Favorite Hot Sauce

nivek3

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm a big fan of savory oatmeal.  I usually make mine with steel cut oats and then add a little sesame oil, soy sauce, sriracha, and green onions.

I'll definitely try this Asian twist, as I keep all of those at home.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I use sriracha or cholula to make savory oatmeal.  It's one of my weekday staple breakfasts.

Just use standard oatmeal, and sriracha, Cavender's Greek seasoning, shredded cheese, jalapenos, and a little A1.  It's fucking delicious and healthy.  For whatever reason, going the savory route makes it stick to my ribs better than brown sugar and fruit.

I realize I'll get a lot of flak for this, but I think everyone should try it once before dismissing.

This sounds awesome actually. I love savory more than sweet. Unfortunately this is why I end up skipping breakfast so often. I will definitely be giving this one a try. Thanks for posting this one!

Ok I know I'm about to get stoned but here goes. I received my Marie Sharp's Smokin' Marie today and I have already tried it on a few things. First I will say the smokey flavor and heat are spot on, but damn is it salty! I normally do not use salt on food so I may be a little more sensitive to it, but 410mg of sodium is a fuck-ton of salt. By comparison Secret Aardvark has only 35mg  sodium. I jumped on their website and noticed the Marie Sharp's original only has 105mg, so I will be ordering this one and giving it a try. I will polish off the smokey bottle, but it will probably be the last of that flavor I try. "Would you like a little sauce with your salt sir?" Nope, I'll just eat my salt straight thank you.

On 4/7/2018 at 4:59 PM, CooterBrown said:

Smokin’ Marie >>>> Special Edition Habanero. It’s hotter and smokier.  Seriously. Order the 3 pack from Amazon Prime. You will take one taste, and order another three bottles immediately. I have 4 in my pantry right now. 

Another vote for Smokin' Marie .  I'm using it daily right now.  I keep 3-4 other varieties of Marie Sharps bottles on hand but this is the one I'm going to the most.

• Like 1

On April 6, 2018 at 7:45 PM, nivek3 said:

I am not a big into over-powering heat or spice just for the sake of it, but I do enjoy a little hot sauce added here and there. Especially to say a burrito, beans, chili, cabbage, or jambalaya. My go to sauce has always been Tabasco or Huy Fong Sriracha, but a few years back on a visit to Portland I noticed a lot of the places I was eating at had a sauce on the table I had never heard of. It is now my favorite hot sauce, Secret Aardvark or as they called it "Aardvark Sauce". If you have never tried it I highly recommend it. It is a habanero sauce and has some heat, but it is not overpowering. And damn is it good. So with that I am interested in any suggestions on any other hot sauces or spices my brothers think are worthy for the kitchen.

And not that I condone alcohol or drug use, but if you happen to have consumed either prior and listening to the Rolling Stones "She's A Rainbow" while trying Aardvark Sauce for the first time, I can personally guarantee you will be hooked. (Yes it has to be this specific song, it just works.)  :P

Aardvark_2048x.JPG?v=1511477687

i bought some of this due to the recommendations and it is very good.  bought off amazon.

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Zaaschila is good stuff. The salsa guac one I can eat on anything. 

I've been choosing the Herdez guac one lately cause it comes in bigger bottle and I churn through that shit.

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2018 at 12:32 PM, RPM said:

Sriracha is crap unless you like overwhelming garlic and vinegar. Marie Sharps FTW.

you are incorrect sir.  Sriracha is awesome.

The other sauces are good too.

My faves: Tabasco Chipotle, Cholula, Valentina, Frank's,  any of the Louisiana cheapos are great.

Hot sauce saved my marriage.  Wife could not cook for shit in the first 10 years... OMG!!!

Edited by slorch

I used to have about thirty or more bottles of hot sauce. They took up two shelves on the refrigerator door. All purchased from mail order catalogs specializing in chili spices and hot sauces. (Before internet.) Not finding hot sauce sellers on the webs other than places which sell their own products. And I'm not recognizing too many names. A couple of the scotch bonnet sauces were exercises in pain. I can't imagine ghost pepper sauce.

One favorite of mine was B.F. Trappey's Red Devil.

yoq1K1vH_o.png

Mild in comparison to many brands but flavorful and versatile. Used to keep a bottle in my desk drawer at work. Stopped buying Trappey's about twenty years ago. The recipe must have been changed. Frank's Red Hot and Louisiana Red Rooster seem to have slipped too. Bought them by the gallon and decanted into small canning jars. 

Nowadays it's Crystal and Tabasco. 

Can't vouch for the mustard version but the other three are absolutely delicious. It's probably just a private label of a commercially available hot sauce but I don't know the real brand.  Just realized these are labeled for the Lockhart Black's but I've had it at Terry Black's.

store1.jpg

Edited by CooterBrown

I'm one of those huy fong sriracha sauce freaks.  I put it on everything.  I'm very loyal to the fong brand so I havent tried all the others that have come out and he has a cool story (see documentary if you havent).  Anyway, I was in a restaurant that had the Tabasco version and it was pretty good.