Recommend me a built-in outdoor grill

Storm the Field

3 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

I put in a gas fireplace in our outdoor kitchen and love it.  To me it transforms the area from a patio to an outdoor living room.  My goal was to make the space useable all year.  

This ^

Fireplace or not, anything you can do to make it feel less like just a patio and more like additional square footage is money well spent.  I’ve done 2 pools with outdoor kitchens/dining/lounging/fireplace/whatever and I’ve never regretted a single penny I’ve spent.  Most of the splurges and shit like that I’ve done, I probably look back and regret spending THAT much money (cars, vacations, etc).  But not the case when it comes to outdoor space.  Only regrets were not doing something more...i.e. the second one we did, we decided not to do a hot tub because we “hardly ever used our last one”...and we really wish we had.  One time in life where excess probably is best in my opinion.

• Like 1

Really great info brothers and you all have some really awesome outdoor living spaces. I would be happy with half of what you all have.  At my current home we have a really nice patio but its definitely not an outdoor extension of the interior. That's really what I'm wanting in this next house.

At my ranch we have a large outdoor fire pit that we use nearly everytime we are there when temperatures allow. But it's kinda a romance thing in my mind. Country shit you know. Lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Really great info brothers and you all have some really awesome outdoor living spaces. I would be happy with half of what you all have.  At my current home we have a really nice patio but its definitely not an outdoor extension of the interior. That's really what I'm wanting in this next house.

At my ranch we have a large outdoor fire pit that we use nearly everytime we are there when temperatures allow. But it's kinda a romance thing in my mind. Country shit you know. Lol. 

Aaaaaaand...you win.  Dude I would love to have a place in Dallas and a place in the country.  Props man

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 2:09 PM, Landomatic said:

Conversation begins and ends with this.  And I don't think it's even close.  This is Weber's only built in grill option.  After some exhaustive research, which included talking to a lot of neighbors and buddies and even using some of their more common ones (Bull comes to mind which is one a lot of builders use), this is where I landed.  I've put one in each of the last two outdoor kitchens I've built.  And when I build my next one, that's what I'll get.  Even if I buy a place that already has an outdoor kitchen, I'll tear it out and put in one of these.

You pay a little extra, but it's worth it.  And yes, they may have a couple bells and whistles that you think you don't need (i.e. rotisserie) but you're paying extra for the Weber.  And the best model that Weber makes.  Plus it's not that much more than most other brands...a few hundred bucks maybe.  Also, these come with storage underneath which most don't have so it's probably about a wash if you were to add the doors for that.  And I'd be shocked if it doesn't last ten plus years.

I did the 4 burner my first round and the 6 burner my second round.  I'll probably just go back to the 4 burner when I do another one.  Only difference is grilling capacity and I really didn't need all that space very often as I don't entertain a whole lot.  But if you cook for a lot of people, go with the 6.

Pretty sure you can find them a little cheaper than what the Weber site has them listed at if you shop it around right and maybe catch a sale.  But even at full retail...worth every penny.  Thank me later.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/summit-series/7260001.html?cgid=221#start=1

7260001B_1800x1800.png?fit=fill&h=950&w=

Or the larger one...

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/summit-series/7460001.html?cgid=221#start=1

7360001_1800x1800.png?fit=fill&h=950&w=1

We are expanding our patio at our vacation cabin, and I keep contemplating adding a built-in grill.  If we do, it'll be a Weber because I have Weber Genesis Silver made in the USA that will be 19 years old this May.  It's been through rain, hail, blizzards, and temperatures ranging from -25 to 117.  I've accidentally left the burners on overnight (and for two days once), and most of the time I don't remember to go back out and cover it after it cools down, so it's usually fully exposed to the elements.  I have thrown hundreds of pounds of hardwood chunks right on the flavorizor (sp?) bars even thought that's not advised, and I all I do is clean out the ashes a couple of times a year.  It's survived two moves.  I've replaced about $250 worth of parts, but that's it.  I'd bet just about anything that it will see 25 years.  I'm brand loyal to Weber.

Last I checked, Weber still makes their higher-end grills (like the Summit) in the USA.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

We are expanding our patio at our vacation cabin, and I keep contemplating adding a built-in grill.  If we do, it'll be a Weber because I have Weber Genesis Silver made in the USA that will be 19 years old this May.  It's been through rain, hail, blizzards, and temperatures ranging from -25 to 117.  I've accidentally left the burners on overnight (and for two days once), and most of the time I don't remember to go back out and cover it after it cools down, so it's usually fully exposed to the elements.  I have thrown hundreds of pounds of hardwood chunks right on the flavorizor (sp?) bars even thought that's not advised, and I all I do is clean out the ashes a couple of times a year.  It's survived two moves.  I've replaced about $250 worth of parts, but that's it.  I'd bet just about anything that it will see 25 years.  I'm brand loyal to Weber.

Last I checked, Weber still makes their higher-end grills (like the Summit) in the USA.

I am too.  It might be the one brand I’m truly 100% loyal to.  There are a couple others I’m pretty loyal with, but Weber is the most and it’s not even close.

Aside from lasting forever and great customer service, the damn things just cook better than anything else I’ve ever cooked on.  I just moved into a new house from a condo where we couldn’t have a grill for 2 years and was forced to use the community grill.  One of the first things I did when I got in the new house was get a little 2 burner LP Spirit as a temporary fix until we get our pool/outdoor kitchen done.  I’ll be damned if that little thing doesn’t cook better than any other grill I’ve ever used.  Even temps and precision cooking like no other.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I am too.  It might be the one brand I’m truly 100% loyal to.  There are a couple others I’m pretty loyal with, but Weber is the most and it’s not even close.

Aside from lasting forever and great customer service, the damn things just cook better than anything else I’ve ever cooked on.  I just moved into a new house from a condo where we couldn’t have a grill for 2 years and was forced to use the community grill.  One of the first things I did when I got in the new house was get a little 2 burner LP Spirit as a temporary fix until we get our pool/outdoor kitchen done.  I’ll be damned if that little thing doesn’t cook better than any other grill I’ve ever used.  Even temps and precision cooking like no other.

I bought my son and his wife a Weber Spirit almost 4 years ago when they were in their first apartment.

They claim to be very satisfied, but they'd never tell me if they weren't.

8 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I bought my son and his wife a Weber Spirit almost 4 years ago when they were in their first apartment.

They claim to be very satisfied, but they'd never tell me if they weren't.

I bet they love it.  Honestly...it’s all I probably ever need.  If I were smart (I’m not), I’d just keep it as my main grill.  Cooks better than anything I’ve ever cooked on and I’ve easily been able to fit enough food for 4 on it which would cover 99% of my cooks.  Granted, I’ve lived with shit for the last 2 years so maybe  I’m just easy to impress.  But I had a couple of badasses for several years before that so I do have something to compare to.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Figured I should bump this thread since I started it 15 months ago. Here's the finished product, my favorite part of the new house.

IMG_1917.thumb.jpg.99c36db43386285354b70f3431ec09b0.jpg

There's a wall-mounted TV in the corner where I was standing to take the picture. Made sure to position it where you can watch from the fire pit that is out of frame down near the pool. 

Only complaint is that it gets rather smoky when I'm using the BGE, so have to stick a big box fan on the counter to blow smoke outwards from the patio. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2