11.4.19 Coach Herman press conference Noon

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Ohhhh.. A "deep dive" huh?  Did they also "circle back" and discuss "collaborate synergies" while examining "best practices"?  Not going to "boil the ocean"....just focus on "core competencies".....Next presser he'll have a PowerPoint.

Sounds like someone’s been going to StDavids/HCA admin meetings....please don’t forget to “ move the needle” and get “people centered”.

Who doesn't wait until the 10th week of the season to start on This?
This was my thought.

Maybe next season, try to ask the question preseason what you can do really well with the players you have over the next 12 games.

That seems like a decent time to evaluate such a question, rather than waiting until after you've pissed away half the season doing things you can't do very well.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Condensing the playbook?  We only run 5 fucking plays 2 slow developing runs for zero gain. A short bubble screen and a 50 yard underthrown Hail Mary.  Good god if he simplifying it even more we’re super fucked

Feels like we keep running the plays that fail repeatedly over and over again and we take creative plays that actually work (like the first play against LSU with misdirection and throw back across the field, Duvernay taking a handoff or throwback to  Cosmi) and throw them out, never seeing them again for the rest of the season. 

don't take much from PC's but Herman is in big trouble, not that it is more trouble than he was in when he lost to Maryland and barely squeaking by Kansas last year. Its just more apparent after almost losing to Kansas and getting rolled by fat pat and his QB that no one knows.

the trainwreck should be pretty spectacular when you have a guy that is always the smartest guy in the room no matter where he is.  this PC was only the beginning of the train coming off the tracks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jinx said:

I'm not sure why he is determined to stick to these bullshit answers about not knowing our schedule.  It doesn't impress anybody, and it just is more evidence that he truly is in over his head if it is true.

His little 1-0 mentality would be a whole lot cuter if he could actually accomplish it

Same thing when he came in and said he never watched a game from the year before....then was surprised when our guys fucked up left and right against Maryland. Well coach, if you would’ve watched the tape from the year before, you might have been able to see what bullshit your players were capable of when the lights came on. Of course, that didn’t help against Maryland the next year, so who knows. 

2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Ohhhh.. A "deep dive" huh?  Did they also "circle back" and discuss "collaborate synergies" while examining "best practices"?  Not going to "boil the ocean"....just focus on "core competencies".....Next presser he'll have a PowerPoint.

Press conferences with coaches only get the same coach speak on repeat. He's not saving any of his real thoughts for Kirk Bowels and Fuck Chip Brown 

3 hours ago, ousux said:

Because Texas PC's will only be watched by alumni, supporters and fans. Whatever is said won't be available to the general public..

I'm guessing

Lol. Our opponents are literally chopping sound bites of things Herman says at his press conferences out of context to use as motivation for their players against us. 

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

This was my thought.

Maybe next season, try to ask the question preseason what you can do really well with the players you have over the next 12 games.

That seems like a decent time to evaluate such a question, rather than waiting until after you've pissed away half the season doing things you can't do very well.

But, who did Herman first learn from? Mack and GD who waited until after the OU game to figure out the team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I guess that's as close as we're gonna get to "Did you fire that overpaid hack of a DC you brought yet?  You do understand that you can't put personal friendships above the program at Texas, right?  And that every day he still has an office in Bellmont makes you look like a total dipshit, right?  Right, Thomas?"

If someone would have asked that he would still be standing there shaking his head,  pausing before he answers like he really,  really  had something intelligent to say about it.  

Don’t really expect new revelations or insights with these PCs. 

How the HC responds and carries himself is useful. It also wouldn’t hurt his relationship with the fan base to acknowledge their frustration and show some superficial accountability and humility , but that too much to ask from pathologically insecure individuals, even highly compensated ones. We have what we have.

Everyone is imperfect, some people grow through adversity , some not.

It’s easier to adjust to success , at least initially.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UTEX90 said:

I'm not saying this is a right or wrong decision but in this day and age the kicker is probably expecting the timeout.  Almost more of a pressure situation to make them kick it the first time.

I think moreso is situational awareness.  When a half is running down in an already chaotic way, and the kicking team is stressing over the play clock running down, don't ice them and give them extra time to set up. 

10 hours ago, jinx said:

I'm not sure why he is determined to stick to these bullshit answers about not knowing our schedule.  It doesn't impress anybody, and it just is more evidence that he truly is in over his head if it is true.

His little 1-0 mentality would be a whole lot cuter if he could actually accomplish it

And the way he said it, "you guys think this is some kind of joke, you should know me after 3 years of this.  I had to ask who we play, I don't know who we play next week."

Ya, either way that's fucked.  Being so narrowly focused on a thing to the exclusion of smaller things like who we play an given week, that's not good for the guy in charge.  The guy who should be monitoring all aspects of the program to determine who is performing, who is not, what is working, and what is not.  

Or he's just an immature child.   This isn't going to end well, is it?

9 hours ago, dcar00 said:

don't take much from PC's but Herman is in big trouble, not that it is more trouble than he was in when he lost to Maryland and barely squeaking by Kansas last year. Its just more apparent after almost losing to Kansas and getting rolled by fat pat and his QB that no one knows.

the trainwreck should be pretty spectacular when you have a guy that is always the smartest guy in the room no matter where he is.  this PC was only the beginning of the train coming off the tracks.

Man I hope you're wrong.

4 hours ago, Treefidy said:

And the way he said it, "you guys think this is some kind of joke, you should know me after 3 years of this.  I had to ask who we play, I don't know who we play next week."

Ya, either way that's fucked.  Being so narrowly focused on a thing to the exclusion of smaller things like who we play an given week, that's not good for the guy in charge.  The guy who should be monitoring all aspects of the program to determine who is performing, who is not, what is working, and what is not.  

Or he's just an immature child.   This isn't going to end well, is it?

Herman seems to be sticking to his mantra (goto answer) of "1-0 for this week" and "not knowing the schedule past this Saturday" as the message he wants his players to hear -- "Stay focused on this week's opponent....period".  this

But there were much better ways to handle the "what to expect from the next 4 games" question (from Brian Davis) than how Herman answered it.   I've had training on public speaking for Q&A sessions, and it's obvious that Herman needs help in this area.  He makes these press conferences a lot more difficult than they should be, and his attempts at humor often fail miserably and just add to the criticism of his arrogance.  In the offseason, CDC should put the whole Damn coaching staff through some better communication and public speaking training.

At times Herman shares way too much info about the players, the coaches, and the team at these press conferences.  He needs to learn to condense his answers and sometimes have a new message that carries through to the Team instead of always "1-0".  Saying the same bullshit stuff every week like:

• "1-0 this week"
  • "practice went really well this week"  
  • "I really liked our energy "

That is a wasted message -- nobody believes that shit anymore.  I'm sure the players are tuning the coaches out  if the Coaches are not finding new ways to get their messages across.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Practice "went really well"  with "a lot of energy" for the last 4 or 5 weeks.  We see where that has gotten us.  I think that the players are tuning out the coaches (ahem Eagles) but it isn't because of the way the message is relayed.  It is the message.

The fact that he acknowledged the rift in the locker room between classes tells me all I need to know.  Too bad he wasted the BYE week, he should have made some obvious changes.  I expect more of the same and 8-4 as the very best possible outcome, but I will be glad to be wrong.

• Like 1