2020 Transfer and Grad-Transfer Available Players

texifornia

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

His parents weren't sure whether they were having a boy or girl, so they just split the difference on Chris and Stephany and called it a day.

https://uclabruins.com/sports/football/roster/christaphany-murray/9031

Also big lol at being from Palmdale and going to Mater Dei - SoCal private school recruiting is so brazen.

Doesn't Christophany literally mean a post-resurrection appearance of Christ?  If so, sweet Jesus, that's some pressure for a kid.

6 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Doesn't Christophany literally mean a post-resurrection appearance of Christ?  If so, sweet Jesus, that's some pressure for a kid.

It's actually a reference to post-Ascension Christ. The Bright Light on the Road to Damascus technically qualifies, actually, in traditional theological usage.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Chris-Murray-46039240/ 

UCLA junior-to-be offensive lineman Chris Murray will enter the transfer portal.  His mom informed Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times.  The two-year starter is a vital part of UCLA's offensive line plans for next season.  The depth chart at offensive line was razor thin, so losing a proven, two-year starter is a big blow.   

Murray will likely have to sit out a season to be eligible at his new program. He'd have to prove a hardship situation to the NCAA or compel UCLA to endorse a waiving of the NCAA rule that demands a transfer sit out a year.  Since Murray hasn't redshirted, he'll be able to use that redshirt to sit out a year at his new program and be eligible as a redshirt junior for the 2021 season.  

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seriously, WTF is going on there?! 14 transfers in one offseason is insane. I’m shocked there hasn’t been some story or article on what’s going on at Stanford. 

Saw some story that said Shaw had encouraged players who could graduate, to go get another degree if they couldn't get into grad school at Stanford, and with the way their classes stacked up, they happened to have quite a few in that category ... 

34 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Saw some story that said Shaw had encouraged players who could graduate, to go get another degree if they couldn't get into grad school at Stanford, and with the way their classes stacked up, they happened to have quite a few in that category ... 

That sounds like some great spin.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seriously, WTF is going on there?! 14 transfers in one offseason is insane. I’m shocked there hasn’t been some story or article on what’s going on at Stanford. 

Yeah, something is wrong there.  We have our own problems, but cripes.

So if you graduate before your eligibility expires, do you have to be in school?  I'm guessing yes, but do you have to be in a degree program?

In other words, why graduate transfer just because you have graduated?  I'd think it might be fun to take underwater basketweaving and whatnot, for a change.  To the extent you haven't already.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So if you graduate before your eligibility expires, do you have to be in school?  I'm guessing yes, but do you have to be in a degree program?

In other words, why graduate transfer just because you have graduated?  I'd think it might be fun to take underwater basketweaving and whatnot, for a change.  To the extent you haven't already.

Thats why the reason Stanford/Shaw have given is bullshit.

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Just do like Matt Leinart did. Got himself within 2 hours of his degree heading into his last fall and took ballroom dancing with his girlfriend for his only class in 2005.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

So that you can get a graduate degree, if that matters to you?

(It's possible that some players cannot get into grad school at the university where they did their undergrad - Tre Watson example below.  For others, they may be able to get into a better grad school than the one at their university ... and continue to play football on scholarship.)

TRE WATSON

However, Watson was still eligible for one more season as a graduate. All he needed to do was get into graduate school. There was one issue, though: Watson said he was unable to get into any of the graduate programs at Cal. 

Edited by Getafix

42 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Thats why the reason Stanford/Shaw have given is bullshit.

Well, actually I could see the kind of player that goes to Stanford being interested in a graduate degree of some sort.  The average D1 football player, not so much.

And I can absolutely see the attraction for a player who can change venues, maybe get a little more playing time, and get a decent graduate degree.  But that would not apply, again, to the average D1 player that makes up most rosters.

6 hours ago, Getafix said:

Here's a December article...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/12/16/stanford-is-dominating-the-transfer-portal-what-gives-on-the-farm/ 

Dec 16th:  Oops, make that 12.  Yet another player just showed up in the database.  (Every time you look, it seems, a new name appears.)  As of Monday morning, the Cardinal has 12 players — 12! — in the portal

No other program in the Pac-12 is close, at least at the moment. (The counts are expected to rise in coming weeks as seasons conclude.)

But it’s not time for Stanford fans to worry.  Check that. It is time for Stanford fans to worry, but not because of the number of players currently in the transfer portal.

Key points:

• Each player in the portal is graduating this month or on track to have his degree by June. All 12 are expected to be graduate transfers with one year of eligibility.
  • Approximately half the players are not expected to contribute next season, and four have played sparingly — or not at all — over the course of their careers (Richardson, Peek, Trinh and Riccitelli).
  • Several players currently in the portal could return.

“Some will leave, but some will stay and be important pieces of an exciting 2020 Stanford football team,’’ cardinal coach David Shaw told the Hotline in a text message.  He added:   “I have been one of the biggest proponents of graduate transfers in all of college football.  A student-athlete who graduates in four years or less, and has a year of eligibility remaining, should be able to explore  the options in a limited time frame. Our time frame is wider because we don’t have a bowl game to prepare for.”

That was the extent of Shaw’s comment on the situation, which is fluid in both directions --  More Stanford players could enter the portal in the coming weeks and months, but some could remove their names and rejoin the program for spring practice.  

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 12:53 PM, ClubWhatever said:

This season, Newman completed 60.9 percent of his passes for 2,868 yards, 26 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

Bowl 12/26 175-3-1

meh.

I think Oregon would have been a much better choice for Newman, but we will get to see if he's good enough to take a ready built team to the playoffs with Georgia. 

I'm happy cause I didn't want Chase Brice to go to Georgia, but him possibly going to LSU is kinda gross as well. 

4 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I think Oregon would have been a much better choice for Newman, but we will get to see if he's good enough to take a ready built team to the playoffs with Georgia. 

I'm happy cause I didn't want Chase Brice to go to Georgia, but him possibly going to LSU is kinda gross as well. 

One rumor has Chase Brice following Coach Jeff Scott to USF... if so his first start would be against the Longhorns.  If he grad-transfers, Bruce can play immediately,  and still has two more years of eligibility.

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Article/Chase-Brice-Clemson-quarterback-transfer--141395128/

Brice said he has heard the rumors he's headed back to his home state to play for the Bulldogs. He's also heard he's following Jeff Scott to USF.   “I hear things too. I’m like, ‘Where did y’all hear that from? I didn’t say it.’ I’m really just focused on this game Saturday and being committed to the team. It’s funny because we don’t have social media. We can’t post. It’s just perception and ideas pop in people’s heads.”

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

On rumor has Chase Brice following Coach Jeff Scott to USF... if so his first start would be against the Longhorns. 

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Article/Chase-Brice-Clemson-quarterback-transfer--141395128/

Brice said he has heard the rumors he's headed back to his home state to play for the Bulldogs. He's also heard he's following Jeff Scott to USF.   “I hear things too. I’m like, ‘Where did y’all hear that from? I didn’t say it.’ I’m really just focused on this game Saturday and being committed to the team. It’s funny because we don’t have social media. We can’t post. It’s just perception and ideas pop in people’s heads.”

That QB that used to be committed to aggy also transferred to USF.  Cade Fortin.

17 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Yurcich and Hand followed this redshirt freshman tackle from Boston College. I would assume he would have to sit a year, but you never know with the NCAA.

https://bceagles.com/sports/football/roster/tyler-vrabel/11421

Named a Freshman All-American by The Athletic this year. He might follow his OL coach to PSU.