Just got robbed question

Zombie

On 11/5/2019 at 3:12 PM, crash_davis said:

this is why i tell everyone I know to SIM Lock their sim card.  Small inconvenience to prevent phone thieves from taking over you financial accounts.

I guess thieves have figured out that their victims can't put a hold on their debit card from their cell phone if they just steal the fucking cell phone.  

On 11/5/2019 at 5:28 PM, HouTex said:

Italy is a glorified Mexico. My rent car was broken into in Milan.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:32 PM, RDCanecutter said:

This times a thousand. I used to think Mexico had a slight edge over Italy, but recently they seem about the same. Go hook up with a sympathetic local, then leave before she starts throwing shit. Because she will start throwing shit.

Ummmm OK?   Where in Mexico are you going that is equivalent to Tuscany / Lakes region / Rome   Because I sure as shit want to go there.

Mexico is naturally beautiful and has good local food (if you don't get sick) but then it's basically lawless.  Back in the 80-90s, yeah, BCS was amazing outside of the big tourist towns (looking at you Cabo/SJD).    Fishing on the Sea of Cortez... I'm with you.  We used to leave 1000's of dollars worth of fishing gear out on the porch overnight, no locks on the doors etc.  But those days are gone my friend.  Last time I was in Los Barriles I felt like I was going to be murdered at any moment and that was just walking to Tio Pablos (like a block from the "resort")  They are fishing out the squid which is the backbone of the marine eco-system (for game fish at least) and they popped up a timeshare and cellphone towers...   no thanks

Maybe Los Frailes would be cool but I wouldn't risk my life for a little beach time and fishing.  But I would risk an $80 cellphone for a nice sit down meal at a Michelin stared Italian place or even for some Supli in Rome.  Fuck I'm hungy now.

On 11/5/2019 at 3:42 PM, Landomatic said:

I don’t know the answer but I know the first thing I do when I’m in a foreign country crisis situation is go to surlyhorns.com so you’re on the right path.

Weren't you the one that got taken for the scam jungle tour or whatever in Mexico that time? You should've posted a play by play here instead of saving the lives of everyone in your family. Think of the enjoyment we would've had and by the way we need more play by plays here. It's been too long since we've had a good Fitlump, Kaiser, Romeo Rose, Both Nacho, night golf with Grendel, etc type story.

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Weren't you the one that got taken for the scam jungle tour or whatever in Mexico that time? You should've posted a play by play here instead of saving the lives of everyone in your family. Think of the enjoyment we would've had and by the way we need more play by plays here. It's been too long since we've had a good Fitlump, Kaiser, Romeo Rose, Both Nacho, night golf with Grendel, etc type story.

Yeah...had we just had a cell signal in the middle of that Mexican jungle while scared shitless, clearly my first move woulda been a surly play-by-play.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Loco said:

Ummmm OK?   Where in Mexico are you going that is equivalent to Tuscany / Lakes region / Rome   Because I sure as shit want to go there.

Mexico is naturally beautiful and has good local food (if you don't get sick) but then it's basically lawless.  Back in the 80-90s, yeah, BCS was amazing outside of the big tourist towns (looking at you Cabo/SJD).    Fishing on the Sea of Cortez... I'm with you.  We used to leave 1000's of dollars worth of fishing gear out on the porch overnight, no locks on the doors etc.  But those days are gone my friend.  Last time I was in Los Barriles I felt like I was going to be murdered at any moment and that was just walking to Tio Pablos (like a block from the "resort")  They are fishing out the squid which is the backbone of the marine eco-system (for game fish at least) and they popped up a timeshare and cellphone towers...   no thanks

Maybe Los Frailes would be cool but I wouldn't risk my life for a little beach time and fishing.  But I would risk an $80 cellphone for a nice sit down meal at a Michelin stared Italian place or even for some Supli in Rome.  Fuck I'm hungy now.

Perhaps I was channeling my inner Italian drama, but I see lots of similarities in the cultures, and several towns I could have forgotten which country I was in.

--Tuscany gets a prize for sure.

--Didn't much like Roma. Airport scuzzy as hell, trash  and racist graffitti. I'd rather stick to Mexico City near the Zocalo.

--Check out colonial Mexican towns like Zacatecas, Queretaro. Pre-cartel secret paradises like the state of Colima. The Huastecas.

--Violence. Mexico loses at the moment. In the 90s it might have been more a push-- I was in Tuscany as an MP and got to hear what the Carabinieri were talking about. Of course, hanging out with cops or EMTs will make you think less of any place. But these are both old-ass places. they've been violent before, they'll be violent again, thanks largely to

--Passive cynical populations who never expect anything to work. If you butt in and make something work, they'll just resent it. Push.

--Chicks who throw shit. Push.

--Transportation. Italians do it with trains, Mexicans with fancy buses. Push.

--Kids. Mexico conquers. Are there any Italians under the age of 45? But Mexicans seem to be dropping off too. 3 kids instead of 7.

--Scooters. C'mon. Ape 3-wheelers turn the knife in Italy's favor.

So OK, I like my countries fucked up enough to be cheap, but not cannibal-crazy. Italy's maybe got a slight edge in that contest, for now. If Mexico cycles back to sanity, it's got potential.

5 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Worked with a guy that once worked for Lamborghini. He said he was in Italy and had his laptop stolen. The factory guys said “don’t worry”. They went later that day and bought it back for $70. 

Cant verify the story. 

Buddy of mine owns a home in Mexico, near the Bay of Los Angeles  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bahía+de+los+Ángeles,+Baja+California,+Mexico/@28.9514671,-113.5677862,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x81325ac60c3169df:0x2ff1faf66f692bb!8m2!3d28.9519153!4d-113.5624339

He lives in San Diego, and learned to fly and bought an airplane, just for weekend trips to the house there.  

Anyway, he goes down and his water heater is gone.  Stolen.  He asks the guy in the general store about a water heater, and he gave him the name of the handyman that worked in the area. Mike calls the guy, the guy says "Si, I can find you a water heater for x dollars".

Of course, Mike ended up buying back his own water heater. 

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Buddy of mine owns a home in Mexico, near the Bay of Los Angeles  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bahía+de+los+Ángeles,+Baja+California,+Mexico/@28.9514671,-113.5677862,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x81325ac60c3169df:0x2ff1faf66f692bb!8m2!3d28.9519153!4d-113.5624339

He lives in San Diego, and learned to fly and bought an airplane, just for weekend trips to the house there.  

Anyway, he goes down and his water heater is gone.  Stolen.  He asks the guy in the general store about a water heater, and he gave him the name of the handyman that worked in the area. Mike calls the guy, the guy says "Si, I can find you a water heater for x dollars".

Like They do in the islands, your buddy needs to hire a "gardener". They are paid to both look after the landscape/ house and make sure nothing walks off.

also why doesn't your friend just have a black rooftop tank for hot water.  Works well and I used to see them everywhere at least in southern BCS

Edited by Loco

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

That doesn't happen to just Americans either. My gf's grandmother has a podunk house in a dirt road podunk town in Zacatecas and she had some stuff stolen because she lives here now that she's elderly, but of course being in such a small town they know who did it and she called his grandma and it was a whole thing.