Favorite Hot Sauce

nivek3

So.....before my wife made an HEB run, we were down to maybe a dozen splashes of Crystal left in the bottle.  It was on our list....the week of the blizzard.  So, I kept using it and depleting it, until we finally made a big HEB run again.

I have never run that low on Crystal hot sauce.  I did not like it.  It kinda gave me the shakes.  Do not recommend.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So.....before my wife made an HEB run, we were down to maybe a dozen splashes of Crystal left in the bottle.  It was on our list....the week of the blizzard.  So, I kept using it and depleting it, until we finally made a big HEB run again.

I have never run that low on Crystal hot sauce.  I did not like it.  It kinda gave me the shakes.  Do not recommend.

#neverforget

Edited by tigol
More tussin.

Got a frustrating shipment today. 

I've never had Yellowbird before, so I didn't realize that each bottle was supposed to have a yellow cap. Threw the box into the pile in the corner of the garage without looking for either of the missing caps. Ended up finding one but not the other, so I will have to wait to try one of the three once I finish one of the two capped bottles. 

I elected to leave the Serrano on the shelf for now because I assume that it's the most similar to the Secret Aardvark Serrabanero, which I eat by the handful. 

However, the two bottles of Secret Aardvark Serrabanero that I also ordered are in a garbage bag in the garage because both leaked at some point prior to arrival. And for some reason, these bottles are non-returnable (makes sense) and non-refundable (does not make sense). 

I generally order my shit through Amazon, and I've been able to get a replacement for leaky bottles of Marie Sharp's in the past (ended up using the bad ones to frustrate a skunk who tried nesting under my deck - worked like a charm...) so I don't know whether I need to be more careful about which seller I use, or if I should just order straight from the source...

WOMP womp. 

*I like the Habanero and the Jalapeño Yellowbird, but they're a little sweeter than I expected. Need to gather more data, but after slathering my enchiladas at dinner tonight, I don't know that it's going to be a constant presence in my stable. 

20210309_175549.jpg

10 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Got a frustrating shipment today. 

I've never had Yellowbird before, so I didn't realize that each bottle was supposed to have a yellow cap. Threw the box into the pile in the corner of the garage without looking for either of the missing caps. Ended up finding one but not the other, so I will have to wait to try one of the three once I finish one of the two capped bottles. 

I elected to leave the Serrano on the shelf for now because I assume that it's the most similar to the Secret Aardvark Serrabanero, which I eat by the handful. 

However, the two bottles of Secret Aardvark Serrabanero that I also ordered are in a garbage bag in the garage because both leaked at some point prior to arrival. And for some reason, these bottles are non-returnable (makes sense) and non-refundable (does not make sense). 

I generally order my shit through Amazon, and I've been able to get a replacement for leaky bottles of Marie Sharp's in the past (ended up using the bad ones to frustrate a skunk who tried nesting under my deck - worked like a charm...) so I don't know whether I need to be more careful about which seller I use, or if I should just order straight from the source...

WOMP womp. 

*I like the Habanero and the Jalapeño Yellowbird, but they're a little sweeter than I expected. Need to gather more data, but after slathering my enchiladas at dinner tonight, I don't know that it's going to be a constant presence in my stable. 

20210309_175549.jpg

I’ve tried all the yellowbird and the only one I repeatedly buy is Serrano. Which I use on everything. Let me know how similar it is to secret aardvark, please. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve tried all the yellowbird and the only one I repeatedly buy is Serrano. Which I use on everything. Let me know how similar it is to secret aardvark, please. 

secret aardvark is a more unique taste to me, but i love it. i have been wanting to try their serrabano version but haven't ordered it for whatever reason

///

i think i have posted about them before, but char man is currently my favorite brand right now.

https://www.instagram.com/charmanbrand/?hl=en

their verde, picante and carribean are pretty damn good. plus he does seasonal sauces too. just finished this one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMOFrgWAdh2/

which is "mexican candy" flavored - tamarind, scorpion pepper, piloncillo and sour apple

i thnk their other seasonal ones are Lemon Fatali, Blueberry Pomegranate & Spicy Sriracha

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Will do, but it might be a while - these bottles are fairly large, and it could turn out that I like both of the open bottles well enough to continue allowing them refrigerator space but not well enough to finish either bottle very quickly...

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not similar at all.  Aardvark is a unique flavor.  It's a lot hotter than Serrano Yellowbird, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

All I could find was this:

71RI2S9hFYL._SL1500_.jpg

It isn't that hot.  It isn't that habanero forward.  But it is quite tasty.

Yep, that’s the one i had in mind that isn’t very hot, just delicious. I have a bottle in my fridge currently as well. Belizean Heat is probably my favorite spice level, I’d recommend that if you can find it. 

I'm a huge fan of Marie Sharp's.

But, when I was in St Maarten over Christmas we had a lot of the Matouks, both West Indian and the Calypso...All the BBQ places and Lolos had this as a condiment.  Came home and ordered some from Amazon.

81DwoiWj4NL._SL1500_.jpg

We also hung out at Fat Tony's most nights and he's got a couple of hot sauces that he makes.  Both are great.

The Regular is great on EVERYTHING.  Wings, meat, bloody mary's, as a dipping sauce for fries, etc...

160030112_1820197564816136_6170159891944

He's also got a Mango Habanero that rocks...

159166869_1820801124755780_7080264975650

I grabbed 6 bottles of the Regular before we left...he was out of the mango...

Taking the afternoon off and I'm too drunk to process everything in this thread.  But it's making me want to buy some new hot sauce.  Marie Sharp's has been my go to since we went to Belize about 4 years ago, so I'm covered there.  What am I buying?  Needs to be Amazon, cause I'm not making it to the store.  

23 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Taking the afternoon off and I'm too drunk to process everything in this thread.  But it's making me want to buy some new hot sauce.  Marie Sharp's has been my go to since we went to Belize about 4 years ago, so I'm covered there.  What am I buying?  Needs to be Amazon, cause I'm not making it to the store.  

I've got a lot of the hot sauces in this thread and, just generally speaking without going into specific flavors, I rank them...

1 - Marie Sharps

2 - Melindas

3 - everything else

Here's my current collection...

0pDcb6.jpg

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I've got a lot of the hot sauces in this thread and, just generally speaking without going into specific flavors, I rank them...

1 - Marie Sharps

2 - Melindas

3 - everything else

0pDcb6.jpg

for some dumb reason i have never tried cholula chipolte and am going to rectify this next time i go to HEB

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That Cholula chili garlic sounds pretty great.

Hey, speaking of...didn't you have one back thread that you swear by that I don't have?  I looked back but I can't find it.  I wanna try that.  Or am I thinking of someone else?

Although, I think if I order any more hot sauces, my wife will have me committed.  She just said yesterday when I was taking that picture that I need to pick a few and throw the rest away.

That's kind of the conundrum about hot sauces.  I want to try them all, but the only way to really do that is to buy them all.  That pic I posted doesn't count the other 10 or so that I have at the boat dock.  So I probably have around 30 different sauces in my collection.  And then at the end of the day, truth be told, I could easily live with just 3 or 4 of them.  Most end up being a total waste of money because I don't really ever go back to them and always end up just going with the couple I like the most.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Hey, speaking of...didn't you have one back thread that you swear by that I don't have?  I looked back but I can't find it.  I wanna try that.  Or am I thinking of someone else?

Although, I think if I order any more hot sauces, my wife will have me committed.  She just said yesterday when I was taking that picture that I need to pick a few and throw the rest away.

That's kind of the conundrum about hot sauces.  I want to try them all, but the only way to really do that is to buy them all.  That pic I posted doesn't count the other 10 or so that I have at the boat dock.  So I probably have around 30 different sauces in my collection.  And then at the end of the day, truth be told, I could easily live with just 3 or 4 of them.  Most end up being a total waste of money because I don't really ever go back to them and always end up just going with the couple I like the most.

Probably Lola's?

f2fdcca75bad47479284cf798c13e00a_550x.jp

Speaking of which, I need to re-up.  I've been working on my Marie Sharp's, but I could slam some Lola's on leftover Easter Eggs next week.  Ironically you mention having extra hot sauces at the boat dock, because that's how I discovered Lola's.  My MIL just randomly grabbed it off the shelf to keep at their boat dock because I like hot sauce.

I also just discovered that Lola's is out of Des Moines, so that's cool too.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

17 hours ago, Landomatic said:

1 - Marie Sharps

2 - Melindas

3 - everything else

0pDcb6.jpg

I spy that Truff in your upper right hand corner.  My wife recently brought the black one home.  I'm a fan.  But mixing it into my savory oatmeal instead of rooster siracha.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I spy that Truff in your upper right hand corner.  My wife recently brought the black one home.  I'm a fan.  But mixing it into my savory oatmeal instead of rooster siracha.

I find it good in small doses but it will turn anything you put it on into a straight up truffle hot sauce dish.  Can be a little overpowering.  No background flavor or just a hint of anything with that shit.  I would NOT buy more than one bottle at a time (like my dumbass did).

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Probably Lola's?

Speaking of which, I need to re-up.  I've been working on my Marie Sharp's, but I could slam some Lola's on leftover Easter Eggs next week.  Ironically you mention having extra hot sauces at the boat dock, because that's how I discovered Lola's.  My MIL just randomly grabbed it off the shelf to keep at their boat dock because I like hot sauce.

Yep, that's the one.  And I guess the boat dock thing settles it.  That's like fate or some shit.  I need to buy some.  Wife will just have to get over it.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I find it good in small doses but it will turn anything you put it on into a straight up truffle hot sauce dish.  Can be a little overpowering.  No background flavor or just a hint of anything with that shit.  I would NOT buy more than one bottle at a time (like my dumbass did).

I'm definitely not dousing anything with it.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

for some dumb reason i have never tried cholula chipolte and am going to rectify this next time i go to HEB

Let me know. The only time I've ventured outside of regular Cholula is for their lime version, and that shit is terrible and has been sitting in my fridge for 2-3 years now. 

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

It's good, but I find the difference between the Cholula flavors to be pretty negligible compared to some other brands.

See above. 

The beware and belizean heat are by far the best of the Marie sharps ive had. Have not had the smokin Marie’s but will get it if I ever see it. Honestly outside of that and the “regular” hot sauces, aardvark and torchys Diablo are the only ones I find worth keeping on hand that are out of the ordinary. Oh and the El Yucateco stuff. That’s my breakfast/eggs go-to. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

One of the covid casualties is firehouse subs used to have a decent hot sauce rack that was self serve. It varied by location but was great for using as a taste tester, last time I went it was removed. It was the main reason I’d eat there honestly.

• Like 1

My go-to sauces are our local Torchbearer Garlic Reaper and Zombie Apocalypse. They’re great guys who I’ve known since they started TB and have become pretty famous, especially since they’re now a staple on First We Feast’s Hot Ones. You can get them on Amazon I think, well worth trying. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

14 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

My go-to sauces are our local Torchbearer Garlic Reaper and Zombie Apocalypse. They’re great guys who I’ve known since they started TB and have become pretty famous, especially since they’re now a staple on First We Feast’s Hot Ones. You can get them on Amazon I think, well worth trying. 

Do you know which “level” they are ok hot ones? Those interviews are hilarious. 

Threw my “secret armadillo” or “secret aardvark” or whatever the hell it’s called, into the trash tonight. It was beyond meh. Like really really meh. Honestly, at the end of the day, that’s some of the yankiest shit I’ve ever had. And anyone who recommended it in this thread, you should have your man card and your Texas card revoked.  Smfh

On 3/27/2021 at 7:58 PM, bluto said:

One of the covid casualties is firehouse subs used to have a decent hot sauce rack that was self serve. It varied by location but was great for using as a taste tester, last time I went it was removed. It was the main reason I’d eat there honestly.

We’re visiting my son, and while he and I were at the Hy-Vee to get some beer and horseradish yesterday, for some weird reason, I asked him if the Firehouse Subs near his house still has all the Melinda’s, etc. hot sauces. He said they do.

Last time I was there, I had some turkey-bacon-jalapeño sub and put Melinda’s mango-habanero sauce on it:

7282-B672-7-F56-4-DF5-BA7-C-552-C4834-B8
Not particularly hot, but tasty. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 3/26/2021 at 8:06 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Probably Lola's?

I also just discovered that Lola's is out of Des Moines, so that's cool too.

Had this with my eggs yesterday.  That is a damn tasty sauce.  It’s not very hot, but it has great flavor.  It’s almost more like an additional ingredient to cook with than an actual hot sauce in the traditional way I normally use hot sauce. Will definitely keep it in the rotation.

On 3/26/2021 at 6:38 AM, Landomatic said:

It's good, but I find the difference between the Cholula flavors to be pretty negligible compared to some other brands.

picked up some this weekend and it's actually pretty damn good. thanks for sharing the cholula chipolte!