The Roger Stone Trial

Hugo Stiglitz

Still and all, what Stone did was flat out lie, not say he couldn't recall.  That's a much easier burden to sustain, regardless of context.

In real life litigation, if you can prove that what a witness can't recall did in fact happen, you are usually content with that and unwilling to attempt to prove the lie. That's why they tend to be called "process violations."

At some point, Trumpco is going to get caught in flat-out, no-dispute, inarguable criminality and we won't give a shit about obstructive offenses anymore.

Just now, Gil Bang said:

the thing isaw was that she retweeted some anti-trump tweet. is that the limit? do people remember everything they retweet? i mean, i'm sure i've made posts on this board expressing political opinions and opinions on the justice system. does that mean i'm disqualified to be on a jury?

9 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

the thing isaw was that she retweeted some anti-trump tweet. is that the limit?

a good excuse for me to express my biggest beef with political commentary these days.

what you are trying to do is establish a test, and then apply the test to the facts.  that isn't allowed in today's analysis.  all that matters is if you can analogize to something someone of the other political party did.

in non-snarky terms:  this is my biggest beef of the last 12 months or so.  so much undisciplined thought.  should trump be impeached?  well, if you'll remember, president [x] also asked country [y] for [z], and he wasn't impeached.  therefore, no.  it's never:  well, it says we should if he committed treason, bribery, HC&M. did he commit any of those?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

a good excuse for me to express my biggest beef with political commentary these days.

what you are trying to do is establish a test, and then apply the test to the facts.  that isn't allowed in today's analysis.  all that matters is if you can analogize to something someone of the other political party did.

in non-snarky terms:  this is my biggest beef of the last 12 months or so.  so much undisciplined thought.  should trump be impeached?  well, if you'll remember, president [x] also asked country [y] for [z], and he wasn't impeached.  therefore, no.  it's never:  well, it says we should if he committed treason, bribery, HC&M. did he commit any of those?

This x 1000.

Otherwise known as, "whataboutism."

40 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Another lie. They googled her. My 9 yr old googles people.

They deliberately let her on the jury so they could claim bias, and get the verdict tossed.

You mean they've been acting so smart because they're so stupid. (/Tremors 2: Aftershocks)

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised they're going into juror testimony.

Juror misconduct is supposed to be proven by "extrinsic" evidence, that is, something other than the jurors themselves.

Maybe all you have to do is raise a threshold issue, as by tweets and facebook and then you can get into juror testimony.

Otherwise, every convict or loser would have a motion for new trial and examine every juror.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm a little surprised they're going into juror testimony.

Juror misconduct is supposed to be proven by "extrinsic" evidence, that is, something other than the jurors themselves.

Maybe all you have to do is raise a threshold issue, as by tweets and facebook and then you can get into juror testimony.

Otherwise, every convict or loser would have a motion for new trial and examine every juror.

Many moons ago, I had a juror we overheard outside on her cell phone, discussing the case with a third party (and, by the sound of her end of the conversation, getting his thoughts on the matter).  We raised it to the judge, and the judge absolutely called the juror in for him to examine her under oath.  She deflected the softball questions pretty well, though, and thus we didn't have a good motion to disqualify.*

* Ended up being the only jury verdict I've lost.**

** Which we flipped, completely, on appeal.  

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Interesting, after a President has been impeached, he can’t pardon people associated with the impeachment ?

I don't think that's the case, but even if that were to be the case, it doesn't apply.  This president will do whatever the fuck he wants, and let his courts sort it out.

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Many moons ago, I had a juror we overheard outside on her cell phone, discussing the case with a third party (and, by the sound of her end of the conversation, getting his thoughts on the matter).  We raised it to the judge, and the judge absolutely called the juror in for him to examine her under oath.  She deflected the softball questions pretty well, though, and thus we didn't have a good motion to disqualify.*

Perez Mason?

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I guess too there is a difference between stopping juror misconduct before deliberations and trying to attack a verdict based on juror misconduct.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/02/27/trump-pardon-roger-stone-constitution-117757

Both the plain meaning of the Constitution’s text and the historical evidence show that once a president has been impeached, he or she loses the power to pardon anyone for criminal offenses connected to the articles of impeachment — and that even after the Senate’s failure to convict the president, he or she does not regain this power.

it’ll GoTo the courts. I’m sure the WH will ask for an emergency Supreme Court order 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Because I hold a PhD in Armchair Psychology, I am qualified to make this judgment:

Stone looks to be someone who suffers from a great deal of self-loathing.  His anger is over-the-top palpable.  I'm guessing addition or sexuality issues, or both.

That's my expert diagnosis, which is worth exactly what he paid for it.

Edited by jimmyjazz

On 2/26/2020 at 3:42 PM, Brisketexan said:

So that was your only jury trial?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Holy shit, watch these videos. If he's not the embodiment of every super villain/mobster ever, I don't know who is. WTF is he doing with his mouth? the dude on meth?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/akw47k/little-bitch-roger-stone-had-some-choice-words-for-a-lawyer-right-before-he-got-sentenced?utm_source=dmfb&fbclid=IwAR07iOghLZnhR2myfT8DpLskhQItBPjMYrAC6UwFfbBKnQkFDxYUCo_7Rxo

Holy shit, watch these videos. If he's not the embodiment of every super villain/mobster ever, I don't know who is. WTF is he doing with his mouth? the dude on meth?
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/akw47k/little-bitch-roger-stone-had-some-choice-words-for-a-lawyer-right-before-he-got-sentenced?utm_source=dmfb&fbclid=IwAR07iOghLZnhR2myfT8DpLskhQItBPjMYrAC6UwFfbBKnQkFDxYUCo_7Rxo

Meth or crank.