Florida State fires Willie Taggart

texifornia

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Taggart cleaned up on that one... he wasn't going to turn around that heap anytime soon. Might as well take a long vacation and go consult with Saban or something.

I doubt he would take an assistant position but I’d live to see him on the Texas staff.  He has the reputation as a good recruiter. 

5 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

In case you were feeling bad for him:

Also, he's a piece of shit for convincing those USF recruits to follow him to Oregon, only to bounce on them 1 year later and stranding them there. 

Is he really a piece of shit for this?  I’d rather be on Oregon’s team than FSU.  Seems like those recruits got the better end of the stick

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

In case you were feeling bad for him:

Also, he's a piece of shit for convincing those USF recruits to follow him to Oregon, only to bounce on them 1 year later and stranding them there. 

Now USF can take him back and pull another Charlie type contract deal.

Edited by Goodman

5 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Better that than to pay for an albatross of a contract. Can you imagine if your school was paying a guy $75m guaranteed over 10 years and hadn't sniffed even as much as a division championship?

Thats stupid. it’s almost like you’d have no choice but to sit back and watch...

• Haha 1

He used up his first Power 5 opportunity and shot his wad with the staff he brought with him to Oregon.  That was an excellent staff.  The guys he brought to Fla St are 3rd and 4th tier guys. Regardless it's always bad karma to leave a school after only one year on the job.  Bad decision coach.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He used up his first Power 5 opportunity and shot his wad with the staff he brought with him to Oregon.  That was an excellent staff.  The guys he brought to Fla St are 3rd and 4th tier guys. Regardless it's always bad karma to leave a school after only one year on the job.  Bad decision coach.  

It was a strange hire by UO from the start.  The Pac NW wanted a man who's entire career was in FL?  I cannot imagine Phil Knight thought it would last as long as Belloti and CKelly.

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'll cut him a bit of slack on taking the job, it was his actual dream job, the sort of chance that very rarely comes up. The rest of it... yeah, woof.

The difference between proven elite coaches and second tier coaches is huge.  The difference between 2nd tier and everyone else is in the noise.  Unless you are hiring a Saban or Meyer, big buyouts are unnecessary and stupid.  99% of coaches are easily replaceable with as good or better.  Their agents should be told if he wants the job there will be no fully guaranteed contract, and when they walk then you go to the next guy.  

• Like 3