Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I've used Trader Joe's balls before . . . phrasing . . . they gave me a massive gut reaction.  I might have a gluten thing going on, not sure, it's random, but those were the worst by far.

I've never tried them but saw them in the store.  Good data point.  Will avoid.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

How long did you have it in the mixer?  What setting?  You really don't want to go more than 1-2 with the hook or you'll break down the gluten that you're building by kneading it.  If you're doing sourdough for pizza in a mixer you need to really watch it and see how it develops.  Stop it every minute or so after the first few minutes and test the stretch (window pane test).

If the dough just never fermented enough it might mean that your starter isn't strong enough.  You can always make a "hybrid" dough with the sourdough starter and then some dry yeast to give it a boost.  

10 minutes on stir speed. Was working off the guidance from different sources and recipes. Maybe that is the problem with the current batch? Overkneading?

Just now, Anastasis said:

10 minutes on stir speed. Was working off the guidance from different sources and recipes. Maybe that is the problem with the current batch? Overkneading?

That would be my guess.  The dough is going to need a lot more time proofing at room temperature than with dry yeast, and then you will still want to chill it overnight or longer (24+hours) to help the flavor develop.

Edited by DDD Dad

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

That would be my guess.  The dough is going to need a lot more time proofing at room temperature than with dry yeast, and then you will still want to chill it overnight or longer (24+hours) to help the flavor develop.

Huh interesting. Dough is a new thing for me. Lots of ins and outs and what have yous. Gonna try to roll this busted batch out and see if I can make a cracker thin crust out of it. 

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Huh interesting. Dough is a new thing for me. Lots of ins and outs and what have yous. Gonna try to roll this busted batch out and see if I can make a cracker thin crust out of it. 

Or foccacia.  I did that a while back with an old ball of Jimmy's dough I had forgotten to cook.  Basically just spread it out into a well-oiled pan (your Detroit pan should do well), poke a bunch of dimples and sprinkle salt, rosemary, herbs, roasted garlic, etc.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Alright, I just launched a 1.5X batch in my bread machine (dough cycle only).  We'll see where it ends up.

Report back.  That looks almost too easy to be very good.  But as I said, that dude looks pretty legit...you know, in a crazy authentic old Italian guy, cooking on an Italian country side in an authentic pizza oven kind of way.

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Report back.  That looks almost too easy to be very good.  But as I said, that dude looks pretty legit...you know, in a crazy authentic old Italian guy, cooking on an Italian country side in an authentic pizza oven kind of way.

dude is almost more annoying than the cali stoner. 

41 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Gf and I thought about trying them out but may steer clear of it 

Don't take my word for it -- they're dirt cheap, try them out -- I just had a noticeable physical reaction that might have been completely unrelated to the quality of the dough.  They TASTED fine.

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Don't take my word for it -- they're dirt cheap, try them out -- I just had a noticeable physical reaction that might have been completely unrelated to the quality of the dough.  They TASTED fine.

Could it have been one of the other ingredients?  I mean, what makes you think it was specifically the dough?

23 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Could it have been one of the other ingredients?  I mean, what makes you think it was specifically the dough?

Very unlikely it was one of the other ingredients, since all were identical to what we usually use.

I have multiple food allergies, and like I said, I'm starting to get the feeling I have some issues with gluten.  I am highly allergic to almost all nuts (unlikely), most soy products (quite possible as a protein or oil), or maybe the gluten.

I would recommend everyone try the TJ dough, because it's cheap as shit, and I'm cheap as shit.  It just didn't work for me.

So dough is clearly my weak spot.  Picked up some dough balls from WF and the stretch and quality was far superior to what I have been putting out. Did white pizza's tonight.  A simple white, a spinach garlic and chicken, and a buffalo chicken.  I may just roll with the WF dough balls until I figure out a go to consistent recipe. 

E5-B41-F3-B-8-F0-D-4-E7-D-8493-FD48594-C

9-F981261-2413-4143-9-B94-5450-CB987-FCB

063-BF9-C2-DB11-4-D09-84-E2-CA0-B6-E63-E

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I may just roll with the WF dough balls until I figure out a go to consistent recipe.

Welcome to the club.  I went that route 1) because it’s better than what I tried on my own and 2) I truly don’t enjoy that part of making pizzas at all.  Maybe it’s cheating, maybe it’s not authentic?  Don’t care.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Welcome to the club.  I went that route 1) because it’s better than what I tried on my own and 2) I truly don’t enjoy that part of making pizzas at all.  Maybe it’s cheating, maybe it’s not authentic?  Don’t care.

$3 per ~600 gm ball makes two 12-14" pizzas.  This is a no brainer until I work out the kinks with a dough recipe.  

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Report back.  That looks almost too easy to be very good.

No photos, we were in high speed eating mode, but I'd say that was as good or better than any dough I've made.  Disclaimer:  I don't make very good dough, yet.

I did the dough cycle in my bread machine, then put it in a large olive-oiled ceramic bowl and let it rise in my garage under a towel for another hour.  Temperature was 95 F so I didn't want to go too long.  Let it sit in the kitchen for another hour and baked a few pies on a screaming hot cast iron skillet.

I'm still not very good at stretching, so I brought out the rolling pin at the end of each pie, but I'm getting better, and it wasn't quite as dense as my previous efforts.  I doubt there's anything magic about this guy's recipe, but it did turn out less sticky than the Roberta's dough I made last week.  I assume that's just a difference in hydration.

It was definitely good enough for my family, easily within the realm of various take-out joints in Austin.  Muir Glen tomato sauce, dried oregano, and sliced whole milk mozzarella + toppings.  Nothing mindblowing, but it gets a little better each time.  My son said "dad, this is definitely better than Pinthouse", so I'll take it.  I'd rather know how to make their beer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

$3 per ~600 gm ball makes two 12-14" pizzas.  This is a no brainer until I work out the kinks with a dough recipe.  

Yeah I keep about 6 or so of those on hand at all times.  Freeze them when I get them, move to the refrigerator anytime the day before I want pizza and move to a bowl on the counter with towel covering the next morning.  And I never make more than two pizzas in one night so they’re the perfect serving size.

It may have been mentioned somewhere upthread, but if your dough lacks flavor, after you parbake it for a few minutes, brush it with olive oil and crack some salt over the whole crust, then top it and finish baking the pizza. Even if you don’t change your dough recipe, that will keep your crust from being bland. I rarely make pizza in my cast iron so I can’t speak on if it would work the same in a deep dish. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

I have no idea what those cacio e pepe pizzas would taste like, and they look unhealthish as far as pizzas go but damn they look good. Great job guys. I'll try them one day but it does seem like a pain in the dick finding all those fancy cheeses ... unless Central Market carries all that shit $$$$$$$.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

No shit. I would make pizza 2-3 times per month if it were up to me. Alas, it is not and I'm lucky to make it once a month.

Well this is fucking depressing.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
6 hours ago, Landomatic said:
Yours lasted a lot longer than mine would have.

No shit. I would make pizza 2-3 times per month if it were up to me. Alas, it is not and I'm lucky to make it once a month.

I make one every day for my 10 year old for lunch. What usually ends up happening is I eat 3 slices, he eats 2, the wife eats 2 and the 1 year old eats 1. Lately she has been getting tired of it though but its been a solid two months at this point. Diabetus here we come?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, Landomatic said:
Yours lasted a lot longer than mine would have.

I try at least once a week, but that is met with some resistance every few weeks.

Wait...are we still talking about pizza here?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1