2020 WR/DB Dajon Harrison

texifornia

11 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

How speedy is this speedster?

From the Brooks article @Getafix posted in the other thread:

Harrison's on-field athleticism is obvious, but there is only partial measurable context to it. He scratched his 40 time and his shuttle time at The Opening Houston regional camp in March, when he measured 5-foot-9 1/2, 170 pounds and registered a 34.2-inch vertical. Harrison's top 100-meter time is a solid 11.14. He ran the first leg of Hutto's 4x100 and 4x200 relays this past spring as well.

The lack of ideal size would be more of a concern on the defensive side of the ball than at receiver, though Harrison has shown encouraging tackling ability for a player of his build. He would have trouble with bigger receivers, particularly in red-zone situations. He is frame-limited and there won't be a lot of space to add bulk. However, if he played corner, it would give Texas a defender with terrific ball skills at the position thanks to his extensive experience on offense. His top-end speed is good relative to his frame, but shorter players typically provide more short-speed burst than top-end long speed, and that's something that occasionally shows on Harrison's tape.

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

From the Brooks article @Getafix posted in the other thread: 

Harrison's on-field athleticism is obvious, but there is only partial measurable context to it. He scratched his 40 time and his shuttle time at The Opening Houston regional camp in March, when he measured 5-foot-9 1/2, 170 pounds and registered a 34.2-inch vertical. Harrison's top 100-meter time is a solid 11.14. He ran the first leg of Hutto's 4x100 and 4x200 relays this past spring as well.

The lack of ideal size would be more of a concern on the defensive side of the ball than at receiver, though Harrison has shown encouraging tackling ability for a player of his build. He would have trouble with bigger receivers, particularly in red-zone situations. He is frame-limited and there won't be a lot of space to add bulk. However, if he played corner, it would give Texas a defender with terrific ball skills at the position thanks to his extensive experience on offense. His top-end speed is good relative to his frame, but shorter players typically provide more short-speed burst than top-end long speed, and that's something that occasionally shows on Harrison's tape.

#Texas added Hutto (Texas) High ATH Dajon Harrison tonight to the No. 6 recruiting class in the
@247Sports  Composite Team Rankings. His coach said he's "dynamite" with the ball in his hands. More on him here: https://247sports.com/Article/Hutto-High-receiver-Dajon-Harris-commits-to-Texas--138096831/ #Longhorns  @MikeRoach247   @gabrieldbrooks

14 minutes ago, pacman said:

lol he was actually close to committing to KState

Yeah the thing is he's a type that a lot of our conference mates torment us with - the fast and athletic (but not quite freakishly so) position-flexible skill position player that TXHSFB churns out a million of every year. Harrison is also supposed to check all the culture fit boxes. With good coaching and the right opportunity, he should be able to maximize his talent.

Considering the spot he's taking is Josh Eaton's, a superb athlete with mentality questions, he could easily turn out better. He could also just be roster filler, but given our luck with DB injuries, that's fine too.

Edited by texifornia

16 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

This kid looks to be a gamer. Probably will work his ass off too with a chip on his shoulder vs the higher rated recruits. Nice get.

probably would have been one of those guys Tech or KSU would have killed us with in the past.  we absolutely need more speed.

This may be the dumbest post I’ve seen all day. I mean, do you even read this thread?! This is way worse than getting no commit at all.
Universally revered scout, dbeasy, has declared he’s not excited about the Dajon commitment, grm248 knows he’ll be completely misused by the staff and have no success, just like every other slot receiver who’s played in our offense, and even motherfucking Rudinger put in the blood, sweat, and tears to look up his 247 composite rating and has declared he’s no good.
All we’re waiting for now is markstanco to come in here and opine that he’s belongs at K State-level and then we’ll have our final confirmation that Harrison is a surefire waste of a scholarship. 

Thank you for acting like an aggy and trying to belittle anyone who expresses any opinion other than every recruit is the best ever. You would be an excellent Nazi propagandist in addition to your aggy tendencies.

And thank you for your insightful defense of Orlando and expert analysis that declared no one knew what they were talking about in criticizing Orlando. You’re right. He’s been outstanding in producing to date the worst defense in Texas history.

I do like Harrison better as a receiver than a DB, but some believe he was the back-up to Eaton.

We are about to sign Jamaal Charles' cousin.  He got offered, committed almost on the spot,  loves the Longhorns and may ball out like Steve Smith, Jr.   Very nice take.   To me it is a much better take than Herman killing himself in California chasing a grade risk in Bunkley-Shelton.

Edited by lemonandaturd

54 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I will preface this by saying track times definitely don’t always directly correlate to football speed, especially when guys aren’t really serious about track or come from smaller schools that don’t have the Katy or SLC training program in place since they’re 7th graders.

Now, having said that, Chris Whaley ran an 11.10 100m in high school.  http://texastrack.com/Track 2007/07t_19-3A.htm

Seeing recruitniks try to cite an 11.14 100m as a positive for a 170 pound electric speedster WR is a bit puzzling.

He plays like lightning against reasonable HS competition on his hudl, but you're right it's not an inspiring time.

32 minutes ago, JBJ said:

And as an example Reagor's fastest 100m is 11.36.  Great but not elite.  Track doesn't always translate on a 1:1 basis.

I don’t think that’s correct. I’m pretty sure Reagor at least broke 11 in HS.  Either way, I’m not sure Reagor’s a great comparison as he had the best long jump in the entire country his senior year, so he was still elite from a track perspective, even if it wasn’t in the 100 meters.

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think that’s correct. I’m pretty sure Reagor at least broke 11 in HS.  Either way, I’m not sure Reagor’s a great comparison as he had the best long jump in the entire country his senior year, so he was still elite from a track perspective, even if it wasn’t in the 100 meters.

Maybe so.  On his athletic.net profile it says 11.36, but on the Waxahachie HS records it lists his fastest at 10.92.

The 11.36 is listed as FAT.  Doesn't say how the 10.92 was timed, but I'd bet that's the discrepancy.

This may be the dumbest post I’ve seen all day. I mean, do you even read this thread?! This is way worse than getting no commit at all.
Universally revered scout, dbeasy, has declared he’s not excited about the Dajon commitment, grm248 knows he’ll be completely misused by the staff and have no success, just like every other slot receiver who’s played in our offense, and even motherfucking Rudinger put in the blood, sweat, and tears to look up his 247 composite rating and has declared he’s no good.
All we’re waiting for now is markstanco to come in here and opine that he’s belongs at K State-level and then we’ll have our final confirmation that Harrison is a surefire waste of a scholarship. 
Did lol. I'll take my lumps.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I’m not sure who is more annoying, the “stars don’t matter!!” guy, or the “I’m not sufficiently excited about x recruit because his ranking is too low” guy.

So you like the, "I saw his film and he is quite underrated".

The fuck is wrong with people around here?

Our slot/CB take "only" runs a 11.14 100 meters and people are freaking out. Look, if we have a cornerback who runs 100 meters in a straight line on a play then guess what? We fucked up on that play, the end. And slots don't run straight most of the time, that's basically the entire idea of playing in the slot. Y'all are worried about some really unimportant shit on here.

Call me when he posts a shitty shuttle time, or even 40 time if you have to have something to complain about.

Also, the best thing on his midseason highlights HUDL is the middle linebacker on the play at the 1:43 mark. He basically says fuck it at the end of the play. If I ran all this way I'm going to dive, I don't care if he's already scoring and I'm 5 yards away.

• Like 5

Also, the best thing on his midseason highlights HUDL is the middle linebacker on the play at the 1:43 mark. He basically says fuck it at the end of the play. If I ran all this way I'm going to dive, I don't care if he's already scoring and I'm 5 yards away.

I liked this one, too, but I cried when his high school offense executed a tunnel screen better than I've ever seen a Texas offense run it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...