NH Couple Killed on Padre Island PINS

crash_davis

This may be of interest as there a few on here who like to camp in PINS. Drugs? Random target? 

This has to put people who camp there on edge. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10268277/new-hampshire-couple-dead-texas-beach-cctv/

But on October 27, police made the horrifying discovery of human remains at a beach on the island.

Days earlier between October 20 and 21, disturbing CCTV footage showed an unknown person driving the couple's truck and RV trailer over the nearby Mexico border.

REMAINS CONFIRMED

On Saturday, cops confirmed the bodies found buried on the beach-side camp site belonged to the missing Butlers.

This has drug mules/deal gone bad written all over it.  The couple was driving around the country.  The travel trailer and truck crossed the border without them in it.    Sure, they could be victims of a random drug dealer stealing their shit but something smells here.  And its not tasty buds.

Edited by Macanudo

3 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Technically, was not on PINS. Was South of Bob Hall Pier, right at the County line, in an area that gets very little Police presence. I'll be camping at PINS in a few weeks, have no second thoughts.

Fairwell and adieu you fine Spanish ladies... farewell and adieu you ladies of Spain....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Technically, was not on PINS. Was South of Bob Hall Pier, right at the County line, in an area that gets very little Police presence. I'll be camping at PINS in a few weeks, have no second thoughts.

Yeah PINS  is pretty safe.  Though this past spring our group camping at the Mansfield jetties got a first-hand view of a group of 5 or so illegals getting smuggled out right at dark one night.  They crossed the channel in innertubes, ran right past/through our camp and hopped into an SUV on the PINS side.  The park ranger we talked to later said they have cameras and other equipment at the entrance/exit and use them to keep track of how many occupants are in each vehicle coming in and out.   Down where this happened there isn't shit as far as surveillance except the surf cam.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

55 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Thanks for the correction. I read South Padre so I assume PINS.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

You are a least the 5th person to talk to me about this story, because folks know how often I go, thinking the same thing. If I were the parks service, I'd be emailing every publication to make sure and make the distinction, as I imagine this will be bad for visitors numbers.

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Last night, Channel 24 Austin was reporting it as South Padre.  I had earlier heard outside of CC.  Big difference in locations.

Edit:  Looking at CC Caller Times, caller.com, who should know their local geography, it was in Kleberg County, which is no where near South Padre.

Edited by abuelo gringo

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

This has drug mules/deal gone bad written all over it.  The couple was driving around the country.  The travel trailer and truck crossed the border without them in it.    Sure, they could be victims of a random drug dealer stealing their shit but something smells here.  And its not tasty buds.

There is a whole industry focused on people who retire and travel around the country.  YouTube is full of this shit.  Hell, there are a lot of younger folks who decided to do the "van life" thing, where they live out of their vehicles/RVs, travel around taking on odd jobs (or making money off of YouTube videos showing other would-be car campers how to do it). It's extremely popular.

If you see a sprinter van with windows that are extra dark/blocked, with one or two fans, solar panels, etc. on top, yeah somebody is living in it.

What happened, who knows, but if something goes bad, such as a robbery/assault, and If you quickly hid the bodies and could get the truck and trailer across the border, you've gotten rid of a lot of the evidence that would point back to you.

Did they extend the road that far from South Padre or did they enter near Corpus and drive South? Or maybe they were abducted at either north or south Padre then taken there to be executed? 

I doubt they were drug runners or into anything like that. It's a possibility but so remote as I don't see how likely it is some random NH people traveling the country in an RV would have the underworld connections to be doing that. Seems like they ventured into an area away from the population where they were exposed and picked off as easy prey to take their shit back to Mexico and sell off. 

29 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Did they ever solve the case of the dude from Westlake that disappeared (or maybe found dead) in Port A several years ago?  

13 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Nope.  Unsolved mystery.  

unsolved-mysteries-theme.jpg

• Like 1

that's pretty chilling. the thought of random crime is always a bit unnerving. i think we all want he people who end up dead to be somehow compromised (drugs, etc), instead of randomly targeted and victimized.

this has "random" written all over it, and the thought of that makes me slightly uncomfortable.

that's pretty chilling. the thought of random crime is always a bit unnerving. i think we all want he people who end up dead to be somehow compromised (drugs, etc), instead of randomly targeted and victimized.
this has "random" written all over it, and the thought of that makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Truly random violent crime is extremely rare. And these days when it does happen, it's more likely to be a DUI/hit and run or a mass shooting event than some rando deciding he wants to kill two other randos on the beach.

Sure, it's possible, and we may never know the story behind this particilar case, but it absolutely should not make anyone think twice about going to the beach. You're exponentially more likely to die on the drive down to the coast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Truly random violent crime is extremely rare. And these days when it does happen, it's more likely to be a DUI/hit and run or a mass shooting event than some rando deciding he wants to kill two other randos on the beach.

Sure, it's possible, and we may never know the story behind this particilar case, but it absolutely should not make anyone think twice about going to the beach. You're exponentially more likely to die on the drive down to the coast.

Depends on where you live. In New Orleans it is pretty common. I have a friend from Galveston who use to live there and went back on a visit with his fiance. They were somewhere around Napolean and Magazine, I think going to Commander's Palace. Anyway, a couple of guys pistol whipped him and her and went through a bunch of "Fuck you bitch, I'm going to kill you stuff". They spent the night in the hospital. The police told them that they were extremely lucky and that it is much easier for the robbers to kill you so there aren't any witnesses.

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

oh, no, it won't stop me from taking the family down to the coast or anything like that. 

i'm just sort of remarking on human nature in general. random crime fascinates us because it makes us uneasy, i reckon. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

There is a whole industry focused on people who retire and travel around the country.  YouTube is full of this shit.  Hell, there are a lot of younger folks who decided to do the "van life" thing, where they live out of their vehicles/RVs, travel around taking on odd jobs (or making money off of YouTube videos showing other would-be car campers how to do it). It's extremely popular.

If you see a sprinter van with windows that are extra dark/blocked, with one or two fans, solar panels, etc. on top, yeah somebody is living in it.

What happened, who knows, but if something goes bad, such as a robbery/assault, and If you quickly hid the bodies and could get the truck and trailer across the border, you've gotten rid of a lot of the evidence that would point back to you.

I am hoping/planning to do this for a year or so after I retire. The whole idea of living out of a van and the freedom it entails to see the US and Canada actually sounds pretty cool. Wouldn't want to live the rest of my life doing it but for a year or so, I'm game. 

There was another younger couple doing the same thing in Canada who was recently killed. I think they caught the killer. Doubtful they'll ever catch the killer(s) of this tragedy.

Depends on where you live. In New Orleans it is pretty common. I have a friend from Galveston who use to live there and went back on a visit with his fiance. They were somewhere around Napolean and Magazine, I think going to Commander's Palace. Anyway, a couple of guys pistol whipped him and her and went through a bunch of "Fuck you bitch, I'm going to kill you stuff". They spent the night in the hospital. The police told them that they were extremely lucky and that it is much easier for the robbers to kill you so there aren't any witnesses.

Not to minimize your friend's experience, but the very fact that the story is jarring and sticks out in your mind is because it doesn't happen that much. "I had a friend one time..." does not equate to making something pretty common.

New Orleans has one of the highest crime rates in the nation, for a number of reasons. The tourist traffic of mostly well off out of towners and socioeconomic inequality that New Orleans has makes it a breeding ground. Even so, the violent crime rate in New Orleans equates to roughly a one percent annual chance of being victimized.

One percent at the very high end of the national spectrum, without adjusting for the fact that the solid majority of murders and assaults occur between people who know each other other.

Again, not to downplay your friend's experience. It's a traumatic event and it sucks that it happened to them. However, violent crime in general is rare, for the victims to be complete strangers is even more rare.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Not to minimize your friend's experience, but the very fact that the story is jarring and sticks out in your mind is because it doesn't happen that much. "I had a friend one time..." does not equate to making something pretty common.

New Orleans has one of the highest crime rates in the nation, for a number of reasons. The tourist traffic of mostly well off out of towners and socioeconomic inequality that New Orleans has makes it a breeding ground. Even so, the violent crime rate in New Orleans equates to roughly a one percent annual chance of being victimized.

One percent at the very high end of the national spectrum, without adjusting for the fact that the solid majority of murders and assaults occur between people who know each other other.

Again, not to downplay your friend's experience. It's a traumatic event and it sucks that it happened to them. However, violent crime in general is rare, for the victims to be complete strangers is even more rare.

Generally, I would agree with you, but New Orleans is a different animal. I was there for 2 years and had numerous minor incidents like ice picking the tire sidewalls, breaking the trunk lock, hammering of my car roof, etc. I stopped a person who was following a female jogger who I would assume would have been raped if I didn't intervene, the first day on the job Tulane's head of student recruitment was held up by a guy on a bicycle with an assault rifle. Most Tulane students I know had similar issues with a few getting assaulted or killed. I've never lived in the hood where that kind of stuff may be more common, but practically everyone I knew in New Orleans had some sort of run in. I have a good friend whose son goes to Tulane now, if you are interested I can see if he had similar problems to the ones we encountered.

• Like 2

I was robbed at gunpoint in NO. Was there for a wedding (bride was from an old school NO family). Me and two friends were walking back to our hotel drunk when two guys robbed us. This was a few years after Katrina.

They actually caught at least one of the guys, he pled guilty and is spending quite a few years in jail. Or was anyway.

6 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I was robbed at gunpoint in NO. Was there for a wedding (bride was from an old school NO family). Me and two friends were walking back to our hotel drunk when two guys robbed us. This was a few years after Katrina.

They actually caught at least one of the guys, he pled guilty and is spending quite a few years in jail. Or was anyway.

Heading to New Orleans this weekend, so this pistol whips close to home.

• Like 1

Just now, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep.   They should easily be identifiable over there.   So should  the truck as the preferred truck of the masses in Mexico is the F-150.

But me thinks there is more to the story than just a random robbery and dash to south of the border.

I would think that the authorities would have footage on every car entering and leaving Mexico. It would not be hard to identify the killers if they have video of them crossing the border.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I would think that the authorities would have footage on every car entering and leaving Mexico. It would not be hard to identify the killers if they have video of them crossing the border.

Pretty sure that's where the picture in the article came from.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

/I would think that the authorities would have footage on every car entering and leaving Mexico. It would not be hard to identify the killers if they have video of them crossing the border.

The pic I think that is being distributed is from one of those cameras.  In fact they have them going southbound next to the checkpoints on US 77 and US 281.  Been like that since sometime after 9/11.

18 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Pretty sure that's where the picture in the article came from.

If true, then that article downplayed the significance of "persons of interest". "At this point we just don't have enough evidence to show that they are even our suspects in the murder," Hubert said. "At this point they're just people we want to identify and talk to."

30 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If true, then that article downplayed the significance of "persons of interest". "At this point we just don't have enough evidence to show that they are even our suspects in the murder," Hubert said. "At this point they're just people we want to identify and talk to."

It's like you've never seen this happen before:

Please, come in.  Sit right down.  We just want to talk with you.  

[whispers offstage:  Get the handcuffs, Lou.]