2020 Transfer and Grad-Transfer Available Players

texifornia

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol if we pull him after only talking to him yesterday

UVA: "Here's our detailed plan to land one of the nation's most coveted FCS grad transfers"

Texas: "I mean, I guess it would be nice to have another back? Fuck it, like some of his tweets, yolo."

• Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Herman's pretty consistently gone after grad transfers throughout his time at UT - he added Tarik Black just this year. Why's this any different?

Because the common fan believes we have no issues at RB and most worry about the feelings of returning players. He also has not brought in a player where no holes exist. Going after him is good.

17 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Because the common fan believes we have no issues at RB and most worry about the feelings of returning players. He also has not brought in a player where no holes exist. Going after him is good.

Kinda what the 1 year grad transfer market is all about

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

To answer my own question on why we're going after grad transfer RBs, per Chip Brown Daniel Young may sit out the season. 

With the uncertainty surrounding Covid and us having extra scholarship spots, there's really no good reason to not take quality players wherever you can. Even just improving depth could be critical considering we have no idea what will happen this season. We could have entire position groups coming down with Covid (if we even have a season).

14 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB says Fields is taking a visit to Austin this week

200.gif

https://dailyprogress.com/sports/fcs-all-american-shane-simpson-reveals-the-unique-way-he-decided-to-commit-to-virginia/article_7597f571-e3e4-5b0e-babc-eec77232e25e.html

FCS All-American Shane Simpson reveals the unique way he decided to commit to Virginia

Shane Simpson sat in his room Sunday evening 10 minutes prior to announcing his transfer decision, still undecided.

Simpson, a 2018 FCS All-American running back from Towson, was choosing between Virginia and Texas.

The NFL hopeful sat down, prayed and asked God for a sign. He then wrote down “UVa” on three pieces of paper and “Texas” on another three pieces of paper. He put them in a hat, closed his eyes and picked the pieces of paper out of the hat.

“I put my hand in the hat. Literally all three times it was UVa, not once was it Texas,” Simpson said, “so that was my sign.”

Simpson says he felt a strong connection between both the Texas and Virginia coaching staffs, and if he drew Texas, he would’ve felt comfortable joining the Longhorns. Instead, he’s coming to Charlottesville.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Makes sense - get his degree, skip the weird COVID year, and grad transfer somewhere he can get snaps.

There was already talk that Young was moving to LB. I'm not sure he was going to play RB this year. He is still listed as a RB on the roster. 

But yeah, that wouldn't be surprising at all. Like with Kyle Porter a couple years ago. 

Edited by texasstrong12

23 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

There was already talk that Young was moving to LB. I'm not sure he was going to play RB this year. He is still listed as a RB on the roster. 

But yeah, that wouldn't be surprising at all. Like with Kyle Porter a couple years ago. 

Get a red shirt year to acclimate to LB?  Sounds like a good idea

Horns 247 / Blair Angulo / Arizona transfer feels Texas energy

Spoiler

Arizona transfer feels Texas energy
BLAIR ANGULO

Tony Fields entered the NCAA Transfer Portal a couple weeks ago and has a trio of programs atop his list of suitors.

The former Arizona linebacker, who was originally a part of the 2017 recruiting class, is choosing between Minnesota, Texas and West Virginia to play his final college season.

“Schematically, I understand the defenses more and I understand where I’ll fit, so it was easier to narrow down my decision to those three,” Fields said. “I haven’t set a deadline. I’m trying to play everything by ear. Whether the season is in the fall or the spring or whatever is going to happen, I’m kind of waiting on that to be able to make a commitment and know where I’m headed next.”

Fields, a 6-foot-2, 225-pound prospect, signed with the Wildcats in 2017 out of Las Vegas (Nev.) Desert Pines. He has started all 37 games in his college career, having been named a Freshman All-American a few years ago. Fields ranked second in total tackles at Arizona last season.

The Longhorns entered the picture early and Fields said he's very intrigued by what they have to offer moving forward.

“That’s one of the biggest platforms in college football and it’s one of the reasons why they are on my radar,” Fields said. “But, also, it’s their coaching staff. They are super fired up. I talked to coach Tom Herman and they have been very active recruiting me from Day 1 and haven’t slowed down. I’ve built a good relationship with them.

“Their scheme is big and I trust everything they’ve got going on. I think I’d fit in well in their scheme. They have a lot of great pieces on that team already and the coaches sound like they have things set up.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Auburn T, Justin Osborne in the portal

Class of 2019, graduated from IMG but is from Flower Mound. Was rated a .88 3*.

https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Osborne-46038751/

Recent follows include some rapelor and cougar high staff. Also some Butler CC follows. 

Edit to add: 247 rated him as a Guard, so if he's actually a Guard, we would be out. 6'4, 300 doesn't scream tackle body. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

247 / Chris Hummer / Top Arizona LB transfer Tony Fields breaks down his finalists

Another day, another 247 article on Fields. 

Spoiler

Top Arizona LB transfer Tony Fields breaks down his finalists

Chris Hummer

Tony Fields just finished a workout – his second of the day – and he’s ready to talk a bit about his big move ahead of the 2020 season. The former Freshman All-American and three-year starter for Arizona took a bit of a risk a few weeks ago when he opted to enter the transfer portal ahead of his senior campaign.

Approaching his decision date, Fields could not be more hyped to start fresh.

“I’m excited as hell,” Fields told 247Sports. “I’ve been working my a** off. I’ve been waiting for this senior year, my last year. This is my last chance. I’m gambling on myself. I’m putting that money in.”

Fields could’ve stayed with the Wildcats and been successful. He’s been arguably Arizona’s best defensive player since arriving on campus in 2017. He finished last season with 94 tackles, five tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and three pass breakups. Fields has totaled at least 89 tackles every year of his career.

But when Fields looked at Arizona’s chances in 2020, he had to make a stark calculus: He needed a different place to showcase his talents to increase his chances of reaching the NFL. He also wanted to win. 

“I was doing a lot of research, talking to my parents and high school coach, and we just felt like it was the best decision for me to move on for my career and future,” Fields said. “Arizona hasn’t been a good team the past two years, and me being honest, I didn’t see any progression coming any further, especially with the pandemic going on, there’s just not much we could’ve did to progress. At that point I was like, ‘It’s a business decision, and I need to do what’s best for me.’”

Looking forward, Fields is down to a final three of Minnesota, Texas and West Virginia.

Depth chart projection is a major factor in his decision, and all three schools have a need at linebacker. Fields said each of the programs has advantages when breaking things down in his head.

Minnesota: “I have a relationship with Jordan Howden and Cameron Wiley. They went to my high school. So, I already had a little inside look on what’s going on out there with their defense. My boy (Jordan) made one of the biggest plays of the season last year at Penn State. He won it for them with the pick. I’ve been watching Minnesota for a while. They were an easy no-brainer because I’ve been watching all their games. They run the same scheme as my old scheme at Arizona.”

West Virginia: “I have Coach Jahmile Addae there. He recruited me to Arizona. He’s co-defensive coordinator. The defense is almost exactly the same as it was as of UofA also. So, I’ve got an upper hand over there. I already know what’s going on with the defense.”

Texas: “When you get that scholarship offer, you can’t turn that down. You have to at least weigh out your options. I love that coaching staff. I love Coach (Tom) Herman and everything talking to them. I have to just keep my relationship with them until I can decide.”

As for a decision timeline, Fields said he’d like to make an announcement at some point in the near future, likely within the next week.

Parsing his options, Fields said the opportunity to play right away, scheme familiarity and the players who'll be around him will be the deciding factors as he evaluates.

“I don’t want to be just another guy,” Fields said. “I want to be able to stand out. That’s why I’m looking close at things like the d-linemen, the people I work with. For instance, West Virginia has those two Stills brothers that are pretty good. Texas d-linemen are huge. Minnesota’s d-linemen are huge. That’s one of the biggest factors right there, the d-linemen on the team, because without good d-line playing linebacker is pretty hard.

“I’ve never been scared to compete, but I don’t have time to compete in my career right now. It’s time to go. It’s time to go in and have an All-American season, and that’s what I’m ready to do.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Getafix said:

LSU roster lists him at 254.  Supposedly can block.  

Thanks. Might be an intriguing tackle prospect but most TEs don't like moving inside and I would suspect Texas isn't too interested in bringing in a transfer and then having him switch positions.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Thanks. Might be an intriguing tackle prospect but most TEs don't like moving inside and I would suspect Texas isn't too interested in bringing in a transfer and then having him switch positions.

Yep - agreed on the tackle take.  The guy'll be a senior.  (May have a 6th year available b/c of injuries, not sure.) Even if he's a solid blocker as a TE, I can't imagine transitioning him to tackle would be realistic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I know he's listed at 254 but ... 

4718835.JPG

Yeah I remember him being SO skinny looking as a recruit. Doesn't seem like a dude with an OL frame at all.

Already following player personnel people from Miami, Memphis and Baylor.

Edited by texifornia