Add Cattle Eye Worm Larvae in your eye as another thing to fear

crash_davis

https://gizmodo.com/a-second-woman-has-gotten-parasitic-eye-worms-and-sure-1839670950

One day, as she was running along a trail, she went straight into a swarm of flies. Unbeknownst to her, she had likely run into a particular kind of fly known as the face fly, or Musca autumnalis. That’s because, a month later, an irritation in her right eye led her to the horrifying discovery of a tiny translucent roundworm, no longer than a half-inch in size.

“The vector fly will expel larvae onto the surface of the eye or the conjunctiva while feeding on lacrimal secretions (tears, etc.). This can happen very quickly, so the fly would not have had to sit on the eye for more than a few seconds to expel the larvae,” lead author Richard Bradbury, a former member of the CDC’s Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, told Gizmodo by email. “Normally people would shoo any flies near their eyes away before they could do this, but in this case the patient had run into so many flies at once that she could not shoo them all away before one expelled larvae onto her eye.”

Gustafson washed out the worm with tap water. Soon, though, she found and extracted a second one. A visit to the ophthalmologist the day after then yielded a third wiggler. Weeks later, she had returned home to Nebraska but continued to experience inflammation in both eyes. A subsequent visit to another ophthalmologist turned up nothing, but lo and behold, she eventually pulled out a fourth worm.

https://gizmodo.com/after-eight-days-of-itchy-eyes-oregon-woman-finds-14-w-1822966039

A 26-year-old Oregon woman is believed to be the first human ever reported to be infected with a certain species of eye worm.

The woman’s case, reported in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene Monday, began in the summer of 2015, soon after she returned home from a ranch in Gold Beach, Oregon, where she had been horseback riding. She first felt a irritation in her left eye, along with the nagging feeling that something was stuck in it. Eight days in, she made the sort of find you’d expect to see in a meandering, boring spin-off to Cloverfield—a small, translucent worm in her eye.

“I looked down and on my finger was a worm, and it was squiggling around for five seconds and it died,” the woman, Abby Beckley, told KVAL Tuesday. “Everyone asks me what my reaction was, and I was just shocked.”

Beckley then went back home and saw a parade of doctors who each took out their own respective souvenirs. Rather than give her anti-worm medication (which is often used to treat infections of this parasitic worm family in humans), the doctors opted to have them all manually extracted through tweezers and irrigation of the eye. By day 20, the symptoms finally stopped, but only after a total of 14—14!—worms were pulled out.

18 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

Let me ask, as a brand new first time father, wtf is you talkin bout??

You have much to learn, young Padawan. Pinworms live in the butt hole. They crawl out at night to lay eggs around the host's starfish. The eggs are then spread to clothing, sheets, couch, etc. You will eventually touch these surfaces and unknowingly transfer the eggs to your mouth and infect yourself. Now, you may be thinking "that'll never happen to me, I wash my hands religiously, and I never touch my face." Not so fast, my friend. Due to the eggs weighing so little, they can be blown around, tossed airborne while your kid takes off their clothes, etc. So no matter how good you are about hand-washing, they'll just drift into your mouth on their own. Enjoy!

If you'd like to know if you, your child, or your wife are infected, wait until they fall asleep then shine a flashlight on their asshole. If you see a little white worm wiggling around, then you know. But unless you want to have that mental image for the rest of your life, my recommendation is to NOT do that, particularly with your wife.

Pinworm medication can be found at your friendly neighborhood pharmacy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

You have much to learn, young Padawan. Pinworms live in the butt hole. They crawl out at night to lay eggs around the host's starfish. The eggs are then spread to clothing, sheets, couch, etc. You will eventually touch these surfaces and unknowingly transfer the eggs to your mouth and infect yourself. Now, you may be thinking "that'll never happen to me, I wash my hands religiously, and I never touch my face." Not so fast, my friend. Due to the eggs weighing so little, they can be blown around, tossed airborne while your kid takes off their clothes, etc. So no matter how good you are about hand-washing, they'll just drift into your mouth on their own. Enjoy!

If you'd like to know if you, your child, or your wife are infected, wait until they fall asleep then shine a flashlight on their asshole. If you see a little white worm wiggling around, then you know. But unless you want to have that mental image for the rest of your life, my recommendation is to NOT do that, particularly with your wife.

Is this a common thing? Have literally never heard of this...sounds like your young one got this? Is it daycare related or something?

I think they're spread most easily at school/daycare, but I suppose you can get them anywhere. Quick google search indicates they are the most common parasitic infection in the US, and approximately 50% of children will get them at some point. From my experience, 100% of their household will then get them. 

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Do the kids skooch around on the rug like dogs do?  That would be funny.

Kinda.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

which begs the question, where the fuck do you guys live?  the amazon?

Google "Hookworms" in the south.  Crazy.  Thoughts are/were that they infected tens of millions.  Up to 40% of the total US population at one point.  From the Civil War through the 50's.  caused what many suspected as the slow, lethargic caricature of the typical southern person.  

How a worm gave the south a bad name

“You had an entire class of Southern society—including whites, blacks, and Native Americans—that was looked upon as shiftless, lazy good-for-nothings who can’t do a day’s work,” my mom explained to me. “Hookworms tainted the nation’s picture of what a Southerner looked and acted like.”

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

i have two college aged children and i have NEVER heard of pinworms. i guess thankfully. 

i would've jumped a cauldron of burning roseanne barr fat grease if i'd seen a pinworm coming out of any family member's asses.

But did you ever shine a flashlight on their assholes while they slept? Most people don't have any symptoms so they never know they have them. My wife heard about them from someone and investigated the kids that night. If she hadn't heard that, we probably never would've known.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

which begs the question, where the fuck do you guys live?  the amazon?

As stated above, 50% of American children will get them at some point

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Do the kids skooch around on the rug like dogs do?  That would be funny.

Kinda.

That would be funny. The kids didn't. They never got itchy. Honestly, I don't know if I actually got itchy (or if I even had them), but my brain sure as fuck told me there were worms that I needed to dig out. An additional note from my experience is that it doesn't appear possible to overdose on dewormer. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Milk is what I heard. Milk will draw a tapeworm up and out. 

Had to think about it, I think the story involved both milk AND a cookie for a week or so and then just the milk. Worm wonders where his cookie is and then it's hatchet time. Or for the Surly, a tomahawk.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:43 AM, SquishMitten said:

Due to the eggs weighing so little, they can be blown around, tossed airborne while your kid takes off their clothes, etc. So no matter how good you are about hand-washing, they'll just drift into your mouth on their own. Enjoy!

I think someone needs to figure out how to put buttworm eggs into a cropduster and then take a few passes over College Station. 

26 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I think someone needs to figure out how to put buttworm eggs into a cropduster and then take a few passes over College Station. 

instead of jizzing in a jar, those sick bastards my start a turdition of plucking buttworms into a assjuice jar and then jizz to it. next level!