Favorite Hot Sauce

nivek3

Few different posts in this thread got me thinking...do ya'll refrigerate your hot sauces after opening?  Or just keep them in a cabinet/pantry at room temperature?  Or refrigerate some and keep some at room temp?

I've always just kept all of them at room temp as I kind of figured if restaurants are keeping them out on the table all day, then it must be fine to store them at room temp.  But when I got the Truff ones, I noticed they say to refrigerate after opening so I keep it in the refrigerator.  Also just noticed the Secret Aardvark (just ordered) says the same.  Haven't really checked my others.

What says Surly?

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Few different posts in this thread got me thinking...do ya'll refrigerate your hot sauces after opening?  Or just keep them in a cabinet/pantry at room temperature?  Or refrigerate some and keep some at room temp?

I've always just kept all of them at room temp as I kind of figured if restaurants are keeping them out on the table all day, then it must be fine to store them at room temp.  But when I got the Truff ones, I noticed they say to refrigerate after opening so I keep it in the refrigerator.  Also just noticed the Secret Aardvark (just ordered) says the same.  Haven't really checked my others.

What says Surly?

Mine are refrigerated, but that's my wife's doing.  When I was single, we usually left them out on top of the stove and never had an issue.

I do think some of the sauces that start getting to closer to salsa in terms of having vegetable chunks in them should probably be refrigerated, as there's more opportunity for shit to go sideways, but I've never had any issue with consistently room temperature hot sauce from either a flavor or safety stand point.

I’ve got more than a dozen varieties of hot sauce and I’m easily tempted to try a new bottle when I see one. The ones I use most often are on the counter or the table. The more seldom used ones are in the refrigerator. Over time they keep their color better if you refrigerate them. I’m not sure I’ve ever had a bottle that recommended that you keep it refrigerated after opening.

Take it out of the fridge a while before you need it and it won’t be cold. It doesn’t hurt to let it come to room temperature and then cool it again. And it doesn’t matter if you add cold sauce to the cooking pot. 

12 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I refrigerate the ones that say to do so on the bottle. 

Unless you're going through bottles at the same pace as a restaurant does, then the notion that you should leave your stuff out just because they sometimes leave shit out doesn't make much sense. 

This.  If the label says refrigerate after opening, I do.  If it doesn't, I don't.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve got more than a dozen varieties of hot sauce and I’m easily tempted to try a new bottle when I see one. The ones I use most often are on the counter or the table. The more seldom used ones are in the refrigerator. Over time they keep their color better if you refrigerate them. I’m not sure I’ve ever had a bottle that recommended that you keep it refrigerated after opening.

Take it out of the fridge a while before you need it and it won’t be cold. It doesn’t hurt to let it come to room temperature and then cool it again. And it doesn’t matter if you add cold sauce to the cooking pot. 

Open the cap briefly when you first take it out, otherwise the temperature/pressure interaction with cause a minor splattering upon opening an hour later. 

Here's my current rotation/stockpile. 

I just buy the 5-pack samplers of Marie Sharp's off of Amazon and cycle through them in random order. 

I've been eating a lot of Secret Aardvark lately - just discovered it in early December and have gone through three bottles each of the habanero and serrabanero so far. 

20210212_141037.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Aaaaand somehow or another I just managed to order over $100 worth of hot sauce from Amazon.  Thanks a lot assholes

Did the same shit here in London. Loaded up on Marie’s, Yellowbird and a few local/UK stuff.  Mainly serrano, habanero or ghost flavors. Pricing wasn’t too bad at about £4 to £5 per bottle. Needed some heat over here.

14 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Did the same shit here in London. Loaded up on Marie’s, Yellowbird and a few local/UK stuff.  Mainly serrano, habanero or ghost flavors. Pricing wasn’t too bad at about £4 to £5 per bottle. Needed some heat over here.

Here's what all I ended up ordering, which could also serve as a pretty good recap for the whole thread.  Couple I already have plenty of, so I didn't order (Truff, Cristal, Cholula, Tabasco, etc).  Couple pictured I keep on hand normally but I was just low so I decided to restock (Tapatio and Valentina).  The Melinda's wasn't really mentioned by anyone other than me, but it's my current favorite (have hot and XXX hot) so I decided to try a couple other flavors - I think it's Columbian and might contain actual crack - excited to see how it stacks up to all these others.  The rest were what I was able to mine from this thread that either got multiple votes or were mentioned by people I trust, or both.  In no particular order...

tQQowk.png

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Here's what all I ended up ordering, which could also serve as a pretty good recap for the whole thread.  Couple I already have plenty of, so I didn't order (Truff, Cristal, Cholula, Tabasco, etc).  Couple pictured I keep on hand normally but I was just low so I decided to restock (Tapatio and Valentina).  The Melinda's wasn't really mentioned by anyone other than me, but it's my current favorite (have hot and XXX hot) so I decided to try a couple other flavors - I think it's Columbian and might contain actual crack - excited to see how it stacks up to all these others.  The rest were what I was able to mine from this thread that either got multiple votes or were mentioned by people I trust, or both.  In no particular order...

tQQowk.png

Don't sleep on Chimay Negra, it's badass

chimay negra.jpg

22 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

The Yellowbird Ghost Pepper is amazing.  Great flavor.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, Brisketexan said:

I don't think TJ's dona sauce has anything extra in it, checking the label:

I guess the gum arabic and citric acid are "artificial-ish," but meh, they really aren't a big deal.  And I do like that it keeps in my fridge for several weeks -- fresh jalapeno sauce usually turns after a week or so.

I bought that TJ’s doña on your recommendation. tastes like doña with sugar in it. not a fan. but the heat is good. 

tQQowk.png

I always forget about how great Zaaschila is. Especially the habanero version. Hot AF. I haven’t had it in a while but will grab some if H‑E‑B ever opens again.

9 minutes ago, tigol said:

Has anyone tried Old Bay hot sauce?  I'm intrigued.

51yvdQTIRPL._SL1000_.jpg

aec0445c6b1673136db065b176d1e888.gif

Love their powder on certain things...sauce has to be good, right?

I'd order some, but I think my wife might have me committed if I buy more hot sauce right now.  Although it does say limited edition so I can probably justify it that way, right?

Nah, I better let you get some and report back.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
23 hours ago, Landomatic said:
Based on my findings so far, y'all are seriously overrating that Secret Aardvark stuff.  It's okay, but it's nowhere near the Marie Sharp's or Melinda's.

I'll jump in with you and say Marie Sharps is also overrated.

J Peterman No GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

I was reacting to Marie Sharp’s. Love that stuff. Makes me rip ass like crazy though. 
I didn't dislike it, just didn't love it. I've been on a Yellowbird kick lately. Hab, Serrano, Jap, Ghost are all fantastic. Ghost on pizza is a solid replacement for red pepper flakes. Your asshole asks you to be careful, though.

This shit is like crack. Just got a couple bottles the other day, and I have been looking for things to put it on ever since. Kind of like back when you first got a Dremel, you went all over the house looking for shit to use it on - same deal. 

[Borat]My wife[/Borat] hates mayo and she likes this, so if you are also a gustatorial retardate concerning mayonnaise, you may still appreciate this, too. 

If you're not familiar with Nando's (or peri peri chicken in general), anyone reading this thread will like it, so look for it in your area. Back when I worked in an office, I would eat Nando's for lunch and load up on their hottest sauce any time I needed to clear out my sinuses. It won't melt your brain or anything, but it will open you up enough (and it's messy enough) that I always ate it with my office door closed. 

It's available at their restaurants, online, and at some grocery stores. 

20210220_133130.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

put this on some grilled chicken thighs last night and couldn't stop eating them.  i'll try it on some eggs next.

Did you find it in a grocery store, or order online?

I haven't seen it in my small town, and killed my bottle last week.  I ended up with it via my in-laws and I have no idea where my MIL got it.  She doesn't remember either.

But seriously, shit's crack ain't it?

Edited by Al_4_ISU

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

amazon.  really good and a different flavor than my other ones.  my only complaint is it needs one of those stoppers to keep from pouring out half the bottle.

Agreed.  Made that mistake the first time I used it too.  Smothered my eggs.