Alaskan Cruise

squib

So my elderly parents have decided they want to do an Alaskan cruise. I have never cruised and know next to nothing about the process. I have googled a bit and the options are all over the place. What I know about them:

• Pops needs a smoking option
  • They won't be interested in excurions that involve hiking, etc.
  • They will likely want to depart out of Seattle. 
  • They would like to go this summer or fall.
  • They aren't broke but not loaded either. 

Anyone been or have any pointers?

I did this last summer - it is a great experience we went with my in-laws and my 2 young children (4 and 7) so we went with a range of ages. 

We went from Vancouver rather than Seattle as it allowed you to go further north, we also did one way and spent time in Alaska afterwards. 

We went in June but wished we had done later in the summer/early fall as that is when the salmon is running and thus more wildlife comes down to catch dinner. 

We were on Norwegian and there was smoking on some decks outside (not the main ones though). 

There are plenty of excursions that do not involve hiking but also lots of easy hikes. That is really a pick your own adventure part. 

We went on Norwegian last year in August out of Seattle on a 7 day with my parents and aunt and uncle.  It was my first time also, but we had a lot of fun.  I would recommend Norwegian to anyone.  The smoking options are going to be limited to a couple spots on the entire ship, I don't think there is any way around that.  We didn't do much hiking either because my mom has knee problems, but there are still lots of options for excursions that she handled just fine.  They are used to dealing with old people, so I wouldn't worry much about that.  The White Pass railroad in Skagway was really cool as was a whale watching tour out of Juneau that we went on. 

• Like 1

I've done it and it was beautiful.  I'm not a fan of cruises but to see that part of the world it is a great choice.

Princess does a nice trip starting in Anchorage and ending in Vancouver....about 7 days.

You can find excursions to meet any desired activity level when in port.

One thing to remember about excursions is that if you book through the ship, they will wait for you if something goes wrong and you don't get back on time.  If you do your own thing and are late, they will leave you and it's up to you go catch back up with the boat at the next port.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:18 AM, squib said:

So my elderly parents have decided they want to do an Alaskan cruise. I have never cruised and know next to nothing about the process. I have googled a bit and the options are all over the place. What I know about them:

• Pops needs a smoking option
  • They won't be interested in excurions that involve hiking, etc.
  • They will likely want to depart out of Seattle. 
  • They would like to go this summer or fall.
  • They aren't broke but not loaded either. 

Anyone been or have any pointers?

This is exactly how we wound up on our first cruise, on Princess.  Mom and Dad wanted to treat the immediate fam.  Then my aunt and uncle joined to celebrate their 60th.  Then my aunt and uncle who lived in Seattle wanted to come along...etc., etc.  Eventually we wound up with something like 35 people ranging in age from late 20s to mid 80s.  We all had a blast.  Two rules:

1.  Everyone met in my Dad and uncles' cabins (there were three in a row with balconies) prior to dinner for drinks and to swap stories of their day.

2.  No baby sitting - In other words, we all planned our own excursions based on interests/abilities.  My wife and I could go on big hikes that her grandad and dad (yeah, they came along as well) couldn't do.  FiL and GFiL went off on their way to drink local beer, or something else less physically taxing, etc.  

If you're doing a smaller group (i.e., just your immediate family) I'd say you trade off on excursions.  That is, perhaps you go do one together at a given local, but then they take an easier one and you do something more active.  

A couple that we did that all ages enjoyed were whale watching in Juneau and high tea at the Impress Hotel in Victoria, BC.  Also the White Pass & Yukon RR is a great, easy going sightseeing trip if it's available.  The wife and I took a helicopter up to a glacier and tromped around.  That was a highlight for us, but is an example of something my parents had no interest in.

I have to admit, I had very low expectations.  I figured it would just be me being bored around a bunch of old people playing shuffleboard and giving each other communicable diseases. But I had a great time.  The best was waking up one morning very early.  I was pretty much the only one awake it seemed, so I went to the cafe got a cup of coffee and sat down by the window.  As I was staring out at the mountains and the sea, I happened to look down and saw a pod of a few whales.  Just me and the whales.  And a gigantic ship.  Not too shabby.

Edited by Chad Fuck

The day we did the whale watching in Juneau was perfect, not a cloud in the sky and the humpbacks came right up to the boat.  That bay, surrounded by snow capped mountains and glaciers in the dazzling sunshine was probably the greatest nature experience of my life.  It really was so stunning that I can't properly describe it.  I have traveled a decent amount and I don't think anything else I've seen comes close to just how beautiful Alaska is.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

My folks and my family went on Celebrity in 2006 or so. I would recommend splurging on a cabin with a balcony, and taking binoculars. This is the one trip you don't want to be stuck inside.

CHIEF

Yeah do this - we did the balcony room and it was worth every penny. It is one of those trips where everything you see is so amazing you can't stop taking pictures or just looking at it. 

Yeah, we had a balcony also and it was great.  The afternoon when we cruised up to Sawyer Glacier, we spent hours outside sitting on it looking at everything.  Also get the drink package when you book if you like to drink at all.  It will save you lots of money.

Edited by kevwun