2020 Transfer and Grad-Transfer Available Players

texifornia

https://www.buffzone.com/2020/05/29/antonio-alfano-no-longer-with-cu-buffs-football-team/

#1 overall recruit from the c/o 2019 dismissed from the Colorado football team. Originally committed to Alabama then got kicked off that team before transferring to CU. Played for three different high schools before graduating (sensing a trend here?). Heavily recruited by Penn State out of high school, but rumors were that Penn State's other recruits threatened to decommit if Alfano joined the class.

Let the Georgia QB Soap Opera drama begin...

https://www.12up.com/posts/georgia-terrible-landing-spot-former-usc-quarterback-jt-daniels-01e9ef83enk8

"Georgia is a Terrible Landing Spot for Former USC Quarterback JT Daniels"

Wonder if Georgia holds on to top 2021 QB recruit Brock Vandagriff??

https://247sports.com/Player/Brock-Vandagriff-46050870/

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Let the Georgia QB Soap Opera drama begin...

https://www.12up.com/posts/georgia-terrible-landing-spot-former-usc-quarterback-jt-daniels-01e9ef83enk8

"Georgia is a Terrible Landing Spot for Former USC Quarterback JT Daniels"

Wonder if Georgia holds on to top 2021 QB recruit Brock Vandagriff??

https://247sports.com/Player/Brock-Vandagriff-46050870/

Unless the kid is insisting on starting his freshman year why would he bail? Newman starts this year while Daniels sits then Vandagriff sits and redshirts behind Daniels for 1 year before taking over, Seems like a pretty clear succession plan to me. 

10 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Unless the kid is insisting on starting his freshman year why would he bail? Newman starts this year while Daniels sits then Vandagriff sits and redshirts behind Daniels for 1 year before taking over, Seems like a pretty clear succession plan to me. 

Daniels has 3yrs eligibility, so Vandagriff might have to wait 2yrs to play??

Edited by LTtxfan

11 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting ... 6'6", with a verified 4.38.

Bama still has Waddle and Smith, but most of the other guys are 6'1" or below, and not huge names.  (Guess if they are good enough, size may not matter - ask South Austin's mom ... )

Wonder whether he has any red flags, and if not, whether we would be interested.

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He's a grad-transfer with two years eligibility left.

Not much production... did ole Saban encourage him to move on??

"Shavers saw time as a reserve in all 13 games last season. As a redshirt sophomore, he recorded one reception for 20 yards, one rush for 14 yards and also recovered a blocked punt for a touchdown. Having already graduated from the University of Alabama, the Lewisville, Texas, native will be immediately eligible should he indeed follow through and transfer. "

Wonder if SMU has a spot for him??

Edited by LTtxfan

Didn't see much on the Bama board - wished him luck, talked about needing departures to get to 85.

Could well be just concerns about playing time.  Heading into his RS Junior year, and knowing Waddle and Smith would be the clear #1 and #2 options, so he would at best be contending for #3 .... 

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Didn't see much on the Bama board - wished him luck, talked about needing departures to get to 85.

Could well be just concerns about playing time.  Heading into his RS Junior year, and knowing Waddle and Smith would be the clear #1 and #2 options, so he would at best be contending for #3 .... 

Looks like a guy that had basically been slotted into a special teams role - but would rather move on somewhere else where he can compete for time.

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Looks like a guy that had basically been slotted into a special teams role - but would rather move on somewhere else where he can compete for time.

Yeah, minimal production as a receiver. 

Normally that would make you wonder, but when you consider the receiving corps Bama had, perhaps that's not as severe an indictment.

44 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember him as a prospect. Super raw with a ton of physical upside. He basically only ran go routes in HS. Hard to say if he never developed, or if he’s pretty good but just couldn’t beat out a bunch of first rounders. 

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I remember him as a prospect. Super raw with a ton of physical upside. He basically only ran go routes in HS. Hard to say if he never developed, or if he’s pretty good but just couldn’t beat out a bunch of first rounders. 

he blew up really fast and committed to Bama.. Was it Burton who was whining about us missing out on a high ceiling WR when describing Shavers?

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

he blew up really fast and committed to Bama.. Was it Burton who was whining about us missing out on a high ceiling WR when describing Shavers?

Combination of Saban being almost invincible at the time and Charlie basically not recruiting until Christmas so we lost almost everyone who committed before then.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

sounds like he played a ton of special teams - 15 games in his RS Freshman year, 13 games his SO year...career 1 rush for 14 yards and 1 catch for 20 yards

https://rolltide.com/sports/football/roster/tyrell-shavers/6372

Remember wanting him pretty bad as a recruit...

Shavers seems more likely to end up at SMU, Baylor or TCU.  Getting into Texas Grad School this late probably too difficult...

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Shavers seems more likely to end up at SMU, Baylor or TCU.  Getting into Texas Grad School this late probably too difficult...

Rules change says he doesn't actually have to get into grad school.  He could take undergraduate courses and work towards a second degree.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Shavers' follows are extremely Baylor-y, fyi.

Considering our young talent and already adding Black, I doubt we’ll be too interested, so it’s likely going to be a Baylor-TCU-SMU kind of battle. Maybe okie state would be willing to take a flyer based on his athletic gifts. 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Considering our young talent and already adding Black, I doubt we’ll be too interested, so it’s likely going to be a Baylor-TCU-SMU kind of battle. Maybe okie state would be willing to take a flyer based on his athletic gifts. 

Black was the 15th ranked WR in that 2017 class - Shavers was 12th.  They were both ahead of CeeDee Lamb (ranked 24th WR).

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

His height and speed would likely do very well in Yurcich's offense.

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Black was the 15th ranked WR in that 2017 class - Shavers was 12th.  They were both ahead of CeeDee Lamb (ranked 24th WR).

Yeah, but Black has shown more in college, and he’s already here. I doubt they take 2 GT WRs this year, but who knows? Maybe Coleman or Yurcich really, really like him. 

37 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

His height and speed would likely do very well in Yurcich's offense.

If he’s actually good at playing the position, which is hard to say since he was super raw coming out of HS, and he’s barely played in 3 years. I’d be all for taking a flyer on him, but with already taking a GT WR and all the young guys who will want playing time, the staff would either have to piss off Shavers or piss off the second year guys already on the roster. I just don’t see a lot of room for immediate playing time for Shavers, which he’s going to want, and I also don’t think the staff will be confident enough that he’s a big time player to bring him in and create more of a log jam at WR. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

41 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Given this years WR recruiting I would think we should be moderately interested. 

Shavers only has two years to play, so he really has nothing to do with who we get in the 2021 class. He would be addressing a completely different need than those guys. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Shavers only has two years to play, so he really has nothing to do with who we get in the 2021 class. He would be addressing a completely different need than those guys. 

Well so far we have missed on most of our targets so it would be pretty hard to lose guys due to Shavers.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Well, Brennan is threatening to sit out, so yeah maybe. 

I doubt he’ll even miss a game, but even still, Shavers isn’t ready to come in and start at X.
That’s the tough part about Shavers. He’s still raw and doesn’t have a whole lot of experience, but you only get him for two years. With being limited to just fall camp, Shavers will be hard pressed to make an impact this year, so you’re spending a signing spot and two years of a scholarship on a guy who can probably only contribute meaningfully for a year. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I doubt he’ll even miss a game, but even still, Shavers isn’t ready to come in and start at X.
That’s the tough part about Shavers. He’s still raw and doesn’t have a whole lot of experience, but you only get him for two years. With being limited to just fall camp, Shavers will be hard pressed to make an impact this year, so you’re spending a signing spot and two years of a scholarship on a guy who can probably only contribute meaningfully for a year. 

We salivated over shavers our of HS. Our WR depth chart is not great. Even with 2 years and still raw you take him, imo. Who knows if we catch lightning. 

Shavers physical upside make him a take. I'm not even the biggest Shavers fan  and I think he'll end up at Baylor but I think he can be as raw as he wants and still contribute big time in Yurchich offense. Sure, it's not as simplistic as the Briles offense, but there is more than enough snaps for a big guy that can get up and over the top of the defense to get in there and put that pressure on them, How many OKState WRs does that sound like? With a mobile QB and some underneath guys with dangerous speed (Smith, Whittington, Dixon) those simple go routes take on a new level of pressure for defenders and creates space. Yes, he's limited and raw -- but it's like the Mike Tyson quote "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" -- knowing that he's running a go and clearing defenders for underneath routes to have more space and/or for the QB run game, doesn't suddenly mean that you've got it covered. Esp if your safety duo both run in the 4.8 range (*cough* OU *cough*) 

I don't think he'd have near the impact that a healthy Black would/will, but you don't say no to that size/speed combo out of hand just because it's raw, not with this depth chart. Maybe if you had some more complete WRs on the roster you could, but right now, he'd have plenty of snaps vs. this depth chart. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We salivated over shavers our of HS. Our WR depth chart is not great. Even with 2 years and still raw you take him, imo. Who knows if we catch lightning. 

I think he’s good enough to be a take. I just don’t think the staff will take him. They tend to be over-confident in what they already have on campus and they have to be careful about causing problems by bringing in another guy in a WR room with a lot of young guys who want playing time and one that almost fell apart last year and is still on shaky ground. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Shavers recent relevant follows

- Ehlinger
- Like five Baylor coaches
- A Florida coach
- Trejan Bridges (OU has already taken two WR transfers in this class)

Kind of surprised his follows haven't blown up more

Shavers is pretty much the ideal Z in terms of traits, although obviously he doesn't have much production yet. Fast as fuck, 6'5-6'6, and tracks the deep ball really well. DC's would need to give deep help on him, or Yurcich would probably have Sam throwing deep every time. 

He'd make sense if Texas ever actually goes 10 personnel, but it's en vogue to stay in 11 at almost all times, and Herman has been at the forefront of that, arguably to his detriment. If you're staying in 11, I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to use a class counter to take another WR when you already have Eagles, Black, Smith, Whittington, Moore, and Washington, and maybe even Omeire and Lewis, fighting for scraps. You'd basically be using two class counters for one outside WR spot, between Black and Shavers. I suppose though that he's potentially insurance for the WR room divas/idiots/injury prones, and could potentially replace Black/Eagles leaving for the draft. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Shavers is pretty much the ideal Z in terms of traits, although obviously he doesn't have much production yet. Fast as fuck, 6'5-6'6, and tracks the deep ball really well. DC's would need to give deep help on him, or Yurcich would probably have Sam throwing deep every time. 

He'd make sense if Texas ever actually goes 10 personnel, but it's en vogue to stay in 11 at almost all times, and Herman has been at the forefront of that, arguably to his detriment. If you're staying in 11, I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to use a class counter to take another WR when you already have Eagles, Black, Smith, Whittington, Moore, and Washington, and maybe even Omeire and Lewis, fighting for scraps. You'd basically be using two class counters for one outside WR spot, between Black and Shavers. I suppose though that he's potentially insurance for the WR room divas/idiots/injury prones, and could potentially replace Black/Eagles leaving for the draft. 

What about no Eagles scenario?

Edited by Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What about no Eagles scenario?

I’m not too worried about him right now in regards to quitting, but he’s in the diva/idiot/injury prone group since he randomly decided to not practice last year and missed a game 

48 minutes ago, Fud said:

I’m not too worried about him right now in regards to quitting, but he’s in the diva/idiot/injury prone group since he randomly decided to not practice last year and missed a game 

Wasn’t that tantrum purely Mehringer related?