2019 Election thread

Voldemort86

15 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Madonna was a slut.

And may God bless her for it. Small town West Texas Baptist boys needed to see what a strong (and musically meh) woman could do with her business acumen.

I mean, we had Ann and Molly showing what a real woman could do, but Madonna bringing her questionable talents to the table was a whole 'nuther level to a new generation.

• Like 2

Nationwide broadband as a public utility is a good start.  The folks in rural America are actually left behind in the interconnected digital age.  Our society hasn’t done much to rectify it either because profits and DGAF.  

Yeah but the upside is that we get the HughesNet commercial.

6 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Local issue, but not sure where else to put this. Tony Buzbee is scum. Unfortunately looks like he’s forced a runoff - the guy is a Trumpkin clown.

Anyone else catch his shitfaced rambling tonight? The guy is a train wreck. 

As expected. Boykins was in as a spoiler to take some of the black vote. Just took enough to keep Turner under 50. 46-30 lead for Turner - Buzbee better hope all the aggy turn out in the runoff. 

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

As expected. Boykins was in as a spoiler to take some of the black vote. Just took enough to keep Turner under 50. 46-30 lead for Turner - Buzbee better hope all the aggy turn out in the runoff. 

Firefighters were also out in force asking people to vote for Boykins.  Not that they wanted boykins elected but rather force the run off, hoping for miracles for buzzbee.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Firefighters were also out in force asking people to vote for Boykins.  Not that they wanted boykins elected but rather force the run off, hoping for miracles for buzzbee.

Everyone not named King was basically a Buzbee/FF union plant to force a runoff. 

10 hours ago, Message Board User said:

If this guy is to be believed, Bevin was loathed even by his own party - considering I know zilch about Kentucky politics, I'll defer to this guy.

If there is one thing the salt of the earth common man yeoman farmers coalminers etc of Kentucky don't like, it's an arrogant jerk from the Northeast sent to save the beknighted hillbillies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

“He’s not really a Democrat!!!”

But wasn't the "fake" Democrat running against a "real" conservative?

Truth is that I wish I could take more comfort from the win, but it really just shows how unpopular Bevin was in Kentucky as opposed to a referendum on Trump, since every other Republican won.

I mentioned this a while back, but Beshear was running ads with people who were saying they still support Trump 💯 but won't vote for Bevin.

I would have felt much better if the GOP's AG candidate, who basically strapped himself to Trump's ass, has only been practicing law for 8 years, has never tried a case, and was a Washington lobbyist for the opiod manufacturers hadn't won big over a former state AG.

That said, I'll take what I can get...this is Kentucky after all.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Truth is that I wish I could take more comfort from the win, but it really just shows how unpopular Bevin was in Kentucky as opposed to a referendum on Trump, since every other Republican won.

I mentioned this a while back, but Beshear was running ads with people who were saying they still support Trump 💯 but won't vote for Bevin.

I would have felt much better if the GOP's AG candidate, who basically strapped himself to Trump's ass, has only been practicing law for 8 years, has never tried a case, and was a Washington lobbyist for the opiod manufacturers hadn't won big over a former state AG.

Most democrats are celebrating anyway because trump personally invested his time and effort to get this idiot re-elected....... and he FAILED!

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

From what the issues Kentucky voters voted on, Mitch isn't doing too hot either though. I think his seat is at play, based on the vote swing from bevin

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bolverk said:

Here's the sober reality. How do we reach those who don't live in the population, education, or employment centers of this country?

Screenshot-20191105-201411-Chrome.jpg

Speaking as one who lives rural, fuck them, fuck them all. Let them die in their trailer parks and their shity little 4 acre ranchitos, clinging to their guns and driving their pickups they can't afford to the Walmarts to buy plastic shit from China.

11 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Nationwide broadband as a public utility is a good start.  The folks in rural America are actually left behind in the interconnected digital age.  Our society hasn’t done much to rectify it either because profits and DGAF.  

My broadband is federally subsidized because I live in a rural area. Until they stop bitching about welfare queens and the nanny state, that shit needs to stop. Any federal investments in local education will be spent on the football team. Fuck them all. They are a waste of land, water, oxygen. They need to shut up, die, or move.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

From what the issues Kentucky voters voted on, Mitch isn't doing too hot either though. I think his seat is at play, based on the vote swing from bevin

Mitch won't lose based on the issues.  Like Bevin, hell lose because people seem to hate him personally. And I do expect him to lose.

The issues that were most important, based on the ads for all positions up for election were, abortion, guns, immigration, Christianity, the America hating "Radical Left", and who could suck Trump's dick best.  Trump, Hillary, Bernie, Warren, and the Squad featured prominently in almost every GOP ad.

The major Hill for the Dems to climb here is that 49% of Kentuckians are evangelicals...and we all know they love themselves some Trump.

16 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The GOP AG candidate is Mitch's protégé.  Trust and believe, Mitch is to Kentucky what Harry Reid is to Democrats.  He gets his guys elected.  Mitch fucking hates Bevin, so I doubt he's upset.

Bevin has to work with an all GOP executive and a state government where the GOP controls 29/38 Senate seats and 59/100 House seats. 

The Kentucky AG and SOS both flipped from Democrats.  

For the MS Governor Race, last time there was an open race, Phil Bryant won 60.98-39.02.  Much better result in an open race this time - only lost 46.5-52.2

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Mitch won't lose based on the issues.  Like Bevin, hell lose because people seem to hate him personally. And I do expect him to lose.

The issues that were most important, based on the ads for all positions up for election were, abortion, guns, immigration, Christianity, the America hating "Radical Left", and who could suck Trump's dick best.  Trump, Hillary, Bernie, Warren, and the Squad featured prominently in almost every GOP ad.

The major Hill for the Dems to climb here is that 49% of Kentuckians are evangelicals...and we all know they love themselves some Trump.

Nearly 10% of the state's adults, and 25% of blacks, cannot vote in Kentucky.  Bevin said he is going to issue an EO to restore voting rights that his father originally issued but was reversed by Bevin as soon as he took office. 

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Nearly 10% of the state's adults, and 25% of blacks, cannot vote in Kentucky.  Bevin said he is going to issue an EO to restore voting rights that his father originally issued but was reversed by Bevin as soon as he took office. 

I think you mean Beshear, but I get it, I keep calling Bevin, Blevin.

Just now, DixonHur said:

I think you mean Beshear, but I get it, I keep calling Bevin, Blevin.

Yes, of course.  Stupid names all being too similar.  Beshear will issue an EO to restore felon voting rights.  I think it was ~500,000 Kentuckians cannot vote. 

Also, on the "Bevin is so unpopular, this means nothing for Mitch" -

Bevin - 32/56 in Morning Consult's Q2 ratings
Mitch: 37/50

43 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

My broadband is federally subsidized because I live in a rural area. Until they stop bitching about welfare queens and the nanny state, that shit needs to stop. Any federal investments in local education will be spent on the football team. Fuck them all. They are a waste of land, water, oxygen. They need to shut up, die, or move.

I'd like to elaborate on this: the companies that supply broadband wouldn't be able to turn a profit out here, because the number of subscribers wouldn't be able to pay for the required infrastructure investments and upkeep. So, either no internet, or the feds subsidize it.

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/election/delaware-county-council-philadelphia-suburbs-democrats-20191106.html

probably more important for the 2020 implications than the Kentucky celebration is the Pennsylvania celebration.

I do not think Pennsylvania or Michigan are in doubt after 2018 and last night. 

My sole 2020 concern is still Wisconsin.  They have such red suburbs that do not seem to be following the trend everywhere else.  

10 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Is it Memphis or Nashville that has citywide wifi? How is that going? I pay for the water to come out of the tap. Why can't we have city or co-op intertubz? 

Pretty sure you're talking about Chattanooga. I was just up there for a small tech conference and was very impressed with the scene, it shocked me. Very old brick buildings being nicely repurposed for new shops, companies, and restaurants. This fits right in with what @Celery Man posted about mid-sized cities attracting millennials seeking home ownership that isn't grotesquely expensive for first-time home buyers.

My hometown of Augusta, GA is desperately trying to do the same but isn't have as much success.

http://www.chattanooga.gov/it/nooganet/nooga-net-guest-wifi-access

Edited by GSU&UT
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Speaking as one who lives rural, fuck them, fuck them all. Let them die in their trailer parks and their shity little 4 acre ranchitos, clinging to their guns and driving their pickups they can't afford to the Walmarts to buy plastic shit from China.

Read an article the other day that rural people are losing their grocery stores and dollar generals are swooping in like crazy. It may not seem like a big deal, but these places are losing access to their produce section and they have very little ways to eat healthy. Most of them probably go to sonic, slam down several burgers, buy tons of soda at dollar general anyway, but the few who are health conscious are getting screwed.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My sole 2020 concern is still Wisconsin.  They have such red suburbs that do not seem to be following the trend everywhere else.  

Wisconsin’s 2018 results were encouraging. That crook Scott Walker is gone and  he probably would’ve done some shady stuff to help trump win the election. Democrats swept all the statewide races in Wisconsin. My biggest concern with Wisconsin is their gerrymanders. They can win 65 out of 100 house seats statewide while getting only 40% of the vote. It truly is a disgrace.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wisconsin could still be offset by winning Arizona or North Carolina. I think it’s possible based on the trends ive seen lately in those states.

Just now, Voldemort86 said:

Wisconsin’s 2018 results were encouraging. That crook Scott Walker is gone and  he probably would’ve done some shady stuff to help trump win the election. Democrats swept all the statewide races in Wisconsin. My biggest concern with Wisconsin is their gerrymanders. They can win 65 out of 100 house seats statewide while getting only 40% of the vote. It truly is a disgrace.

Remember Wisconsin Democrats lost a Supreme Court race just 7 months ago.  Would have made it 4-4 instead of 5-2. 

2015 VA House of Delegates:
GOP (Popular Vote): 798K votes, or 61%,  
DEM (Popular Vote): 451K votes, or 34%.

2017 VA House of Delegates:
GOP (Popular Vote): 1.07M votes, or 44%,  
DEM (Popular Vote): 1.3M votes, or 54%.

Of course, it is hard to compare 2015 (no statewide races) vs 2017 (governor race).

But still. Almost 1MM more democratic votes showed up in 2017!

2019 popular vote totals are not yet available, but they will give good comparison to 2015.

One of the reasons that fewer Democrats used to show up had to do with gerrymandered maps. Packing would concentrate Dems into Uncontested races, resulting in depressed turnout.

its Very unfortunate, but the republican philosophy really is “ the politician should pick the voter” and not the other way around. They call us communists, but those fuckers try to rig elections and undermine the electoral process. I can’t think of anything more anti- American than that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

That show I read it too, with the good news caveat of saying trump did try to make the gov race a trump referendum, and that still was not enough.  The implication being even trump mind control only goes so far with. 

Like I said last night, down-ballot races saw 50,000-150,000+ more voters picking the Republican, than voted for Bevin.

The GOP (Mitch) are probably soiling their pants a little and doing everything they can to figure how how many of those voters that supported other Republicans down-ballot, but not Bevin, are Republican, Democrat, and independent.  

I can't imagine that too many of those 50,000 - 150,000+ were Democrats who chose Republicans in the other 5 state races, which leaves you with a mix of Republicans who didn't follow Trump's orders, and independents who voted based on the candidates themselves.  Extrapolate that out to 2020, with those who are going to be voting against Trump (or refusing to vote), and toss in the voters who lost their voting rights, that Beshear will restore, and that's going to generate a lot of antacid sales in the Turtle's household.

17 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Read an article the other day that rural people are losing their grocery stores and dollar generals are swooping in like crazy. It may not seem like a big deal, but these places are losing access to their produce section and they have very little ways to eat healthy. Most of them probably go to sonic, slam down several burgers, buy tons of soda at dollar general anyway, but the few who are health conscious are getting screwed.

My small town is not as bad as many in that regard, but, Yeah, I'd agree with that. We do have two grocery stores where we can get fresh produce and some organic stuff. But the dollar stores are definitely moving in. And the other non-grocery stores are leaving. People drive a long way to shop at those grocery stores. We drive a long way to shop at a store that is not dollar store for clothes and such, or just use Amazon. Plenty of fast food options however.

5 or 6 dollar a gallon gas will put the final nail in the coffin of rural america. Because they would rather starve than give up their pick ups for Honda econo-boxes or Priuses (Priusi?)

edit: end threadjack.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

14 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Wisconsin could still be offset by winning Arizona or North Carolina. I think it’s possible based on the trends ive seen lately in those states.

Yeah, Zona will likely flip and they have 11 electoral votes to Sconsin’s 10.  NC has 15.

We’re seeing a significant realignment of the map for the first time in a generation.  WI and MN are going the direction of MO and OH.  Meanwhile, VA and CO are solid blues, AZ is very purple and then there are GA and TX.  The growing states are the ones trending blue.

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

My small town is not as bad as many in that regard, but, Yeah, I'd agree with that. We do have two grocery stores where we can get fresh produce and some organic stuff. But the dollar stores are definitely moving in. And the other non-grocery stores are leaving. People drive a long way to shop at those grocery stores. We drive a long way to shop at a store that is not dollar store for clothes and such, or just use Amazon. Plenty of fast food options however.

5 or 6 dollar a gallon gas will put the final nail in the coffin of rural america. Because they would rather starve than give up their pick ups for Honda econo-boxes or Priuses (Priusi?)

It’s hard to root for rural America. They seem to have this militant attitude towards people who live in big cities. They actually get off on sticking it to the “ liberal elite”. In many red states, the big cities get screwed even tho they are the ones who bring in the money. Rural people show up in unison and out vote the city folk.

in Texas it’s really bad. We are inexplicably the second biggest state in the country by both population and land mass, but we govern with a very small mind and rural approach. The Texas cities get no consideration from abbott and Goeb, if anything they spit on them. City and surburban folks take a backseat to the rural people in Texas and that won’t change until we finally break through and win a big election.

The good grocery stores are closing in rural America because the people there don’t want to shop there.  They don’t want organic food.  They want Mountain Dew and Hot Pockets.  

Don’t feel sorry for them on the food front.  They’re getting what they want.

5 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

in Texas it’s really bad. We are inexplicably the second biggest state in the country by both population and land mass, but we govern with a very small mind and rural approach. The Texas cities get no consideration from abbott and Goeb, if anything they spit on them. City and surburban folks take a backseat to the rural people in Texas and that won’t change until we finally break through and win a big election.

The problem with such comparisons, is that if you go to the Northeast, you can be in a rural town, but you're still only an hour (or most likely less) from actual civilization. You can be in a rural area in Texas, and be hours from a city with a Walmart.  You can be an hour from a larger city whose population is still less than 10,000.  You get a lot more isolation in the Midwest/Southwest than you do in other parts of the country, and I'm not sure how you address or deal with that.  It's a far different mindset than say a rural area in Vermont where you are a few hours away from half a dozen big cities.

7 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

It’s hard to root for rural America. They seem to have this militant attitude towards people who live in big cities. They actually get off on sticking it to the “ liberal elite”. In many red states, the big cities get screwed even tho they are the ones who bring in the money. Rural people show up in unison and out vote the city folk.

It's very much in the same spirit that I see with olds and technology, in which they'll acknowledge their limited knowledge and/or ignorance, but double down on it because "that's just who they are" or some other shit like that. And then true to dunning-krueger, they'll act as if they know everything they need to know on that topic. It's a good thing those folks don't have a disproportionate voice relative to the number of constituents due to gerrymandering and the electoral college, it could lead to some demagogue getting into the WH (or really any elected office) and REALLY fucking things up.

39 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Dems can flip the Senate

Should be a bigger goal than gaining the Presidency.

If Dems can get enthusiasm for the state offices, that energy will spill into the US Congressional races, which will spill into the Senate races.  You get the energy in those races, the Presidency will take care of itself.