Favorite Hot Sauce

nivek3

I am not a big into over-powering heat or spice just for the sake of it, but I do enjoy a little hot sauce added here and there. Especially to say a burrito, beans, chili, cabbage, or jambalaya. My go to sauce has always been Tabasco or Huy Fong Sriracha, but a few years back on a visit to Portland I noticed a lot of the places I was eating at had a sauce on the table I had never heard of. It is now my favorite hot sauce, Secret Aardvark or as they called it "Aardvark Sauce". If you have never tried it I highly recommend it. It is a habanero sauce and has some heat, but it is not overpowering. And damn is it good. So with that I am interested in any suggestions on any other hot sauces or spices my brothers think are worthy for the kitchen.

And not that I condone alcohol or drug use, but if you happen to have consumed either prior and listening to the Rolling Stones "She's A Rainbow" while trying Aardvark Sauce for the first time, I can personally guarantee you will be hooked. (Yes it has to be this specific song, it just works.)  :P

Aardvark_2048x.JPG?v=1511477687

Do they sell that stuff here?

Sri racha of course. I usually keep some Frank’s Red Hot or Texas Pete, and Cholula or Valentina. Lately I’ve been using the Yellowbird Blue Agave Sri Racha (available at nicer HEBs - yes Brodie maybe no Slaughter), all of those are good.

Yellowbird-Condiments-19-oz.jpg

There’s another local Sri Racha with a rattlesnake or diamondback on the bottle and I don’t like it. Way too ketchupy.

• Like 1

my (fancy) HEB stopped carrying don lupe and now carry del primo.  i think it's the same stuff with a different brand name on it.  same bottle and the thermometer indicated spice level is there.  the price increased 50% (still only $1.50). still carry don lupe jalapenos. 

my current fav is Marie Sharps. Habanero sauce from Belize.

2nded. It always gets brought up in these threads after people come back from vacation or fishing trips. The green habanero and fiery red are always in my kitchen along with Crystal and usually Chipotle Tabasco, my uncle also makes dried pepper flakes every year which is a go to for pizza and Mexican food.

Been making my way through el yucateco colors after having it in S Texas a few years back, not sure which one is my favorite at the moment.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, longhorndude said:

10c8740e60371b6b19e334775aea9a48.jpg

My favorite. Has a nice kick and I can finally get it on Amazon instead of stocking up every trip thru Cancun.

My favorite too, but I dig the negra. At $7 a bottle on amazon, I'll be bringing another bagful back from Mexico. They're about $1 a bottle at Chedraui.

salsahabanerachimayschwarz.jpg

Alright so it looks like there is quit a few that likes the Marie Sharp's. On their website they show 13 different flavors. What's the best one, the Smokin’ Marie (Special Edition)? The Smoked Habanero (Special Edition) sounds awesome. I may have to get a bottle of the Chimay and try it out as well. 

SmokedHabanero-457x600.jpg

Do they sell that stuff here?

Sri racha of course. I usually keep some Frank’s Red Hot or Texas Pete, and Cholula or Valentina. Lately I’ve been using the Yellowbird Blue Agave Sri Racha (available at nicer HEBs - yes Brodie maybe no Slaughter), all of those are good.

Yellowbird-Condiments-19-oz.jpg

There’s another local Sri Racha with a rattlesnake or diamondback on the bottle and I don’t like it. Way too ketchupy.

Their habanero one is fantastic. Smothered some eggs in it this morning.

1 hour ago, nivek3 said:

Alright so it looks like there is quit a few that likes the Marie Sharp's. On their website they show 13 different flavors. What's the best one, the Smokin’ Marie (Special Edition)? The Smoked Habanero (Special Edition) sounds awesome. I may have to get a bottle of the Chimay and try it out as well. 

SmokedHabanero-457x600.jpg

Smokin’ Marie >>>> Special Edition Habanero. It’s hotter and smokier.  Seriously. Order the 3 pack from Amazon Prime. You will take one taste, and order another three bottles immediately. I have 4 in my pantry right now. 

Edited by CooterBrown

21 hours ago, nivek3 said:

I am not a big into over-powering heat or spice just for the sake of it, but I do enjoy a little hot sauce added here and there. Especially to say a burrito, beans, chili, cabbage, or jambalaya. My go to sauce has always been Tabasco or Huy Fong Sriracha, but a few years back on a visit to Portland I noticed a lot of the places I was eating at had a sauce on the table I had never heard of. It is now my favorite hot sauce, Secret Aardvark or as they called it "Aardvark Sauce". If you have never tried it I highly recommend it. It is a habanero sauce and has some heat, but it is not overpowering. And damn is it good. So with that I am interested in any suggestions on any other hot sauces or spices my brothers think are worthy for the kitchen.

And not that I condone alcohol or drug use, but if you happen to have consumed either prior and listening to the Rolling Stones "She's A Rainbow" while trying Aardvark Sauce for the first time, I can personally guarantee you will be hooked. (Yes it has to be this specific song, it just works.)  :P

Aardvark_2048x.JPG?v=1511477687

I just read about this stuff for the first time in today's LA Times, and then I click on this thread and there it is.  The guy who runs a restaurant in downtown LA's Grand Central Market was talking about how he's addicted to this stuff.  I'll have to try it.

Growing up, Trappey’s Green Magic was on the table for every meal back when it was basically jalapeño, vinegar, etc. Then they changed the recipe, added a shit ton of very long laboratory words, then eventually quit selling it altogether around 2012 or so, IIRC.

Now, I’m a pretty guy and always keep Huy Phong Sriracha, Crystal, and Herdez Guacamole Salsa (not really hot sauce, but great on eggs). I also make a lot of my own hot sauce. 

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Smokin’ Marie >>>> Special Edition Habanero. It’s hotter and smokier.  Seriously. Order the 3 pack from Amazon Prime. You will take one taste, and order another three bottles immediately. I have 4 in my pantry right now. 

Ok thanks Cooter. I just ordered Smokin’ Marie >>>> Special Edition Habanero & some Chimay as well. Should be interesting to see how they compare. I doubt I will stop using the Aardvark sauce, but hopefully I like one of these two as well. It's funny a grown man getting excited over a condiment. I'll let you guys know next week what I think of these two. 

Since we're talking about all these hot sauce varieties, what is everyone's favorite food to pair with your hot sauce of choice? I think we all know the more common things like eggs, burritos, oysters, etc. But I would be curious if there is something kinda different that you think pairs well with. I went to Babe's with a cousin one time and he recommended I cover my fried chicken with hot sauce. I had never heard of that but it was excellent. (Can't remember what the hot sauce was). Not that it is uncommon, but I always thought hot sauce complimented pulled pork tacos perfectly. Anyways, let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance, I'll hang up now and listen.

Here is a pic of my hot sauce overstock supply. I didn’t bother pulling out the 15 open ones in the fridge, but here is what I make sure to always have on hand. As you can see, I prefer the beware Variety of MS, but the all have their place. Haven’t tried the smoked versions. The small Tabasco is the Lizano brand from Costa Rica. It’s not very hot, but it has a very unique flavor that I enjoy on eggs etc.

433124a1202ab3ab6085d64ab0dc8389.jpg

Since we're talking about all these hot sauce varieties, what is everyone's favorite food to pair with your hot sauce of choice? I think we all know the more common things like eggs, burritos, oysters, etc. But I would be curious if there is something kinda different that you think pairs well with. I went to Babe's with a cousin one time and he recommended I cover my fried chicken with hot sauce. I had never heard of that but it was excellent. (Can't remember what the hot sauce was). Not that it is uncommon, but I always thought hot sauce complimented pulled pork tacos perfectly. Anyways, let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance, I'll hang up now and listen.

I use yellow bird habanero for chicken

On 4/8/2018 at 7:20 AM, nivek3 said:

I use sriracha or cholula to make savory oatmeal.  It's one of my weekday staple breakfasts.

Just use standard oatmeal, and sriracha, Cavender's Greek seasoning, shredded cheese, jalapenos, and a little A1.  It's fucking delicious and healthy.  For whatever reason, going the savory route makes it stick to my ribs better than brown sugar and fruit.

I realize I'll get a lot of flak for this, but I think everyone should try it once before dismissing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I use sriracha or cholula to make savory oatmeal.  It's one of my weekday staple breakfasts.

Just use standard oatmeal, and sriracha, Cavender's Greek seasoning, shredded cheese, jalapenos, and a little A1.  It's fucking delicious and healthy.  For whatever reason, going the savory route makes it stick to my ribs better than brown sugar and fruit.

I realize I'll get a lot of flak for this, but I think everyone should try it once before dismissing.

I'm a big fan of savory oatmeal.  I usually make mine with steel cut oats and then add a little sesame oil, soy sauce, sriracha, and green onions.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 7:20 AM, nivek3 said:

north carolina pepper sauce for pulled pork is basically hot sauce.  after making it myself from alton brown's (iirc) recipe, i decided it wasn't much different from crystal with a touch extra vinegar.  the vinegar cuts through the fattiness of the pulled pork.