Lubbock food recs

Saint Austin

West Table probably the best in town --sometimes difficult to get in. There is an attached brewpub that is decent. You can sit in the brewpup and order West Table apps if you want.

Double Nickel steak house is good. Classic feel. 

Las Brisas on the southside of town is generally good. Steaks, seafood and some fusion Mexican. The location is fairly nice. I like to sit on the patio--you get there through the bar.

Cocina Del Serena is one of my new favorites. Kinda a mix between Mexican and tapas. I had smoked quail enchiladas there a few months ago. Excellent. 

Evie Mae's and the Shack are both good for Q. Line is less long at The Shack. The Shack is also a decent place to drink beer on a Friday afternoon (if it is open).

Stellas is decent Italian, steak, seafood. Wish it weren't on 50th street. 

The Crafthouse Gastropub is good and has good beers on tap.

Down by campus for cheap, greasy eats, Spanky's is great. Get the fried cheese.

More college crowd places are: Chimy's and Crickets. Crickets gets too smokey. Bier Haus is ok. 

Newish brewpub Two Doc's. Kinda neat location. Usually food trucks there.

None of the Mexican places in town are remarkable. Montelangos probably the best but a little divey. 

I'm glad to answer any other Lubbock questions. Been here too long. 

Edited by squib
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, squib said:

West Table probably the best in town --sometimes difficult to get in. There is an attached brewpub that is decent. You can sit in the brewpup and order West Table apps if you want.

Double Nickel steak house is good. Classic feel. 

Las Brisas on the southside of town is generally good. Steaks, seafood and some fusion Mexican. The location is fairly nice. I like to sit on the patio--you get there through the bar.

Cocina Del Serena is one of my new favorites. Kinda a mix between Mexican and tapas. I had smoked quail enchiladas there a few months ago. Excellent. 

Evie Mae's and the Shack are both good for Q. Line is less long at The Shack. The Shack is also a decent place to drink beer on a Friday afternoon (if it is open).

The Crafthouse Gastropub is good and has good beers on tap.

Down by campus for cheap, greasy eats, Spanky's is great. Get the fried cheese.

More college crowd places are: Chimy's and Crickets. Crickets gets too smokey. Bier Haus is ok. 

Newish brewpub Two Doc's. Kinda neat location. Usually food trucks there.

None of the Mexican places in town are remarkable. Montelangos probably the best but a little divey. 

I'm glad to answer any other Lubbock questions. Been here too long. 

Agree on the gastropub. He does a good job with the menu and finding beers that aren’t readily available everywhere.

Why u no like Orlandos?

Edited by Iceman

6 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Agree on the gastropub. He does a good job with the menu and finding beers that aren’t readily available everywhere.

Why u no like Orlandos?

I almost put Orlandos on my list... I like it fine but seldom eat there unless my youngest daughter who really likes it demands we go. The truth is that I am just not big on Italian so I am not sure I would know good from mediocre. What I have had there is fine--and they have a cheeseburger that is actually pretty dang good. In fact, I think some mags had it rated as one of the best in Texas at one time. 

Just looked and yep:  https://www.southernliving.com/travel/texas/orlandos-italian-restaurant

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squib said:

I don't think its Stella's anymore. Parma Ristorante Itliano

Stella's is moving.

Link

The owner of Stella's, however, expects to reopen the business at a new location in the beginning of next year. That location has not yet been announced.

Edited by Bash Riprock
bin laden

2 hours ago, idahorn said:

I can recall when Stubb's was located in Lubbock.  Spent the night a couple weeks ago and had a CFS at Lytle's--and it was pretty dam good--bettr than Hoover's.

Off topic but I remember Ely and other guys brought Stubb’s to Austin. Went to that run down hotel that he was cooking at and the Lubbock guys played a show there on Sunday afternoon. Good times. 

• 2 years later...

Cotton Court restaurant is hella high for what you get. Not a fan. 

Little Woodrows on Milwaukee will likely be the busiest place in town for tonight and tomorrow. It is big and allows you to spread out. 

Newish places since my last update:

Goodline Beer Co is in Tech Terrace near campus (south on Boston from campus). I went in there last week, and the beer is good with some non-typicals. https://goodlinebeer.com/

The pizza place across the street--Capital Pizza--is pretty darn good. I have friends that buy a pizza and carry it over to Goodline.

The Reserve is in south Lubbock on Quaker. I haven't eaten there, but I hear it is good. The curb appeal is not really there.

https://thereserveculinarytavern.com/

Miguel's is on Broadway near campus and is in walking distance to several drinking spots. I went once and really liked the building and layout (it is an old, huge flower shop). The food was meh but the drinks were good. I would go back. 

https://miguelslubbock.com/

For more low key and a cool spot, you can hit up Flipper's Tavern. It is a good spot to have a beer--and they have legit good gourmet hotdogs (sausage from Jackson Bros in Post). 

https://www.facebook.com/flipperstavern/

One more: Dirk's is down in the same hood--off of Boston east of campus. You may recall that Dirk West was a cartoonist that did all those odd SWC sports cartoons. Well his grandson I believe open this restaurant. It is good--legit good steak fingers. Like legit good. 

https://www.facebook.com/DirksLBK/

Here is an example of an old Dirk

http://www.herosandwich.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/dirkwest6.jpg

Several of these places are close to Cotton Court. I would hit any of them up before I went there. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 12.24.36 PM.png

• Hook 'Em 1

I have been talked into going to the Cody Johnson concert tonight or I would likely be out at one of these places. If you can't have a fun evening or two in Lubbock then you are a stick in the mud. Now if you want a fun week in Lubbock, you are in for a beatin'.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2022 at 12:37 PM, texasdago said:

I love the Cotton Court because you walk in and you're behind the high walls of the hotel and you keep Lubbock on the outside... live music, food, drinks, fire pits, pool... no other reason to leave the hotel.  Worth the extra $$$.

welp, going to say this past weekend proved my point.  Go to the hotel, stay in there and then get out of town before sunrise.

15 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Friend of mine opened Amici’s wine bar recently. Quaint place. Good people. Charcuterie boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That place looks excellent and is not far from me. I'll be stopping by. Thanks for the heads up.