more of a spread than a sauce, which i prefer.

Good call. I like the sauce a lot. I’ve always liked sauces based out of cherry tomatoes, they seem to have a lot of flavor.

520c044e02cb67f25ebe35625e359de3.jpg

17508f45747f77b22d29a40d1e7021f5.jpg

a72b195d9b53497705eb3814fc811d08.jpg

f48a7ed7c71e34db362333d96fffd364.jpg

6eb9818aeeeba4d9217e25f0f44bcdba.jpg

42901a646b474e687316884ba68e2f55.jpg

Tried cutting my own pepperonis but I went too think I think.
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 7:02 AM, NoName said:

dude i really want to get an ooni or rockbox pizza oven (honestly, the Ooni after seen Kenji's video on them - that wide opening is money) for exactly this.

I ordered a Koda 16 back in May.  Apparently I missed the cutoff for the first batch by like a day, and they put me on backorder until "late August". Looks like they have September ship dates now. 

On 7/18/2020 at 9:20 AM, Landomatic said:

All that fancy shit and you're using Johnsonville sausage?  I only use Johnsonville if I'm really in a bind...like if the store is out of every other much better option.

Nothing fancy- just a good midwestern, tavern-style pizza.  Johnsonville is consistent/ nice and greasy.

• Like 1

Been wanting to branch out a little from the standard classics (sausage, pepperoni, margherita, etc).  Wife remembers some sort of potato pizza (yeah, I know it sounds weird) from her childhood that she claims is one of the best pizzas she's ever had.  So, we decided to try to recreate it.

Going off her memory of about 25 years ago, we came up with this.  EVOO and salt on the crust, mozzarella cheese, layer of thin sliced red potatoes, pancetta and she couldn't remember what kind of herb it had on it, but was pretty sure it wasn't basil, so she decided to try sage.  She couldn't remember if it had any kind of sauce and if it did, what it was, but was positive it didn't have red sauce.  We decided no sauce.

Here's the end result.  Not exactly how she remembered it and needs some tweaking...potatoes probably needed to cook a little before being added to pizza, needed more oil if we weren't using sauce (it was a little dry) and probably could have benefitted from more cheese.  I had very low expectations but it turned out surprisingly good...

Uo8o1T.jpg

Also did one of the old standbys just to be safe (as I expected the potato one to be crap).  Damn I love this pizza...

5XIQbf.jpg

• Like 5

I would love to get the burnt crust of those legit pizza ovens like the Ooni Koda 16 but the bottom not being that crispy is a concern given that it cooks so fast. Anyone here have any experience with that type or similar? I measured the temps at the metal grate in my Black and Decker once it was hot and it was around 550 to 625 at spots consistently and still at 450+ after finishing a whole cook with lots of opening and closing so that seems good. The crust phenomenon that I desire must happen beyond the 600 deg realm.

Seems like dough flavor and texture really takes off after day two resting in fridge. Found a lot of good options I hadn’t seen before at the local Walmart. The Margherita style Rao’s sauce was great.

06bf8432be8ab33aec3f91648fe665cd.jpg

1648004c4ebf7fd8aaf3c1788658ae23.jpg

• Like 1

I've got a local pizza place that rises their dough a mininum of 72hr. If you go right after a day they're closed, sometimes the dough was left over and sat an extra day, near 100hr. It's awesome.

Lando, definitely precook the potatoes a bit if you're trying that. Microwave is lazy and easy. Or even lightly pan fry the slices beforehand (lower heat, you aren't really trying to crisp the outside).

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

A styrofoam cooler packed with dry ice came today via Fed ex. These things are quite massive. I probably could have done fine with just ordering 1. 

50137920687_6a34985ac0_c.jpg

50137920117_19eedae70e_c.jpg

i mean at that point might as well order 2 vs 1

whoever recommended the pep sticks from vermont - they were spot on. really damn good

Tried the Mutti this past week and I liked the flavor.  It works in a pinch - less effort.

Our real estate agent bought us an Ooni Koda (not the 16) as a housewarming present and my first impression is that it is awesome!  Going to use it again tonight.  

On 7/20/2020 at 6:51 AM, Landomatic said:

Been wanting to branch out a little from the standard classics (sausage, pepperoni, margherita, etc).  Wife remembers some sort of potato pizza (yeah, I know it sounds weird) from her childhood that she claims is one of the best pizzas she's ever had.  So, we decided to try to recreate it.

Going off her memory of about 25 years ago, we came up with this.  EVOO and salt on the crust, mozzarella cheese, layer of thin sliced red potatoes, pancetta and she couldn't remember what kind of herb it had on it, but was pretty sure it wasn't basil, so she decided to try sage.  She couldn't remember if it had any kind of sauce and if it did, what it was, but was positive it didn't have red sauce.  We decided no sauce.

Here's the end result.  Not exactly how she remembered it and needs some tweaking...potatoes probably needed to cook a little before being added to pizza, needed more oil if we weren't using sauce (it was a little dry) and probably could have benefitted from more cheese.  I had very low expectations but it turned out surprisingly good...

Uo8o1T.jpg

Also did one of the old standbys just to be safe (as I expected the potato one to be crap).  Damn I love this pizza...

5XIQbf.jpg

I've had the mashed potato pizza at my aunts place in CT they always order every summer.  Here is the ingredients from the menu of the place we order from 

Mashed Potato Pizza
Mashed potatoes, bacon, onions, cheddar & fresh garlic.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:32 AM, dad said:

I would love to get the burnt crust of those legit pizza ovens like the Ooni Koda 16 but the bottom not being that crispy is a concern given that it cooks so fast. Anyone here have any experience with that type or similar? I measured the temps at the metal grate in my Black and Decker once it was hot and it was around 550 to 625 at spots consistently and still at 450+ after finishing a whole cook with lots of opening and closing so that seems good. The crust phenomenon that I desire must happen beyond the 600 deg realm.

I'm not quite following you, but I think you want more char on the crust? Are you wanting more on the ring of topside crust, or on the bottom? (or both?) For bottom, easy way is preheat more, or preheat a stone or steel and cook on it. That'll get more heat into the crust.

For topside, it's a little more tricky balancing toppings cooking with crust cooking, but from your pic, it looks like the ring of crust is very thick and wide. Try pulling it thinner and see if that helps.

I'll have pictures to support tomorrow but I want to post initial impressions. No dog in the fight, in fact if I wanted to take sides I would side with the brand that I just bought ~ 5 lbs of. I think DeLallo is better. It curls more if that's your criteria. The Ezzo had more of a richer, beefier flavor and was a little more spicy. Not much. I found that the heat seemed to grow with the DeLallo the more I consumed, whereas with the Ezzo it was immediate.

Pepperoni wars. Covid. So stupid.  But yeah I prefer DeLallo and even though I didn't do a direct comparison I think I would prefer Vermont. Now what the hell am I going to do with 4.99 lbs of Ezzo pepperoni sticks.