Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

51 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Why do you have ice cubes on your pizza?

So after you pull it out you have a nice firm crust, with a little pool of water in the middle.  You throw some cheese in there and incorporate with the water by moving the pie around to create a little sauce.  I forgot to take a picture before I starting adding cheese, so here is what it looks like with the first few sprinkles of pecorino. after a good little pecorino jelly forms, hit with some pepper and some olive oil.  Where I went a little overboard is after that, I added another round of pecorino and pepper, and it was too much.  Should have just stopped after the initial round.

70-FE825-A-A22-F-47-E9-BEC2-70598-D40-FE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’m digging the Ooni. I’ve looked it up on my computer, now every page I look at has Ooni ads on both sides. 

Same. I looked it up when Anastasis mentioned them, then spent all day watching their YouTube videos. Now I get their adds everywhere. Totally want one

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Same. I looked it up when Anastasis mentioned them, then spent all day watching their YouTube videos. Now I get their adds everywhere. Totally want one

OK. So this guy has an over the top cali stoned out vibe in some of his videos, but he grows on you. This video is one of the ones where he keeps it a little more toned down. Worth a subscribe imo. If you get to his dough recipes, he knows what he is doing with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’m digging the Ooni. I’ve looked it up on my computer, now every page I look at has Ooni ads on both sides. 

9 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yeah, I wish I could get paid for the ridiculous number of hours I have spent/will spend doing this exact thing.

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

OK. So this guy has an over the top cali stoned out vibe in some of his videos, but he grows on you. This video is one of the ones where he keeps it a little more toned down. Worth a subscribe imo. If you get to his dough recipes, he knows what he is doing with it. 

Whooooa, Mr Hand!

10 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I really want to do a Detroit. Having Via withdrawals, and Jay Jerrier’s new venture is too far away from me (Thunderbird).

1) Check out 8 mile pies: https://www.instagram.com/8milepies/

2) this is an easy really damn good at home version of a Detroit style pizza: https://www.ethanchlebowski.com/cooking-techniques-recipes/no-knead-sheet-pan-pizza

• Like 1

We bought a couple of these to try out, holy fuck these are great. The green pepper mix is our go to but all of them are fantastic.
Wasn’t sure where to post this, figured the pizza thread was best.d26bdd6f33cb8e47c45bd175c62eee4f.png53b748994cb55fde59295a8a259414d5.png

Edited by RMac5
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Looks good!  What pan did you use? 2nd pic looks like too much sauce for my liking, but that's up to individual preferences, obviously. 

This one off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0N85YI

I think that image is a little deceiving.  It was less sauce than the first one. Also, I forget to put the sauce on before it went in for the bake. Didn't remember until it was about 3/4 of the way cooked. So the sauce didn't really bake down into the pie at all. Also need to step up my cheese game on the detroit style.  

22 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Can you Ooni the Detroit styles or does it need a regular oven?

I cooked it in the regular oven.  There are videos of people cooking them in an ooni, but I don't feel like I have a good grasp of the temperature control at this point, and I was in a hurry so I didn't want to fuck with it.  

You can't keep them all over the plate.  Sometimes you are going to throw it in the dirt.

Today's attempt was one of those pitches into the dirt.

Tried to go big 14"+ NY style, and had issues with the dough sticking to my peel. Both pies had problems.  I didn't let my sauce cool all the way, and I think that created the problem, sweating through and sticking. I haven't used a cooked sauce before.  Total shit show. Lesson learned.

D1911-AE0-AEE0-498-A-BF0-C-18-F4712-BE3-

I did salvage this one slice of cheese that made me happy. 

36-B4-E1-C2-2622-443-F-A631-653157-ED256

47-D2-CC4-B-77-A4-4-F80-80-D0-259193-C91

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You can't keep them all over the plate.  Sometimes you are going to throw it in the dirt.

Today's attempt was one of those pitches into the dirt.

Tried to go big 14"+ NY style, and had issues with the dough sticking to my peel. Both pies had problems.  I didn't let my sauce cool all the way, and I think that created the problem, sweating through and sticking. I haven't used a cooked sauce before.  Total shit show. Lesson learned.

D1911-AE0-AEE0-498-A-BF0-C-18-F4712-BE3-

I did salvage this one slice of cheese that made me happy. 

36-B4-E1-C2-2622-443-F-A631-653157-ED256

47-D2-CC4-B-77-A4-4-F80-80-D0-259193-C91

We have all been there man.

• Hook 'Em 1

Metal peel to launch? I only use the wood one to launch and just assume the metal one will stick more no matter how much semolina flour I use. I need to try detroit style. On a separate topic I used my gas grill topped Bakerstone Pizza oven for the first time and had a great experience but wanted to chronicle it better with pictures since I was in a hurry and it was hot as balls outside so I'll post an update the next time I use it.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, dad said:

Metal peel to launch? I only use the wood one to launch and just assume the metal one will stick more no matter how much semolina flour I use. I need to try detroit style. On a separate topic I used my gas grill topped Bakerstone Pizza oven for the first time and had a great experience but wanted to chronicle it better with pictures since I was in a hurry and it was hot as balls outside so I'll post an update the next time I use it.

I just did pizza night and it was hot as balls inside by the time I was done.  Sadly, I don’t think July and August are good pizza season in Texas.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ll keep doing it damn near every week.  But it’s pretty fucking brutal with that oven cranking out heat the way it does for that long. I may need to invest in a headband.  Maybe Something cool like one that says “kiss the chef” or some shit 🤔

I was just asking my dad about his ooni to get a sense of how he liked it, and as older parents do he decided he’s just going to give it to me. I think he’s only used it once or twice so it’s basically brand new. Pretty excited to get a chance to use it. If pizzas from oven < kamado grill, I can only imagine the difference an Actual pizza oven will make after my last effort on the kamado was the best I’ve made yet. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 7:43 PM, Anastasis said:

Yeah.  I've been looking at some other iterations. 

This one is interesting. The brunette even moreso.

Tried this last night.  It was kind of my interpretation of it.  Didn't really feel like messing with trying the whole ice cube thing.  Plus @Anastasis already did that this week.  One of the best pizzas I've ever made.  Holy shit it was great.  I thought it would kind of just taste like cheese pizza, but it was so much more than that.

Had to tweak the recipe some, mostly because I couldn't find two of the fancy cheeses this guy was using...provoloncino di agerola and fior di latte.  But I also thought it needed pecorino romano because how the hell do you have Cacio e Pepe without that?

For the crema, I did heavy cream, shredded parmigiano reggiano (looked like he used grated) and riccota in the ninja.  Turned out perfect.

Spread that on, just like the video.  Then I just used regular provolone, regular mozzarella and I added a pretty generous sprinkling of pecorino romano.

Pulled from the oven, hit it with just a tiny little drizzle of olive oil, a touch of finishing salt, and some fresh cracked pepper.  Drizzle of the crema again (might have been a little hot when I added this as it melted almost instantly, which didn't impact the taste, just the presentation).

Overall very easy and just really really fucking good...

fHsG0H.jpg

Also did a more traditional salami, sausage and mushroom.  It was okay.  But it got very up-staged by the cacio e pepe...

yhFGft.jpg

Great night overall, but as I mentioned earlier, fuck it was hot by the end...to the point of it almost becoming not enjoyable.  Wish I had a solution for that other than just waiting for the weather to get cooler.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Could not be farther from the truth.  What the hell gave you that idea?

Well, just with a conventional oven, personal preference/experience I guess. But since you are apparently king swinging dick of the pizza thread I’ll take your word for it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Great night overall, but as I mentioned earlier, fuck it was hot by the end...to the point of it almost becoming not enjoyable.  Wish I had a solution for that other than just waiting for the weather to get cooler.

Cold beer.

Edited by CycleTex87
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So is there any hope of whipping up a decent dough for cooking tonight?  Dinner plans fell through.

Style probably doesn't matter all that much, but we prefer NY or Naples crust in a perfect world.  Detroit or even deep dish would be fine if those are lower risk with a short rise.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So is there any hope of whipping up a decent dough for cooking tonight?  Dinner plans fell through.

Style probably doesn't matter all that much, but we prefer NY or Naples crust in a perfect world.  Detroit or even deep dish would be fine if those are lower risk with a short rise.

I too would like a go to easy dough recipe.  And any tips for getting good gluten production from my stand mixer.  I got a batch of sourdough proofing right now and it just doesn't seem to have any stretch.  I ran it for 10-15 minutes or so on the hook, and it felt ok yesterday, but just not holding it's structure today once I balled it up.  I may have to hit up whole foods and grab a couple dough balls. 

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I too would like a go to easy dough recipe.  And any tips for getting good gluten production from my stand mixer.  I got a batch of sourdough proofing right now and it just doesn't seem to have any stretch.  I ran it for 10-15 minutes or so on the hook, and it felt ok yesterday, but just not holding it's structure today once I balled it up.  I may have to hit up whole foods and grab a couple dough balls. 

Are the WF dough balls frozen or fresh?  I mentioned it earlier, but HEB's "New French Bakery" brand of frozen dough balls is pretty decent.  They thaw in a couple of hours.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This guy seems pretty legit and knocks his out in 2 hours.  I've never tried it.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are the WF dough balls frozen or fresh?

I use this almost every time and it's great.  You better hurry if it's for tonight though, because you'll want to sit it on the counter for several hours (I set mine out first thing the morning I cook it) before you start making the pizza.

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are the WF dough balls frozen or fresh?  I mentioned it earlier, but HEB's "New French Bakery" brand of frozen dough balls is pretty decent.  They thaw in a couple of hours.

Trader Joe's also has fresh dough (or at least it used to).  The issue with any "quick" dough recipe is going to be flavor.  Flavor needs time, usually at least 24 hours, to develop.  You can get the rise and gluten development in a quick recipe (proofing a few hours using dry yeast) but the flavor will be bland without the refrigerator development.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Trader Joe's also has fresh dough (or at least it used to).  The issue with any "quick" dough recipe is going to be flavor.  Flavor needs time, usually at least 24 hours, to develop.  You can get the rise and gluten development in a quick recipe (proofing a few hours using dry yeast) but the flavor will be bland without the refrigerator development.

Yeah, that's what I was going for with a 24+ ferment with my sourdough.  The dough just failed though.  It has a nice little sourdough funk to it, but no stretch at all. Do you think that my mixer just did a shitty job of working the dough?  I may roll one ball out and just cook it naked to see if it might serve as a reasonable base for my flammenkuchen. 

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, that's what I was going for with a 24+ ferment with my sourdough.  The dough just failed though.  It has a nice little sourdough funk to it, but no stretch at all. Do you think that my mixer just did a shitty job of working the dough?  I may roll one ball out and just cook it naked to see if it might serve as a reasonable base for my flammenkuchen. 

How long did you have it in the mixer?  What setting?  You really don't want to go more than 1-2 with the hook or you'll break down the gluten that you're building by kneading it.  If you're doing sourdough for pizza in a mixer you need to really watch it and see how it develops.  Stop it every minute or so after the first few minutes and test the stretch (window pane test).

If the dough just never fermented enough it might mean that your starter isn't strong enough.  You can always make a "hybrid" dough with the sourdough starter and then some dry yeast to give it a boost.  

Edited by DDD Dad