2020 Transfer and Grad-Transfer Available Players

texifornia

On 6/6/2020 at 7:23 AM, Fud said:

Shavers is pretty much the ideal Z in terms of traits, although obviously he doesn't have much production yet. Fast as fuck, 6'5-6'6, and tracks the deep ball really well. DC's would need to give deep help on him, or Yurcich would probably have Sam throwing deep every time. 

He'd make sense if Texas ever actually goes 10 personnel, but it's en vogue to stay in 11 at almost all times, and Herman has been at the forefront of that, arguably to his detriment. If you're staying in 11, I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to use a class counter to take another WR when you already have Eagles, Black, Smith, Whittington, Moore, and Washington, and maybe even Omeire and Lewis, fighting for scraps. You'd basically be using two class counters for one outside WR spot, between Black and Shavers. I suppose though that he's potentially insurance for the WR room divas/idiots/injury prones, and could potentially replace Black/Eagles leaving for the draft. 

Shavers is a freak. Plus he has 2 years of eligibility and he's immediately eligible. We don't have anyone with his athletic traits on the roster outside of maybe Eagles. 

People will get worked up over the lack of production at Alabama but unless you're a 1st round type talent you weren't getting on the field the last few years at WR. 

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Shavers is a freak. Plus he has 2 years of eligibility and he's immediately eligible. We don't have anyone with his athletic traits on the roster outside of maybe Eagles. 

People will get worked up over the lack of production at Alabama but unless you're a 1st round type talent you weren't getting on the field the last few years at WR. 

So he can play immediately for the 2020 season?

Shaver's senior HUDL.  Hopefully he took to coaching while at Bama.  He's a great athlete, but super raw coming out of HS.  I understand the interest with that frame and athleticism... I would be curious to hear what the Bama staff had to say about him. It's understandable he couldn't get much playing time there. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3252250/5824dfad688ec46134a98a03

Not sure what happened at Nebraska but Spielman is legit. If he's a grad transfer Texas is probably going to give him a look if they're looking at another WR. He's definitely more proven than Shavers but not sure of positional fit. 

Nebraska used him primarily in the slot. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Shaver's senior HUDL.  Hopefully he took to coaching while at Bama.  He's a great athlete, but super raw coming out of HS.  I understand the interest with that frame and athleticism... I would be curious to hear what the Bama staff had to say about him. It's understandable he couldn't get much playing time there. 

Getting CBs to mississiggy

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not sure what happened at Nebraska but Spielman is legit. If he's a grad transfer Texas is probably going to give him a look if they're looking at another WR. He's definitely more proven than Shavers but not sure of positional fit. 

Nebraska used him primarily in the slot. 

5'9. Slot is already too full, no chance. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Wow. I remember when he was at UCF, it seemed like his players loved him. Coaching transitions are tough.

They're doing a good job of communicating plans for monetizing NLI/player branding, etc. If they can win some games, they should have no problem restocking. This is a big class for them and losing Spielman is not ideal

Scott Frost has been a complete dumpster fire so far at Nebraska. I only see that ship sinking at this point. 

For some reason, the issues off the field haven't really been discussed by the national media. They've gone full Baylor over there and nobody really knows about it. 

1) https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2020/01/09/ex-nebraska-football-players-charged-sexual-assault-legrone-hunt-texted/4421478002/

2) 

3) 

FYI one of the women sexually assaulted is now a volleyball player at Texas. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Yeah, Shavers shot up the rankings at the end of the cycle due mainly to his crazy measurables. He never should have been rated that high. He hasn’t actually shown he’s good at football and since he hasn’t played for 3 years at Bama but has also been behind insane talent, he’s pretty much still just as much of a question mark as he was out of HS. Unless a coaching staff has an in with Bama coaches, it’s going to be really hard to determine how good he is. His measurbales probably still make him a. Take, but I’m skeptical he’d be ready to be a huge contributor in his first year, outside of just running some go routes. His profile fits our Z position well, but he’s just a huge question mark. 

I’d definitely prefer he go to Miss St than somewhere in our conference in case he puts it all together. 

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Wow. I remember when he was at UCF, it seemed like his players loved him. Coaching transitions are tough.

Yeah, he’s really struggled at Nebraska and all the transfers have been weird. Not a good sign for him, because he’s not just clearing out bread. HeMs lost someone good players and that roster is way too thin to overcome that. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not sure what happened at Nebraska but Spielman is legit. If he's a grad transfer Texas is probably going to give him a look if they're looking at another WR. He's definitely more proven than Shavers but not sure of positional fit.   Nebraska used him primarily in the slot. 

"Spielman had been away from the team since before the start of spring practice and his status with the team had long been a big question mark in the offseason. Spielman did not go through spring practices with Nebraska, and returned home to Minnesota in March to deal with what Nebraska officials called a “personal health matter.”

https://247sports.com/Article/JD-Spielman-Nebraska-Cornhuskers-wide-receiver-reacts-to-transfer-WanDale-Robinson-147973591/

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Take, but I’m skeptical he’d be ready to be a huge contributor in his first year, outside of just running some go routes. 

This is fair take but Shavers probably has a good bit of value if he can do that well based on the system and our need for speed outside. 

Collin Johnson's route tree was fairly limited but he stretched the field. Not saying Shavers is as good as CJ of course. 

26 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is fair take but Shavers probably has a good bit of value if he can do that well based on the system and our need for speed outside. 

Collin Johnson's route tree was fairly limited but he stretched the field. Not saying Shavers is as good as CJ of course. 

Shavers has more speed than CJ though...

Shavers 40:  4.38

CJ  40:    4.58

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Alabama-Football-WR-Chadarius-Townsend-enters-NCAA-transfer-portal-148012857/

Alabama WR Chadarius Townsend enters NCAA transfer portal

ByCHARLIE POTTER 5 hours ago

Alabama redshirt junior wide receiver Chadarius Townsend has entered the NCAA transfer portal, BamaOnLine has confirmed. Matt Zenitz of AL.com was first to report the move. 

"Thank you to the University of Alabama for giving me a chance to become a better version of myself," Townsend later tweeted. "Gonna my boys. Hopefully we all meet again. I will be using my last 2 years of eligibility elsewhere. Thank the man above."

Townsend worked with the running backs, wide receivers and defensive backs during his three seasons in Tuscaloosa and appeared in 17 total games, including five games a season ago. Seeing the field primarily on special teams and a reserve running back for the Crimson Tide in 2019, Townsend rushed for 22 yards on eight attempts as a redshirt sophomore.

Having already graduated from the University of Alabama, the Tanner, Ala., native will be immediately eligible at his next stop, should he indeed follow through and transfer from UA. 

With both Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs III moving on to the NFL, Townsend was expected to compete for a larger role. Now, he will look to continue his college career elsewhere. His likely departure leaves the Crimson Tide with eight scholarship receivers for the 2020 season. 

The 6-foot, 195-pound Townsend was a 4-star recruit in 2017, per the 247Sports Composite, and was the nation's No. 5 athlete, No. 7 player in Alabama and No. 175 overall prospect.

Established in October of 2018, the NCAA’s transfer portal now allows collegiate student-athletes to merely enter their name into an online database and wait for collegiate teams to contact them. It is also worth noting that players can withdraw their name from the portal, too.

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/2020/05/10/alabama-player-snapshot-no-12-chadarius-townsend/

Bama writer...

Analysis: Chadarius Townsend has done everything in his power to help his team out. Whether it was playing wide receiver, running back, special teams or even some cornerback, the north Alabama native has answered the call.

Unfortunately, that hasn’t let to a lot of on-the-field success thus far, but that doesn’t mean Townsend’s time isn’t coming — it just might need to start with getting more action on special teams.

As far as his position, he’s still listed as a wide receiver on roster, but like with running back, the receiver position is once again loaded with talent.

Could a move to the defensive side of the football help? Probably, as the Tide is seeking more depth in the secondary after the losses of Trevon Diggs, Xavier McKinney, Shyheim Carter and Jared Mayden, as well as the unexpected losses of Nigel Knott (medical/transfer) and Scooby Carter (transfer).

Keep an eye on Townsend during the offseason to see where he ends up.

https://247sports.com/Player/Chadarius-Townsend-83802/

• Like 1

We got a live one

Spoiler

Wells/IT: Iowa linebacker Dillion Doyle entered the NCAA Transfer Portal in the last 24 hours.

He his the son of Iowa’s S&C coach, Chris Doyle, who has been put on administrative leave by the university amid allegations of mistreatment of black players.

Doyle redshirted in 2018, started 13 games in 2019 where he tallied 23 tackles and a forced fumble.

I’m told there’s mutual interest from both Dillon and the University of Texas. Since he’s already redshirted, that would mean he’d potentially lose a season unless granted a waiver by the NCAA.

The 6-foot-3, 237-pound former three-star would likely be one of the best ILBs on campus immediately.

https://247sports.com/player/dillon-doyle-46039863/

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Like 1

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

We got a live one

Hide contents

Iowa linebacker Dillion Doyle entered the NCAA Transfer Portal in the last 24 hours.

He his the son of Iowa’s S&C coach, Chris Doyle, who has been put on administrative leave by the university amid allegations of mistreatment of black players.

Doyle redshirted in 2018, started 13 games in 2019 where he tallied 23 tackles and a forced fumble.

I’m told there’s mutual interest from both Dillon and the University of Texas. Since he’s already redshirted, that would mean he’d potentially lose a season unless granted a waiver by the NCAA.

The 6-foot-3, 237-pound former three-star would likely be one of the best ILBs on campus immediately.

that start number is hilarious. im guess he "started" on special teams? 

13 starts --> 23 tackles?

he wouldn't be one of the best ILBs on campus either I am guessing, yes his dad was S&C at Iowa but his 247 profile reports 3 offers: Iowa, Northern Ill. and UCF.

https://247sports.com/Player/Dillon-Doyle-46039863/high-school-191166/

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

We got a live one

Reveal hidden contents

Wells/IT: Iowa linebacker Dillion Doyle entered the NCAA Transfer Portal in the last 24 hours.

But is he Big XII good?

(I say that facetiously, but in all seriousness, would he be able to play in space against offenses that will likely try to isolate him in coverage?)

Edited by TheBryMan81

1 minute ago, TheBryMan81 said:

would be able to play in space against offenses that will likely try to isolate him in coverage?

No. Ran a 4.9 in hs. 4.2 shuttle, though. 

Skill players can get maxed in skills training, meatheads can get maxed in the weight room. This son of a S&C coach likely falls into the meathead camp and risks a transfer out of a young group. I'm out on this one until convinced otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

We got a live one

Reveal hidden contents

Well we need ILB depth, and I'm sure given his dad's extremely public defenestration that the Iowa roster wasn't a very pleasant place to be. Screw it why not?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Well we need ILB depth, and I'm sure given his dad's extremely public defenestration that the Iowa roster wasn't a very pleasant place to be. Screw it why not?

We don’t really need JAG depth. We need talent. We have plenty of ILBs right now: Overshown, Mitchell, Gbenda, Tillman, Jacques, and Adeoye (and maybe Owens). I doubt adding ole Dillon Doyle to the mix would make a difference, especially since Ash wants more speed at ILB. 

Doesn’t seem worth a scholarship and counter IMO. Plus, I’d bet he’s looking to go to a smaller school where he can start. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We don’t really need JAG depth. We need talent. We have plenty of ILBs right now: Overshown, Mitchell, Gbenda, Tillman, Jacques, and Adeoye (and maybe Owens). I doubt adding ole Dillon Doyle to the mix would make a difference, especially since Ash wants more speed at ILB. 

Doesn’t seem worth a scholarship and counter IMO. Plus, I’d bet he’s looking to go to a smaller school where he can start. 

While I don't want to burden the kid with the sins of the father, et al,  Herman and the staff have worked hard to regain the locker room and instill powerful team chemistry and it appears they've been successful.  This kid doesn't appear to have nearly enough athletic ability to risk bringing on board.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Kid whose dad has the " racist " tag hovering over his head?  I'm all for being altruistic. but not in this case. Hope the kid finds a good home at Nebraska or some other white bread school. But not here

20 hours ago, cafe society said:

While I don't want to burden the kid with the sins of the father, et al,  Herman and the staff have worked hard to regain the locker room and instill powerful team chemistry and it appears they've been successful.  This kid doesn't appear to have nearly enough athletic ability to risk bringing on board.

Roach:  "I did some checking and found that Iowa linebacker transfer Dillon Doyle is on the Texas radar. Doyle reached out to Texas and a few other schools to express some interest and the Longhorns are in fact finding mode right now. They’ve received some of his film and are evaluating him like they would any other recruit. Doyle’s father Chris was placed on administrative leave following allegations of racial disparities. We will see if Texas decides to take the next step."

Edited by LTtxfan

On 6/11/2020 at 10:38 AM, Burt Macklin said:

Is he a JAG? 

I didn't watch much of Iowa last season but he started 3 games as a RS FR for the #6 adjusted defense in the country. That doesn't seem like a JAG to me. 

Several Baylor coaches have started following him. The fact Aranda wants him tells me he's probably a good player. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 3

On 6/11/2020 at 8:17 AM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

We got a live one

Reveal hidden contents

Headed to Baylor.

26 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

North Shore kid - top 55 as a prospect.  Good player but has missed time due to random assortment of injuries.  2 years of eligibility.

12 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Yes please.

Is there vacancy in our secondary? He's looking for immediate playing time, so I think the answer is probably not.