2020 Transfer and Grad-Transfer Available Players

texifornia

28 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If a portal transfer is better than someone we have then it's a take ALL DAY. You don't pass up better players in the portal because "we already have guys here".

Chances are, if a guy is in the tampon portal, he's probably there because he's not cracking starts at his current gig. He's going to want to go somewhere where he has the best chance of starting. 

Texas may not be the perfect team, but there aren't a lot of portal kids who are going to be shoe-ins to start if they come to Texas..... except for probably LB. 

Obviously, make your team better if you can, but you can't put in waiver claims on these kids. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Chances are, if a guy is in the tampon portal, he's probably there because he's not cracking starts at his current gig. He's going to want to go somewhere where he has the best chance of starting. 

Texas may not be the perfect team, but there aren't a lot of portal kids who are going to be shoe-ins to start if they come to Texas..... except for probably LB. 

Obviously, make your team better if you can, but you can't put in waiver claims on these kids. 

Exactly. I said if a portal or grad transfer will be a starter you take him to improve your team and then you check down to will he add depth. 

Crossing off positions acting like we don't need help is silly. All of this is  up to opinion so telling people they are wrong on a message board is dumb. If it's dumb to fill a "scholarship" roster spot for a portal then I guess ohio st was dumb taking on Justin Fields because they already had guys on the roster. Recruiting is now NSD1 and 2 and the portal and it won't change anytime soon. Just look at how many guys are transferring every year. 

Again i'm not saying anyone is a shoe in starter, i'm saying you don't dismiss it like some have done like we couldn't possibly find a upgrade in the portal.

22 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Crossing off positions acting like we don't need help is silly.

But I really don't think that's what anyone here is doing, is my point. Of course we can always need help, but the reality is we're just solid enough at those positions with the 1s (*at most positions) to where the likelihood of a portal kid coming on at that position is lower. 

*edit

Edited by UncleBuck

24 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

But I really don't think that's what anyone here is doing, is my point. Of course we can always need help, but the reality is we're just solid enough at those positions with the 1s (*at most positions) to where the likelihood of a portal kid coming on at that position is lower. 

*edit

I think there are a few tiers for players entering the portal.

Tier 1 - The player could play virtually anywhere, for anyone. This could be a grad transfer or regular transfer. Justin Fields and Jalen Hurts are examples. The WR from UCLA is another one. The player is either blocked by another elite player or something else weird happened, and they're available. Every school should be on these players unless they also have an amazing starter in their slot.

Tier 2 - Lesser recruited player went to a smaller school, has suddenly developed into a really solid college ball player, and he wants more exposure and experience at a bigger program. Could be GT or regular. Blue bloods are advantaged here, and they should be taking hard looks and working these guys. This type of player is going to continue to emerge and play a bigger role in CFB going forward. This premise is currently nascent.

Tier 3 - Highly recruited players with talent who go somewhere and then don't do much. Usually regular transfers. Investigative work should be done on these guys, but if there is a need, worth the recruitment. The WR in the portal from Michigan fits this bill.

Tier 4 - GTs with a decent track record of performance that fit an immediate need. Your basic Parker Braun. Applicable to many schools where there isn't an incumbent starter and the competition for the role isn't as interesting as the GT fill-in.

Tier 5 - Question marks for many different reasons that can fill depth at more talented programs but are probably looking for a starting opportunity somewhere and make more sense to land at a lesser program. Duffey from Tech fits this bill. 

My view is that Texas should be vigorously involved with Tiers 1 and 2 and landing 1-3 each year. It's a sign of something wrong if an established regime is pursuing guys in tiers 3 and 4 more than once every 5 years. Bluebloods should never be involved with tier 5 unless they're undergoing a coaching change and need bodies because of prior regime idiocy.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Tier 1 - The player could play virtually anywhere, for anyone. This could be a grad transfer or regular transfer. Justin Fields and Jalen Hurts are examples. The WR from UCLA is another one. The player is either blocked by another elite player or something else weird happened, and they're available. Every school should be on these players unless they also have an amazing starter in their slot.

Tier 2 - Lesser recruited player went to a smaller school, has suddenly developed into a really solid college ball player, and he wants more exposure and experience at a bigger program. Could be GT or regular. Blue bloods are advantaged here, and they should be taking hard looks and working these guys. This type of player is going to continue to emerge and play a bigger role in CFB going forward. This premise is currently nascent.

Tier 3 - Highly recruited players with talent who go somewhere and then don't do much. Usually regular transfers. Investigative work should be done on these guys, but if there is a need, worth the recruitment. The WR in the portal from Michigan fits this bill.

Tier 4 - GTs with a decent track record of performance that fit an immediate need. Your basic Parker Braun. Applicable to many schools where there isn't an incumbent starter and the competition for the role isn't as interesting as the GT fill-in.

Tier 5 - Question marks for many different reasons that can fill depth at more talented programs but are probably looking for a starting opportunity somewhere and make more sense to land at a lesser program. Duffey from Tech fits this bill. 

My view is that Texas should be vigorously involved with Tiers 1 and 2 and landing 1-3 each year. It's a sign of something wrong if an established regime is pursuing guys in tiers 3 and 4 more than once every 5 years. Bluebloods should never be involved with tier 5 unless they're undergoing a coaching change and need bodies because of prior regime idiocy.

To the extent you intend the Tiers to rank in order of importance, there's a good argument to be made that Tier 4s have a much higher value than Tier 3 and often make sense to pursue--Calvin Anderson, Parker Braun, and Tre Watson are all good examples of "Tier 4" guys that make good sense for most programs in the Country that don't have established starters or known quantities.

The fact that they're basically irrelevant for purposes of counting scholarships dramatically increases their value.  I.e., if you "miss" on them (like we did that GT tight end from Syracuse), it's meaningless, and if you "hit" on them (like we did Calvin Anderson), it's found money.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-------

That's all fair.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It's that line of thinking that keeps us dragging ass as we watch ou, bama, ohio st(fields) and others get portal transfers and upgrade whatever position they want. I would have taken Fields over sam all day long. 

I am 100% for taking the best players from the portal and we should be taking 2-4 guys a year. The blessing and curse is that they rarely have a ton of eligibility left so if you miss, it doesn't weigh the roster down for years but the damage can be done with younger players behind them portaling out. 

Your example however is stupid as fuck. This isn't a fucking XBox. Replacing Sam coming off the Sugar Bowl win where he carried the offense to replace him with Fields would've been locker room suicide. If you think 2019 was bad, this would have been orders of magnitude worse. Team chemistry matters and don't come back with the "well, tOSU didn't seem to mind having Fields." Haskins left for the NFL and Tate Martell is in fact, ass my dude. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Replacing Sam coming off the Sugar Bowl win where he carried the offense to replace him with Fields would've been locker room suicide

And also, even if you were open to it, the chances of those guys willingly inserting themselves into that situation with Sam here is at about %.001.

Edited by UncleBuck

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

To me it's not about the WR or TE or LB or CB or OL being worrisome or not. It should be viewed as is the Portal WR, TE, CB, LB, OL better than what we have and could they make us better. If yes bring him on and if not then you check down to depth help. 

I agree with you guys, which is why I like the OL and LB portal guys the most. Getting an experienced talented transfer there that's better than what we got is possible.

Promising a WR transfer a starting spot isn't gonna happen, we got young great talent there. 

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

To the extent you intend the Tiers to rank in order of importance, there's a good argument to be made that Tier 4s have a much higher value than Tier 3 and often make sense to pursue--Calvin Anderson, Parker Braun, and Tre Watson are all good examples of "Tier 4" guys that make good sense for most programs in the Country that don't have established starters or known quantities.

The fact that they're basically irrelevant for purposes of counting scholarships dramatically increases their value.  I.e., if you "miss" on them (like we did that GT tight end from Syracuse), it's meaningless, and if you "hit" on them (like we did Calvin Anderson), it's found money.

Hence my last paragraph. Outside of one-off circumstances every half-decade, Tier 4 guys are a bad sign for blueblood and near-blueblood programs. That speaks to poor roster management and unnatural attrition. It's subjective, so I'm not trying to convince anyone else that they should see it the same way. It's just where I'm coming from when I look at who is taking who.

Just now, closetojumping said:

Hence my last paragraph. Outside of one-off circumstances every half-decade, Tier 4 guys are a bad sign for blueblood and near-blueblood programs. That speaks to poor roster management and unnatural attrition. It's subjective, so I'm not trying to convince anyone else that they should see it the same way. It's just where I'm coming from when I look at who is taking who.

Upon some further thinking, I guess that I think the "difference" between a Tier 2 GT and a Tier 4 GT in your system inevitably devoles into a hindsight question based on whether or not said GT panned out, which is obviously unhelpful as a forward-looking rubric.  Given that, Tier 2 and Tier 4 (for GTs) are the same thing for any team evaluating transfer portal needs or wants in a given year.  And, yeah, most schools--even healthy P5 schools--are combing that market.

8 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Upon some further thinking, I guess that I think the "difference" between a Tier 2 GT and a Tier 4 GT in your system inevitably devoles into a hindsight question based on whether or not said GT panned out, which is obviously unhelpful as a forward-looking rubric.  Given that, Tier 2 and Tier 4 (for GTs) are the same thing for any team evaluating transfer portal needs or wants in a given year.  And, yeah, most schools--even healthy P5 schools--are combing that market.

The differences to me are:

-For tier 2 guys, they may or may not be a GT.

-For tier 2, they're no doubters for any program. Bama pursues these guys yearly and they land a few. Some dude goes to Tulane or Nevada and blows up but wants to be in the spotlight, I'd like to believe Texas will be throwing themselves into the mix every time when these guys appear. I think we're going to see this group grow non-linearly over the next few years.

-For tier 4, yeah, they're guys like Anderson or Braun or Jackson (Rutgers guy that started for Ohio State in 2019) and they fill a need occasionally, but they're not someone that will get everyone excited by their talent alone. 

5 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Exactly. I said if a portal or grad transfer will be a starter you take him to improve your team and then you check down to will he add depth. 

Crossing off positions acting like we don't need help is silly. All of this is  up to opinion so telling people they are wrong on a message board is dumb. If it's dumb to fill a "scholarship" roster spot for a portal then I guess ohio st was dumb taking on Justin Fields because they already had guys on the roster. Recruiting is now NSD1 and 2 and the portal and it won't change anytime soon. Just look at how many guys are transferring every year. 

Again i'm not saying anyone is a shoe in starter, i'm saying you don't dismiss it like some have done like we couldn't possibly find a upgrade in the portal.

So by your logic we should be looking at transfers, at every position, every year. 

22 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

So by your logic we should be looking at transfers, at every position, every year. 

Uhh if that transfer is better than what you have you’re saying you’d pass on him? Look I get the portal is new but it’s gonna be like this every fucking year so get your heads out of the way it’s always been and realize this is part of the new recruiting as well. If you don’t evaluate the portal then you aren’t doing your job. 

do I think there are 20 guys transferring that are that much better than what we have? No. But to act like we are some stacked fucking roster is dumb. Go see what’s there and if someone is better than what you have you go get him.

Oof. 

Houston defensive lineman Eyabi Anoma (#4 player in the country in 2018) has been dismissed from the program for a violation of team rules, it was announced on Tuesday. Anoma, one of the top prospects in the Class of 2018, joined Houston this past August after playing one season with the Crimson Tide in 2018.

4 hours ago, Scholz said:

holgonolte2.jpg

Csb-

mid 2000's in Kauai airport, the kids asked "why is there a homeless guy sleeping on the floor?"  Yep, nick Nolte  

We also had a place next to one of the tropic thunder sets and we heckled Ben stiller every night, just for the hell of it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

IT Humidor said today the the projected starters on the OL are Sam Cosmi-Junior Angilau-Derek Kerstetter-Denzel Okafor-Christian Jones.

They mentioned GT wide receiver candidates (Tarik Black/Rico Bussey) but no OL targets.