The death of the mainstream

Goredho

13 minutes ago, F250 said:

Disagree. Anyone with a decent education should be able to read Reason, National Review, The Intercept or Jacobin and identify the political bias while also appreciating the content in the article, regardless of their political stance.

If you think the non-political mainstream news outlets are extremely biased and purveyors of fake news than that just demonstrates you are not well read and your opinion should be dismissed, regardless of your political position.

I was giving the benefit of the doubt.

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

If you are here:

|.......................X|

And see this:

|............X...........|

It appears far to the left, but only from your vantage point.

haha.

This is EXACTLY why the self-proclaimed 'centrists' didn't share their plots on the graphs related to the political persuasion thread.

Fucking weird, eh?

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

haha.

This is EXACTLY why the self-proclaimed 'centrists' didn't share their plots on the graphs related to the political persuasion thread.

Fucking weird, eh? buncha folks on here say they are 'middle of the road."  They ain't.

52 minutes ago, F250 said:

Disagree, Bush operated from the middle, the truth is the middle can be an ugly place.

This. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

That’s ridiculous and completely wrong.

Bullshit. There are dozens and dozens of posts on this sub forum saying, “if you are a republican, you are a price of shit” “the reason the country is failing” “as bad as trump” etc etc.  That post summed up hundreds of posts on this very site. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. He was a pretty affable, center right guy. Hell, his approach on immigration as POTUS was grade A stuff, made sense, would have helped the issue a good bit...and was opposed by extremists on both ends.

The way he was as governor, soft-pedaling the social conservative agenda, and other extremism, probably extended my GOPness for another several years.  Immigration was one of the few issues, probably because he understood it better than Cheneyco, that he carried that way as President.

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. He was a pretty affable, center right guy. Hell, his approach on immigration as POTUS was grade A stuff, made sense, would have helped the issue a good bit...and was opposed by extremists on both ends.

And yet portrayed by his opposition at the time as an ignorant buffoon and war monger, in office solely due to nepotism. How soon we forget. 

Edited by fattyflattie

And yet portrayed by his opposition at the time as an ignorant buffoon and war monger, in office solely due to nepotism. How soon we forget. 

Ummm....both portrayals can be true. He was affable...but not sophisticated. He got played by the Cheney and Rummy crowd, and made some really bad fucking decisions about the use of military force. And let’s be honest - we should be too fond of dynasties. If we never see another Bush or Clinton run for high office, that would be a good thing.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummm....both portrayals can be true. He was affable...but not sophisticated. He got played by the Cheney and Rummy crowd, and made some really bad fucking decisions about the use of military force. And let’s be honest - we should be too fond of dynasties. If we never see another Bush or Clinton run for high office, that would be a good thing.

I agree on all of that. But he was well educated, albeit a bit goofy. That doesn’t make an incompetent fool, which he was often portrayed. 

Edited by fattyflattie

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm not sure that qualifies as a dynasty.  From all I can tell, Shrub ran more or less in defiance of Poppy.  He wasn't exactly anointed by the family.

And from what I can tell, although he chose from Poppy's sometime cabinet and sometime advisors, he did so without Poppy's advise and consent and clearly got the wrong ones (who had lurched hard right during the Clinton administration).  James Baker is on record saying as much, GWHB probably wouldn't say anything publicly.  I'm pretty sure Rove and others helped manipulate him to the ends of Cheneyco.  He really got played, and not solely because he was some kind of idiot.  He had some of the most diabolical and sinister minds in politics preying on him.

His presidency is what it is, but I don't think it fairly represents the man.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure that qualifies as a dynasty.  From all I can tell, Shrub ran more or less in defiance of Poppy.  He wasn't exactly anointed by the family.

And from what I can tell, although he chose from Poppy's sometime cabinet and sometime advisors, he did so without Poppy's advise and consent and clearly got the wrong ones (who had lurched hard right during the Clinton administration).  James Baker is on record saying as much, GWHB probably wouldn't say anything publicly.  I'm pretty sure Rove and others helped manipulate him to the ends of Cheneyco.  He really got played, and not solely because he was some kind of idiot.  He had some of the most diabolical and sinister minds in politics preying on him.

His presidency is what it is, but I don't think it fairly represents the man.

Other than the first sentence (sorry, daddy was POTUS, one son was POTUS, another son ran -- poorly (please clap) for POTUS -- yeah, that's a dynasty, and I don't do hereditary royalty, I think hereditary royalty should be beheaded), I don't disagree with this.  W wasn't a dim bulb -- he wasn't ready for the sharks he found himself surrounded by.

I don't think he's a genuinely bad person, and had he been surrounded by a different group, actually may have ended up being at least a decent POTUS.

Again, I remember the old Brisket on Hornfans having to actually defend W regularly from people who attributed to him all kinds of personally sinister motives and attributes.  Man, those were the days.