2020 Transfer and Grad-Transfer Available Players

texifornia

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Other than the hit at around the 2:30 mark there are no real 'big play' moments - but there also aren't many false steps or plays where he gets caught up in the wash.  He also does a good job shedding blocks from OL despite looking pretty undersized out there.  He can run and he plays like a smart/instinctive player - I hope like hell he decides Texas is the place for him.

Yeah, Ash wants a fast defense and this guy fills the bill.

Edited by Bevo

48 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Other than the hit at around the 2:30 mark there are no real 'big play' moments - but there also aren't many false steps or plays where he gets caught up in the wash.  He also does a good job shedding blocks from OL despite looking pretty undersized out there.  He can run and he plays like a smart/instinctive player - I hope like hell he decides Texas is the place for him.

38 minutes ago, Fud said:

He looks like a solid P5 starting ILB.. which is better than what we've had there in years. Could be what Tre Watson was to the RB room. At the very least, he'd increase our chances of beating LSU. 

Yeah, I dont see him being a huge difference maker. He's more about raising the floor for our LB room this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

3 hours ago, Fud said:

He looks like a solid P5 starting ILB.. which is better than what we've had there in years. Could be what Tre Watson was to the RB room. At the very least, he'd increase our chances of beating LSU. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I dont see him being a huge difference maker. He's more about raising the floor for our LB room this year.

I think it's really hard to get an idea of Fields' potential ceiling based on this film.  First, he's going against Washington's offense, which (as we all know from Harsin's time here) is intended to attack linebackers' keys and force defenders into isolation.  Despite that, Fields is in on almost every single play on defense.

Second, Fields gets almost no help from the AU line.  He fights through at least one OL on every single snap.  On most snaps, he has to deal with two offensive players blocking him.  Even with that, he is in the vicinity of the ball on every play.

I'm not sure what more you could want from a LB transfer candidate.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Great point. 

Why would we want a linebacker who can diagnose Power, make the guard (with a downblock angle) miss and stop the RB in the hole for a very short gain?

oeK0NX.gif

This one might be even worse.  Who wants an LB who can shed two offensive linemen on the same play to assist on a tackle and get the other team off the field on 4th and short?

NtjCiN.gif

Frankly, this one just makes me sick.  Who wants a linebacker who can take stone an offensive guard and keep half of his body free to bring down a running back in the hole for a short gain?

TWSKDW.gif

Worth noting that I was able to get these three examples from just the first 8 snaps on the clip.

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That play at the :37 mark where he haphazardly blitzes into the left side of the line, only to have the running back take off to the right for about 50 yards gave me Todd Orlando PTSD. I need to go take a shower now.

Yes, that was a tough one.  Gotta think that was a designated blitz, though, as he make a beeline for the QB (not the RB), despite the long developing handoff.  He also clearly ignores the pulling lineman key.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Thx @Katfid54 

Btw, what does tape vs Washington have to do with Harsin??   (I'm confused)

Harsin cut his teeth under Chris Petersen.  He was TE coach when Petersen was OC at Boise.  Then, when Petersen took over as head coach at Boise, Harsin was his OC.  The two run the same offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Fud said:

Where did you see this? 

cant remember. it was on surly though. there was something about Cook still working out with the team and juwan mitchell being there to. thought it was crazy talk , since Mitchell wasnt in the portal for more than a day or so, so that made no sense.

But there hasnt been anything on Cook. who you would think would find a home quickly.

https://www.al.com/sec/2020/07/quarterback-alabama-native-james-foster-set-to-transfer-from-texas-am.html

Quarterback, Alabama native James Foster set to transfer from Texas A&M

By Matt Zenitz | mzenitz@al.com

Posted Jul 24, 2020

5VHU6ASI3RHTJDZLWO7OERCXBE.jpg

James Foster was a four-star member of Texas A&M's 2018 signing class

Four days after Tank Jenkins began the process of transferring from Texas A&M, his cousin is now set to leave the Aggies too.  Quarterback James Foster entered the NCAA transfer portal Friday night, AL.com has learned.  Like Jenkins, Foster is a Montgomery, Ala. native and was part of Texas A&M’s 2018 signing class.

After redshirting in 2018, the Lanier High School product was the Aggies’ third-string quarterback last year and was set to enter the fall once again third on the depth chart behind returning starter Kellen Mond and redshirt freshman Zach Calzada.

A former four-star recruit, Foster was ranked as the 12th-best dual-threat quarterback and 271st-best overall prospect in that 2018 recruiting class within the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Foster briefly entered the transfer portal last September but was withdrawn from the portal that same day. Now, he’s back in.

(Matt Zenitz is a senior SEC football reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @mzenitz.)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29525452/two-mississippi-state-transfers-eligible-season-florida-state

Two Mississippi State football transfers eligible this season at Florida State

Jul 23, 2020     Mark Schlabach  ESPN SR Writer

Two former Mississippi State players who transferred to Florida State will be eligible to play for the Seminoles this season after the NCAA granted them waivers, the school announced on Thursday.  Former Bulldogs defensive back Jarrian Jones and defensive tackle Fabien Lovett will add experience and depth to new FSU coach Mike Norvell's defense.

"We are fired up for Jarrian and Fabien to have this opportunity to compete this season," Norvell said in a statement. "The entire Florida State family is grateful to the NCAA committee for their time considering these appeals for two great young men. Jarrian and Fabien are tremendous football players who have already had a positive impact on our program, and I'm looking forward to seeing that impact continue to grow."

Lovett transferred to FSU in April after criticizing Bulldogs coach Mike Leach's tweet that showed a meme of a woman knitting a noose for her husband during self-quarantine. He has three years of eligibility remaining.  Lovett started 13 games at Mississippi State and had 19 tackles, including 2½ for loss with one sack.

Jones, an ESPN 300 prospect in 2019, announced that he was transferring to Ole Miss, but then changed his mind and enrolled at Florida State. He also has three years of eligibility remaining.  In high school, Jones committed to Mississippi State during his recruitment, decommitted, committed to Oklahoma, decommitted from the Sooners and eventually signed with the Bulldogs.

Last season as a freshman, Jones appeared in 11 games at Mississippi State with one start and had 12 tackles, two pass breakups and one fumble recovery.

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I guess we’ll find out how serious he is about Texas soon. This would be a great addition. We need more stability in the LB room, and we have signee spots. 

We’re in his top 3 per TFB.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not even close. 

And that's great because would rather have Texas competing against WVU and Minn rather than USC and Utah for a kid who is from Las Vegas. Unless there is a dark horse school, Texas should be sitting pretty in this recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2020 at 1:44 PM, Katfid54 said:

I think it's really hard to get an idea of Fields' potential ceiling based on this film.  First, he's going against Washington's offense, which (as we all know from Harsin's time here) is intended to attack linebackers' keys and force defenders into isolation.  Despite that, Fields is in on almost every single play on defense.

Second, Fields gets almost no help from the AU line.  He fights through at least one OL on every single snap.  On most snaps, he has to deal with two offensive players blocking him.  Even with that, he is in the vicinity of the ball on every play.

I'm not sure what more you could want from a LB transfer candidate.

I was going to say the Arizona DL is not the same caliber that he'd see in front of him at Texas. My guess is that OL would not get free reign on him like they did in the Washington film. Not too mention that the secondary would be much better and probably the scheme as well. Sumlin's defenses have been abysmal to awful much of his head coaching career.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

And that's great because would rather have Texas competing against WVU and Minn rather than USC and Utah for a kid who is from Las Vegas. Unless there is a dark horse school, Texas should be sitting pretty in this recruitment.

My guess there is a reason he is leaving the Pac 12, and transferring to another Pac 12 school was never in the cards.

5 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

WVU literally doesn't have a DC at the moment seeing as they just fired their last one for being a bigoted shitheel

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Yeah, Fleck is a great recruiter *for Minnesota*, but we look great here.

Regarding the other two teams in Fields' top three

Minnesota has two kids on the team from Fields' high school, and one of their starting ILBs got injured in the spring and is out for the fall

West Virginia's DB coach recruited Fields to Arizona 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

Minnesota has two kids on the team from Fields' high school, and one of their starting ILBs got injured in the spring and is out for the fall

Thats some next level 9.95'er analysis.  Now that you've posted it there is going to be a 6000 word 247 article restating it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
West Virginia, Texas, Minnesota

51 minutes ago, Fud said:

basketball miss GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

West Virginia, Texas, Minnesota

There was a time when I would have been furious if a player Texas wanted would even consider mentioning WVU or Minnesota in the same breath. 

Alas, a handful or Maryland and Iowa State losses later, and here we are. Digging through the bargain basement. 

• Fuck You 10

5 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

There was a time when I would have been furious if a player Texas wanted would even consider mentioning WVU or Minnesota in the same breath. 

Alas, a handful or Maryland and Iowa State losses later, and here we are. Digging through the bargain basement. 

He's a good player at our weakest position with existing connections to those schools. Get over yourself.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

There are several NFL draft “analysts” that think Fields is a NFL talent. At our weakest position on the roster. 

If this is the bargain basement I’m all in on this bargain. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Good point.  Who in their right mind wants a linebacker who can do this?

lCaRAK.gif

Edited by Katfid54
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha get fucked 

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Beyond that, Fields had other good offers. 

Utah has been near the top at evaluating defensive talent. USC also wanted him. 

It’s not like WV and Minnesota were the only schools that wanted him. 

Regardless of what other schools think, it is obvious from film that the guy can run and shed blocks and react. If you look at our roster, who else could you say that about? A third of the guys like Overshown and Foster you would have to project. Another third are guys like Mitchell who have  already shown their limited ability. And the remaining third are unproven guys like Gbenda and Tillman.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

USC also wanted him. 

My understanding is that USC's LBs coach is one of the top evaluators in the game and anyone that he decides to recruit* is worth going after.

*he has decided to never recruit anyone, ever.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Regardless of what other schools think, it is obvious from film that the guy can run and shed blocks and react. If you look at our roster, who else could you say that about? A third of the guys like Overshown and Foster you would have to project. Another third are guys like Mitchell who have  already shown their limited ability. And the remaining third are unproven guys like Gbenda and Tillman.

If my math is correct, then we have no one like him.  

14 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

My understanding is that USC's LBs coach is one of the top evaluators in the game and anyone that he decides to recruit* is worth going after.

*he has decided to never recruit anyone, ever.

USC has actually made some smart hires on defense with So’oto and Williams. 

I get the idea Orlando isn’t running that show by himself. I’m betting they sold Williams on being a Co-DC type role. Think he’s officially listed as a “passing game coordinator”. 

Edited by texasstrong12