Nine Americans killed by a Mexican cartel

Parliament

https://www.foxnews.com/world/us-citizens-killed-kidnapped-in-cartel-shootout-outside-northern-mexican-mormon-community-family

At least six children and three women living in a faith-based community of U.S. citizens in Mexico were shot to death Monday in the northern part of the country, and six more children were wounded after their convoy came under fire during a brazen daylight ambush believed to have been carried out by gunmen affiliated with the cartels.

Article goes on to say their SUV's were mistaken as those driven by a rival cartel.

This is the same Mormon community covered in a great Vice News doc from a few years back:

Edited by Parliament

4 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

they're also polygamists who relocated to Mexico in order to escape U.S. laws regarding polygamy.

Correct.  They moved there in the late 1800's or so to keep on the polygamizing.  They claim to have given it up.  Watch the doc, it's great.  

3 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Isn't this 3rd thread now?

Serious q since CR: are Mormans considered Christian enough that Pence types will get bent over this?

Christians' views towards the Mormon folks are mixed.  Some get all worked up about their polygamist past.  Others, me included, believe they don't do that much anymore, and respect their reputation for being good, moral people.  I have a coworker who's a faithful Mormon, and I'm pretty sure he calls himself a Christian.

• Like 1

Just now, Parliament said:

Correct.  They moved there in the late 1800's or so to keep on the polygamizing.  They claim to have given it up.  Watch the doc, it's great.  

Christians' views towards the Mormon folks are mixed.  Some get all worked up about their polygamist past.  Others, me included, believe they don't do that much anymore, and respect their reputation for being good, moral people.  I have a coworker who's a faithful Mormon, and I'm pretty sure he calls himself a Christian.

i don't want nor need to watch the doc...and there's plenty of good, moral people who don't belong to any faith based community, and plenty of faith based people are total fucking dregs.

i'm sure your friend is a good person, but i don't consider Mormons to be Christians.  and that's not just my opinion, either.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i don't want nor need to watch the doc...and there's plenty of good, moral people who don't belong to any faith based community, and plenty of faith based people are total fucking dregs.

i'm sure your friend is a good person, but i don't consider Mormons to be Christians.  and that's not just my opinion, either.

They are heretics. Kind of like protestants.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

I have only really closely interacted with a handful of Mormons, but they have all been among the most sincere and good natured people I have ever met. Heretics yes, but good natured and sincere ones. 

• Like 3

Just now, Anastasis said:

I have only really closely interacted with a handful of Mormons, but they have all been among the most sincere and good natured people I have ever met. Heretics yes, but good natured and sincere ones. 

i don't disagree one bit.

bonus for Mormon chicks liking it chucked in their dumper...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Seer rock disagrees. 

38 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Serious q since CR: are Mormans considered Christian enough that Pence types will get bent over this?

Depends on the Christians.    I don’t have a problem with them, but my wife goes to a large Southern Baptist church, and they do not care for Mormons.  Trying to add to the Bible with the Book of Mormon, and claiming to have living prophets is straight-up blasphemy. Some go so far as to say they are the false prophets prophesied in the Bible or whatever   

And I know plenty that openly vowed to vote against Romney, albeit third-party.  

1 hour ago, Lagunamadre said:

Shitty deal all around. The cartel boss is going to kill a lot of his own guys over this, they do not like that kind of attention. 

This is the most likely outcome.  Regional capo is going to be "removed" along with whoever they feel gave the green light.  Haven't read anything that says these people were the intended target just a sad situation of wrong place at the wrong time.  I'm waiting to see what AMLO's response, if any, to this is.

Wish we could go back to the pre-Zetas days of the cartels keeping the fighting between themselves and not making a shitshow everywhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

Wish we could go back to the pre-Zetas days of the cartels keeping the fighting between themselves and not making a shitshow everywhere.

That was pretty much back in the PRI-has-all-power days when everybody, drug dealer, teacher, garbage man, mural painter got their job doled out as patronage.

Kind of like if Italy hadn't gotten into WW2 and Mussolini's guys had stayed in power a couple more generations. Say what you will about the PRI, at least it's an ethos. Well, no, it's really not, but it's better than this chaos shit.

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

The vice doc is pretty cool. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Depends on the Christians.    I don’t have a problem with them, but my wife goes to a large Southern Baptist church, and they do not care for Mormons.  Trying to add to the Bible with the Book of Mormon, and claiming to have living prophets is straight-up blasphemy. Some go so far as to say they are the false prophets prophesied in the Bible or whatever   

And I know plenty that openly vowed to vote against Romney, albeit third-party.  

The interesting thing about Evangelicals is that they consider the Mormons to be weirdos and a cult. But since Trump has risen to power the LDS church has distanced itself from Trump Republicans and the Evangelicals are making up shit about Trump being God's chosen one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In my experience, US Mormons are fine people of generally good character.

They are not Christians by any orthodox standard, and, are in fact, heretical or apostate by the standards of most denominations.  That means their teachings and beliefs are not just thought to be merely weird, or "in error," but rather directly contrary to the most important theological beliefs of a denomination.

However, non-evangelical denominations generally don't get off on pronouncing others to be heretics, apostates, or otherwise un-Christian.  So that's why you don't hear anyone other than the usual loudmouth asshole evangelicals pooping on Mormons -- when it serves their purpose.

Other than some of us who like to poop on evangelicals in the face of generalization that evangelical = Christian, it's not generally a Christian principle to attack others based on their beliefs.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, F250 said:

The interesting thing about Evangelicals is that they consider the Mormons to be weirdos and a cult. But since Trump has risen to power the LDS church has distanced itself from Trump Republicans and the Evangelicals are making up shit about Trump being God's chosen one.

Trump and Co. don’t like immigrants, and brown people in general, it seems. 

Mormons love immigrants/brown people, because every one of em is a potential Mormon.    My dad used to run into their missionaries in South America, and a buddy in the Army ran into their missionaries in several different countries in Africa.  He said even when they warned them “hey you’re American/white/etc. you should get the fuck out of Dodge”, they usually would tell them it’s cool, the locals will take care of them, etc..  He was impressed that some of the missionaries spoke the native languages, but he thought they were dumbasses for hanging around in certain areas.  I think he only saw male missionaries in those area.  

Trump and Co. don’t like immigrants, and brown people in general, it seems. 
Mormons love immigrants/brown people, because every one of em is a potential Mormon.    My dad used to run into their missionaries in South America, and a buddy in the Army ran into their missionaries in several different countries in Africa.  He said even when they warned them “hey you’re American/white/etc. you should get the fuck out of Dodge”, they usually would tell them it’s cool, the locals will take care of them, etc..  He was impressed that some of the missionaries spoke the native languages, but he thought they were dumbasses for hanging around in certain areas.  I think he only saw male missionaries in those area.  

I used to see young, White Mormons going door to door on the South Side of Chicago in shitty, gang-infested areas in the 90s. No one fucked with them back then since the gang leaders didn’t want any heat from the cops.

That Vice documentary is fascinating.  Those Mexican Mormons seemingly have little in common with the black pants, white shirt dudes on bikes.

They drink, cuss, rodeo, shoot and are directly descended from the crazy-ass outlaw Mormons of the 19th century and seem to have quite a bit of crazy-ass outlaw in em still.

I've encountered a bunch of mormons over time.  I find this joke to be "funny cuz it's true' even though I've heard this joke about several other religions.

If you gonna take a mormon fishing, take two.  If you take only one, he's gonna drink all your beer.

7 hours ago, Lagunamadre said:

Shitty deal all around. The cartel boss is going to kill a lot of his own guys over this, they do not like that kind of attention. 

100% correct.  The cartel is gonna actually be more upset about this than anyone else.  And while Pence doesn't give a shit about Mormons, he is gonna suddenly care if it means he can demonize all Mexicans about it. "Can't have these Mormon killers crossing our border carrying infants."

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

my wife goes to a large Southern Baptist church, and they do not care for Mormons.  

As someone who was raised Baptist I have to ask, is there anything Baptists DO care for other than other Baptists? 

I'd never knowingly met a Morman before moving to Montana, but the town I now live in has a large Mormon community relative to the size of our little town. I work with one, my daughter's 1st grade teacher is one, and my wife works with quite a few at our hospital.

All the ones we personally know are some of the friendliest folks we've ever met. But damn, they believe some of the craziest shit imaginable. It amazes me how doctors, nurses, meteorologists and other highly intelligent people can follow such ridiculousness no questions asked. Then again, I cant comprehend how Baptists believe what they believe either. :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, woohorn said:

I said "white 'Americans'".

I understand how continents work.

You read like shit.

I was responding to the OP’s title. 

Congratulations on graduating elementary school.

Evidently, you read like shit. If you’re not be quoted, assume all responses are to the OP and stop assuming the world revolves around you.

Edited by Casual Encounter

Mormons might not be Christians, I don't really care.  I do know that the ones I've known throughout my life act twice as Christian as 99% of the "Christians" I know.  Christians, without a doubt, are the most hypocritical group in America.  I'd take a Mormon neighbor over a Christian neighbor 100 times out of 100. 

ugh, I can't imaging what that community is going through right now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Mormons might not be Christians, I don't really care.  I do know that the ones I've known throughout my life act twice as Christian as 99% of the "Christians" I know.  Christians, without a doubt, are the most hypocritical group in America.  I'd take a Mormon neighbor over a Christian neighbor 100 times out of 100. 

ugh, I can't imaging what that community is going through right now. 

Yeah, I personally don't care which made-up story about make believe deities you choose to waste your time and money on. Its all horseshit in my opinion, but you're welcome to do so, as long as you don't try to shove that fairy-tale nonsense  down my throat by crossing the separation of church and state. In my experience, Christians are far more likely to try and force everybody to live under their rules than Mormons, but maybe that would be different if Mormons were more prevalent. 

Just now, Blotto said:

Yeah, I personally don't care which made-up story about make believe deities you choose to waste your time and money on. Its all horseshit in my opinion, but you're welcome to do so, as long as you don't try to shove that fairy-tale nonsense  down my throat by crossing the separation of church and state. In my experience, Christians are far more likely to try and force everybody to live under their rules than Mormons, but maybe that would be different if Mormons were more prevalent. 

Have ya been to Utah before ?  There was a time not that long ago you couldn't find ginger ale or rum raisin ice cream in Utah.  You couldn't have 2 alcohol drinks in front of you on a table in a restaurant,  you had to join a bar to be allowed to go inside and drink.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Have ya been to Utah before ?  There was a time not that long ago you couldn't find ginger ale or rum raisin ice cream in Utah.  You couldn't have 2 alcohol drinks in front of you on a table in a restaurant,  you had to join a bar to be allowed to go inside and drink.

Yeah and there was a time in America where you couldn't legally drink in the  entire fucking country cause of religious bullshit. Whats your point?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1