The Roger Stone Trial

Hugo Stiglitz

Does it really matter what the Sentence is?  Stone will be pardoned, nearly certainly.  I guess he could sit in Jail until after the election, but with a delayed entry into prison due to the request for a new trial, Stone knows his max is a couple months. Trump wins or loses in November and Stone is pardoned.  I'm not sure it he gets pardoned before the election in all honesty.  As the pardon could produce additional political drag for Trump's reelection. Depends on Trump's level of fear in having the truth be told by Roger Stone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Just goes to show that DOJ is genetically and every other way incapable of arguing to apply the sentencing guidelines in anything but a draconian manner.  Except when the defendant is a snitch.

I this case, I would be ok if they argued for the guillotine.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Does it really matter what the Sentence is?  Stone will be pardoned, nearly certainly.  I guess he could sit in Jail until after the election, but with a delayed entry into prison due to the request for a new trial, Stone knows his max is a couple months. Trump wins or loses in November and Stone is pardoned.  I'm not sure it he gets pardoned before the election in all honesty.  As the pardon could produce additional political drag for Trump's reelection. Depends on Trump's level of fear in having the truth be told by Roger Stone.

I think it does.  If Stone gets something less than 2 years, he can probably just do the time, get a cookie when he gets out and Trump doesn't have to run any political risks in pardoning him.  If its longer than that, Trump absolutely pardons him, and will face a lot of ultimately inconsequential criticism for it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I think it does.  If Stone gets something less than 2 years, he can probably just do the time, get a cookie when he gets out and Trump doesn't have to run any political risks in pardoning him.  If its longer than that, Trump absolutely pardons him, and will face a lot of ultimately inconsequential criticism for it.

Like he gives a fuck about political risks at this point.

I can see Trump pardoning him asap.  Like, after the sentence is announced, assuming it is legal to do it that soon.

If he's good to just pardon him, why get Barr to intervene at all and tweet to influence sentencing?  I think he'd like to have Stone receive a light sentence and then have to do nothing vs having to pardon him.  It ultimately doesn't matter, if he needs to pardon him he will.  But if Stone gets a light sentence, I think he doesn't pardon at all.

1 minute ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Just long enough for a 67 year old Stone to squirm, but not long enough to easily justify a swift pardon to moderates.

I still think he pardons, but probably not until he faces actually having to report to prison. 

bill hader popcorn GIF

Yep, I could also see him pardon sometime between November and January.  I don't think there is any way Stone stays in prison for that amount of time.  It would be a terrible signal to everyone else that Trump has pardon leverage with.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yep, I could also see him pardon sometime between November and January.  I don't think there is any way Stone stays in prison for that amount of time.  It would be a terrible signal to everyone else that Trump has pardon leverage with.

I was just going to say,  December either way.  He gets reelected, it takes month.  He gets ousted, it takes a month (after election).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

They'll both be pardoned after the election.

This.  He's very aware of public perception among his base.  While we know he could shoot someone and his base wouldn't care, why risk anything that could potentially turn that base?  The base does not care about Stone or Manafort that much.  They care about Trump.  So Trump will only pardon them when it's advantageous for himself to do so.  That's only after the election in November.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

pardoning Stone does create a dilemma for Trump. A pardon doesn't stop Congress from bringing Stone in for more questioning. And he can't hide behind self-incrimination if he's had a pardon. Yes, he can refuse or even lie, but then he can find himself facing jail again.

Yet, we've seen what happens to people who tell Congress to fuck off - exactly jack shit.  And do we expect the DOJ to subpoena him?  Just not going to happen.  So who's going to do the questioning? 

Yeah - nothing matters.