Just got robbed question

Zombie

So I'm traveling Italy and I stayed at an AirBnB near the train station in Naples. I went out to buy a beer and when I returned to my apartment just now I was thrown to the ground by two thugs who stole only my phone fortunately, which was a cheap ass unlocked $80 phone from Target. My laptop was inside fortunately  and I immediately went online and locked my debit and credit card. Anything else I should do? Assholes broke my glasses. 

You might want to reach out to the US Consulate in Naples for its assistance in reporting the crime.  In the very least, I'd think they could help point you to the ideal sources (even for medical / optical treatment if you need it) to save you some time... that's optional, since it doesn't sound like you lost anything that would have value if located and returned.

not to pile onto your paranoia but...i would contact your carrier ASAP to deactivate your number!

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ways-sim-card-hacked/

Then they can steal your phone number and link it to their own device.

This has two effects. Firstly, your real SIM card will be deactivated by your provider and will stop working. Secondly, the hacker now has control over phone calls, messages, and two-factor authentication requests sent to your phone number. This means they could have enough information to access your bank accounts, email, and more.

And they may even be able to lock you out of other accounts.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

this is why i tell everyone I know to SIM Lock their sim card.  Small inconvenience to prevent phone thieves from taking over you financial accounts.

Joke's on the thugs, though-- because surly posters have no financial accounts!  

3 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I'd pull some fresh Italian gash to make me feel better. Like three at a time. Then enjoy some wine and spaghetti.

He can’t, he canceled all his credit cards. The next post will be a request to Western Union him some money so he can eat and get back home. Don’t fall for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

Italy is a glorified Mexico. My rent car was broken into in Milan.

This times a thousand. I used to think Mexico had a slight edge over Italy, but recently they seem about the same. Go hook up with a sympathetic local, then leave before she starts throwing shit. Because she will start throwing shit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was Barcelona in April and had my phone stolen at a bar at like 3:00 a.m. Although in the moment I was pissed, it was the best thing that happened my entire two week vacation. Nothing like telling your superiors that you were robbed and therefore can only check emails a few times a day on a laptop. My advice: deactivate your phone and enjoy the solitude. There will be other phones when you get back to the U.S.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I was Barcelona in April and had my phone stolen at a bar at like 3:00 a.m. Although in the moment I was pissed, it was the best thing that happened my entire two week vacation. Nothing like telling your superiors that you were robbed and therefore can only check emails a few times a day on a laptop. My advice: deactivate your phone and enjoy the solitude. There will be other phones when you get back to the U.S.

For real.

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

not to pile onto your paranoia but...i would contact your carrier ASAP to deactivate your number!

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ways-sim-card-hacked/

Then they can steal your phone number and link it to their own device.

This has two effects. Firstly, your real SIM card will be deactivated by your provider and will stop working. Secondly, the hacker now has control over phone calls, messages, and two-factor authentication requests sent to your phone number. This means they could have enough information to access your bank accounts, email, and more.

And they may even be able to lock you out of other accounts.

Good points. Fortunately I was using a temporary European sim card I bought for the trip. So it doesn't have anything on it. I have my U.S. sim card with me still. 

Why would your superiors expect you to be working during a personal vacation?

2 hours ago, dad said:

Why would your superiors expect you to be working during a personal vacation?

Have you spent any time with those Crazy Kids from Today? You stick em right smack on the Champs motherfuckin Elysees, and they will grow distressed if they can't stumble along, chin tucked in, checking push notifications of what Jessicaaaa said about Jenniferrrr.

To be fair, the Champs Elysees is kinda boring anyway. I'll allow it.

5 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Have you spent any time with those Crazy Kids from Today? You stick em right smack on the Champs motherfuckin Elysees, and they will grow distressed if they can't stumble along, chin tucked in, checking push notifications of what Jessicaaaa said about Jenniferrrr.

To be fair, the Champs Elysees is kinda boring anyway. I'll allow it.

My kids are pretty good about that...  but when we travel I like to tell them there isn't wifi and I don't get them the intl data plan....  so they actually experience the world without stressing about whether or not their phone is charged.  We constantly point out the cellphone zombies and we have a good laugh at their expense.  They are 16 & 14.

I am very proud of my kids, especially their outlook on travel and new experiences.  We do 2 weeks in Europe and we each get a backpack and that's it as far as luggage goes.  My philosophy is take half the clothes and twice the money.  Others we travel with look like they are moving to Europe, it's pretty amusing.

2 hours ago, Loco said:

My kids are pretty good about that...  but when we travel I like to tell them there isn't wifi and I don't get them the intl data plan....  so they actually experience the world without stressing about whether or not their phone is charged.  We constantly point out the cellphone zombies and we have a good laugh at their expense.  They are 16 & 14.

I am very proud of my kids, especially their outlook on travel and new experiences.  We do 2 weeks in Europe and we each get a backpack and that's it as far as luggage goes.  My philosophy is take half the clothes and twice the money.  Others we travel with look like they are moving to Europe, it's pretty amusing.

My philosophy is no clothes and all the money, but whatever revs your engine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1