Favorite Hot Sauce

nivek3

On 3/28/2021 at 7:59 PM, Landomatic said:

Threw my “secret armadillo” or “secret aardvark” or whatever the hell it’s called, into the trash tonight. It was beyond meh. Like really really meh. Honestly, at the end of the day, that’s some of the yankiest shit I’ve ever had. And anyone who recommended it in this thread, you should have your man card and your Texas card revoked.  Smfh

Eat taint, fool! 

20210404_141531.jpg

*I'm about to toss my Jalapeño and Habanero Yellowbirds - shit tastes like an Odwalla smoothie to me.

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Eat taint, fool! 

20210404_141531.jpg

*I'm about to toss my Jalapeño and Habanero Yellowbirds - shit tastes like an Odwalla smoothie to me.

The yellow bird sauces are gross to me. Aardvark blows that, and the Melindas while I’m at it, out of the water. The only hot sauce named after a woman I eat is Marie sharps. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/6/2018 at 8:45 PM, nivek3 said:

I am not a big into over-powering heat or spice just for the sake of it, but I do enjoy a little hot sauce added here and there. Especially to say a burrito, beans, chili, cabbage, or jambalaya. My go to sauce has always been Tabasco or Huy Fong Sriracha, but a few years back on a visit to Portland I noticed a lot of the places I was eating at had a sauce on the table I had never heard of. It is now my favorite hot sauce, Secret Aardvark or as they called it "Aardvark Sauce". If you have never tried it I highly recommend it. It is a habanero sauce and has some heat, but it is not overpowering. And damn is it good. So with that I am interested in any suggestions on any other hot sauces or spices my brothers think are worthy for the kitchen.

And not that I condone alcohol or drug use, but if you happen to have consumed either prior and listening to the Rolling Stones "She's A Rainbow" while trying Aardvark Sauce for the first time, I can personally guarantee you will be hooked. (Yes it has to be this specific song, it just works.)  :P

Aardvark_2048x.JPG?v=1511477687

I picked up a bottle of this today (of all places fucking Lowes!) since it was getting high reviews....It certainly did NOT disappoint!!! Great flavor/little bite. Good shit!

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t trust Marie Sharp’s. I noticed they carry three varieties of habanero sauce at my nearest Kroger. If you sell a mild habanero sauce then I’m not convinced your “hot” habanero sauce is going to be all that hot. They also carry an extra hot variety that includes “capsicum” on the ingredient list. So an extract or concentrate of some kind. At least the first two ingredients are chile peppers and vinegar but the sodium content rises with each step up the heat scale. 

BF527F63-83AA-4F75-B062-68E0E89E6B7F.jpeg

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t trust Marie Sharp’s. I noticed they carry three varieties of habanero sauce at my nearest Kroger. If you sell a mild habanero sauce then I’m not convinced your “hot” habanero sauce is going to be all that hot. They also carry an extra hot variety that includes “capsicum” on the ingredient list. So an extract or concentrate of some kind. At least the first two ingredients are chile peppers and vinegar but the sodium content rises with each step up the heat scale. 

I don’t trust someone from fucking Ohio who doesn’t trust great hot sauce

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Landomatic said:

I don’t trust someone from fucking Ohio who doesn’t trust great hot sauce

I’ve noticed that Texans seem to be more timid than I would’ve expected when it comes to spicy heat. I’ve seen posts by people saying they think jalapeños are too hot and they don’t understand eating anything that’s so hot it makes their taste buds go numb.

Is Marie Sharp’s hotter than habanero Tabasco? Because if it’s not then I have no use for it. Habanero Tabasco tastes great and while it’s a little lower on the heat scale than I’d prefer, it’s consistent and convenient and a decent value. I have to drive downtown to pick up my favorite habanero hot sauce and it’s not as good as it used to be since they were bought out by a bigger company.

There’s not a chance in hell that you’re a better judge of hot sauce than I am nor that you have a higher heat tolerance than I do. So fuck off with your elitist bullshit. 

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve noticed that Texans seem to be more timid than I would’ve expected when it comes to spicy heat. I’ve seen posts by people saying they think jalapeños are too hot and they don’t understand eating anything that’s so hot it makes their taste buds go numb.

Is Marie Sharp’s hotter than habanero Tabasco? Because if it’s not then I have no use for it. Habanero Tabasco tastes great and while it’s a little lower on the heat scale than I’d prefer, it’s consistent and convenient and a decent value. I have to drive downtown to pick up my favorite habanero hot sauce and it’s not as good as it used to be since they were bought out by a bigger company.

There’s not a chance in hell that you’re a better judge of hot sauce than I am nor that you have a higher heat tolerance than I do. So fuck off with your elitist bullshit. 

Value?  On hot sauce?  How do you even calculate that?  Price per drop?  Damn you seem poor.

• Haha 1

2b39c8d28a08729fd1be56626720cbbe.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Do you even ohio higher heat tolerance and better judge bro?

I unfortunately live in Ohio also (missing home all the time)...And I just tried the Marie Sharps that I bought the other day. Now I have been somewhat of an aficionado of hot sauces for some years now due to my travels. And I can honestly say that the Habanero Marie Sharps is one of the best sauces that I have every tried. It has a nice little bit but it is packed with flavor! I love ass burning sauces but this sauce is the one that I can put on ANYTHING! Definitely a top 3 sauce of all time! 

Edited by WillUSAF
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I do not agree. If you try the sauce you will see that it is one of the best sauces on the market. I have never heard of it until hearing about it here. I took a chance and bought a bottle (Habanero) and it DID NOT disappoint.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, WillUSAF said:

I unfortunately live in Ohio also (missing home all the time)...And I just tried the Marie Sharps that I bought the other day. Now I have been somewhat of an aficionado of hot sauces for some years now due to my travels. And I can honestly say that the Habanero Marie Sharps is one of the best sauces that I have every tried. It has a nice little bit but it is packed with flavor! I love ass burning sauces but this sauce is the one that I can put on ANYTHING! Definitely a top 3 sauce of all time! 

For those who love jerk seasoning, this one is aces.  No garbage ingredients.  Not super hot, so if you like yours to take your head off, you'll have to amp it up a bit.  I think it's perfect as is.  They also make a bunch of different hot sauces and marinades, but this is the only one I've tried.

Slide 1

Walkerswood Caribbean Foods

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WillUSAF said:

I do not agree. If you try the sauce you will see that it is one of the best sauces on the market. I have never heard of it until hearing about it here. I took a chance and bought a bottle (Habanero) and it DID NOT disappoint.

If I try it, and it’s weak, I’ll rail all over you posers. I’ve noticed a conspicuous absence of anyone comparing it to habanero Tabasco, which I asked about. Maybe that’s too hot for you to handle.

I’m speaking to a community that also recommended this abomination:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzQDOKkSANzUv6PAfsp

Good lord did that stuff suck. 

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If I try it, and it’s weak, I’ll rail all over you posers. I’ve noticed a conspicuous absence of anyone comparing it to habanero Tabasco, which I asked about. Maybe that’s too hot for you to handle.

I’m speaking to a community that also recommended this abomination:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzQDOKkSANzUv6PAfsp

Good lord did that stuff suck. 

Habanero Tabasco?!?! If you think you can handle hot and are picking Tabasco one might want to look in the mirror for the poser. Have you seen my recent post of the sauces that I have picked up? Put on your big boy pants if you want.

16 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wait...you were serious about the Tabasco?  I thought that was sarcasm.

e429c10d54f4ab6e005f4e2fd11a565a.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, WillUSAF said:

Habanero Tabasco?!?! If you think you can handle hot and are picking Tabasco one might want to look in the mirror for the poser. Have you seen my recent post of the sauces that I have picked up? Put on your big boy pants if you want.

You apparently haven’t been paying attention. I’m only asking if Marie Sharp’s “hot” habanero sauce is hotter than habanero Tabasco. I’m betting it’s not. And that habanero Tabasco is probably hotter than the average poster on this thread can handle. I’ve explicitly stated that I don’t think it’s all that hot. It’s basically my low threshold of feeling any heat. But it tastes really good. When habanero sauces became all the rage, they took their time, only releasing theirs a couple years after everyone else did. They did it right 

Are you telling me Marie Sharp’s is hotter than habanero Tabasco? Are you ready to commit to that assertion? Habanero Tabasco isn’t hotter than Krakatoa sauce but I have to drive downtown for Krakatoa and only a couple miles to pick up habanero Tabasco  

I like heat, but I like flavor first. It’s easy to make things hot. It’s harder to make them hot and taste good at the same time. I’m not into heat for heat’s sake but nothing beats scorching heat that tastes great.

The hottest and best tasting I ever had was the “thermonuclear” sauce from Johnson’s Ribs from, I want to say, Norfolk, VA who used to run the rib circuit. They were a fixture at the local jazz and rib fest every year. I’d wager you couldn’t handle it. It was incendiary. It tasted so good, and their ribs were big and meaty. As long as you kept eating, it wasn’t so bad. But as soon as you stopped, the heat really came on. Your nose would run and your neck would sweat. (Well, that happened anyway. I always made sure to get extra napkins.)

But then, when you were done, the secret was to just enjoy the burn. It’s phantom pain, a chemical reaction that fools us into thinking we’re feeling actual pain, the sort we’ve evolved to warn us against things that might cause real physical harm. But it’s an illusion. Then the endorphins kick in. I’ve never experienced that from any bottled sauce. I don’t know what their secret was. Maybe chocolate habaneros, maybe an extract or concentrate. It was a brown sauce. They used to make you sign a waiver exempting them from liability when you ordered them but that was just a marketing gimmick. They didn’t check your ID and didn’t notice if you signed your name as “John Q. Public.”

Then for some reason they changed their thermonuclear sauce. It went from brown to red and became much more mild. I don’t know why. That had to have been a decade ago or more. But I think you would’ve gone crying to your mommy or called 911 if you ever tried them at their hottest. Poser. 

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You apparently haven’t been paying attention. I’m only asking if Marie Sharp’s “hot” habanero sauce is hotter than habanero Tabasco. I’m betting it’s not. And that habanero Tabasco is probably hotter than the average poster on this thread can handle. I’ve explicitly stated that I don’t think it’s all that hot. It’s basically my low threshold of feeling any heat. But it tastes really good. When habanero sauces became all the rage, they took their time, only releasing theirs a couple years after everyone else did. They did it right 

Are you telling me Marie Sharp’s is hotter than habanero Tabasco? Are you ready to commit to that assertion? Habanero Tabasco isn’t hotter than Krakatoa sauce but I have to drive downtown for Krakatoa and only a couple miles to pick up habanero Tabasco  

I like heat, but I like flavor first. It’s easy to make things hot. It’s harder to make them hot and taste good at the same time. I’m not into heat for heat’s sake but nothing beats scorching heat that tastes great.

The hottest and best tasting I ever had was the “thermonuclear” sauce from Johnson’s Ribs from, I want to say, Norfolk, VA who used to run the rib circuit. They were a fixture at the local jazz and rib fest every year. I’d wager you couldn’t handle it. It was incendiary. It tasted so good, and their ribs were big and meaty. As long as you kept eating, it wasn’t so bad. But as soon as you stopped, the heat really came on. Your nose would run and your neck would sweat. (Well, that happened anyway. I always made sure to get extra napkins.)

But then, when you were done, the secret was to just enjoy the burn. It’s phantom pain, a chemical reaction that fools us into thinking we’re feeling actual pain, the sort we’ve evolved to warn us against things that might cause real physical harm. But it’s an illusion. Then the endorphins kick in. I’ve never experienced that from any bottled sauce. I don’t know what their secret was. Maybe chocolate habaneros, maybe an extract or concentrate. It was a brown sauce. They used to make you sign a waiver exempting them from liability when you ordered them but that was just a marketing gimmick. They didn’t check your ID and didn’t notice if you signed your name as “John Q. Public.”

Then for some reason they changed their thermonuclear sauce. It went from brown to red and became much more mild. I don’t know why. That had to have been a decade ago or more. But I think you would’ve gone crying to your mommy or called 911 if you ever tried them at their hottest. Poser. 

All of the Marie sharps sauces are delicious but they vary in heat. Go for the “Belizean Heat” or the “Beware” with the red label if you want their really hot ones. The white label doesn’t seem to have that much of a kick to it. Probably about the same or slightly more than regular Tabasco. I can’t compare to habanero Tabasco because I don’t use Tabasco because it tastes like shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For those who love jerk seasoning, this one is aces.  No garbage ingredients.  Not super hot, so if you like yours to take your head off, you'll have to amp it up a bit.  I think it's perfect as is.  They also make a bunch of different hot sauces and marinades, but this is the only one I've tried.

Slide 1

Walkerswood Caribbean Foods

This stuff is great. It’s a marinade, not a sauce. This has come up before; I’m not sure if it was here or on shaggy. But you want to marinate it overnight and make sure to wipe the excess off your chicken before you throw it on the grill or the skin won’t get crispy. It’s a pretty thick paste.

I’ve got a couple bottles of their hot sauce. Their Jamaican “Fire Stick” pepper sauce is tasty and hot. I haven’t opened the bottle of their scotch bonnet pepper sauce yet. COVID killed my BBQ plans over a year ago and both the marinade and scotch bonnet sauce have been sitting idle during all that time.

Also, the sauces have corn starch and xanthum gum and preservatives and, while I’m not strictly against those things, or tomatoes as ingredients in hot sauces, I’m a little bit biased against them and tend to favor sauces that are made from just peppers, vinegar, and maybe some spices. 

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This stuff is great. It’s a marinade, not a sauce.

I didn't say it was a sauce.  I was just pointing out a different jerk angle than I had seen on this thread.

By the way, they have two "hot" versions -- the one I linked ("seasoning") and a "marinade" as well, which allegedly does its thing in an hour or so.  They also have a "mild" seasoning.  I'm going to try blending the two for a couple of family members who don't like too much heat.

And yeah, I agree, if you're doing whole chicken or skin-on parts, wipe off the seasoning before grilling.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/5/2021 at 10:24 AM, CooterBrown said:

This stuff from San Antonio is oddly addictive. It's not overly spicy but it is extremely rich tasting with many layers of flavor.  My initial reaction was I didn't really care for it but kept using it and now I use it often.  Goes great with grilled meats.

41tfRvjKXsL.jpg

I couldn't get into the two Humble House sauces I bought. Got this one above, which my wife likes a lot, and the Habanero and Aji Amarillo. There's just too much going on with both of these and not enough heat. 

On 3/28/2021 at 11:56 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

We’re visiting my son, and while he and I were at the Hy-Vee to get some beer and horseradish yesterday, for some weird reason, I asked him if the Firehouse Subs near his house still has all the Melinda’s, etc. hot sauces. He said they do.

Last time I was there, I had some turkey-bacon-jalapeño sub and put Melinda’s mango-habanero sauce on it:

7282-B672-7-F56-4-DF5-BA7-C-552-C4834-B8
Not particularly hot, but tasty. 

Very little kick, but pretty good flavor for a sweeter hot sauce. My only complaint is that the sauce is too thick for the little hole at the top so it's tough to get it to come out of the jar.

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

My only complaint is that the sauce is too thick for the little hole at the top so it's tough to get it to come out of the jar.

I know what you mean about the little shaker top hole. I just bought this (damn good stuff), so maybe they are doing away with shaker bottles in favor of squeeze bottles. The only problem with this bottle was the top was hard to get off using fingers alone. Probably an outlier (or I’m getting old and frail). 
3-A550-C29-D4-F1-4632-887-D-BF5891-ED4-A

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Marie Sharp's is awesome.  Got my first bottle last week.  Also went and grabbed a bottle of Lola's off this thread's recommendations.  Not my cup of tea.  The one I go through the fastest has to be Crystal extra hot.  And WillUSAF - have you tried the sauce you got, Sling Blade, yet?  Another one of my favorites. But my absolute favorite - and I think I've mentioned it here before - is Penitente, http://montezumabrand.com/new-products/penitente-tortured-soul-hot-sauce/

On 4/12/2021 at 10:19 AM, jimmyjazz said:

And yeah, I agree, if you're doing whole chicken or skin-on parts, wipe off the seasoning before grilling.

Also, thin out the marinade with something like coconut oil, lime juice, vinegar, etc.   That info isn't on the bottle but every single recipe on their website says to do that.

It's great even if you don't but it does seem to turn out a bit better with a mix of coconut oil and lime juice which is what I use.

• Hook 'Em 1

This was gifted to me and came from a roadside stand..  It's damn good.  Interesting flavor and HOT.  Not the kind of hot that makes you jump up, but the kind of hot that builds up slowly and stays with you a long time.

Modes Hot Sauce.jpg

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

This was gifted to me and came from a roadside stand..  It's damn good.  Interesting flavor and HOT.  Not the kind of hot that makes you jump up, but the kind of hot that builds up slowly and stays with you a long time.

Modes Hot Sauce.jpg

The ingredient list looks like somebody in North Dakota mixed some peppers unknown to them.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Marie Sharp's is awesome.  Got my first bottle last week.  Also went and grabbed a bottle of Lola's off this thread's recommendations.  Not my cup of tea.  The one I go through the fastest has to be Crystal extra hot.  And WillUSAF - have you tried the sauce you got, Sling Blade, yet?  Another one of my favorites. But my absolute favorite - and I think I've mentioned it here before - is Penitente, http://montezumabrand.com/new-products/penitente-tortured-soul-hot-sauce/

Yes I have. It has a bite from the vinegar up front. The heat is not immediate but when it hits it burns all the way down. It is has a good burn for Reaper sauce but it is not the hottest I have ever had. The flavor of it is really good. I would buy it again.

18 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Just saw that Marie Sharps has a new limited edition sauce

redhornetmeredithfixed_5000x.png?v=16189

https://mariesharpsusa.com/collections/store/products/new-red-hornet-pepper-sauce-limited-edition-marie-s-hottest

Made with a Red Hornet pepper which is a cross between a scotch bonnet and a Carolina Reaper...

I’m in!  Any scotch bonnet sauce I’ve ever had has been good.  It’s like habanero with a smooth citrus taste, my favorite pepper by far.  

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, WillUSAF said:

GREAT sauce!!! I love the bite this one has

I recently used it on Kenji’s green chili chicken recipe that SydneyCarton posted on page 2 of the Insta Pot thread. My wife wants me to tone down the heat of most spicy hot recipes (if you consider that recipe hot), so I usually try different hot sauces to bring it up to my desired level of heat. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I recently used it on Kenji’s green chili chicken recipe that SydneyCarton posted on page 2 of the Insta Pot thread. My wife wants me to tone down the heat of most spicy hot recipes (if you consider that recipe hot), so I usually try different hot sauces to bring it up to my desired level of heat. 

I have to do the same thing. My wife can not do heat at all.

On 4/22/2021 at 1:01 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

My wife thinks paprika and black pepper are hot. She claims that she's become increasingly less tolerant of spicy hot food over the years, but she's always been the barely-dip-a-corner-of-the-chip-in-the-salsa type.

Our wives are from the same mold. I have to watch the black pepper in my cooking. Hell my wife will not touch salsa. At our go-to Mexican restaurant she won't do the chips and salsa they bring to the table!