Favorite Hot Sauce

nivek3

On 4/22/2021 at 10:42 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’ll have to try that since this is one of my favorites:

C11-F9-E08-08-C0-4-B3-A-8505-7-C4517601-

This stuff is pretty good. It’s good and hot. I’m not crazy that it has a bunch of ingredients that in a perfect world I’d prefer to avoid. Like acetic acid as a pH control agent, “hydrogenate canola oil,” citric acid, sodium benzoate (as a preservative), and xanthum gum as a “stabilizer.” Not to mention water and tomato sauce instead of vinegar. But it tastes pretty good and it’s got good heat. I mostly add it to refried beans or anything with a green sauce or tacos with onions and cilantro.

I’m skeptical about Melinda’s XXX Hot Sauce because they sell it at my local Giant Eagle which doesn’t even sell Pace Hot Picante Sauce. They generally don’t carry anything that’s all that hot. I have to go to the La Michoacana Mexican grocery for the El Yucateco hot sauces. But this is definitely my favorite of those (and I’ve tried a bunch of them). I’d like to find something with a more natural, less processed list of ingredients.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/12/2021 at 9:03 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

This stuff is great. It’s a marinade, not a sauce. This has come up before; I’m not sure if it was here or on shaggy. But you want to marinate it overnight and make sure to wipe the excess off your chicken before you throw it on the grill or the skin won’t get crispy. It’s a pretty thick paste.

Just mix it 50/50 with olive oil and you don't have to do any of that stuff.  Just marinate, cook and eat.

I picked up a bottle of this:

1218__24421.1561922116.jpg?c=2

Sorry to “shit on” the hot sauce thread but it’s not that hot. And it’s chewy. You can see the pepper flakes in the photo. And there are other chunky bits in it. I’m not fond of the flavor. As heat goes it’s hotter than habanero Tabasco, nowhere near as hot as the El Yucateco XXX sauce, and no hotter than this:

Habanero-HS.jpg

The heat in the Marie Sharp’s sauce comes at you all at once. The heat in the Montezuma sauce grows on you. It gets hotter as time goes by. I like that. My biggest complaint about the Montezuma sauce is that it’s too vinegary. I prefer vinegar-based hot sauces but this is a little stronger than I would prefer. If you like Texas Pete hot sauce then you might love this. That was the most vinegary hot sauce I’d encountered before. My friend who I used to cat-sit for when he was out of town had a bottle in the door of his fridge and I could smell the vinegar even from the sealed bottle. (The cat died recently.)

I have a bottle of this but I think it’s a little too salty. I’m thinking of mixing the remaining half bottle with the remaining half bottle of Montezuma:

th?id=OIP.Vm93Q6-xEZk-E_3lTxtDogHaHa&pid

I’m probably going to throw the Marie Sharp’s away. (Sorry if that hurts your feelings, Marie snowflakes.) One thing I noticed is that the top of the Marie Sharp’s bottle stays clean. From Tabasco to Crystal to Louisiana to CaJohns to Montezuma and all of my favorite sauces, some pepper substance collects at the top of the bottle. I don’t think that’s a bad thing and I don’t mind using a toothpick occasionally to clean it up. If the top of your bottle stays clean then you’re adding some sort of anti-coagulant and I don’t need that.

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Also, try this. I dare you. It tastes great. It’s hotter than the El Yucateco  XXX. I first bought it at a  hot sauce store at a mall in South Bend.

1321.jpg?v=1594127747

i've literally never heard anyone say that Da Bomb "tastes great" until today.

I started packing my Marie Sharp's in my work cooler to throw on the ham and cheese sack lunch sandwiches I eat for dinner whilst farming for long hours.  Definitely making me look forward to those things a bit more (also packing some mustard in the cooler too).

44 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Says the guy from the Midwest...

I have a hard time calling Ohio the Midwest.  It's closer to the Atlantic Ocean than the Mississippi.  Not sure why the "Midwest" label was ever attached to a place that's so solidly in the northeastern part of the country in literal geographic terms.

When my buddy and I went to Akron for ISU's game there in 2017, it took just as long to get there as it does to get to Dallas.

23 minutes ago, NoName said:

Exactly.  On Hot Ones they admit that they use it because it is pure pain and marks the transition from the friendly hot sauces to the truly hot ones.  But nobody likes it.  They all say it tastes like shit.

It tastes horrible. It’s just pure heat during a Hot Ones progression. Admittedly I had Bomb Evolution, but there was nothing redeeming about it.
80fb88063f9c0de844f91eb802121a1a.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2021 at 10:59 PM, ERhine said:

It tastes horrible. It’s just pure heat during a Hot Ones progression. Admittedly I had Bomb Evolution, but there was nothing redeeming about it.
80fb88063f9c0de844f91eb802121a1a.jpg

Maybe you’re just a lightweight who can’t handle a little heat. I can’t say anything about the bottle you’re showing there. And I think I made it clear before that the Da Bomb I had before was an extract/concentrate. And you’re not from New Mexico. My observation has been that folks from Texas are no more tolerant to heat than folks from the Midwest. And I’ll put my palate up against any of “your’n.” Back before Johnson’s Ribs of Norfolk, VA changed their thermonuclear sauce, it probably would’ve killed you.

But I can tell you, just by looking at those bottles, that the ones that look clean at the top are the last ones I’d try. Geography doesn’t make you better at appreciating hot sauce. 

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe you’re just a lightweight who can’t handle a little heat. I can’t say anything about the bottle you’re showing there. And I think I made it clear before that the Da Bomb I had before was an extract/concentrate. And you’re not from New Mexico. My observation has been that folks from Texas are no more tolerant to heat than folks from the Midwest. And I’ll put my palate up against any of “your’n.” Back before Johnson’s Ribs of Norfolk, VA changed their thermonuclear sauce, it probably would’ve killed you.

But I can tell you, just by looking at those bottles, that the ones that look clean at the top are the last ones I’d try. Geography doesn’t make you better at appreciating hot sauce. 

You sure talk a lotta shit for a guy who listed Tabasco as your baseline go-to hot sauce a few pages back

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116e5734132fb28d2ef1

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

you are making a ton of shitty points.

literally, no one up to and including Sean Evans and any guest and anyone i know who has tried it has ever said it was good or tasted good.

seriously, this is a stupid bit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

But I can tell you, just by looking at those bottles, that the ones that look clean at the top are the last ones I’d try. Geography doesn’t make you better at appreciating hot sauce

This shit again? What a weird take. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2021 at 5:59 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I have a hard time calling Ohio the Midwest.  It's closer to the Atlantic Ocean than the Mississippi.  Not sure why the "Midwest" label was ever attached to a place that's so solidly in the northeastern part of the country in literal geographic terms.

When my buddy and I went to Akron for ISU's game there in 2017, it took just as long to get there as it does to get to Dallas.

The Northwest territory was basically everything to the north and west of the Ohio River and the frontier was basically everything between the river and the Appalachian Mountains after the Revolutionary War.  The country stopped at the Mississippi River and so Ohio and everything up to the Mississippi was the original “West.” Hence Michigan’s fight song “the victors of the West” even though it’s entirely east of the Mississippi. 

When the country opened up farther west, the former west became the Midwest.

The terms make far more sense topographically than along political state boundaries. 

On 6/15/2021 at 6:07 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

Can we all agree that Buck is a stupid motherfucker and everyone put him on ignore so we can be done with his jackassery? K thx

You want to debate him - fine, but I’m getting sick and tired of this “cancel everyone who disagrees with me” bullshit. 

He’s wrong, but he’s certainly entitled to be wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/20/2021 at 7:25 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Also, lots of folks running down OG Tabasco in this thread.

Tabasco on a greasy spoon breakfast with a side of cheap coffee is one of life’s simple pleasures.

I like Tabasco on oysters, soups, and some chili, no beans ofc.

As far as putting on sandwiches, tacos, and etc Tabasco just ruins the dish.

With that being said the following two are fantastic

Tabasco Flavors | I have never been a fan of the regular old… | Flickr