Favorite Hot Sauce

nivek3

Ordered a 6-pack of this Vietnamese hot chili sauce from Amazon after seeing it on a food travel show. It is delicious and has most likely replaced Sriracha in my sauce rotation.

71G0-hp1mTL._SL1500_.jpg
Oh hell yes...ive been looking for this for years. Now if anyone can find the Huda beer also pictured.

IMG_20160409_005649.thumb.jpg.06eac78abae5637c51a25a88dfbe96c7.jpg

Just added the secret aardvark and hotter truff to the collection. Man that aardvark has so much flavor and a good heat to it. The hotter truff has a really good flavor and decent heat. 

the rest are part of my rotation. I alternate between tapatio and Valentina. I prefer the Trader Joe’s sriracha over the green cap one. Has more flavor and little less heat. 

FEA260B9-41C4-4AEA-8561-9459962180FB.jpeg

likelihood of finding cholimex at 99 ranch or h mart? 

they had this stuff in bogota called 'aji salsa brava' which i cannot find on the intertrons (partly because the name is generic as fuck).  came in a squarish bottle, bright red or maybe orange.  i'd go through a bottle (10 oz or so?) dabbing it on plain doritos when visiting my parents down there.  been 20 years, no idea if it's still made. 

Edited by elfenix

I got myself the 3 pack gift set of Truff.  It's good and all, but not really an everyday type sauce at all.  It's pretty overpowering and you have to really want whatever you're having it on to have a serious truffle flavor.  It's really almost good to add to a bite or two of something just to add some variety.  Or sometimes I'll do something like breakfast tacos 3 ways and one of them I'll make with the Truff.  But it really can't just be like a table hot sauce to put on everything.  Also, says you have to refrigerate it after opening.  That's a pain in the ass.  Three bottles takes up too much room in the refrigerator when I've got a whole cabinet space dedicated to hot sauces that they'd fit just fine in.  Not sure how necessary that is, but I decided better to be safe than sorry since it is pretty damn expensive.  

tl;dr - Should have just bought a bottle

Truff_3_pack_outside_2048x2048.jpg?v=157

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I can get this? By the gallon? Oh. My. God. I have to get a jug and use some to make sauce for Buffalo wings. There’s no way that won’t kick all sorts of ass.

I can only find 2 oz. bottles in the store. And I only know of one store that carries those.

habanero_sauce.jpg

https://countrystore.tabasco.com/products/habanero-hot-sauce

idk if i have ever seen anything other than the small ish bottles at any store. I'd just order online honestly...

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Literally the place where I found that pic. I went looking to see if it came in bigger bottles, I found that I could buy it by the gallon, and decided to post here about it. Huzzah!

1 minute ago, NoName said:

this is only hot sauce adjacent but Crystal is fucking amazing on a pulled pork sandwich.

Crystal is good. I always have a bottle on hand. Louisiana brand is hotter and has more spices. Crystal is just cayenne and vinegar. I use it more in cooking than as a condiment. But I go back and forth depending on my mood. (For Cajun/Creole dishes. I’ll use Tapatio and/or El Yucateco for Mexican dishes.) And then some habanero Tabasco usually goes on top of whatever I’m eating as well. I saw that Crystal has an “Extra Hot” variety and picked up a bottle of that. It’s not that much hotter and tastes kind of funky. It might be too vinegary. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The two I never allow myself to run out of are Valentina's and Crystal.  I keep it simple, but I ain't shy about it, either.

Curious about the Trader Joe's sriracha -- I like their jalapeno (dona style) sauce, so I need to try that.

Absolutely nothing special. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Tapatío >>> Valentina’s

Trader Joe’s hot sauces have too many artificial ingredients. (One is too many but they have more than that.)

Used to go back and forth on Tapatio v. Valentinas.  Hell, still not sure which is my favorite.

I don't think TJ's dona sauce has anything extra in it, checking the label:

JALAPEÑO PEPPERS, CANOLA OIL, ONION, SALT, CANE SUGAR, GUM ARABIC, ONION POWDER, GARLIC POWDER, CITRIC ACID (ACIDIFIER), SPICE.

I guess the gum arabic and citric acid are "artificial-ish," but meh, they really aren't a big deal.  And I do like that it keeps in my fridge for several weeks -- fresh jalapeno sauce usually turns after a week or so.

4 minutes ago, midtown said:

Pretty sure it's already on here but Marie Sharps is the freaking best.  If you don't keep it in your rotation you are missing out.  Available on Amazon FYI

I go back and forth with the Habanero and Smokin Marie

Krogers in Houston have several varieties of the Marie sharps, HEB not so much. Obviously it’s way less expensive if you can find it at the grocery store instead of having to order online. Belezian Heat or Beware Comatose are the jams. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Curious about the Trader Joe's sriracha -- I like their jalapeno (dona style) sauce, so I need to try that.

Tried it a while back when it first came out.  Wasn't bad, but I prefer the Huy Fong (or, as my uncle used to call it, "the red rooster sauce").

Edited by Carl Spackler

Pretty sure it's already on here but Marie Sharps is the freaking best.  If you don't keep it in your rotation you are missing out.  Available on Amazon FYI
I go back and forth with the Habanero and Smokin Marie

Smokin Marie is the truth. Brought back a couple of bottles from Belize about 5 years ago and have been buying the 3-pack on Amazon regularly since then. I have seen it once at Fiesta on 35.

Smokin Marie is the truth. Brought back a couple of bottles from Belize about 5 years ago and have been buying the 3-pack on Amazon regularly since then. I have seen it once at Fiesta on 35.

Maybe I got a bad batch or something but Smokin Marie was way too salty for me.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:21 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Tapatío >>> Valentina’s

Trader Joe’s hot sauces have too many artificial ingredients. (One is too many but they have more than that.)

The two aren't really the same kind of hot sauce though. 

Valentina's shines in some places Tapatio doesn't and vice versa. 

On 11/19/2020 at 4:24 PM, Chewbacca said:

It's not hot sauce, per se, but Chile Crunch is phenomenal. Great on rice, fish, edamame, etc.

My personal recommendation for spicing up rice: sambal oelek.

9a7f64b3860825d05c6933522a8bc63b3b71d820

Huy Fong (of "Rooster" sriracha fame) is easiest to find. There are many others.

It livens up most any rice-based dish. Two heaping spoonfuls on top of a bowl of pork stir-fried rice will convince you it deserves a permanent spot in the spice stable.

14 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

My personal recommendation for spicing up rice: sambal oelek.

9a7f64b3860825d05c6933522a8bc63b3b71d820

Huy Fong (of "Rooster" sriracha fame) is easiest to find. There are many others.

It livens up most any rice-based dish. Two heaping spoonfuls on top of a bowl of pork stir-fried rice will convince you it deserves a permanent spot in the spice stable.

I use a lot of this as well, but it lacks the texture (the crunch) of Chile Crunch.