Texas opens as a 5 favorite v Kansas State

TexasMan

1 hour ago, EMAWerican Beauty said:

We are missing our best DB, top two RBs are questionable and we are banged up at a few other positions.  Our best receiver is healthy again, which is good.  

Losing AJ Parker in the secondary is really bad though.  He is a blanket. 

we have one receiver that can get separation against good DB's. The others can't get separation against bad DB's.  KSU should win this.  I don't expect a blowout because Herman has avoided those(soundly beaten yes but not a scoreboard blowout).  It has a small possibility of becoming a blowout and if it does...look out.

34 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we have one receiver that can get separation against good DB's. The others can't get separation against bad DB's.  KSU should win this.  I don't expect a blowout because Herman has avoided those(soundly beaten yes but not a scoreboard blowout).  It has a small possibility of becoming a blowout and if it does...look out.

I don't want to think what this place would look like in that event...

I'm starting to get a feeling that KSU might've peaked and may be a little sore and tired. Could also just be gas from that burrito I ate earlier. 

It's not really our thing.  We are a run first team.  Our top two RBs have been out for a couple weeks now and our WRs, while they have good hands, aren't overly fast and have trouble creating separation against fast secondaries.  Our top CB is out so we will need to take the air out of the ball if we have any chance to win.  
K-State is fundamentally sound, and the only difference between Snyder and Klieman is that Klieman will actually recruit.  So, many things will look the same.  I would look for a low scoring game hopefully.  If K-State can't keep Texas on the sidelines though, this might get ugly. 
Run first? *insert we are laughing gif* Saturday you can expect your team to pass early and often, and your QB to have a career performance. Such a performance that had it happened earlier in the year when Texas was still considered a top 10 team..would land him in the Heisman conversation, even if for one week. Congrats in advance, but it may seem like a letdown after taking down blowU.

34 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I don't want to think what this place would look like in that event...

I'm starting to get a feeling that KSU might've peaked and may be a little sore and tired. Could also just be gas from that burrito I ate earlier. 

Sometimes CFB is weird.  KSU absolutely sucked ass back to back weeks against OSU and Baylor then seemed to have fixed some shit during their bye week.  Maybe we'll do the same.  

• Like 1

I have googled but can't find this statistic but how many 3rd and 10s or more have we given up this year?  I shudder at the thought.
10 min scan of ESPN game summaries before leaving work, so accuracy is approximate:

Texas has given up 10 conversions on 27 3rd and 10+ downs (37 percent), including two penalties. 1.25 per game. 50 teams have better overall third down defense than that mark. Remove LA Tech and Rice and it's 8/19 (42 percent), 1.33 per game.

Two TDs have been allowed (1 to LSU, 1 to OK State). I didn't realize 3rd and 17 was the only 3rd and long LSU faced all night, which adds another layer of pain. Two of those weren't converted but were successful enough to set up 4th down conversions. Another, the one vs OU, set up a 1 yard 4th down attempt that the land thieves somehow failed. And of course, most recently, two were given up on TCU's game wining drive. Five in the past two games.

Also, LSU and OU each only had one third and long, so most of these have come against lesser opponents.

Fire Todd Orlando.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Orlando will give up a shit load of points, but we will score too.  Texas 42/KSU 38.  This is the Kansas game revisited, but Carter Stanley is a better passer than Skylar Thompson.  KSU has no Pooka Williams on the roster, but their defense is better than KU.  We win a nail biter.  I watch the flyover, stay and sing the Eyes of Texas, go home and watch ISU whip OU again.  Should be a great Saturday.  

53 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Orlando will give up a shit load of points, but we will score too.  Texas 42/KSU 38.  This is the Kansas game revisited, but Carter Stanley is a better passer than Skylar Thompson.  KSU has no Pooka Williams on the roster, but their defense is better than KU.  We win a nail biter.  I watch the flyover, stay and sing the Eyes of Texas, go home and watch ISU whip OU again.  Should be a great Saturday.  

Getting a head start on your gameday drinking I see.

• Like 2

Crazy game to bet....  Cats likely have little left in the tank after two emotional wins and really aren't designed to capitalize on the deficiencies of what's left of the UT defense.  

Plus, K-State lockdown corner is out for season with broken foot sustained in 2H of KU game.  If Horns can stop the run game, could be a fairly easy cover for Texas.

Looking forward to a hard fought CTR game. 

12 minutes ago, BookiePimp said:

Crazy game to bet....  Cats likely have little left in the tank after two emotional wins and really aren't designed to capitalize on the deficiencies of what's left of the UT defense.  

Plus, K-State lockdown corner is out for season with broken foot sustained in 2H of KU game.  If Horns can stop the run game, could be a fairly easy cover for Texas.

Very good summary.  Pooka is no where in sight

Big factor I think a lot of fans rarely factor in is that these are 19-22 year old kids. K St has been getting high fives all week by faculty, students and social media. 

UT players have been hearing about how terrible they are for 2 weeks. 

These kids are talented. They are focused. These same players went toe to toe with LSU. That what happens with a focused and motivated team. 

I’m going to predict UT comes in hungry and wins this game by double digits. You can thank me later  

1 hour ago, BookiePimp said:

KU was not an enotional game for them. It is barely a rivalry at this point and the game was noncompetitive. TCU was not at all "designed to capitalize" on the deficiciencies of the Texas defense but still did so because Texas was so unsound. KSU is better than TCU offensively and is perfectly capable of exploiting the many weaknesses the Texas defense has shown if they prove unable to play and coach sound football for four quarters like they did at TCU.

9 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Big factor I think a lot of fans rarely factor in is that these are 19-22 year old kids. K St has been getting high fives all week by faculty, students and social media. 

These kids are talented. They are focused. These same players went toe to toe with LSU. That what happens with a focused and motivated team. 

I’m going to predict UT comes in hungry and wins this game by double digits. You can thank me later  

UT players, the ones who went toe to toe with LSU, were hearing about how much better OU was, and about how terrible they were before KU and TCU. How'd that work out? 

Look, obviously no one knows what's going to happen on Saturday. Texas has showed a wide range in level of play throughout the year. Who knows what we'll see out of them? Off a bye, at home with a decided athletic advantage, and getting some key players back, they are indeed capable of winning this game going away. That said, doing so would require one of, if not the best performance of the year and adjustments the coaching staff has thus far been explicitly unwilling to make. It's entirely possible the Texas coaching staff would prefer to lose in an attempt to vindicate themselves as opposed to changing their approach in order to win, which is what we've seen from them so far this year, leading to an embarrassment.

Maybe Texas does come out, play well, and win the game. But the bullshit some of us feed ourselves and spout to others is something else.

29 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Think we cover, Joey?

anytime a spread doesn’t make sense to me, I assume it’s right. I also think we win by double digits.

Texas normally comes off a bye week the same way they come off of a halftime rest.  Flat shitty and confused AF.  If Sam isn’t injured then TH has photos of him banging someone not his GF because he doesn’t have that never say die follow me gents attitude this year.  If we come into the game 3 and out and punt to start the game it should make for an interesting time 

48 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Username definitely checks out

22 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Think we cover, Joey?

anytime a spread doesn’t make sense to me, I assume it’s right. I also think we win by double digits.

Yes. and it’s up from 5.5 to 7 so I’m not the only one. Sometimes you must remove yourself from the doom and gloom of this message board to see that. 

7 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

We'll win this game and look pretty good doing it. Fans will get excited and start talking Big 12 Championship Game again. 

Then we'll go to Ames and look like a monkey fucking a football. 

I've seen this movie. 

Just curious.  I've never seen a monkey fucking a football.  Is that a bad thing, or is it a thing of passion and beauty through which we can see the greater meaning of football?

• Like 3

On 11/5/2019 at 3:05 PM, torre said:

KSt press conference.   Nothing remarkable,  Texas talk begins at 13:12.    Kleiman is not Mensa,  but he is a cool dude.

Kleiman brought his OC, OL, WR, and Safety coach from NDSU.   DC is from Wyoming.   Texas Ex Van Malone coaches cornerbacks.    Former KSt QB Collin Klein coaches qb's.

https://www.kstatesports.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

What , no water bottle? 

Answering questions without insecurity?

Exceeding expectations and getting better week on week?

Knowing who they are playing 2 and 3 weeks away?

What  kinda shit and is this?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Jesus Christ. You serious, clark? 

Literally nothing indicates Texas wins this game (except for Vegas) nor does ISU beat OU. 

Edited by Blanton

12 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

(Sam) doesn’t have that never say die follow me gents attitude this year. 

I don't know what it is but I agree with this.  He has had chances to scramble for 1st downs this year and has chosen not to.  I don't know if they are trying to get away from the QB rushing leader mantra that was being used to recruit against us, or if he is injured or trying to avoid injury but something is definitely different.  Once we fall behind you kind of see the spark but it has been too late with the exception of KU.

We can't seem to get out to a commanding lead to save our lives.  This is a huge indicator of where this team is compared to ou and the like.  All aspects of our game have a long way to go to be dominate.  We should be a lot closer than we are at this point under Herman.  Unlike others, I am not giving up on Herman but I getting skeptical that he is the guy.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, joeycovers said:

This, of course, assumes that K-State comes in disinterested and truly spent emotionally from the past two games vs 0U and ku...  

I tend to agree that Texas will play inspired (hungry as you put it) football and *could* cover this number if K-State fails to match their intensity.   With that said, Texas is still a MUCH bigger pelt to hang on the wall for K-State than KSU is for Texas.  I don't believe that K-State will roll over for Texas.

12 hours ago, joeycovers said:

Yes. and it’s up from 5.5 to 7 so I’m not the only one. Sometimes you must remove yourself from the doom and gloom of this message board to see that. 

I'm not saying KSU wins or covers, however this may more likely be a case of the sharps and Vegas not fully catching up with what's going on in Manhattan yet. 

Since the second bye week,  KState has covered by 11.5 (TCU), 30.5 (0U) and 19.5 (ku).   

"Math" says this line should be anywhere from Sagarin's EIGENVECTOR showing K-State as a 2 point favorite to Massey's model showing UT -3.  A couple of math geniuses that I'm personally friends with (One a UT guy and one a K-State alum) both have mathematical algorithms showing K-State should be about a 2 point favorite.

I will leave you with this...  Betting is "wagering on probability", while gambling is "wagering on possibility".   I'm not gonna play this game because I feel K-State *might* have trouble matching Texas' intensity on Saturday IF (a BIG IF) Texas truly gets up to play this like K-State is LSU or Georgia....  That is really what the bet is about if you want to lay money on Texas.  Do you trust them to play on Saturday like they did in the Sugar Bowl or vs LSU a couple months ago. 

K-State will bring it on Saturday, but how much gas is left in the tank at this point?   GL to everyone. 

• Like 2

Just now, BookiePimp said:

This, of course, assumes that K-State comes in disinterested and truly spent emotionally from the past two games vs 0U and ku...  

I tend to agree that Texas will play inspired (hungry as you put it) football and *could* cover this number if K-State fails to match their intensity.   With that said, Texas is still a MUCH bigger pelt to hang on the wall for K-State than KSU is for Texas.  I don't believe that K-State will roll over for Texas.

I'm not saying KSU wins or covers, however this may more likely be a case of the sharps and Vegas not fully catching up with what's going on in Manhattan yet. 

Since the second bye week,  KState has covered by 11.5 (TCU), 30.5 (0U) and 19.5 (ku).   

"Math" says this line should be anywhere from Sagarin's EIGENVECTOR showing K-State as a 2 point favorite to Massey's model showing UT -3.  A couple of math geniuses that I'm personally friends with (One a UT guy and one a K-State alum) both have mathematical algorithms showing K-State should be about a 2 point favorite.

I will leave you with this...  Betting is "wagering on probability", while gambling is "wagering on possibility".   I'm not gonna play this game because I feel K-State *might* have trouble matching Texas' intensity on Saturday IF (a BIG IF) Texas truly gets up to play this like K-State is LSU or Georgia....  That is really what the bet is about if you want to lay money on Texas.  Do you trust them to play on Saturday like they did in the Sugar Bowl or vs LSU a couple months ago. 

K-State will bring it on Saturday, but how much gas is left in the tank at this point?   GL to everyone. 

which games are you playing?

Part of the problem is Herman and the way he runs the offense. He’s not trying to skull fuck anyone. He just wants to eek out a win. I think this season and during the Big12 Championship game last year, he wanted to protect the defense.

I want to hear the lamentations of their women.

14 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Does their QB have an arm?

Skylar is a very good passer and can make good throws on crossing routes, seam patterns and out routes which aren’t easy throws.  He is also a good runner and deceptively fast (i don’t mean that to say he’s “white” which he is, but he just runs faster than it looks).  If Skylar had a couple problems it’s 1) he is terrible at going through progressions and 2) he sees ghosts and will regularly abandon a clean pocket.  If there is a comparator for him I would say Alex Smith.  He can win games, make good throws inside 20 yards and kill you with his legs, but he isn’t bringing us back from 20 points down and he isn’t consistently (read: ever) hitting his third receiving option.

If we had faster WRs that could get separation, I would love to see him go downfield. He has the arm strength.  But with our current crop of receivers other than Malik Knowles, the CB would be sitting there having coffee waiting for the pass. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EMAWerican Beauty said:

Skylar is a very good passer and can make good throws on crossing routes, seam patterns and out routes which aren’t easy throws.  He is also a good runner and deceptively fast (i don’t mean that to say he’s “white” which he is, but he just runs faster than it looks).  If Skylar had a couple problems it’s 1) he is terrible at going through progressions and 2) he sees ghosts and will regularly abandon a clean pocket.  If there is a comparator for him I would say Alex Smith.  He can win games, make good throws inside 20 yards and kill you with his legs, but he isn’t bringing us back from 20 points down and he isn’t consistently (read: ever) hitting his third receiving option.

If we had faster WRs that could get separation, I would love to see him go downfield. He has the arm strength.  But with our current crop of receivers other than Malik Knowles, the CB would be sitting there having coffee waiting for the pass. 

sorry i was just asking if he has an arm. if your thumbnail image is correct, it appears he has not 1, but 2 arms.

god help us. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EMAWerican Beauty said:

KSTATE.jpg

• Haha 1

Texas doesn’t have a pass rush, so your qb will be back there having coffee waiting on someone to get open.

1 hour ago, EMAWerican Beauty said:

Comparing Skylar Thompson to the #1 overall draft pick is pretty high praise. 

2 hours ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Post it over on the gambling board when your done. Some of us need some winners.

You got it brother... will do.  Trying to decide on a last minute road trip to the ATX from Celina, TX.

Lemme know if any of you freaks are hosting a tailgate.  

• Like 1