2020 Transfer and Grad-Transfer Available Players

texifornia

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT Humidor said today the the projected starters on the OL are Sam Cosmi-Junior Angilau-Derek Kerstetter-Denzel Okafor-Christian Jones.

They mentioned GT wide receiver candidates (Tarik Black/Rico Bussey) but no OL targets. 

Interesting. Hand has easily been the most active coach in terms of following GTs on Twitter.

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If he's a Parker Braun with better pass blocking skills ... seems worth considering.

FROM PFF - TOP 30 OFFENSIVE LINEMEN RETURNING TO CFB

27. G JOSHUA FEDD-JACKSON, NC STATE
Fedd-Jackson took a big step forward this year at right guard, having his PFF overall grade rise from 69.9 in 2018 to 78.0 in 2019. The increase largely has to do with his improvement in run-blocking, where his grade rank went from 31st to fourth.

Also, per PFF:

- Cosmi is the #5 overall returning lineman

- Cosmi and Ketstetter are two of the top 3 returning tackles in the big 12.

Christian Jones was a guy that they liked heading into the fall, but they were worried about the size & strength aspects at that stage more than anything. They wanted to give him another year, and did so. I hope he delivers on the potential. 

Beyond that, IT's take on the OL is no more meaningful than any of ours. The staff is pining for better guard options than Okafor and a lot of guys will get looks there, at RT, and C. I don't think they'd ignore an excellent OL GT candidate and anyone stating otherwise is off their rocker.

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT Humidor said today the the projected starters on the OL are Sam Cosmi-Junior Angilau-Derek Kerstetter-Denzel Okafor-Christian Jones.

They mentioned GT wide receiver candidates (Tarik Black/Rico Bussey) but no OL targets. 

Are we just going to run left next year?

6 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

NC State has developed some outstanding G/C prospects in recent years. Doeren probably would’ve moved on from them by now if he weren’t so dull.

To add to this, I think this guy has a good shot at transferring to Rutgers. His HS school coach, Augie Hoffmann, is now on the staff and Schiano is actively using the portal to upgrade the talent level at every position.

11 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

To add to this, I think this guy has a good shot at transferring to Rutgers. His HS school coach, Augie Hoffmann, is now on the staff and Schiano is actively using the portal to upgrade the talent level at every position.

I thought we hired all their coaches.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/19/ncaa-one-time-transfer-rule-coaches-concerns

Coaches Express Concerns Over NCAA's One-Time Transfer Proposal

The idea of a one-time transfer rule has gained steam recently in players’ rights discussions. However, many D-I coaches are not on board with it.

ROSS DELLENGER    FEB 18, 2020

Mark Richt isn’t your normal college football coach.  He’s one of the nice guys, according to those in the industry. He’s genuine, forthright and authentic. Those who know say he’s never really embraced the darker side of the game—the sneaky politics and slimy tactics. He’s not to be confused with the coaches who remind you of greasy car salesmen, those who bathe in the muck of an industry that can be downright dirty sometimes.

But on Monday afternoon, Richt, now retired and serving as a TV analyst, did have something in common with his coaching brethren: He is against an NCAA proposal announced Tuesday to allow players once in their college career the chance to transfer and compete immediately at their new school.

“I know, I have an idea,” Richt wrote in a message that immediately went viral, one lambasted by many pro-player media and fans. “You recruit and develop players and when I think they’re good enough I will poach them from your roster! Welcome to what the new normal will look like in college football!”

If the NCAA Division I Council approves the proposal in April, first-time transfers starting in the 2020 academic year would no longer have to endure the long-standing “year-in-residence” in their first season at their new school. The proposal is being fast-tracked. Because it is a “criteria change” to the NCAA waiver process and not a new “rule change,” it can avoid the regular legislative cycle and take effect well before the NCAA convention next January.

The idea of a one-time open transfer has gained steam recently in a time when the NCAA is under attack—from even the highest levels (ahem, Congress)—over players’ rights. This past fall, the Big Ten first proposed the one-time transfer legislation, and the ACC followed Monday with a statement supporting it. However, the vast majority of D-I coaches do not agree, says Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association.

In fact, coaches have shown “unanimous” opposition to the idea at AFCA conventions for the last three years. And there are three main reasons why, Berry outlines: (1) the freedom to transfer and play immediately could lead to quick, rash decisions players eventually regret; (2) transfers, according to NCAA data, are less likely to graduate than non-transfers; (3) and as Richt points out in his tweet, this proposal pushes college football closer to a free agency, with coaches poaching from one another’s rosters even more than they already do.

“The (rule was originally) put in to keep universities from recruiting off other campuses,” Berry says in an interview with Sports Illustrated on Tuesday. “That would be a reality if all the sudden you said a one-time transfer.” The coaches have been mostly clear on their approach to this idea for a few years, Berry says—they stand against it. Because this is a touchy players’ rights issues, many of them are hesitant to speak on it. That’s where Berry, a former coach himself, comes in.

“We’ve been having this discussion for a long period of time. We were engaged and we talked about it every year,” Berry says. “Our head coaches on every level voted on these things. We were unanimous across every level. We’ve had these discussions privately and collectively. This is the feeling and concerns we have. I’ve expressed what the sentiment is as a group.”

Not all coaches are necessarily against it, though. In fact, Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh pitched the proposal through Twitter last summer. “My belief is that a one-time transfer should be allowed for all student-athletes,” Harbaugh wrote in a July tweet.

The NCAA has tied this proposal to its transfer waivers, a subjective process that’s come under fire recently for inconsistencies. A one-time transfer policy could significantly reduce waiver requests, but not all players will be eligible. They must meet four benchmarks to transfer and play immediately: (1) receive a release from their previous school; (2) leave their previous school academically eligible; (3) maintain their academic progress at their new school; and (4) leave under no disciplinary suspension.

While the Big Ten and ACC have made their intentions clear from an administrative level, other leagues have remained somewhat mum. Meanwhile, the coaching community, Berry says, has great concerns. Berry did not expect the NCAA’s announcement on Tuesday. It was something that “shocked” him. A long-discussed matter, he was under the impression that many school and conference officials had for now shelved such a proposal. “Everybody seemed to be on the other side of this coin last summer, but something has happened recently,” he says. “I don’t know what the impetus is in these thoughts changing.”

One thing is certain: Players’ rights have never been a hotter topic. The issue over athlete compensation found its way to Capitol Hill, where last week lawmakers grilled NCAA president Mark Emmert—not only on name, image and likeness, but on a host of other issues that they believe are unfair to players.

The discussion went well beyond compensation. One senator even called for a “far-reaching fundamental reform” to college sports. Another senator held a terse exchange with Emmert on both athlete healthcare and one-year scholarships. Told that a school can choose not to renew a player’s scholarship each year, Sen. John Tester from Montana snapped to Emmert, “That’s a problem.”

Athlete compensation is well on its way to happening. The NCAA plans to release a report in April on changes to its policies to allow players to profit from their name, image and likeness. The one-time transfer rule could complicate matters even more, Berry says. “You go with a one-time transfer and add NIL,” he says, “kids are going to be going for whoever pays them the most money. It’s a real concern for our coaches. You give them the one-time transfer and give them opportunity to negotiate an (endorsement) deal across the spectrum…. it’s free agency.”

Edited by LTtxfan

I refer to my earlier comment. Texas better be getting ready for this with compensation packages for players. And they better be paying the most. Yes, you will always get some players who just want to be at Texas, but this is a brave new world. And hopefully will bring out in the open what Alabama, Clemson, LSU have been doing for decades. 

But we better not be dragging our fucking feet because that’s what we normally do. Bellmont and it’s bloated ass staff should be dedicating resources to figuring this shit out and start paying players 

22 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I refer to my earlier comment. Texas better be getting ready for this with compensation packages for players. And they better be paying the most. Yes, you will always get some players who just want to be at Texas, but this is a brave new world. And hopefully will bring out in the open what Alabama, Clemson, LSU have been doing for decades. 

But we better not be dragging our fucking feet because that’s what we normally do. Bellmont and it’s bloated ass staff should be dedicating resources to figuring this shit out and start paying players 

Let me go ahead and properly temper your hope and expectations right here, buddy. The Olds are still pissed that we had to pay for new athletic facilities. 

50 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Either make coaches sit out a year or let the players play. Total BS that a coach can recruit a kid and day after signing day switch schools. Should make it to where if a school fires the HC kids can immediately transfer as well.

Is there anything more laughable than college coaches whining about this kind of shit? Those idiots can all go fuck themselves right up their own duplicitous assholes. I'm not some bleeding heart for student athletes, but they should have the ability to leave and go compete elsewhere if circumstances merit it. Most people working between the ages of 16-24 have either nothing binding them to their current employer or a contract guaranteeing them certain things based on tenure and performance.

College coaches have been treating their players like meat on the hoof since before that book was written. Nick Saban is fucking lauded as some sort of great leader of men and he's been processing 10% of his roster out on a yearly basis with various forced and creative ways for almost 25 years. Fuck all of these idiots. Adjust to the changes, shut your lying fucking mouths, go win some games and collect all of the millions that you're paid whether you win or lose, shitheads. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Let me go ahead and properly temper your hope and expectations right here, buddy. The Olds are still pissed that we had to pay for new athletic facilities. 

You've been to the meetings and I haven't, but is there any scenario here where louder voices with better information can get these blue hairs off the button?

56 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

NCAA needs to find a way to quit pretending p5 football/basketball is "amateur" sports. Of course, they will not look to modify that gravy train (over $1b revenue with the bulk coming from football/basketball?).

Regarding Richt's comment, the next player Richt develops will be the first.

Edited by pacman

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

You've been to the meetings and I haven't, but is there any scenario here where louder voices with better information can get these blue hairs off the button?

I mean, I don't know man. From the meetings I've been to, it's pretty unclear (and I think unlikely) that these forums are where actual decisions are taking place. Honestly, they seem more like bones thrown to the old money people to make them feel special. The last one was some videos of the SEZ, talks from Herman and CDC and a woman from the SEZ design firm and questions. 

From my personal, cynical perspective on old wealthy in America, I'm not sure anything gets people like that off whatever opinions they have formed hard and fast in their minds. There might be some that can be persuaded by new information from a persuasive source. Or there could be people there who are shamed into silence, which might not be a bad thing either. I do see zero downside to presenting new information, and new points of view, because the worst case scenario is they're old people who don't change their fucking opinions. But some might see the light. And a the very least, at least the Athletic Department knows there are different opinions out there, preferably from a younger demographic that they're going to have to embrace at some point. 

But I can tell you with certainty right now that it's a fucking echo chamber with no other thoughts or opinions, at least with no one else speaking up. Think the Houston Lunch Bunch meetings except those guys would seem aggressive and progressive next to these types. 

On 2/18/2020 at 2:36 PM, texifornia said:

Oh dang

I believe that this has long been the case for non-revenue sports. Girls Soccer (definitely) & Volleyball (I think that attractive girl from California didn't have to sit out before playing for Nebraska...)

Football & Basketball would just be catching up with the others.

30 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I believe that this has long been the case for non-revenue sports. Girls Soccer (definitely) & Volleyball (I think that attractive girl from California didn't have to sit out before playing for Nebraska...)

Football & Basketball would just be catching up with the others.

I'd like to hear, or perhaps even better - see, more about the "attractive girl from California." 

Thanks in  advance.

1 hour ago, Junior Bonner said:

I'd like to hear, or perhaps even better - see, more about the "attractive girl from California." 

Thanks in  advance.

The one and only Lexi Sun

(There was a small contingent wondering if it was time to retire Kate and replace her with Lexi, which thankfully didn't happen)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

New Hand follow: https://gozips.com/sports/football/roster/brandon-council/6117

Already has offers from LSU, Auburn and USC so might be a bit late to this party

There is actually a town named "Tarheel", North Carolina?

Is he just from Chapel Hill and was making a joke on his Akron football page?