The Roger Stone Trial

Hugo Stiglitz

because of course, this dude cannot do anything without making it a mockery:

Nov. 5, 2019, 1:21 PM CST / Updated Nov. 5, 2019, 2:18 PM CST
By Allan Smith and Charlie Gile

Jury selection in the trial of Roger Stone, the longtime confidant and adviser to President Donald Trump, got off to a bizarre start on Tuesday as Stone left the proceedings due to what he said was food poisoning shortly after an observer was taken out of the courtroom on a stretcher after appearing to have a seizure.

The selection of the jury continued without Stone present, but because of the earlier delay stemming from the separate medical emergency, it is unlikely jury selection will be completed Tuesday. More than 80 prospective jurors arrived at federal district court in Washington, D.C., to potentially take part in the trial.

Stone, 67, is accused of lying to Congress and pressuring another person to do the same. Stone's case stems from former special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/roger-stone-leaves-jury-selection-his-trial-because-food-poisoning-n1076711

191105-roger-stone-wide-se-144p_b812ae78

now THIS is how an arch supervillain arrives to court

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/roger-stone-leaves-jury-selection-his-trial-because-food-poisoning-n1076711

Pretty slick, if they know the names of the potential jurors. Gives them over night to dig into the backgrounds and political leanings of any potential jurors not already struck.

While that wouldn't be an advantage for almost any other case, if you have access to the nefarious people and organizations Stone does, it could be huge.

His lawyers will know who is a Trump supporter and who is vehemently in favor of impeachment with a couple of phone calls. 

6 minutes ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Pretty slick, if they know the names of the potential jurors. Gives them over night to dig into the backgrounds and political leanings of any potential jurors not already struck.

While that wouldn't be an advantage for almost any other case, if you have access to the nefarious people and organizations Stone does, it could be huge.

His lawyers will know who is a Trump supporter and who is vehemently in favor of impeachment with a couple of phone calls. 

Quite the conspiracy angle, but I'll allow it.

11 minutes ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Could just be a delaying tactic and being an asshole, but seems like a bold strategy Cotton move to piss off the judge on the first day for no gain.

If they don't know the names, have some of the most likely Trumpkins followed home. All it takes is 1 Johnny Sack or EMAW to ensure a hung jury. 

Edited by suddenly shaggy

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Is that the wife who likes to swing?  Very hawt.

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

Are we not going to talk about the guy on the left who is wearing sunglasses way too small for his head, but also maybe somehow too large because it looks like he's holding his head at an angle to keep them from slipping down his nose?  Ok we're not talking about that? Ok, carry on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, suddenly shaggy said:

i've been in a federal jury pool. from the get go, we were assigned a jury #. that was our name the entire time. if they've got the jury names, they are playing dirty pool.

long story short, i didn't get picked for the federal jury. mostly because i've testified in a murder trial. 

10 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i've been in a federal jury pool. from the get go, we were assigned a jury #. that was our name the entire time. if they've got the jury names, they are playing dirty pool.

long story short, i didn't get picked for the federal jury. mostly because i've testified in a murder trial. 

Gonna need more info here.  What happened?

14 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Are we not going to talk about the guy on the left who is wearing sunglasses way too small for his head, but also maybe somehow too large because it looks like he's holding his head at an angle to keep them from slipping down his nose?  Ok we're not talking about that? Ok, carry on.

What about the used up lidless cardboard box that's been re-taped? I'm no lawyer but can't lawyers, especially lawyers of the infamous Get Me Roger Stone, afford a more respectable receptacle?

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Gonna need more info here.  What happened?

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, you don't just go casually dropping that sort of tidbit in here. We have rules and standards and stuff.

i've told the story on the various pages before. with some friends of mine i went to a movie up in dallas at the grand theater off northwest highway, which was then all the rage because it had stadium seating. anyways, because it was popular, we figured we would park in the back of the theater. buddy parks the car, and i get out. there were three girls with us. as i get out of the car, i see what looks like a trash bag hanging out of a car. as i approached, it became apparent that it was the body of a girl, not a trash bag, and there was a substantial pool of blood around her head. i remember the blood vividly, because it really looked like it does in the movies.

anyways, we hustle to the front, my buddy looks for security, and i call 911 from a payphone (!! it was 1997), and tell the police that i've found some dead bodies in the back. at this point, i'm split up from my friends, but we all ended up behind the theater in different cop cars to give our stories. the scene was more graphic than i originally saw, as there was blood all over the windshield.

apparently, police knew of criminal activity and were running some undercover operation. when the perps peeled out of the parking lot, an unmarked vehicle started following them. when my 911 hit dispatch, the unmarked car lit them up, pulled them over, and found the gun and possessions of the dead girls (there was another in the passenger seat i did not see) in the car. had we arrived two minutes earlier, it might have been us that was robbed.

since i was the one to dial 911, the prosecution thought i would be a good candidate to set the scene. so i flew back up to dallas (i was at texas at the time) they put me up in a hotel, and prepped me for the trial. it was simple - just tell the story of what happened, and what i saw. they told me they were going for execution.

the defendant sat there pretty emotionless when i was called. his public attorney dozed throughout my testimony. that's always stuck with me through the years as well. i mean, the guy was guilty, but still deserved at least counsel who paid attention at trial.

i was not cross examined, and i left. he was put to death in 2006.

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/US/hughes1013.htm

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Same.  Harrowing.

Is/was The Grand the one out by 35 or Walton Walker?

you're testing my memory now, but it was off northwest highway near 35. i don't think it's there anymore, or if it is, it has a different name

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/so-the-old-amc-grand-24-will-remain-a-movie-theater-after-all-half-of-it-anyway-7117033

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 1

lol no shit.  you'd expect them to at least make the entrance look a little clean.  Mainly because of it being a federal building but also the court of that high stature should be at least presentable.  I've seen corner stores in the hood that look nicer/cleaner.

3 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

What the hell?!!!.  Why does everything in America have to be like a used car lot?...it is a federal court house for fuck's sake.

Our president is trump. America is effectively a used car lot. Everything is for sale, given the right price.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Courthouses, and particularly federal ones, are disappointing as often as not from the exterior (interior as well, often).

If it wasn't done during the Depression, then it's likely a shitty courthouse.  WPA courthouses are the best. 

Remember, we make everything with the lowest bidder. 

i've told the story on the various pages before. with some friends of mine i went to a movie up in dallas at the grand theater off northwest highway, which was then all the rage because it had stadium seating. anyways, because it was popular, we figured we would park in the back of the theater. buddy parks the car, and i get out. there were three girls with us. as i get out of the car, i see what looks like a trash bag hanging out of a car. as i approached, it became apparent that it was the body of a girl, not a trash bag, and there was a substantial pool of blood around her head. i remember the blood vividly, because it really looked like it does in the movies.

anyways, we hustle to the front, my buddy looks for security, and i call 911 from a payphone (!! it was 1997), and tell the police that i've found some dead bodies in the back. at this point, i'm split up from my friends, but we all ended up behind the theater in different cop cars to give our stories. the scene was more graphic than i originally saw, as there was blood all over the windshield.

apparently, police knew of criminal activity and were running some undercover operation. when the perps peeled out of the parking lot, an unmarked vehicle started following them. when my 911 hit dispatch, the unmarked car lit them up, pulled them over, and found the gun and possessions of the dead girls (there was another in the passenger seat i did not see) in the car. had we arrived two minutes earlier, it might have been us that was robbed.

since i was the one to dial 911, the prosecution thought i would be a good candidate to set the scene. so i flew back up to dallas (i was at texas at the time) they put me up in a hotel, and prepped me for the trial. it was simple - just tell the story of what happened, and what i saw. they told me they were going for execution.

the defendant sat there pretty emotionless when i was called. his public attorney dozed throughout my testimony. that's always stuck with me through the years as well. i mean, the guy was guilty, but still deserved at least counsel who paid attention at trial.

i was not cross examined, and i left. he was put to death in 2006.

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/US/hughes1013.htm

Final Meal:
Six pieces of fried chicken with hot sauce, six jalapeno peppers, French fries, four buttered rolls, two large sodas and two menthol cigarettes.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but solid selection nonetheless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

If it wasn't done during the Depression, then it's likely a shitty courthouse.  WPA courthouses are the best. 

Remember, we make everything with the lowest bidder. 

Yep, so many of them from the post-war era and kind of brutalist.  The "post office and federal courthouse" buildings are some of the better ones, most no longer used as courthouses (e.g. Dallas).  The WD Tex in Waco is actually one of the better ones, believe it or not.

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Courthouses, and particularly federal ones, are disappointing as often as not from the exterior (interior as well, often).

our texas western district courthouse was not so bad when i was there for jury duty.

i forgot to close the loop on that story. i was in jury selection for this trial:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-who-shot-judge-kocurek-sentenced-to-life-in-prison/

i was waived, i presume because on the questionnaire (14 pages!) it asked if you had ever testified in a murder or attempted murder trial, which i answered honestly. during selection, i was singled out and questioned by the defense about my experience. i could tell then and there i was out. "would you rather not go through that again?" was his line of questioning.

it was so weird. they introduced the defendant, and he was a smallish guy, and he kind of smiled nervously and waved in an awkward but slightly endearing way. his mother sat in the back of the courtroom, all dressed up and all swathed in quiet, sad dignity. 

it was a huge jury pool, some 150ish of us. the empaneling was like a strange sort of draft. at he beginning, judge yeakel made a vour dire joke that seemed 40 or so years in practice. "we're in texas, so we pronounce it vire dire.

anyways, it was an interesting experience

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

fwiw, in the state court where I practice, the prospective jurors are all assigned numbers and their names are never mentioned in open court. The attorneys DO have a list with all names. The jurors are not aware of this.

our texas western district courthouse was not so bad when i was there for jury duty.

i forgot to close the loop on that story. i was in jury selection for this trial:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-who-shot-judge-kocurek-sentenced-to-life-in-prison/

i was waived, i presume because on the questionnaire (14 pages!) it asked if you had ever testified in a murder or attempted murder trial, which i answered honestly. during selection, i was singled out and questioned by the defense about my experience. i could tell then and there i was out. "would you rather not go through that again?" was his line of questioning.

it was so weird. they introduced the defendant, and he was a smallish guy, and he kind of smiled nervously and waved in an awkward but slightly endearing way. his mother sat in the back of the courtroom, all dressed up and all swathed in quiet, sad dignity. 

it was a huge jury pool, some 150ish of us. the empaneling was like a strange sort of draft. at he beginning, judge yeakel made a vour dire joke that seemed 40 or so years in practice. "we're in texas, so we pronounce it vire dire.

anyways, it was an interesting experience

I wonder why that was federal.  I don't immediately see any good reason for invoking federal jurisdiction there.

Also a bit surprised at the depth of the voir dire.  Federal voir dire is notoriously perfunctory compared to state court.

And yeah, most defense counsel aren't going to want someone with prior exposure to the system, in pretty much any form.  Defendant, witness, lawyer.  Probably a fair number of prosecutors, also.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I wonder why that was federal.  I don't immediately see any good reason for invoking federal jurisdiction there.

And yeah, most defense counsel aren't going to want someone with prior exposure to the system, in pretty much any form.  Defendant, witness, lawyer.  Probably a fair number of prosecutors, also.

lot of racketeering stuff in the case that made it federal:

Onyeri was found guilty of one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud, two counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, seven counts of aggravated identity theft and six counts of witness tampering.

naturally, local news is going to focus on local judge with the name kocurek getting shot.

Edited by hayden_horn

Just now, hayden_horn said:

lot of racketeering stuff in the case that made it federal, i think.

Yeah, strange.  His state court conviction, the reason he tried to whack Kocurek in the first place, was "RICO," as well.

I'm very leery of federal criminal court jurisdiction.

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Surly letting me down for being the update thread on what's happening in the trial. And let me tell you, shit has been happening.

And boom goes the dynamite, Mueller <-> Stone nexus

The Trump Campaign was filled with too many bumblefucks to have possibly "colluded" with Putin's cronies via Assange & Wikileaks. Nothingburger. /s