Texas opens as a 5 favorite v Kansas State

TexasMan

6 hours ago, Atticus said:

TCU is horrible at passing, yet we made Max Duggan look like Aaron Rodgers

this.  we can't stop a P5 QB that has any athletic ability at all.  We get torched on basic zone read plays over and over.  I will be pleasantly surprised if we win this.  

Foster, Sterns, Overshown & McCulloch returning should be a big shot in the arm on defense, & Whittington gives us more options on offense. But, it’s not about the players.  

Special teams need to break even, and we will need to benefit from a turnover or two. 

However, I expect every head coach we face to have an edge on Herman. I hope he proves me wrong soon. 

KSU outleveraged OU's defense on a number of outside runs, plus they had the QB draw working.  I'll be shocked if we have an answer for those things.  I expect them to run for at least 200 yards.  We have put on film that we can be easily outnumbered on the edge, regardless of who is at safety.

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Like 1

Typical Surly game week progression:

Sunday line comes out, Surly questions Vega's sanity...Texas will lose in spectacular fashion.

Friday night Surly- "we will dominate."
Maybe prior to tcu. I'd be shocked if you see that now. This is a team who physically dominated and out schemed ou. We may win, but anyone thinking we'll dominate has seriously not been paying attention.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Richter said:

On D, we just need to get our guys 10 yards behind the LOS and blitz like crazy on crucial 3rd down plays.

On offense, mix it up with conservative low-reward plays and deep routes that we successfully execute less than 10% of the time.

On special teams, let's try to return kickoffs instead of taking the ball at the 25 and on punts we can "catch" it and go backward.

So basically same as it ever was.

• Like 2

Sterns and Jones will be back at the safety positions.  Assuming we give up half as many deep balls based on that fact, we will cover.

If Jones is playing safety then the nickel is *insert massive liability here*. If Jones is at nickel we get more Estelle or freshman.

And of course, regardless of where Jones lines up, the defense is coached by Todd Orlando.

Big plays will not be prevented.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm seeing the line at -7 now.  I will say that many of us in Cat land are concerned about this game if we can't establish the run (which will be light years harder against Texas than the tomato cans we played in Lawrence).  Skylar tends to be a one-look passer. 

I'm new to this site and looking forward to reading all the comments this week.  Was a lurking member of the Shag back in the day. 

• Like 5

On 11/4/2019 at 10:20 AM, Richter said:

On D, we just need to get our guys 10 yards behind the LOS and blitz like crazy on crucial 3rd down plays.

On offense, mix it up with conservative low-reward plays and deep routes that we successfully execute less than 10% of the time.

On special teams, let's try to return kickoffs instead of taking the ball at the 25 and on punts we can "catch" it and go backward.

So Texas coaches do actually lurk / post here.  I thought that was just a rumor.

12 minutes ago, EMAWerican Beauty said:

I'm seeing the line at -7 now.  I will say that many of us in Cat land are concerned about this game if we can't establish the run (which will be light years harder against Texas than the tomato cans we played in Lawrence).  Skylar tends to be a one-look passer. 

I'm new to this site and looking forward to reading all the comments this week.  Was a lurking member of the Shag back in the day. 

Welcome aboard, and congrats in advance on your weekend.  Whatever you are used to on offense, add 50%

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Just pass the ball. You could literally pick any QB on your roster and have them pass every down. It's actually better if you lose yards on 1st or 2nd down so it's 3rd and long

It's not really our thing.  We are a run first team.  Our top two RBs have been out for a couple weeks now and our WRs, while they have good hands, aren't overly fast and have trouble creating separation against fast secondaries.  Our top CB is out so we will need to take the air out of the ball if we have any chance to win.  

K-State is fundamentally sound, and the only difference between Snyder and Klieman is that Klieman will actually recruit.  So, many things will look the same.  I would look for a low scoring game hopefully.  If K-State can't keep Texas on the sidelines though, this might get ugly. 

It's not really our thing.  We are a run first team.  Our top two RBs have been out for a couple weeks now and our WRs, while they have good hands, aren't overly fast and have trouble creating separation against fast secondaries.  Our top CB is out so we will need to take the air out of the ball if we have any chance to win.  
K-State is fundamentally sound, and the only difference between Snyder and Klieman is that Klieman will actually recruit.  So, many things will look the same.  I would look for a low scoring game hopefully.  If K-State can't keep Texas on the sidelines though, this might get ugly. 

You don't understand. It doesn't need to be your thing. TCU can't move the ball through the air either, doesn't matter. That KU offense y'all just held to 3 points anf like 75 passing yards scored 50. You haven't played a defense this bad since Bowling Green.

As long as you don't stubbornly try to run inside on the tight front DL, you'll move the ball, control the clock, and score enough to make the Texas offense be perfect. Which they aren't, even before adjusting for the fact that they run roughly four to six plays for an entire game.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:10 AM, ClubWhatever said:

KSU outleveraged OU's defense on a number of outside runs, plus they had the QB draw working.  I'll be shocked if we have an answer for those things.  I expect them to run for at least 200 yards.  We have put on film that we can be easily outnumbered on the edge

ClubWhatever, what's an "edge?" I've only watched Longhorn football and I am unfamiliar with the term.

On campus right now between the stadium and Bass Concert Hall.  Tailgates are being setup, Tonight Show load-in is occurring, great energy all around with a Top 25 team coming to town later this week.

And then there's Todd Orlando walking down the street, just waiting to suck.  

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You don't understand. It doesn't need to be your thing. TCU can't move the ball through the air either, doesn't matter. That KU offense y'all just held to 3 points anf like 75 passing yards scored 50. You haven't played a defense this bad since Bowling Green.

As long as you don't stubbornly try to run inside on the tight front DL, you'll move the ball, control the clock, and score enough to make the Texas offense be perfect. Which they aren't, even before adjusting for the fact that they run roughly four to six plays for an entire game.

Well this will cheer you up.  From one of our best dude on the Tweeters 

Texas vs K-State Week

KSt press conference.   Nothing remarkable,  Texas talk begins at 13:12.    Kleiman is not Mensa,  but he is a cool dude.

Kleiman brought his OC, OL, WR, and Safety coach from NDSU.   DC is from Wyoming.   Texas Ex Van Malone coaches cornerbacks.    Former KSt QB Collin Klein coaches qb's.

https://www.kstatesports.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

1 hour ago, horngasm2020 said:

I just watched the OU KSU game. They shredded OU's defense and will do the same to us. Also Riley was outcoached, so what are the odds mensa won't be?

Also... a couple minutes into the 4th quarter KSU was up 25 points... TWENTY-FIVE on OU.  I just can't wrap my head around that at Texas -7...

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Really odd it's moved to 7.  What is their injury situation?  I've heard 1 DB out and if that's all then I don't get it.

We are missing our best DB, top two RBs are questionable and we are banged up at a few other positions.  Our best receiver is healthy again, which is good.  

Losing AJ Parker in the secondary is really bad though.  He is a blanket. 

On 11/4/2019 at 8:31 AM, Mossyhorn said:

Foster, Sterns, Overshown & McCulloch returning should be a big shot in the arm on defense, & Whittington gives us more options on offense. But, it’s not about the players.  

Special teams need to break even, and we will need to benefit from a turnover or two. 

However, I expect every head coach we face to have an edge on Herman. I hope he proves me wrong soon. 

DJ Durkin or whatever pantsed his ass and then Matt Canada did the same with 2 Maryland teams that ended the year under .500.  maryland TWICE.  he isn't proving you wrong anytime soon.   unless Sam is superhuman we are toast against KSU as they have an actual head coach.