2020 Transfer and Grad-Transfer Available Players

texifornia

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Only other offer I see on his page is from Minnesota.

He's following/being followed by a whole bunch of big programs. This'll be a dogfight. He's a Vegas kid who went to UA so weather/culture might work in our favor here.

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

He's following/being followed by a whole bunch of big programs. This'll be a dogfight. He's a Vegas kid who went to UA so weather/culture might work in our favor here.

He's also a bit undersized. A much better fit in the Big 12/Pac 12 than some other conferences. 

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, looks like half the of the P5 is already recruiting him 

On 6/8/2020 at 11:37 AM, texasstrong12 said:

Not sure what happened at Nebraska but Spielman is legit. If he's a grad transfer Texas is probably going to give him a look if they're looking at another WR. He's definitely more proven than Shavers but not sure of positional fit. 

Nebraska used him primarily in the slot. 

This guy ended up at TCU.

Roach on Tony Fields II

—I’ve been checking with sources regarding Arizona graduate transfer linebacker Tony Fields. In checking with sources at Texas there is definite interest. The Longhorns are lacking in experience and depth at the weakside linebacker position and feel that Fields can fit that role. A former three-star prospect from Las Vegas (NV) Desert Pines, Fields chose Arizona over offers from BYU, Boise State, Missouri, Illinois and Washington State in 2017. Fields played for three years at Arizona starting in all 37 games from the time he arrived on campus and amassed 287 total tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks and 2 interceptions. Boise State, Minnesota, USC, UCLA and West Virginia have also offered.

—Sources on the Texas side indicate some optimism with Fields early. Discussions between both sides have been strong and Fields knows there’s a need for immediate playing time in Austin. I’ve been trying to get in touch with Fields to see what he has to say, but sources told 247Sports that Fields would love an opportunity to play in the SEC. So far, no SEC programs have offered, and I’m not sure exactly what his timeline for decision is. We will continue to dig in to see what we can find out.

On 7/17/2020 at 7:54 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is the first I’ve seen of an ‘offer’

21 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Roach: Sources on the Texas side indicate some optimism w/Fields early. Discussions between both sides have been strong and Fields knows there’s a need for immediate playing time in Austin.   Sources told 247 that Fields would love an opportunity to play in the SEC. So far, no SEC programs have offered, and I’m not sure exactly what his timeline for decision is. We will continue to dig in to see what we can find out.

We've got a former SEC LB coach... Close the deal Coach Hutzler!!

Edited by LTtxfan

15 hours ago, Wayne said:

Roach on Tony Fields II

—I’ve been checking with sources regarding Arizona graduate transfer linebacker Tony Fields. In checking with sources at Texas there is definite interest. The Longhorns are lacking in experience and depth at the weakside linebacker position and feel that Fields can fit that role. A former three-star prospect from Las Vegas (NV) Desert Pines, Fields chose Arizona over offers from BYU, Boise State, Missouri, Illinois and Washington State in 2017. Fields played for three years at Arizona starting in all 37 games from the time he arrived on campus and amassed 287 total tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks and 2 interceptions. Boise State, Minnesota, USC, UCLA and West Virginia have also offered.

—Sources on the Texas side indicate some optimism with Fields early. Discussions between both sides have been strong and Fields knows there’s a need for immediate playing time in Austin. I’ve been trying to get in touch with Fields to see what he has to say, but sources told 247Sports that Fields would love an opportunity to play in the SEC. So far, no SEC programs have offered, and I’m not sure exactly what his timeline for decision is. We will continue to dig in to see what we can find out.

Ian Boyd thinks Fields would back up Juwan Mitchell. 

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ian Boyd thinks Fields would back up Juwan Mitchell. 

I'm not one to typically defend Ian, but I do think what he actually said/meant should come across

In the conversation; "He's not a lock to be better than Mitchell, that's my point"

Of course, if the coaches are pursuing him, then the might believe otherwise, or they don't trust a guy who's almost transferred like four times

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm not one to typically defend Ian, but I do think what he actually said/meant should come across

In the conversation; "He's not a lock to be better than Mitchell, that's my point"

Of course, if the coaches are pursuing him, then the might believe otherwise, or they don't trust a guy who's almost transferred like four times

Speaking of Mitchell, looks like he's realigned (for now)

34 minutes ago, Fud said:

His overall tone in that thread suggests he doesn't think he's any better than Mitchell, but you're right, he couched it. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

His overall tone in that thread suggests he doesn't think he's any better than Mitchell, but you're right, he couched it. 

He's biased towards players being better at stopping the passing game, and thinks Mitchell is better at getting drops and blitzing than Fields 

I wonder if the staff doesn't trust Mitchell to not randomly throw a fit about something and take off 

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Divaad Wilson is from Miami Northwestern, I guess the Canes would be an expected landing spot. Maybe FAU with Meiko Dotoson gone to FSU? 

FAU has done a nice job of positioning itself to be the transfer landing spot when kids want to come back to Florida. Good move, imo. It's what SMU is trying, but they're also trying to $core big recruits in the same motion which isn't as effective. UTSA would be a good spot to try this. 

https://247sports.com/college/florida-atlantic/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

• Like 1

In the Utah game, with Naivar calling the shots and a much better gameplan to attack from, Mitchell was outshined by Adeoye and Cort Jacquess, FFS. Cort Jacquess.

Most of the season Mitchell was often out of position because he was late to read and late to react (not just Orlando's bullshit scheme). He carried a lot of bad weight at Texas that he didn't have when they recruited from JUCO and clearly was not giving the effort that the coaches expect day-to-day. He absolutely needed to drop those 15 pounds -- perhaps with the weight loss will come an unfucking of his head because I outside of that there is no world in which he beats out Fields and I've seen nothing to support the claim that he will do the little things it takes. (outside of his self-reported weight loss, perhaps)

• Hook 'Em 4

On 7/21/2020 at 1:54 PM, Fud said:

Ian's right IF Mitchell can get his head on straight and start working, but that seems very questionable at this point.  Plus, even if Mitchell is better, we need depth and I don't see why they couldn't both play a good amount. I don't view adding Fields as an either/or. Our two ILB spots dont require drastically different skill sets. 

51 minutes ago, texifornia said:

How many transfers has Freshwater taken at this point?  He really seems like he's going full Last Chance U. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ian's right IF Mitchell can get his head on straight and start working, but that seems very questionable at this point.  Plus, even if Mitchell is better, we need depth and I don't see why they couldn't both play a good amount. I don't view adding Fields as an either/or. Our two ILB spots dont require drastically different skill sets. 

I don't think both would be in the game against good spread offenses, probably one of them and then an Overshown, Tillman, Gbenda, or even Foster, if one is ready to go. You can hide one ILB type against these offenses, but not two. 

I'd take him though, his value for this important season far outweighs the risk of using a class counter on a guy who could potentially get beaten out. Even if he gets beat out, LBs get injured frequently and he adds depth. And a veteran presence. And insurance against Mitchell randomly deciding to transfer. He's probably worth the class counter for LSU alone. 

With so many teams after him though, I'm skeptical about our chances of landing him, there have to be teams that are worse off than us at LB, although if he's leaving Arizona, it must be to give himself a shot to win big, so maybe that gives us a shot as a realistic playoff contender 

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't think both would be in the game against good spread offenses, probably one of them and then an Overshown, Tillman, Gbenda, or even Foster, if one is ready to go. You can hide one ILB type against these offenses, but not two. 

I'd take him though, his value for this important season far outweighs the risk of using a class counter on a guy who could potentially get beaten out. Even if he gets beat out, LBs get injured frequently and he adds depth. And a veteran presence. And insurance against Mitchell randomly deciding to transfer. He's probably worth the class counter for LSU alone. 

With so many teams after him though, I'm skeptical about our chances of landing him, there have to be teams that are worse off than us at LB, although if he's leaving Arizona, it must be to give himself a shot to win big, so maybe that gives us a shot as a realistic playoff contender 

I haven't watched any of Fields, so I don't know if he has the mobility you'd want, but I'm just saying Ash doesn't ask for a much different skillset for each ILB in his defense. 

I agree he's worth the counter, even if he just ends up being quality depth. We have way too many question marks at that position.  Also, the number of schools after him make me think he's likely better than Mitchell. 

We normally only give walk-ons a scholarship their senior year if there are any left under the 85 limit.

The only underclassman walk-ons that I recall receiving scholarships were kickers and punters who ended up keeping their scholarships in subsequent years.

1 minute ago, BornOrange said:

We normally only give walk-ons a scholarship their senior year if there are any left under the 85 limit.

The only underclassman walk-ons that I recall receiving scholarships were kickers and punters who ended up keeping their scholarships in subsequent years.

Just last year Russell Hine ( https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/russell-hine/9777 ) got one, as well as Luke and couple of seniors.

5 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

A feature of Herman’s program is landing the best preferred walkons in the country, which requires keeping a couple of them on scholarship as evidence that he’ll follow through 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Just last year Russell Hine ( https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/russell-hine/9777 ) got one, as well as Luke and couple of seniors.

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

A feature of Herman’s program is landing the best preferred walkons in the country, which requires keeping a couple of them on scholarship as evidence that he’ll follow through 

I forgot about Hine getting one too.

I agree we should promote the preferred walk-ons, but putting them on scholarship for 3 years in Hine's case and 4 years in Luke Brock's case may be a little much.

12 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I forgot about Hine getting one too.

I agree we should promote the preferred walk-ons, but putting them on scholarship for 3 years in Hine's case and 4 years in Luke Brock's case may be a little much.

Most of them are after two years so they don’t count again the 25, and are typically players who’d be good enough to play P5 elsewhere, so it’s a great way to add potential contributors outside of the 25, if that makes sense. It really helps with team depth 

• Hook 'Em 1

OBs on Fields

Here is a nugget worth filing away.

Keep an eye on Arizona grad transfer linebacker Tony Fields II.

Texas recently offered Fields a scholarship, but the staff wanted to make sure the interest was mutual. They did not want to pursue a player who did not have any interest in attending Texas.

Well, it appears Fields is very interested in the Longhorns.

Fields recently spoke with Longhorn staff members, and those conversations went very well. Like any recruitment, we have to see how this plays out. For now, the first hurdle has been cleared, which was establishing mutual interest.

Fields started every game over the past three years for the Wildcats – 37 straight – at the “Will” linebacker spot. He accumulated 287 tackles, including 17 for losses and 8.5 sacks. He defended six passes and had two interceptions. He reportedly was slated to start in Arizona’s new coordinator Paul Rhoads’ 3-4 defense, which features two inside linebackers.

Herman has developed a knack for signing grad transfers.

Texas acquired Michigan grad transfer receiver Tarik Black committed in April. Herman previously acquired tight end Kendall Moore, left tackle Calvin Anderson, running back Tre Watson, and guard Parker Braun as grad transfers. Each player received significant playing time during his one season at Texas. Anderson is currently with the Denver Broncos, while Braun turned down an NFLPA Collegiate Bowl invite because he wanted to graduate from Texas.

It is important to remember the recent grad transfer rules.

Previously, the NCAA required grad transfers to be accepted into a master’s program at their new university. The NCAA changed that rule in April allowing grad transfers to enroll in a graduate program or pursue a second bachelor’s degree. Basically, if Fields transfers to Texas, he is free to choose his next academic move.

I will keep you posted.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Hadn't seen any videos of Fields posted yet - but this is every defensive snap against Washington last year (with Fields identified):

From an article about Fields draft stock:

https://zonazealots.com/2020/06/16/arizona-football-tony-fields-ii-is-underrated-says-one-nfl-analyst/

I'm no expert but this tape vs Udub didn't impress me.  I know he brings ton of experience and production.. so I'll leave it to the true analysts.

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm no expert but this tape vs Udub didn't impress me.  I know he brings ton of experience and production.. so I'll leave it to the true analysts.

Other than the hit at around the 2:30 mark there are no real 'big play' moments - but there also aren't many false steps or plays where he gets caught up in the wash.  He also does a good job shedding blocks from OL despite looking pretty undersized out there.  He can run and he plays like a smart/instinctive player - I hope like hell he decides Texas is the place for him.

• Hook 'Em 2