Nine Americans killed by a Mexican cartel

Parliament

11 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Yeah and there was a time in America where you couldn't legally drink in the  entire fucking country cause of religious bullshit. Whats your point?

I made it, the Mormons would, and have done the same thing, or can't you process information.

23 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yes I’ve been to Utah, no I had zero problem finding all the alcohol I required. 
Now, Pepsi?  Not that easy.

Now it is easier.  Up until the SLC Olympics, it was more difficult.  Just finding an ABC store was like a game of hide and seek, and you still had to be a "member" of a bar to be allowed to go in and drink.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Have ya been to Utah before ?  There was a time not that long ago you couldn't find ginger ale or rum raisin ice cream in Utah.  You couldn't have 2 alcohol drinks in front of you on a table in a restaurant,  you had to join a bar to be allowed to go inside and drink.

https://www.lex18.com/news/decision-2019/lee-county-elkhorn-city-legalize-alcohol-sales

7:01 PM, Nov 05, 2019

Three eastern Kentucky communities that have banned alcohol for decades have voted to legalize alcohol sales.

All of Lee County, McKee in Jackson County and Elkhorn City in Pike County have all legalized sales of alcohol despite staunch resistance from opposition.

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

my wife goes to a large Southern Baptist church, and they do not care for Mormons.  Trying to add to the Bible with the Book of Mormon, and claiming to have living prophets is straight-up blasphemy. Some go so far as to say they are the false prophets prophesied in the Bible or whatever

The irony of this statement in light of people like Robert Jeffress (only the most recent in a long line of Southern Baptist false prophets) is strong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Have ya been to Utah before ?  There was a time not that long ago you couldn't find ginger ale or rum raisin ice cream in Utah.  You couldn't have 2 alcohol drinks in front of you on a table in a restaurant,  you had to join a bar to be allowed to go inside and drink.

Sounds like lots of places in Texas until very recently.

17 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Sounds like lots of places in Texas until very recently.

Well it must suck to live in parts of Texas then. Hell Va. is bible belt country, and even we don't keep things with alcohol terms in them from folks.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Usually the dries are a coalition of the churchiest of the church ladies and the local bootleggers, with most of the cash coming from the bootleggers. 

28 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

The irony of this statement in light of people like Robert Jeffress (only the most recent in a long line of Southern Baptist false prophets) is strong.

I have one Mormon friend, and he really, really strongly dislikes Evangelicals. It's a two-way street -- Mormons are well aware of what Evangelicals think of them, and Mormons also know what gross, blatant hypocrites so many Evangelicals are. 

Another thing I've learned is that Mormons are even more split up and splintered than most of us now. It's not just mainstream Mormons and crazy polygamists off in the hills and down in Mexico. There are all kinds of little sects all over the place and tons of regional differences. Provo is where Mormonism is at its purest. Salt Lake City is regarded as secular by the Provo crowd.

Wyoming Mormons are known as beer-drinkers and hellraisers, and then you have the FLDS groups in rural Utah, Schleicher County, Arizona, and Mexico, among other places. German-Americans who converted in the 19th Century started a few of their own sects too. It's way, way more complex than it seems. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well it must suck to live in parts of Texas then. Hell Va. is bible belt country, and even we don't keep things with alcohol terms in them from folks.

Still better than some areas around Roanoke and Blacksburg.  (WAHOOWA)

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Wyoming Mormons are known as beer-drinkers and hellraisers, and then you have the FLDS groups in rural Utah, Schleicher County, Arizona, and Mexico, among other places. German-Americans who converted in the 19th Century started a few of their own sects too. It's way, way more complex than it seems. 

And yet, all these separate distinct individual cultures bite their bottom lips while they dance to Kool & the Gang.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's way, way more complex than it seems. 

When talking about supernatural things it always is. 

I love the Mormons. I enjoy when they come riding by knocking on my door. I invite them in and give them juice/lemonade. Then I ask for the evidence any of the supernatural stuff of any religion, including theirs, had happened. Then I say would you buy something from me, a total stranger, sight unseen just based on my word that it exists and nothing else? 

No, of course you wouldn't because people are self centered fucking lying assholes and you've been conditioned to not trust without evidence. Well, people 2000 or 1000 or 250 years ago were the same damn way. 

I think deep down they know it's bullshit but it's their bullshit and their whole social world revolves around that bullshit so they toe the line. 

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Usually the dries are a coalition of the churchiest of the church ladies and the local bootleggers, with most of the cash coming from the bootleggers. 

In Lubbock's case, all the liquor stores at the county line had a heavy financial incentive to keep it a dry county.

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Lubbock was a dry county until 10 years ago.

I'm aware there are dry counties all over the country. My original comment was in response to someones post asking whether Mormons would try to foist their ideas, and morals on others if given the opportunity  (they would).  

I responded with anecdotal evidence backing that thought up (you couldn't even buy rum raisin ice cream in Utah so yeah they would try to make everyone else toe their moral line).  I have no illusions about Christians, and their attempts to do the same in other places.